As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acid Rain fights Global Warming?

Mad_MorlockMad_Morlock Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
There's a new treatment being suggested for Global Warming by Paul Crutzen (Nobel laureate).

Inject huge amounts of sulfur into the atmosphere to increase Earth's albedo, thereby reflecting more light and heat back into space.

Sounds like risky business from the beginning. The environmental impact could cause thousands upon thousands of species to become extinct and generate a whole new host of problems.

I've heard otherwise, but is there any chance that injecting huge quantities of chemicals into the atmosphere could speed the melt of the polar ice caps?

Mad_Morlock on

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    This plan stinks.

Shinto on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    This plan stinks.
    Sulfur wordplay?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    This plan stinks.
    Sulfur wordplay?

Do you have to ask?

Shinto on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Afaik the same actually works with exhausting fumes.
    The dirt particles in the atmosphere reflect the sunlight.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Shinto wrote:
    This plan stinks.
    Sulfur wordplay?

Do you have to ask?
    It's been a long day.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    We could just set off a couple of nukes. Nuclear winter will cool the planet down.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Despite the fact its no laughing matter I cant stop giggling at the idea of this.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Coldred wrote:
    We could just set off a couple of nukes. Nuclear winter will cool the planet down.

Nuclear winter was based off a flawed model (from what I recall from class). There would actually be "nuclear autumn," where certain localized areas would have light blocked off but others wouldn't, or something to that effect.

One of the scientists who did the more complex simulations that corrected the initial nuclear winter projections was talking to our class. He gave it as an example of an ethical dilemma they faced, because their research boiled down to "nuclear war: not so bad after all"

MrMister on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MrMister wrote:
    Coldred wrote:

Nuclear winter was based off a flawed model (from what I recall from class). There would actually be "nuclear autumn," where certain localized areas would have light blocked off but others wouldn't, or something to that effect.

One of the scientists who did the more complex simulations that corrected the initial nuclear winter projections was talking to our class. He gave it as an example of an ethical dilemma they faced, because their research boiled down to "nuclear war: not so bad after all"
    Best title for a research paper, ever.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    There's a new treatment being suggested for Global Warming by Paul Crutzen (Nobel laureate).

Inject huge amounts of sulfur into the atmosphere to increase Earth's albedo, thereby reflecting more light and heat back into space.

Didn't he come out and say he isn't seriously proposing this just yet and saying that this is just what would be necessary if we continue on our current path?
    Sounds like risky business from the beginning. The environmental impact could cause thousands upon thousands of species to become extinct and generate a whole new host of problems.

I've heard otherwise, but is there any chance that injecting huge quantities of chemicals into the atmosphere could speed the melt of the polar ice caps?

Perhaps. If said chemicals cause the snow to change colour, this would lower raise the normally very high albedo of the snow and cause it to absorb more energy. I'm not sure if sulfur particles would do that, though.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Coldred wrote:
    Best title for a research paper, ever.

The guy was actually kind of pissed off, because some magazine or paper was doing a story on the research, and that was basically the title of the article they ran.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    MrMister wrote:
    Coldred wrote:

o_O

Perhaps it should read "Nuclear War: The aftereffects aren't so bad, but the US still has enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world many times over!"

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fox news ---> "Nuclear Winter, or Wussy Liberal Media Scam? We'll tell you why nuking Iraq is a potent option"

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Perhaps. If said chemicals cause the snow to change colour, this would lower raise the normally very high albedo of the snow and cause it to absorb more energy. I'm not sure if sulfur particles would do that, though.

I've been wondering the same thing. Apparently there's no effect, but the same article said soot from fossil fuels washes off the ice caps rather quickly rather than settling and building up layers, which I'm iffy about as well.

I'm just curious, because if it does have an effect on the albedo, you'd be looking at quite a backlash. If the ice caps start to melt faster then wouldn't you be seeing a runaway greenhouse effect as more moisture ends up in the atmosphere?

Does any know what the projections are for if the Antarctic ice cap melts? And I'm not just talking about rising waters. What happens when you take several billion tons of matter off of one point of the Earth's crust?

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    As I understand it though, the ice caps melting would be less of a problem them dumping thousands of tons of particulate sulfur into the atmosphere, if only because we can reasonably expect to manage flows of water and sea levels (it would be expensive as all hell, but it could be done). The same is hardly true of atmospheric gases.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    As I understand it though, the ice caps melting would be less of a problem them dumping thousands of tons of particulate sulfur into the atmosphere, if only because we can reasonably expect to manage flows of water and sea levels (it would be expensive as all hell, but it could be done). The same is hardly true of atmospheric gases.

I also thought that rising sea levels would mostly be caused by the oceans heating up (and the millions of tons of water expanding ever-so-slightly with temperature) rather than the ice caps melting.

Am I mistaken?

MrMister on
  • Options
    BandettaBandetta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This seems like a terrible idea to me, but then I'm not a climatologist.

Neither are most of the people in this thread, I'd wager.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

I've been wondering the same thing. Apparently there's no effect, but the same article said soot from fossil fuels washes off the ice caps rather quickly rather than settling and building up layers, which I'm iffy about as well.

I'm just curious, because if it does have an effect on the albedo, you'd be looking at quite a backlash. If the ice caps start to melt faster then wouldn't you be seeing a runaway greenhouse effect as more moisture ends up in the atmosphere?

Water vapor is a greenhouse gas, but clouds are not. Clouds actually contribute to the effect that this guy is trying to create. So, clouds form when water vapor finds little particular matter to collect around. Well, sulfur particles works just fine for that purpose. What you might actually see is a huge upshot in clouds, which would drastically reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the surface. This could very easily run away into a deep ice age

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I'm not a climatologist either. Nor am I a geologist. Keep that in mind for what follows.

The northern ice cap could melt with very little worries.

But the southern ice cap sits over a land mass. The combined mass of several billion tons of ice causes the entire techtonic plate to be pushed inwards about 500 meters. Projections for the melt figure it rising *very* slowly. So says Cool Antarctica.com

Does this take into account the amount of pressure residing on other techtonic plates that would be relieved if Antarctica rose half a kilometer? Wouldn't the whole Pacific Ring of Fire go apeshit as Earth's molten core sudden had that much pressure relieved from its surface?

The whole crust might shift.

It probably happened about 12,000 years ago to move the Hudson Bay from being the previous North Pole to its new position, hence the nice circular depression of the Bay.

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    The soot...washes off the polar ice caps? Did it mention how?

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't know. Like I said it sounded like bullshit.
    Snow falling at the South Pole takes about 100 000 years to "flow" to the coast of Antarctica before it drops off the end as part of an iceberg.

You'd think layers of soot would take just as long.

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Problem 1: Define "sudden"

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Geological terms? Or in terms relative to the human lifespan?

The ice caps melting in the space of ten or twenty years would be pretty fucking sudden on geological terms.

You wouldn't need much change in mass distribution... just take off enough weight to get the Ring of Fire erupting. The extra soot from the series of volcanic eruptions would darken the albedo even further and speed up the melt process.

As for how quickly the change might occur... it's a matter of energy. Einstein figured the uneven distribution of mass would make the shift sudden. Like apocalypse level event. You'd see the stars fall from the skies as the entire Earth's crust shifted to a new position with a new North and South pole.

I sure don't know. I'm just wondering.

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    The soot...washes off the polar ice caps? Did it mention how?
    I could perhaps see it. So, the soot lowers the albedo of the snow, causing it to absorb more energy and start melting. Well, the places that start melting are the places that are covered with soot. The soot then gets washed away in the melting process.

However, I still call bullshit. I'm pretty sure there are ice core samples that show major changes with the polar ice cap when Vesuvias blew because of the soot it put on the ice caps.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Well there goes any respect I had left for the Nobel...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I could perhaps see it. So, the soot lowers the albedo of the snow, causing it to absorb more energy and start melting.
    It would have to absorb a metric shitload of energy for the ice and snow in Antarctica to start melting. That place is fucking cold, and the interior of the continent is dry as a mummy's snatch.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Meanwhile, we'd all be suffering through mild chronic respiratory distress and trying to deal with the whole planet suddenly being covered with acidic compounds. Did this guy get his Nobel for Economics, by any chance?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    Meanwhile, we'd all be suffering through mild chronic respiratory distress and trying to deal with the whole planet suddenly being covered with acidic compounds. Did this guy get his Nobel for Economics, by any chance?

Nobel for Chemistry, actually. And well deserved too. He's the guy who discovered that CFCs were seriously fucking up the ozone.

What is seriously lacking is the context for this proposal. He was disgusted at how little we are doing to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, so he proposed this as a sort of shock tactic, only to have it backfire. The aim was to say, "Look, fuckers, you guys are doing jack shit to fix the problem, so this is what you're going to have to do to fix it when you realise your mistake too late."

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:

Nobel for Chemistry, actually. And well deserved too. He's the guy who discovered that CFCs were seriously fucking up the ozone.

What is seriously lacking is the context for this proposal. He was disgusted at how little we are doing to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, so he proposed this as a sort of shock tactic, only to have it backfire. The aim was to say, "Look, fuckers, you guys are doing jack shit to fix the problem, so this is what you're going to have to do to fix it when you realise your mistake too late."

Jesus. I can think of better ways to 'shock' than making oneself sound like a C-average undergrad. I mean, its never going to be a viable option even under those circumstances, it'll create far more problems on the ground than it'll fix in the air.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

Jesus. I can think of better ways to 'shock' than making oneself sound like a C-average undergrad. I mean, its never going to be a viable option even under those circumstances, it'll create far more problems on the ground than it'll fix in the air.

It will do what he intends it to do. He's basically amplifying what we're already doing with global dimming. I don't think he's particularly thinking about the other effects it will have, considering he's probably not serious.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    MrBigmusclesMrBigmuscles Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    IIRC when I heard about this proposal the idea was to put the sulfur particles much higher in the atmosphere, as in like near-earth orbit or some shit, where things don't normally precipitate out as rain. Hence no worries about acid rain or groundwater contamination or whatever.

MrBigmuscles on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    IIRC when I heard about this proposal the idea was to put the sulfur particles much higher in the atmosphere, as in like near-earth orbit or some shit, where things don't normally precipitate out as rain. Hence no worries about acid rain or groundwater contamination or whatever.

Uhh, sulfur is pretty heavy, so it would sink to the ground. I doubt an orbit of a cloud of sulfur particles would last particularly long either.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So if this were hypothetically a viable idea, who gets to vote on if this would happen or not? Last I checked, there are 6 billion human beings on the planet who would be affected by this.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zoolander wrote:
    So if this were hypothetically a viable idea, who gets to vote on if this would happen or not? Last I checked, there are 6 billion human beings on the planet who would be affected by this.

America.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Let's totally forget animals get affected by our crap too. >_>

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

What, so they should get a vote? Let's see you get a bear into the poll booth.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

What, so they should get a vote? Let's see you get a bear into the poll booth.
    Exactly.

We should invent polling booths for animals.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Cat wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

It will do what he intends it to do. He's basically amplifying what we're already doing with global dimming. I don't think he's particularly thinking about the other effects it will have, considering he's probably not serious.

Besides, by the time the situation reaches that point we'd probably all be huddled in underground bunkers anyway.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I picked up a copy of TIME - Nature's Extremes that's got some great pictures of the tectonic plates I'm talking about. They give a good view of all the subduction zones and I think I can draw out how I think the crust would shift.

But it's late so I'll do that tomorrow.

Until then, here's some "enchanted learning for you"

Continentaldrift.gif

And backwards:

Continentaldriftback.gif

This just seems very wrong to me. Like someone was playing around with the gif animator. I wouldn't show this to children and tell them it's truth.

Continental drift on that literally looks like rafts floating around at sea.

Here's the site it came from: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html

And here's a much better picture of continental drift.

FG07_10.jpg

I'd say Australia is going to be one of the biggest movers as the western portion of the Pacfic Ring of Fire cracks off and the Indo-Australian plate torques back around towards the Eurasian plate. It might even crack in half as the mass swings around the Eurasian plate, leaving India behind.

Think the last Tsunami was a big one? Just wait and see what happens next.

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, the funny thing is that this isn't even a new idea.

I can't remember who, but someone was arguing a couple of years ago that the best way to fight global warming was to release particulate polution into the air, by, say, burning coal, to create a "global cooling" effect. Unfortunately, this has the side effect of less sun reaching the earth which, despite it possibly solving the global warming problem, causes a whole host of other problems.

Thanatos on