As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jumpgate Evolution - put that joystick to use, son.

• Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Newtonian space sims feel like jousting matches. There was this pretty good (free) Babylon 5 fan made sim that did newtonian physics well. Ugh, closing speeds and directional vectors were so important and difficult to master on a flat screen.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    Arcadey is cool, flying sideways as fast as you can fly forwards is silly :D
    You accelerate. You kill the engines. You turn 90 degrees. If only reality obeyed Newtonian physics. ;-)

Glal on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hazywater wrote: »
    Newtonian space sims feel like jousting matches. There was this pretty good (free) Babylon 5 fan made sim that did newtonian physics well. Ugh, closing speeds and directional vectors were so important and difficult to master on a flat screen.

Hm... You must suck at space sims then.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009

If you want a sustained engagement, you do not close head on. You only do that if you are looking for the shortest possible engagement envelope. I agree that it requires a LOT more thought about what you are doing, and I really look forward to playing a game where that is so.

Leave the mindless pointing and clicking to the guys in your crew that handle boarding actions. :P

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

awww so cute. You're pretty dumb.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

awww so cute. You're pretty dumb.

That reply marks your intelligence as well. ~shrugs~

I loved me some Newtonian physics in Allegiance. God, the crazy shit you could pull.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pax Arcadia!

Honestly this game looks like it can cut out all the parts I didn't like about eve. I can actually fly my spaceship and shoot the guns! Yay!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Every time you fags say Newtonian physics I hear John Travolta go "Euclidean Geometry!". Oh no, that drawer sticks, I shall apply... SURFACE FRICTION MODIFIERS!

Glal on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone play freelancer online? This reminds me of that

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Every time you fags say Newtonian physics I hear John Travolta go "Euclidean Geometry!". Oh no, that drawer sticks, I shall apply... SURFACE FRICTION MODIFIERS!

Well, it is rather strange a situation, that such an overwhelming percentage of games use screwy phyisics that you have to specify explicity when one comes close to correct.

[tiny]Don't grammar nazi me please, that sentence makes sense in my head.[/tiny]

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey guys, how about we call ourselves "Pretentious Asteroids"

Jeix on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jeix wrote: »

I found this cute.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

I found this cute.

I support this

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We need more scifi mmos. Eve is too hands off. I used to play Earth and Beyond and that was a step in the right direction. Dice are for dungeons.

Doomulon on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2009
    i will play this

Unknown User on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think these guys are subsisting entirely on people who liked Earth and Beyond. I know, there aren't many of us.

Earth and Beyond scratched an itch that EVE does not.

This really isn't an EnB type game... EnB was still dice roles and easy piloting.

Based on the Youtube this sounds a lot more like Jump to Lightspeed done right, which, considering how good JTL could have been, has me very excited.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I've been looking forward to this game so much. <3

Lewisham on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I find it amusing that people think that those NOT using Newtonian physics will have the advantage. Every (admittedly infrequent) time I've seen the option, turning it off engaged a sort of "noob" mode that basically did automatic thrust controlling to keep you from having lateral motion respective to the ship. It really limited the amount of crazy maneuvering you could do, with regards to strafing and orbiting. If I recall, this is how it works in the previous Jumpgate game, so I expect this is how it will work in JE too. Seems fairer to me too, since those who aren't used to it can get some assistance with flying, and those willing to learn or who have the skill can still perform the crazy maneuvers.

also: I have been waiting for this game since I found out it existed. I signed up for the beta back at PAX.

Please give me a valid reason to dust off my X-52!

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have glorious visions of out-maneuvering a player enemy fighter while gliding along the hull of a bigger ship... make this impossibly sharp turn and a quick change of direction right after and then unlucky fucker crashes right into what I just avoided.

If this game can give me anything that feels even remotely like that I'll praise the creators as gods.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

This guy? This guy right here?

He's one of the good'uns.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Alright, so lets get a list of people who want to start a guild for the beta.

put this character in your post if you are wanting in on things: !join

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a secret sign! :o Were you a boy scout too when you were but a wee Bendery?
    §

Aldo on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would totally do this.

§

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    It's a secret sign! :o Were you a boy scout too when you were but a wee Bendery?
    §

yes it is, but the character is just easier for me to search for.

Now i just realized that you have to have at least 5 characters to specify a search even in a thread.

So i guess we just do

!join

• Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Or you could combine the secretive with the join. And get §join.
    Or !join works too I guess. Not as cool though. Also fully supporting "Pretentious Asteroids". Jeix has made a good thing.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In phalla we use fancy colours so the host only has to skim the text for any orders. I guess searching the thread works too. Anyway !join in case you weren't going to write names down till later or something. Also :^: on Pretentious Asteroids.

Aldo on
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad the name is going over so well, I was sort of just joking around.
    !join

Jeix on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    !join

Yo.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Man, I've been looking forward to this game so much. <3

I was a huge fan of the first Jumpgate; played the hell out of it.

I'm looking forward to this one, but when they basically shut down their beta sign-ups, then sent out an email to everyone who had applied saying they should reapply, well... that struck me as a bit sketchy.

I still half-expect this is vaporware, but I certainly hope it's not.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Looks like I'll also need everyone's Email address. So I figure I'll get a list over the weekend, then ask everyone to PM me their Email addresses and then we will sign up.

Remember
    here are a limited number of Guild Beta spots available for both open and closed beta and not every guild that applies will be admitted. Please be aware that at this stage a maximum of 50 keys will be distributed per guild, with the option for more keys to be distributed over time depending on a guild's performance and activity.

Please also be aware that if your guild is selected for closed beta, it is limited to players 18 years of age or older and requires each member to accept a Non Disclosure Agreement provided upon your guild's acceptance.

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    !join count me in!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think I'll take a pass, unless there is a first person part where you can walk around inside your ship. :P

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This looks like Allegiance with an actual point and less of a cockbag community.

I'd love to get in on the guild beta, but don't have much free time.

Toss me on a waitlist or somesuch in case you have empty spaces.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    This looks like Allegiance with an actual point and less of a cockbag community.

I'd love to get in on the guild beta, but don't have much free time.

Toss me on a waitlist or somesuch in case you have empty spaces.

I'm a member of the allegiance community, we are not cockbags.

You must have just been a douche (we don't like douches)

List so far
    Kajusta
    Jeix
    Aldo
    Jobastion
    Bendery it like Beckham
    Shorn Scrotum Man
    dispatch.o

when we get between 10-20 I'll start asking for emails.

• Options
    edited February 2009
    add me to the list :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    or !join

whatevs

we aint got rules in lockup

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    course it's shanked or be shanked.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm in and !Join

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This looks fantastic. Count me in, !join, whatever.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah count me in as well. I need something new.

Doomulon on