As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I be a daddy, daddy?

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Worms have like, a million hearts. I'm still going to smush'm till they stop wiggling though.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    it's funny how some people think death is the worst that can happen to someone

it's really, REALLY funny

And in this case it's not necessarily death but more like nonexistence.

yeah

I tend to stay away from arguments that try to determine when "life" begins, but I'm sure if I were to actually think on it honestly, I'd probably come to the conclusion that a fetus doesn't know what's going on until it's hit the third trimester or so

still, I look at this strictly based on the well-being of the child AFTER birth and of the ability for the parents to be allowed to make such a choice if they deem it necessary

If it has a heartbeat, it's a living thing.

This is my opinion.
    A pigeon is a living thing. What's your point?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    don't abort metronomes
    pro-time

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    it's funny how some people think death is the worst thing that can happen to someone

What's really hilarious is how some people think they know for a fact death is the best possible option for someone they don't even know!

well I never said "best", either

my point is that speaking in extremes is not helpful to anyone

aborting a fetus is not the right choice ALL THE TIME and it is not the wrong choice ALL THE TIME, either

it comes down to being able to have that choice

I state what I state because people like to slap on "adoption" as this end-all be-all solution to unwanted children when it's not that, there are very serious things that people should consider before that

naturally I side with the idea that people who can't handle the idea of having a child should not be having irresponsible sex in the first place, but again, in the case of a rape or failed birth control, having abortion as an option is incredibly important... for both the well-being of the child and that of the parents

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hacksaw wrote: »

yeah

I tend to stay away from arguments that try to determine when "life" begins, but I'm sure if I were to actually think on it honestly, I'd probably come to the conclusion that a fetus doesn't know what's going on until it's hit the third trimester or so

still, I look at this strictly based on the well-being of the child AFTER birth and of the ability for the parents to be allowed to make such a choice if they deem it necessary

This is my opinion.

My point is going around killing pigeons wouldn't be right either.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Vorus wrote: »
    don't abort metronomes
    pro-time

why should time tell me when something happens who made it in charge
    pro-independence

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

yeah

This is my opinion.

Hello Mr Black&White!

They've made artificial hearts grown from stemcells.

All it is is a heart that pumps blood.

It doesn't feed anything, it just pumps blood, purely as an expression of science.

Is that heart alive?

Blake T on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The worst thing is laying down a sweet achewood quote and no one picking up on it

Javen on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    have any of you ever been out at night where there are nightcrawlers? shit is pretty cool

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    Vorus wrote: »
    don't abort metronomes
    pro-time

why should time tell me when something happens who made it in charge
    pro-independence

pro-shut up you hoser

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

yeah

This is my opinion.

My point is going around killing pigeons wouldn't be right either.
    Yes, because god knows there's a dearth of pigeons. Just like there's a dearth of humans.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem a lot of people have is there is no ironclad date that we can consider a mass of cells to be "life". Some people say it's at the first sign of electrical activity in the brain, some people say it's at the first heartbeat, some people say it's at 168 days, some people say it's at birth, some people say it's at conception.

If we could track down a point where we could widely consider a difference between sccraping out a mass of cells and killing a child, I think we'd have better odds at compromise between the two groups.

It should either be at birth or at conception, there really shouldn't be any willy nilly between them. Otherwise it is just compromises and questions one what is potential life.

The thing that I think about most is when should it be classified as a human life, as compared to an animal life.

Please, let us not start a hate train on this. I can feel it's heat already but I think this is a valid entry.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    how about a utilitarian viewpoint

rather than making an uproar about unwanted children being aborted (children that would have been born into families unable to sustain them), we focus on making sure that the people that are ALREADY alive, stay alive.

you know like in places that aren't america or europe.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also maximum zero, if that's your definition, the heart beat isn't developed until the 12th week of pregnancy, it's therefore cool to kill it before then right?

Blake T on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »

rather than making an uproar about unwanted children being aborted (children that would have been born into families unable to sustain them), we focus on making sure that the people that are ALREADY alive, stay alive.

:O!

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    some would state "would you gamble the kid's chance of having a good life against not living at all?"

others would state "I'd rather game the kid's chance of having a bad life against not suffering at all?"

then it comes down to what you value most: the idea that the kid still has a chance at a good life, if a reduced chance... or the idea that a kid will suffer in some form or another at some stage in his life regardless of his upbringing or the cards he was dealt... or the idea that if you know the kid is not going to be born into a willing-to-adopt family and will instead spend years in foster care or even group homes, you will do what you can to ensure that no flesh-and-blood of yours ever suffers like that unless you can ensure that it can be provided what it needs (from emotional to basic health needs)

I think a lot of people think that those who do choose to abort take the decision lightly, while a lot of others think that those who REFUSE to abort take the decision out of mindless religious faith

neither of these is true and it'd be pretty damn nice if everyone remembered that

me? I only care that the choice exists, so naturally I have a beef with sanctimonious pro-lifers

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

an earthshaking idea sir

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »
    It should either be at birth or at conception, there really shouldn't be any willy nilly between them.

jigrah i agree with you on this

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Also maximum zero, if that's your definition, the heart beat isn't developed until the 12th week of pregnancy, it's therefore cool to kill it before then right?

Crowbars, cricket bats or hockey sticks?

we shall have such a lovely time

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it's funny how some people think death is the worst thing that can happen to someone

What's really hilarious is how some people think they know for a fact death is the best possible option for someone they don't even know!

aborting a fetus is not the right choice ALL THE TIME and it is not the wrong choice ALL THE TIME, either

I state what I state because people like to slap on "adoption" as this end-all be-all solution to unwanted children when it's not that, there are very serious things that people should consider before that

naturally I side with the idea that people who can't handle the idea of having a child should not be having irresponsible sex in the first place, but again, in the case of a rape or failed birth control, having abortion as an option is incredibly important... for both the well-being of the child and that of the parents

Oh I agree with most of all that. I don't see my post as any kind of rebuttal but rather a similar observation of the opposite prospective.

But I think you're being a bit contradictory now when you jumped all over that one dude in the beginning for simply saying he feels they did the right thing. He can't possibly know that to be true but wishing the best for the child doesn't make him a bad person. Just a bit naive.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Viv did you see my post on the Pillowman?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Don't be retarded.

You use coat hangers.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm pretty sure that fits with the United States abortion laws.

Javen on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Don't be retarded.

You use coat hangers.

Not nearly as fun

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Don't be retarded.

You use coat hangers.
    how am i supposed to fit a whole wooden coat hanger way up in there?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Don't be retarded.

You use coat hangers.
    Rusty ones. You won't make the unborn baby children scream, otherwise.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Lockout wrote: »

an earthshaking idea sir

Or, I don't know, you could make those places take care of themselves. I mean, that President of [Insert Foreign Country Here] could maybe live without that giant palace and fleet of cars and maybe use some of that money to feed his own damn people.

There are people starving in the streets in the United States, why the fuck are we bailing out other countries when we have plenty of hungry people here?

Einhander on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

an earthshaking idea sir
    Or hey, actually acknowledge that there are poor/impoverished/starving Americans and Europeans.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I skimmed through the first page of this goin' "aw man, this is gonna turn ugly"

"But perhaps they're talkin' about fucks who get overly snippy about their coffee at Starbucks now"

clickin' on the last page, I've discovered that it has turned ugly

I find the Sun questionable at all times for some reason, and here I find it quite odd how eeringly eager this kid was at takin' care of a baby.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Oh I agree with most of all that. I don't see my post as any kind of rebuttal but rather a similar observation of the opposite prospective.

But I think you're being a bit contradictory now when you jumped all over that one dude in the beginning for simply saying he feels they did the right thing. He can't possibly know that to be true but wishing the best for the child doesn't make him a bad person. Just a bit naive.
    fair enough, and yes it's likely I read a bit more of the "holier-than-thou" attitude into the post than he even intended to put in there

I also reacted badly when it seems like he didn't read the whole article... the kids didn't abort because "god says it's wrong"... they didn't abort because THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT WENT INTO TAKING CARE OF A CHILD and figured that "mummy and daddy will help us out"

THAT... and the idea that maximumzero believes they did the "right" thing... annoys the SHIT out of me

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It doesn't look good when you're seen to be helping those people on the streets that everyone ignores and doesn't want around.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    that still falls in line with what i am saying

Faricazy on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Einhander wrote: »

an earthshaking idea sir

Or, I don't know, you could make those places take care of themselves. I mean, that President of [Insert Foreign Country Here] could maybe live without that giant palace and fleet of cars and maybe use some of that money to feed his own damn people.

There are people starving in the streets in the United States, why the fuck are we bailing out other countries when we have plenty of hungry people here?

Because the pretty people on TV want to help Africa and not Appalachia.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    fuck guys, how about we just help poor and impoverished people no matter where the fuck they're from

they're still goddamned people

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

fair enough, and yes it's likely I read a bit more of the "holier-than-thou" attitude into the post than he even intended to put in there

I also reacted badly when it seems like he didn't read the whole article... the kids didn't abort because "god says it's wrong"... they didn't abort because THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT WENT INTO TAKING CARE OF A CHILD and figured that "mummy and daddy will help us out"

THAT... and the idea that maximumzero believes they did the "right" thing... annoys the SHIT out of me

Kids say the darndest things.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I did, and my brain hurts just reading the synopsis, but I think I will have to check it out to see how it all happens and is executed

seems quite interesting

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    fuck guys, how about we just help poor and impoverished people no matter where the fuck they're from

Yeah but they don't smell nice

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

But our people are more important than their people.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I did, and my brain hurts just reading the synopsis, but I think I will have to check it out to see how it all happens and is executed

seems quite interesting
    It really is. I saw it when it was touring off-Broadway, and it was fucking fantastic. Best play of that year, in my opinion.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I see what you're saying, Viv. Fucking brits!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist