As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Race Pro: simracing comes to consoles

Milky28Milky28 Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
Haven't seen much love for this title round here. Anyone else getting it? Came out today, only $39.99 too.

For those not in the know...

gameL.jpg

Marketing speak:
Race Pro recreates a breathtaking reality giving gamers the ultimate racing simulation experience - with precision physics and handling, racers will feel every bend and burst of acceleration along with every emotion from pre-race tension in the pit lanes to the exhilaration of capturing the checker flag. Race Pro provides unrivalled realism and deep immersion into the racing world through ultra realistic car models and official FIA championships and tracks. Putting players in the driving seats of their simulated racing careers, racers will have the opportunity to work their way up the leader boards through intense training and winning key races. Race Pro has something for everyone, allowing players of all levels to pick up and play, while offering challenging tracks and advanced modes for the more experienced players.

Race Pro offers a wealth of cars ranging from 200 to over 1000 horse power, as well as a host of championships including WTCC (World Touring Car Championship), Formula 3000 and Formula BMW. GT cars from manufacturers including Aston Martin and Saleen take their place on the grid as well as production cars such as the Audi R8 and Dodge Viper SRT10. In addition, Race Pro is exclusively bringing all the WTCC cars from manufacturers Alfa Romeo, BMW, Chevrolet and Seat to Xbox 360 for the very first time. For a blast of accessible fun, the Mini Cooper Challenge invites players of all abilities to take the wheel.

Gamers and racing fans alike will experience the thrill of racing these powerful cars on 13 real life tracks covering all continents, of which Macau, Porto and Pau are exclusive to Race Pro, and US tracks Laguna Seca and Road America are brand new to SimBin fans.

Features:

* Racing Realism
* Ultra realistic handling
* Accurate physics engine
* Speed sensation
* Damage
* Weather conditions
* High precision car settings
* Racing Immersion: Exclusive FIA Championships
* WTCC: 2nd most important official FIA championship after F1
* Formula 3000: the superfast car formula
* Formula BMW: BMW's training ground for up & coming F1 drivers
* Mini Cooper Challenge: fun and accessible
* 13 official FIA tracks including:
* 3 Exclusive CITY tracks: Macau, Porto, Pau
* 2 US tracks: Laguna Seca & Road America
* Other non official championships include R8 Audi, Radical, Koenigsegg,WTCC extreme cars
* Widest Variety of Ultra Realistic Cars
* 350 models out of 48 cars from 200 to over 1000 HP
* From Mini to WTCC extreme cars
* World Champion '05, '06, '07 Andy Priaulx 's BMW 320 Si
* AM LM DBR9 2nd at Le Mans 2008 in GT1 category

Screens:
1bw.jpg
2bw.jpg
3bw.jpg
4bw.jpg
5bw.jpg
6bw.jpg

Videos:
Guide to Online Play in Race Pro Xbox 360:
* There are 3 steps in any online race in Race Pro:
-Open Practice session – where you wait for new drivers to join
-Qualification session – to determine the position on the starting grid
-Race – to race against other drivers

* The Qualification step is optional. You can bypass it by selecting “No” for Qualification in the Host Setting screen.
* It is important to note that the host leads and “times” everything. It can sometimes take time for him to start a session or go from one step to another, so please bear this in mind and be patient.

How to set up a Player Match session in Race Pro Xbox 360:

1- Go to Xbox Live
2- Select Player Match, then Create Match
3- Choose the race settings such as track, car class, length, player slots…(we advise setting fewer player slots, selecting “Yes” to AI opponents and selecting “No” to Qualification).
4- Choose your car
5- Choose your car settings (default settings are normally adequate)
6- Press A button to pass to the loading screen
7- Press A button when loading is completed
8- Select Drive and you’re now in the Open Practice session where you wait for other drivers to join in.
9- Once enough drivers have joined, press Start and choose Next Session (when you see the warning message displayed, select ‘yes’)
10- On the Player/Timing screen, press A button
11- Select Next Session
12- Once the loading is complete, select Race, and you’ll then be on the starting grid.
13- Once the race is finished, on the Player/Timing screen press A button. Then you can select Done and then choose a new track to race with the same people and settings.

Useful Tips:

-Either as Host or as Client, it’s better choose 6 to 8 opponent slots / games to optimize the gaming experience.
-As Host, it is important not to wait too long for new players in the Open Practice session. It may discourage players who want to race quickly.
-It is strongly recommended that you join games via the Custom Match option (instead of Quick Match one). You’ll then be able to choose for yourself the game you want to play in.
-Using Private Sessions is also a good way to optimize the network and game performance.
-When you’re not the host, please wait for the host to start the qualifying session or the race. Wait on the driver/timings screen or on the Replay/Monitor/Quit screen (but don’t quit). Loading will start quickly, leading you to the next step.
-Use the Custom modes and check the created sessions. Choose the sessions marked as “Waiting for Players” or “Qualifying”.

steam_sig.png
PSN: Milky28 XBL: Milky28
Milky28 on

• Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nope, you aren't the only one.

It's the FUCKING SHIT!!!!

Seriously, it's the sim I've been waiting for. Great in car views, superb handling and physics. Raced for a few hours last night and a bit this morning.

It's bare bones, but still great. Not the prettiest game out there though, but the graphics are fine for me.

ABS off handles a hell of a lot better than Forza 2, you don't lock them up instantly with the slightest pressure. Even with all the assists off, it feels great.

Played some online games with a friend. A lot of fun. The lobby system is great, you can free run and practice while you wait, or adjust your setups. And you can stack the room with AI as well.

Full flags and rules are cool to have. I got disqualified in a race last night for entering Pitlane too fast.

I love it so far.

People are having issues with FFB with the wheel, but I'm using the controller.

Great game.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is there a demo?

This does look pretty neat, sure slipped in under the radar.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Demo will be out tomorrow morning.

I'll say this, it's not for everyone. Reviewers compare it to Grid, GT5, FM2, etc, which is inevitable. But often they seem to miss the point. It's just racing.

They often want more fluff, extra stuff to do off track. The SP career is just a series of contracts and classes. There's no storylines, no cutscenes, no painting, no adding parts. There is a ton of tuning if you want.

I'm exited for the online and the championship series. I love simming full series in other games and keeping track of points.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm not after fluff.. I bought both Forza's because of the simulation aspects.

I do love collecting Ferrari's in driving games, but it's the track selection that usually draws me in.. which Race Pro has a pretty good sampling of. Only disappointment is no Nurburgring ships with the game, but at least it looks like it'll be DLC.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just don't want to people to have the wrong impression about the game.

As far as DLC, we'll get Spa real soon too.

First pack is rumored to be Nurb F1 and Spa. They've got some classic car packs planned as well.

I'm hoping for more FIA GT or LMS cars.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've only had an hour or two to spend with it so far, but I'm liking what I've played. The Mini's and WTCC cars are fun, but once I was able to drive the Caterham's and Radical's the sim really came alive. Strangely, there was one (only one) F3000 car unlocked from the start. Looking forward to unlocking the GT cars too.

It definitely feels more "console-ish" than the PC GTR games as expected, but it's probably a little more realistic than I thought it would be. Playing on Pro with no assists, no HUD, and the restrictive cockpit view is really nice. Play from the hood view for a more Forza-like experience - everything is brighter and prettier. AI was a little too easy on Hard, will try Very Hard tonight.

Like xzzy, I care most about the sim aspects and not the fluff. That being said, I really like having a basic career mode where I have to start in the lower cars and work my way up to the high power ones. Race Pro seems to fit that niche perfectly for me so far.

I can easily see this becoming the new standard for race sims on consoles. I think I'll be spending a good chunk of time with this one and it looks like it may even cut into my iRacing time a bit (that's a whole different beast there).

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Im holding off because as far as I can tell it lacks single xbox multiplayer, which is a needed feature for me.

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lacks single multiplayer? You mean splitscreen?

It does have a Hotseat mode that you can play with a friend.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    verpakeyes wrote: »
    Im holding off because as far as I can tell it lacks single xbox multiplayer, which is a needed feature for me.

Yeah, it only has a "Hot Seat" local multiplayer mode apparently -
    G2.0: Can you elaborate a bit on how the “Hot Seat” mode will work? What happens to your car while your friend is driving his?

DS: HotSeat is a true social game mode that allows for the player to enjoy RACE Pro with family and friends on one console using one television set.

We wanted RACE Pro to feature a local multiplayer mode but we wanted to steer away from a split screen solution. In our opinion, the split screen solution does not do a racing game like RACE Pro justice and it would force too many compromises that we were not willing to accept. After many brain storming sessions, we decided to work on doing a HotSeat feature because it is a full screen experience and players take turns in driving their cars.

Whilst the currently active player is driving the car on screen, the AI controls and drives all cars including the human opponent’s car. HotSeat sessions can be setup as versus or co-op mode: in versus mode, the players compete against each other in separate cars; and in co-op mode, the players take turns at being in control of a shared car while competing against the AI opponents.

Found that in the interview here

edit: beat'd

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jamesways wrote: »
    Lacks single multiplayer? You mean splitscreen?

It does have a Hotseat mode that you can play with a friend.

Yeah, which imo just doesn't come close to the fun of split screen racing.

Edit: And I absolutely hate the developers excuse, Forza, and other games have demonstrated SS is an extremely viable option for multiplayer. I cant see it being anything but developer laziness.

I do love Simbin though... darn you!!

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If I had a 360 I'd be all over this like [censored] on a hot, dirty [censored], man.

...what? Don't look at me that way.

I have GTR2 and RACE '07 on the PC, so I fully support SimBin and their efforts. I hope this does well for them.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, they said they'd have to cut a lot out to enable split screen. Who knows.

That is limiting for some people, but I think it's still an amazing game.

Milky- I play no hud, no assists, in car view too. Only way to go. Makes it so much more immersive of an experience.

Love the track selection too. Nice to have tracks we've never really gotten in a console game yet.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The sole thing holding me back from getting this is the lack of a reasonable wheel to play with. I'd like something better than the MS wheel (which only costs as much as it does because it's the only game in town) but not as utterly ridiculous as the Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S setup, which is far too much for what looks like essentially a prettier GTR Evolution, a fantastic game I already own.

Oh, if only I could get a Driving Force GT to work on the damn thing... oh well. I hope Simbin makes a killing on this, though, and I really hope they learned enough from developing this to really wow us on the PC with the Lizard engine. The old engine is looking pretty ragged by now.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    sethsez wrote: »
    The sole thing holding me back from getting this is the lack of a reasonable wheel to play with. I'd like something better than the MS wheel (which only costs as much as it does because it's the only game in town) but not as utterly ridiculous as the Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S setup, which is far too much for what looks like essentially a prettier GTR Evolution, a fantastic game I already own.

Oh, if only I could get a Driving Force GT to work on the damn thing... oh well. I hope Simbin makes a killing on this, though, and I really hope they learned enough from developing this to really wow us on the PC with the Lizard engine. The old engine is looking pretty ragged by now.

Agreed on all points. I love my DFGT and wish it worked for the 360. The controller actually feels pretty good on this game though, so I don't think I'm gonna miss the wheel that much. I need more time with it to give a good comparison to say Forza's controls (aside from the noticeably better throttle and brake triggers in Race Pro). I'd say give the demo a try when it comes out.

The 360 feels a bit underpowered to get what they wanted to get out of the Lizard engine. I'd love to see it on a recent PC.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so wait is this just GTR4 or something? like, where in GTR2 or 3 (can't remember which) you play a racer in like, a storyline with cutscenes and interactions with other drivers and your manager? I loved the one that I played.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so wait is this just GTR4 or something? like, where in GTR2 or 3 (can't remember which) you play a racer in like, a storyline with cutscenes and interactions with other drivers and your manager? I loved the one that I played.

You're thinking of the TOCA Race Driver series. The TOCA branding was dropped and the series continued as GRID. The GTR games barely acknowledge that human beings exist, and even then they were only put on this Earth to operate motor vehicles.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hahahah! Yeah, that's about right.

Even the voice on the headset is emotionless.

You won a race.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PoxPox Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, is RacePro out already? Didn't even realize that. Definitely getting added to my wishlist.

Pox on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mescalitomescalito Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    no demo?

mescalito on
    XBL: jawb0x
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Game rules.

Buggy as shit and crappy live play but it still rules.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've only attempted a few online races so far, each time I was able to practice and qualify with the other players, but always got dropped before the race itself. Hopefully a major patch is headed our way. Other than that, yes the game rules. I'm finally into the higher powered where the physics engine is really starting to shine and the AI is getting pretty tough. Really enjoying it, even with its flaws.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How is the AI? Do they always drive perfect, or do they mess up every so often?

Do they drive on a predetermined track, and any attempt to dislodge them sends you spinning, or do they actually weave realistically?

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    How is the AI? Do they always drive perfect, or do they mess up every so often?

Do they drive on a predetermined track, and any attempt to dislodge them sends you spinning, or do they actually weave realistically?

Now that I'm driving about the same speed as them, it's started to impress me. You can go side by side with them into corners, and they will give up the position or even go onto the grass if you bully your way in. I've already had lots of fights coming out of a turn that end up running neck and neck all the way to the next turn. Using the right stick to look sideways at them while running wheel to wheel is pretty sweet. I'm not sure how often they miss a braking point or botch a corner or whatever, if at all. I need to spend some more time racing them.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The AI do screw up. I've had a couple races where I was neck and neck with a car and the push too hard to try to get the line before a corner and go sliding off in the grass. And they fight with each other too.

This is a vid made by Diablo from Forza Central and the Race Pro official forums that's pretty funny. Shows AI fighting at Monza and it doesn't end up so well for one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7qVXizdEU&fmt=18

I had a great instance in a GT sport race at Macau. Two AI were knocking against each other in front of me on the long straight. Sure enough, one started pinballing off the walls, got turned sideways and another car hit it's corner and it flipped up in the air right over the top of another car as I drove by! Insane. Reminded me of Grid.

You don't see that stuff often, but it is cool to see them crash or miss their lines.

And let me add that once you hit the GT classes, it's a whole new game. Good lord do those handle like a dream once you get the braking distances down. The Aston Martin DBR9 and Viper in GT Pro are like racing game heaven to drive.

I love me some Forza and GT, and other racing games, but this is by far my favorite. The in car view and physics are just awesome. I cannot wait for Nurb F1 and SPA in the first DLC in about a month.

They are putting out a patch real soon, it'll fix the ranked online and other bugs. Private matches still work fine right now though.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That is pretty damn impressive.. not just that the AI screwed up, but that it was a situation that went from bad to worse. In Forza, cars always drive with full assists on and they have this infuriating ability to recover from any slide without losing momentum.

I'll see about picking this up over the weekend.

xzzy on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mescalito wrote: »
    no demo?

What he said.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I believe Simbin is working on the patch first before the demo. The demo has multiplayer, and I think they want to things resolved beofre putting out a demo that doesn't work so well.

There are situations where the AI is frustrating though. Like Forza, they'll bang the hell out of you if at times if you brake too early. And sometimes they don't seem to be affected by riding walls or on grass as you are. It slows you down, but not them at times.

But all in all it's a damn fun game.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Info found on the official forums from Atari regarding online problems and patch:
    Following the worldwide launch last week and subsequent sales success of Atari and Simbin’s RACE Pro, some players are experiencing problems when playing online.

Some problems are created by the sheer number of people who are trying to play online at the same time, a situation which is unfortunately impossible to appropriately simulate in pre-launch testing.

Other difficulties are arising because of the specific way the multiplayer gameplay mode is designed. To help players quickly get to grips with how to get the most out of the online mode until changes can be implemented in game, we have produced a Guide which is now publicly available.

We apologise to players for any inconvenience or poor experience caused by these unforeseen issues, and we would like to reassure the community that we have been focused on solving all the known problems since the game’s North American launch on 17 February. To this end, a Title Update is planned to be available to all players connected via Xbox Live as soon as humanly possible.

In the meantime, we would like to thank all the players who are already having a great time with RACE Pro on and offline, and we promise full continued support to the rapidly expanding community of players.

If you have feedback you would like to share with Simbin and Atari, please make your voice heard at the game’s official forum

They've also made a quick little guide to online play, which I'll post in the OP.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Finally got all the way through an online game last night. Very cool and some good racing (aside from the jackass behind me that thought braking into the first hairpin was optional). The game continues to grow on me the further into I get. Hopefully the upcoming patch addresses the majority of the big issues people are having.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That vid just sold me.

God, these guys need to make an F1 game. Like the old F1 games of the past on PC which were all about realism and had physics to match. Sadly, the latest F1 game which Codemasters is making is going to be all 'arcadey' from they've said so far :(

Pox on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm afraid if I buy this it will cause me to go impulsively spend 90 bucks on a FF wheel.

Must... resist...

Edit: Anyone have any experience with a cheaper, non-FF wheel?

Tzen on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I liked GRID better.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked GRID better.

Good for you. Now why don't you go stare at the sun for an hour and then drive off a cliff?

Tzen on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tzen wrote: »
    I liked GRID better.

Good for you. Now why don't you go stare at the sun for an hour and then drive off a cliff?

Only if you buy me dinner first. We never go out anymore. All you want now is the sex and violence.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pox wrote: »
    That vid just sold me.

God, these guys need to make an F1 game. Like the old F1 games of the past on PC which were all about realism and had physics to match. Sadly, the latest F1 game which Codemasters is making is going to be all 'arcadey' from they've said so far :(

Really? One of the Codies' team said otherwise on the forum...did it change?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Pox wrote: »
    That vid just sold me.

Really? One of the Codies' team said otherwise on the forum...did it change?

From what I recall this is what the Codemaster/Publisher head honcho said at the time when it was announced that the F1 license was being given to them.

Basically, the guy claimed that they were going to make an F1 game targetted for the "casual" crowd so EVERYONE can get in on it. You know... the trend/decline in gaming.

But, hey, i would love to see what an actual codemaster guy said about this... nothing would be better than to hear that it'll be an authentic 'realistic' physics model with numerous 'aids' which can be enabled/disabled as you please.... rather than hardcoding a arcade/sim physics model ala GRiD.

Pox on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I heard the F1 official organization is making them make it a sim. They've got some rabid sim fans, and if codemasters tanks this, there goes their reputation. Have you heard what they're doing to Dirt 2?

Ridiculous- consumer feedback didn't like damage affecting the performance of their car, so now it'll only be cosmetic in most modes. All traditional locations are out, new locations in, ones where you would never expect rally to be. Rallycross and rally raid will be the focus in fictional stadiums. The lead dev said it's not meant to be realistic, it won't be a sim, it'll be arcade pick up and play for everyone. They want to go to a fresh new perspective, taking their inspiration from the x-games and xtreme sports. So get ready for rad mtn dew sponsored jump events!
    Great. This is where Colin McCrae Rally games are going...
    Lame.

Anyway, rant aside. Back to Race Pro.

The AI in the F3000 races can fucking suck it. These races the epitome of frustrating. They spin you out with just a tap, grass and hitting walls don't seem to slow them down, and when you have to start over for the 40th time at Porto or Macau, it's time to put down the controller and walk away for a while. I'm not proud, but I'm turning down the damn difficulty. I like racing the cars, just not with the AI. I'm just trying to get them done at this point.

Same with the stock races, good lord the CCX or SRT-10 are just brutal after races GT cars so long.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well it's always been known that arcade games sell a lot better than sims, it was okay in the elder days of gaming when the majority of gamers were nerds who enjoyed realism, but these days there's hundreds of millions of people buying games who want to feel like they're racing, rather than actually doing it.

As the economy is in the shitter, it would actually be insane for a big company like Codemasters to not aim for the bigger groups.

Sucks for those of us who like the sims though.. but at least we got SimBin and the like.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, but we're left without a decent Rally sim now.

Hopefully someone will pick the WRC license.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I keep my hopes up for a RSC3. Yeah RSC2 wasn't 100% sim but it was pretty damn good anyways. They hit that perfect balance of sim and arcade where pretty much anyone could have fun at it.

xzzy on