As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When is it an official depression?

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am just waiting until Doom saves us.

He is the true answer.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    misbehavin wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    I don't see why you are so worried about the economy, misbehavin. Aren't you better off than pretty much everyone else here?

If the value of the dollar plummets, my moneys will only be able to buy me bread for a week.

In all seriousness, I'm not that worried, except for my retirement funds that are still locked up in the stock market.
    I'm ~$10,000 in debt doing a degree with no career viability.

Oh, whatever.

When I finished my masters, I was 110K in debt. And I was a physics major! Not exactly a "get rich quick" type of degree.

Just get out there and make moneys however you can.
    Philosophy. Not really a 'get rich ever' kind of a degree.

If this is a major concern for you, why did you study philosophy?
    Hell if I know. I used to be really fucking good at Chemistry.

You know, you can change your degree program pretty simply. Unless you're about set to graduate, I'd say it might be worth it.
    But I like Philosophy :(

bongi on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't see why you are so worried about the economy, misbehavin. Aren't you better off than pretty much everyone else here?

If the value of the dollar plummets, my moneys will only be able to buy me bread for a week.

In all seriousness, I'm not that worried, except for my retirement funds that are still locked up in the stock market.

Oh, whatever.

When I finished my masters, I was 110K in debt. And I was a physics major! Not exactly a "get rich quick" type of degree.

Look at it this way, you should be able to figure out why you did it once you finish your degree.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Oh, whatever.

You know, you can change your degree program pretty simply. Unless you're about set to graduate, I'd say it might be worth it.
    bongi it's a good thing you like sucking dicks, too, cause I'm seeing that a far more viable career.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Why?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009

Oh, whatever.

I like looking at titties but I didn't pay for a degree in it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Oh, whatever.

law school

Langly on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

Oh, whatever.

your loss. best four years of my life.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In a related note, does anyone has a slight tickle of devastation curiosity?

Let me explain...

You know how, if there is a hurricane or tornado warning, you're scared but also curious and a little excited? Even though devastation and disaster is headed your way, the scale and scope of the circumstance has your morbid fascination looking out the window at the rolling storm clouds?

Well, that's how I've been feeling the last few months. I hate that the economy is tanking, but I've also got this embarrassing little part of my brain that oddly enjoys the faltering. Every time the DOW plummets, I think, "man, I wonder how low it can go!"

misbehavin on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Langly wrote: »

Oh, whatever.

law school

More debt! Work at a soulless job to pay off said debt!

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Let me explain...

You know how, if there is a hurricane or tornado warning, you're scared but also curious and a little excited? Even though devastation and disaster is headed your way, the scale and scope of the circumstance has your morbid fascination looking out the window at the rolling storm clouds?

Well, that's how I've been feeling the last few months. I hate that the economy is tanking, but I've also got this embarrassing little part of my brain that oddly enjoys the faltering. Every time the DOW plummets, I think, "man, I wonder how low it can go!"

i'm like this with bad news in the media

satansfingers on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuck it, lets start a business everyone. With our combined mental prowess we will be unstopable.

so um..what do we want to sell?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Philosophy professors don't make terrible money. You can get out of debt in a couple of years.

I mean, I assume that's what you're doing.

Because there's really nothing else for you to do as a philosophy major.

edit: Langly makes a good point. I'm starting my JD next semester, but I was a historical economics major.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009

Let me explain...

I think that's a pretty normal response

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Let me explain...

I kind of have this feeling. I have this morbid thought of "when are the bankers going to start leaping from their skyscrapers?".

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Let me explain...

I go out on my porch and howl like a mad man. All throwing back 40ozs and telling the sky to go fuck itself.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

Oh, whatever.

That's because no-one would offer such a disgusting degree.

bongi on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Then stop worrying. Yes, you won't get rich, but you'll be happy.

Take it from me; I had a job that was completely unsatisfying but provided me lots of financial benefits. And in the end, the money wasn't worth it. Now I'm desperately trying to get back into the field I loved before I'm too old and close-minded to actually do anything worthwhile.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Fuck it, lets start a business everyone. With our combined mental prowess we will be unstopable.

Leg warmers.

They're making a comeback.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009

Then stop worrying. Yes, you won't get rich, but you'll be happy.

Take it from me; I had a job that was completely unsatisfying but provided me lots of financial benefits. And in the end, the money wasn't worth it. Now I'm desperately trying to get back into the field I loved before I'm too old and close-minded to actually do anything worthwhile.
    I'll be fighting people on the streets to get the carcass of a dead baby to gnaw on.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Septus wrote: »

Oh, whatever.

law school

write self help books and make millions. make money translating hard to understand philosophy books to the general public.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If (when?) the economy tanks, I think I'll hit the rest of my liquor collection. I wonder how fucked up I can get in a day before passing out.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That's because no-one would offer such a disgusting degree.

Actually about 98% of universities in America offer an informal Minor in the subject.

I know I was enrolled.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Also, we tried doing nothing. We tried industry self-regulation when we got rid of oversight. Look how well that worked.

I agree that government isn't always the solution, but I don't think government is always the problem. I'd rather pro-actively fuck our country then sit back and let it get worse all on its own.

Industry self-regulation works, and it is working right now. The problem is that the time it will take for the economy to start climbing back towards that golden steady state is further away then people want it to be.

We are not nearly as hard corps as we once were, and that is a cost in and of itself.

ok, first let me say that it is hard core, as in the core of your being is tough. a hard corps would be the marines.

Now, you are such a fucking faggot. Hundreds of thousands of people are losing work and starving because of people like you. greed has cut our country down. the people who were not regulated are not suffering, they have not lost anything except the ability to make more millions. this nation's (and the world's) economy is on the brink because people were looking the other way and allowing this shit to happen.

I'm not swinging some kind of communist dick here. I'm not a socialist. Regulations are needed because people are greedy motherfuckers and you're the worst sort of all of them because you believe your own diarrheal shit

Oh, there are two different spellings for corps, guess that works thanks.

You are right in that greed has cut our country down, lack of foresight and planning has led to this. After this fall better systems will be put into place that increase our productivity that much more. It's called growing, and it is not a bad thing.

If we let things fail, there is enough wealth still in our system to get the economy rolling back 10-15 years down the line. And it would be much stronger then the economy we are forcing together now. These numbers are completely out of my ass, it could easily be 20+ years.

The way we are going is only promoting this greed.

ok this is such a silly, spurious argument but no, to say that Americans are not hard corps any more makes no god damned sense. That means we aren't all in the marines or fucking peace corps any more. to be hard core is to be tough or gritty or steadfast.

In any case, saying that the country is promoting greed by spending money to give new jobs and try and stabilize the economy is stupid. You're also advocating people wallow in poverty with no escape just because you think it might could possibly be better 10 to 15 years down the line. Are you insane?

You can tell wearied mothers who can't feed their children that it will all be better on down the road.

Well, it's not promoting greed by spending money but by preventing consequences of our actions to actively effect us in the long term.

Also, I am interested in the health of the US in the long term, not the short term. That might mean mothers can't feed their starving babies because the economy is in the shitter (I highly doubt it would become that way unless the parents were being irresponsible).

We expect way to much out of our society as far as luxuries and ease goes, I think we need to take a step back from that. Maybe I am just one of those young old fashioned kind of people.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We need Red Sun Lex Luthor to save us.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Septus wrote: »

Oh, whatever.

law school

write self help books and make millions. make money translating hard to understand philosophy books to the general public.
    The problem with writing self help is that people only want to read some garbage about how if you believe in something it will come true, or that if you think you're cool then you become cool or whathaveyou, which is something I could never write. My brain would literally not let me write it and would shut itself off if I even tried to.

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    If (when?) the economy tanks, I think I'll hit the rest of my liquor collection. I wonder how fucked up I can get in a day before passing out.

"His death was so sudden"

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    msuitepyon wrote: »

"His death was so sudden"

Ah alcohol poisoning...

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Also, we tried doing nothing. We tried industry self-regulation when we got rid of oversight. Look how well that worked.

I agree that government isn't always the solution, but I don't think government is always the problem. I'd rather pro-actively fuck our country then sit back and let it get worse all on its own.

Industry self-regulation works, and it is working right now. The problem is that the time it will take for the economy to start climbing back towards that golden steady state is further away then people want it to be.

We are not nearly as hard corps as we once were, and that is a cost in and of itself.

ok, first let me say that it is hard core, as in the core of your being is tough. a hard corps would be the marines.

Now, you are such a fucking faggot. Hundreds of thousands of people are losing work and starving because of people like you. greed has cut our country down. the people who were not regulated are not suffering, they have not lost anything except the ability to make more millions. this nation's (and the world's) economy is on the brink because people were looking the other way and allowing this shit to happen.

I'm not swinging some kind of communist dick here. I'm not a socialist. Regulations are needed because people are greedy motherfuckers and you're the worst sort of all of them because you believe your own diarrheal shit

Oh, there are two different spellings for corps, guess that works thanks.

You are right in that greed has cut our country down, lack of foresight and planning has led to this. After this fall better systems will be put into place that increase our productivity that much more. It's called growing, and it is not a bad thing.

If we let things fail, there is enough wealth still in our system to get the economy rolling back 10-15 years down the line. And it would be much stronger then the economy we are forcing together now. These numbers are completely out of my ass, it could easily be 20+ years.

The way we are going is only promoting this greed.

ok this is such a silly, spurious argument but no, to say that Americans are not hard corps any more makes no god damned sense. That means we aren't all in the marines or fucking peace corps any more. to be hard core is to be tough or gritty or steadfast.

In any case, saying that the country is promoting greed by spending money to give new jobs and try and stabilize the economy is stupid. You're also advocating people wallow in poverty with no escape just because you think it might could possibly be better 10 to 15 years down the line. Are you insane?

You can tell wearied mothers who can't feed their children that it will all be better on down the road.

Well, it's not promoting greed by spending money but by preventing consequences of our actions to actively effect us in the long term.

Also, I am interested in the health of the US in the long term, not the short term. That might mean mothers can't feed their starving babies because the economy is in the shitter (I highly doubt it would become that way unless the parents were being irresponsible).

We expect way to much out of our society as far as luxuries and ease goes, I think we need to take a step back from that. Maybe I am just one of those young old fashioned kind of people.

so you place food in the luxuries category

interesting

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    We need Red Sun Lex Luthor to save us.

It's too late. I have already summoned Doom. It's all a matter of time before he reveals himself.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Only Jigrah could equate a super-starvation-level diet with a "luxury."

edit SAAAATAAAAAAANNNNN

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Macro9 wrote: »

Leg warmers.

They're making a comeback.

Lets just steal the bottled farts idea. It's clearly the energy of the future and will soon be more precious than oil...

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To be fair santasfingers, a tooooon of what people in America eat really is a luxury.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The problem with writing self help is that people only want to read some garbage about how if you believe in something it will come true, or that if you think you're cool then you become cool or whathaveyou, which is something I could never write. My brain would literally not let me write it and would shut itself off if I even tried to.

i think that with the current political/social climate, you could actually write a very critical and cynical self help book that people would eat up. that way, you draw in the crowd who would read it for irony/humor, and the people who actually need someone to tell them to shape the fuck up.

Langly on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Actually, I've got a great business idea to help prevent what happened from happening again. I should actually really get to that.

I will eventually need an Angel Investor, how about you Misbehavin? You up for wildly risky but huge potential business adventure?

It's not actually that risky.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What kind of marketing plan would you have for bottled farts? Why wouldn't the consumer make their own product vice buying yours?

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    BYToady wrote: »
    To be fair santasfingers, a tooooon of what people in America eat really is a luxury.

well yeah but i was just going off what jigrah said

it's more fun that way

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

i think that with the current political/social climate, you could actually write a very critical and cynical self help book that people would eat up. that way, you draw in the crowd who would read it for irony/humor, and the people who actually need someone to tell them to shape the fuck up.

Whenever I post my problems here, thats exactly what I'm hoping for. Someone to tell me to shape the fuck up and stop crying about whatever my problem at the time is.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just remembered a game we played in Economics senior year.
    It was a computer online game thing
    Basically each group of 4 had a company they ran that each sold the same product. And we competed against each other to see who could run it the best.

My group destroyed the economy bu throwing all of our money into R&D until we had the best product that you could make and sold it for $10 then our competitors and all of the sudden every other group went bankrupt but we coulden't afford to make enough product to meet demand and where flat broke and went out of business.

Our teacher was pretty pissed.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009

'The reason other people think you're fat is that you think you're ugly and fat.'

rblhrlbhrb my brain

bongi on
This discussion has been closed.