As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ipod Alarm Clock

redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I was looking to buy a Ipod alarm clock (a small clock based dock with an alarm) that would work with a 4th generation nano.

I tried out a couple but they both required you to use the ipod to navigate to some music, and required you to play the ipod continiously. Basicallly when the alarm went off all it did was turn the speakers on. This required configuration everytime I used it, and woke me to random parts of a song, Also the whole always playing and always charging the ipod seems to me like it might affect the battery life in the long term.

A bestbuy employee told me that every clock has its on way of doing things, I'd imagine the ones with controls directly on the clock would have the capability to start and stop the ipod properly. Thing weren't set up right for testing at bestbuyso I was thinking of ordering.

I just want something that I can queue up the song I want on, set the alarm and wake to it. Any reccomendations? Fading in the music would be a nice option as well. Not looking for something too expensive but after a few duds I don't mind paying probably in the below $100 range. (feel free to reccomend higher if youd like but gee)

Obviously I've been searching a while myself but the I don't want to buy and return again so if anyone can attest to their one works it would be helpful.

Thanks

redraptor on

• Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only one ive seen that does what you want costs about 300 dollars.

Is your computer in the same room as your bed? You could try an alarm clock program. Or just buy a cd player alarm clock and burn a cd.

For under 100 dollars i dont think youre going to find an ipod alarm clock that does anything more than just turn on speakers at a given time.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a sony iPod clock radio (model number: ICFC1IPMK2B). I use my 4th gen nano with it, and it work awesome.

You can set it to wake you up to your music, the radio, or a buzzer. Also, it has a sleep function if you want to listen to your tunes as you fall asleep. The best part is that you can use the remote to operate your iPod.

My only complaint is that the backlight is just a bit too bright on it's lowest setting.

edit: it runs about $100

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    redraptor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    An ebay seller also mentioned possibly needing an adapter? Did your one work with the 4th gen nano out of the box?

redraptor on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I bought a Ipod radio with the dock on the top of it for 20 bucks from a dick smiths store, was marked down from like 80ish. They have alarms, radios, Controls to the ipod through the stereo and the remote control works to. Go to a Dick smiths or a Tandy's sort of store. Mine works as you say you want it to but your best taking your ipod in and testing it in the store, or just asking in there.

examples
    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/499d1941066ea04e273fc0a87e010681/Product/View/C9972
    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/499d1941066ea04e273fc0a87e010681/Product/View/AE3568
    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/499d1941066ea04e273fc0a87e010681/Product/View/AE3583

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As a matter of wondering, why do you need an iPod to do this? My phone can do this and that's hardly cutting edge technology.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My phone is locked so it only can use music as an alarm if you buy the ringtone of a specific song.

redraptor on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have an iHome alarm dock. as long as you have the right adapter (it comes with them) you can plug in your ipod and it will turn on with any song you have cued up. it has two alarms etc.

my only issue is that the display is a bit on the bright side. mine has a dimmer but the lowest setting is still a bit too bright but you get used to it.

it has surprisingly good sound too.

i think it might be this one clicky

but there are a bunch of them listed

you can also get it at costco right now i think

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    redraptor wrote: »

yeah, it's fine with the 4th gen, no adapter. it plays continuously, so when you set it to sleep, it picks up on the last song it left off on.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mts wrote: »
    I have an iHome alarm dock. as long as you have the right adapter (it comes with them) you can plug in your ipod and it will turn on with any song you have cued up. it has two alarms etc.

my only issue is that the display is a bit on the bright side. mine has a dimmer but the lowest setting is still a bit too bright but you get used to it.

it has surprisingly good sound too.

i think it might be this one clicky

but there are a bunch of them listed

you can also get it at costco right now i think

Nice, I saw a few of these but was told they worked llike the other junkers I had. I'm going to try this one I think.

http://www.amazon.com/iHome-Speaker-System-Alarm-Clock/dp/B000Z9UY2K/ref=pd_ts_e_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

The alarm is what I care about most, and this one seems to have the specific features I wanted. Programmable snooze and fades in music as well.

Thanks people.

redraptor on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    no way its a solid alarm clark, plus the actual alarm isn't obnoxious.

the only issue i have is that the set wheel for the alarm sometimes acts up, but thats only if i spin it fast, but then again, mine is over 4 years old now

mts on
    camo_sig.png