As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Then we were Ziggy's [chat]

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    In the game, the protagonist (the player can choose either a skinhead or a Klansman) runs through a ghetto killing black people and Latinos, before descending into a subway system to kill Jews. Finally he reaches the "Jewish Control Center", where Ariel Sharon, former Prime Minister of Israel, is directing plans for world domination. The player must kill Sharon to win the game.

color me intrigued

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I have consumed half a gallon of orange juice since last night, though. That's helping, with the aid of acetaminophen. In theory menthol is supposed to help too but fuck menthol cigarettes and I can't really use the little vapor-patch thingy unless I can lay down a specific way for several hours.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    I like you a lot Riemann, and would love to answer questions. But you take a pretty snotty and arrogant stance on stuff you don't know much about.

You have a point. But seriously, it's his tone rubbing off. The guy is a smug insufferable git and gets me all riled up just reading his prose.

But really, what you said about him just adding the God stuff to make get his message out there sounds exactly like people claiming Obama is really a secret atheist.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Truth. Descartes is a total douche, no doubt about it. But if you invented modern mathematics and philosophy, I bet you would be too.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Johannen wrote: »
    Wait a sec...

If there was a game where a black guy went into a Swiss suburb full of Caucasian men, women, and children and started blasted their heads off with a magnum because they were infected by an evil space species, would that be racist? And would it get anywhere near the aggression as Resi 5 is getting now?

The Swiss were probably racist!
    And evil aliens!
    I have heard there's a small haven for ex-nazis there.... or was that Chile.... swings and roundabouts aye?!

Yeah, could be true. There are some very old, very... conservative people there. Take your pick which country I'm talking about. :P

Could be => is. Pretty sure the US shipped a bunch of nazi's to south america to train some paramilitary units and to install some governmental structure. As for Switzerland... follow the trail of gold teeth, baby... gold baby teeth? Whatever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQNP4O6Z4E

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have consumed half a gallon of orange juice since last night, though. That's helping, with the aid of acetaminophen. In theory menthol is supposed to help too but fuck menthol cigarettes and I can't really use the little vapor-patch thingy unless I can lay down a specific way for several hours.

200.jpg

Better than nasal spray. It's just a tube with a super potent chunk of vicks in it. You use it like nasal spray..but you inhale vapors.

Ludious on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    my d key isn't working well :(

Greeper on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

you on't say!

Starcross on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I should probably have some dinner. Time to prod japan till he makes me food.

*prod, prod, prod*

:p

BobCesca on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Truth. Descartes is a total douche, no doubt about it. But if you invented modern mathematics and philosophy, I bet you would be too.
    Psssh. Every "inventor of modern X" always ends up being a bullshit artist hiding the true innovator who died poor and unrecognized.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Ludious wrote: »

200.jpg

Better than nasal spray. It's just a tube with a super potent chunk of vicks in it. You use it like nasal spray..but you inhale vapors.

That looks useful. Now someone needs to come drive me to the store.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Psssh. Every "inventor of modern X" always ends up being a bullshit artist hiding the true innovator who died poor and unrecognized.

Is there a difference between modern philosophy and drug addiction?

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have heard there's a small haven for ex-nazis there.... or was that Chile.... swings and roundabouts aye?!

Yeah, could be true. There are some very old, very... conservative people there. Take your pick which country I'm talking about. :P

Could be => is. Pretty sure the US shipped a bunch of nazi's to south america to train some paramilitary units and to install some governmental structure. As for Switzerland... follow the trail of gold teeth, baby... gold baby teeth? Whatever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQNP4O6Z4E

"Forget history". Yeah, wow.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    okay, so let me get this straight:

If I bought a house at 200,000, and it's now worth 100,000, under this new forclosure bailout/plan/thing my loan would be renegotiated to no more than 105,000? Where is the other 95,000 going? How is that fair to the guy down the street who is in the same situation but can afford the house he bought?

Am I reading this right?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Wait, what book does he invent modern mathematics in? Because in the meditations whenever he talks about math or geometry he is quite ... confused. But I didn't mention that simply because it is a function of when he lived. Can't blame a guy for not knowing that math is no more Real than any other imagination simple because it follows it's own rules. That was widely believed until proven otherwise in the 1900s.

It seems to me that the absolutely necessary attribute to modern mathematics is rigorous proofs. In this sense Newton was a pre-modern (maybe transitional) figure. At least in Meditations Descartes is, in this sense, decidedly pre-modern. You are not going to find modern mathematics until the very end of the 18th century. IE: The generation of Cauchy, Gauss etc...

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Koolaidguy wrote: »

Not really, no.

Although modern philosophy hasn't really been done in 150 years.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

Food Box by Homer...no.... Earl.... no

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Wait, what book does he invent modern mathematics in? Because in the meditations whenever he talks about math or geometry he is quite ... confused. But I didn't mention that simply because it is a function of when he lived. Can't blame a guy for not knowing that math is no more Real than any other imagination simple because it follows it's own rules. That was widely believed until proven otherwise in the 1900s.

It seems to me that the absolutely necessary attribute to modern mathematics is rigorous proofs. In this sense Newton was a pre-modern (maybe transitional) figure. At least in Meditations Descartes is, in this sense, decidedly pre-modern. You are not going to find modern mathematics until the very end of the 18th century. IE: The generation of Cauchy, Gauss etc...

I'm not quite sure where is work on mathematics is published. I believe that his optics introduces cartesian coordinates. I think it comes out of a scattershot collection of letters to other mathematicians and mathematical puzzles he solved that were all the rage for intellectuals at his time.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait a sec...

If there was a game where a black guy went into a Swiss suburb full of Caucasian men, women, and children and started blasted their heads off with a magnum because they were infected by an evil space species, would that be racist? And would it get anywhere near the aggression as Resi 5 is getting now?

The Swiss were probably racist!
    And evil aliens!

Read the article Tycho linked. It offers a pretty good analysis about the difference between saying, "You can't make a game where a white guy goes to Africa and kills African zombies," and saying "You can't make this game where a white guy goes to Africa and kills African zombies."
    "It’s not as simple as saying, “Oh, they shot Spanish zombies in ‘Resident Evil 4,’ and now ‘black zombies and that’s why people are getting upset.” The imagery is not the same. It doesn’t carry the same history, it doesn’t carry the same weight. I don’t know how to explain it more clearly than that."
    And this is pretty much his entire ideology against the game.
    I have a problem with this, the game is set in a poor region of Africa.... I don't know why and I don't know what the full storyline is, but weirdly, I do know that this kind of place would be populated mostly by poor black african people. The history there is pretty solid. He also said that they definitely didn't have a black person on the team, as if he can perceive so much better than everyone else how those crazy racist crackers obviously didn't talk to any black people, when they probably do have staff members of every race.

I've never understood why I should be apologetic for what people hundreds of years ago who have absolutely nothing to do with who I am or how I've treated other people. In my eyes violence is violence no matter who it's aimed at and I view it as horrific for no matter what the reasons are. I hate racism and think you have to be small minded, unintelligent and naive to be a racist. But I am in no way associated with that and I doubt very much that anyone who made this game is. The fact is, they based it in a place, then set a story about that happening in this place, the game will have a 15 or 18 rating so kids shouldn't be able to get their hands on it.

If the game was based around something stupid like: Look at these easy to infect black folk, lets whack 'em! ... Or if the main character made racial slurs throughout, or if the people were significantly (in an out of character way) evil by their own accord and the game seemed as though the setting was forced for this... then I'd be in uproar with anyone else who saw it.

But I haven't yet seen an incident in the trailers of "hey it's all about killing people of different skin colours, gotta catch 'em all!!". In the first couple I'm pretty sure they were all white people set in a british or american country manor weren't they? And in the fourth one it was set in Spain and they were all spanish (although it was slightly weird how the boss kid seemed more british), now it's set in Africa and there are people who are native to that country being affected.

I would actually have no problem with anything said on that site, if their reason for arguing was so much based on:
    "YOU WHITE PEOPLE CAN'T UNDERSTAND, YOU'RE ALL SO COLOUR BLIND (ha ha get it?), THERE'S HISTORY WE KNOW ABOUT SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU AND SO OUR OPINION MATTERS SO MUCH MORE".
    If you want to shout race hate a good reason has to be given.
    If you want to shout anything I'd say make it about how it's as though a rich and highly trained marine seems to be going in single handedly to a poor place to violently kill, or be killed, by alien monsters dressed up as women and children. When they would realistically just be nuked.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Not really, no.

We need to stop naming things "modern". It gets really awkward when it's 1500 years later and you're discussing "modern art".

Also! Dammit New Super Mario Bros let me into the two secret worlds you asshole I've gone everywhere!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gooey wrote: »
    okay, so let me get this straight:

If I bought a house at 200,000, and it's now worth 100,000, under this new forclosure bailout/plan/thing my loan would be renegotiated to no more than 105,000? Where is the other 95,000 going? How is that fair to the guy down the street who is in the same situation but can afford the house he bought?

Am I reading this right?
    We need a housing market crash so people can afford houses

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmm in Nile, should I upgrade my palace or my marketplace? I won't have enough bricks to do both until tomorrow.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm not quite sure where is work on mathematics is published. I believe that his optics introduces cartesian coordinates. I think it comes out of a scattershot collection of letters to other mathematicians and mathematical puzzles he solved that were all the rage for intellectuals at his time.

I don't deny that he did important work in Math. I just don't see how he is any more "modern" than Pythagoras.

No one in his time was really into rigorous proofs.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Without reading any of the long, drawn out posts on philosophy here, what did this guy do for maths?

Tav on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Not really, no.

We need to stop naming things "modern". It gets really awkward when it's 1500 years later and you're discussing "modern art".

Archaeologists solved this problem in our discourse by agreeing that "present" is 1950.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Without reading any of the long, drawn out posts on philosophy here, what did this guy do for maths?

Descartes?

Cartesian coordinates, a la: x, y, and z

Other stuff in there too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Invented cartesian coordinates. Probably other stuff too, but it's not named after him.

Starcross on
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

He found the SOB that invented geometry and he killed him.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't deny that he did important work in Math. I just don't see how he is any more "modern" than Pythagoras.

No one in his time was really into rigorous proofs.

Well he did invent analytic geometry, and did something with tangential calculus or something which influenced Leibniz, so he was really searching for a way to be rigorous in his proofs. He and Newton are the forefathers of the mathematical work done in the 19th century, I would say.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mathematical legacy

Descartes' theory provided the basis for the calculus of Newton and Leibniz, by applying infinitesimal calculus to the tangent line problem, thus permitting the evolution of that branch of modern mathematics.[9] This appears even more astounding considering that the work was just intended as an example to his Discours de la méthode pour bien conduire sa raison, et chercher la verité dans les sciences (Discourse on the Method to Rightly Conduct the Reason and Search for the Truth in Sciences, better known under the shortened title Discours de la méthode; English, Discourse on Method).

Descartes' rule of signs is also a commonly used method to determine the number of positive and negative zeros of a polynomial.

Descartes created analytic geometry, and discovered an early form of the law of conservation of momentum (the term momentum refers to the momentum of a force). He outlined his views on the universe in his Principles of Philosophy.

Descartes also made contributions to the field of optics. He showed by using geometric construction and the law of refraction (also known as Descartes' law) that the angular radius of a rainbow is 42 degrees (i.e. the angle subtended at the eye by the edge of the rainbow and the ray passing from the sun through the rainbow's centre is 42°).[10] He also independently discovered the law of reflection, and his essay on optics was the first published mention of this law.[11]

One of Descartes most enduring legacies was his development of Cartesian geometry which uses algebra to describe geometry. He also invented the notation which uses superscripts to show the powers or exponents, for example the 2 used in x2 to indicate squaring.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kilroy wrote: »

Not really, no.

Archaeologists solved this problem in our discourse by agreeing that "present" is 1950.
    But but but

That doesn't solve it at all!

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What a bastard.

Tav on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Cartesian means relating to the French mathematician and philosopher René Descartes (Latin: Cartesius), who, among other things, worked to merge algebra and Euclidean geometry. This work was influential in the development of analytic geometry, infinitesimal calculus, and cartography.

The idea of this system was developed in 1637 in two writings by Descartes and independently by Pierre de Fermat, although Fermat did not publish the discovery. In part two of his Discourse on Method, Descartes introduces the new idea of specifying the position of a point or object on a surface, using two intersecting axes as measuring guides. In La Géométrie, he further explores the above-mentioned concepts

Bama on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Basically Descartes is what you learned in Precalc.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mathematicians love naming stuff after themselves. Ask RiemannLives about Riemann integration, the Riemann sphere, Riemann surfaces, the Riemann zeta function and the Riemann hypothesis. And this is just Riemann's stuff that i know off the top of my head.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kilroy wrote: »

Not really, no.

But but but

That doesn't solve it at all!

I think quite often the Enlightenment is used as a line to distingusih 'modern' ideas from those of the 'medieval' period and 'antiquity'. It's all pretty arbitrary and really depends on what subject you're doing.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, I'm not hearing the sounds of food cooking. Internet prodding has failed.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Johannen the argument being made isn't that it's racist but that it's racially insensitive. For example, were I to say something without racist intent, but cognizant of the fact that it was cackling with racial intensity, I'd be behaving in what we'd call a 'racially insensitive' fashion.

From there I guess it's up to the individual to decide whether they're going to go out of their way to not be insensitive.

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.