As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kickass Opera music?

SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for some Opera music. The good stuff. I haven't seen all that many; didn't have much of an opportunity. Or an interest. But some of those songs... wow, gripping.

So if you've heard some opera music, and it has blown you away, it would be cool if you could let me know about some titles. Remixes also welcome.

Oh and if you've seen an opera, and thought it was amazing, that would be nice too. Honestly I've never been, and I'm looking to correct that. Thanks!

Sarcastro on

• saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, at some point, if you are into Opera, you are going to have to sit through Der Ring.

I'm not really into Wagner all that much, though.

I really like The Nose by Shostakovich, but then, I love everything Shostakovich, so your mileage may vary.

After that, you should look into Rossini's 39 operas, which are generally quite popular and some are well known (Barber of Seville, William Tell) as well as Beethoven's Fidelio. Mozart, the genius that he was, wrote my favourite opera of all time, The Magic Flute which I find is best enjoyed after you have read some Masonic conspiracy novels.

That should get you started.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I second the Ring Cycle definitely.

Here's an article on why it's so important and awesome: http://www.wnyc.org/music/articles/27256

Ioga on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuck, I had a really thorough post that just got eaten.

Mozart - no args there, a genius
    John Adams is a great living, relevant american opera writer. I especially like Nixon in China and Doctor Atomic, which is about the development of the atomic bomb. Good stuff - very modern, though.
    Strauss - esp. der rosenkavelier and salome
    Verdi - anything
    Puccini - his collection of 3 one acts (il tritico or something) are great music, readily accessible and often performed.
    Wagner - he's great, but you definitely have to work up to him, in terms of attention span and appreciating what he's done differently than so many who came before him. If you wanted to dip your toe into wagner, I wouldn't start with the ring, i'd start with Parsifal, which is long enough in its own right and great music.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1