As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hockey on] NHL09 - GO TO NEW THREAD

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys should start using pm's for you petty little squabbles.

done.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    mclay8823mclay8823 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cody doesn't want me in the league anymore because of my playing style and because you guys don't want to play in a league with a guy that almost goes undefeated. If that is really the case, let me know and I'll move on after season 2.

mclay8823 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You being in the league has absolutely no effect on whether I want to be in the next season or not.

Schide on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mclay8823 wrote: »
    Cody doesn't want me in the league anymore because of my playing style and because you guys don't want to play in a league with a guy that almost goes undefeated. If that is really the case, let me know and I'll move on after season 2.

I truly think that's redlicious. Hell yea you may kick our arse. But that doesn't mean theirs people here who take those games an work on their game. To allow themselves to get better. You guys sound like a union who is arguing over which type of bagel they get every morning.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

There is no doubt that you are a lot better than most (if not all) in this league, and it doesn't help that you're almost a little too proud of this and can come off a bit cocky. You do things with the skill stick that I can't comprehend--and have absolutely no interest in learning--how to do. Playing you can, to put it simply, be humiliating and ruin the fun of playing this game.

However, it's just a video game, so if you win 50 fake Stanley Cups in a row I don't think I'll ever lose any sleep over it. And I've gotta say, it would be pretty lame to exclude you for being too good, especially since you are such an active player.

In any case, It's not that hard to just pretend that you aren't in the league and that 2nd place is the real 1st. I just hope I'm seeded on the opposite side of the playoff tree so I have some hope of making it to the finals.

chuck steak on
  • Options
    ToneLoc777ToneLoc777 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wow, only 4 pages in to the new thread before it starts getting crazy again. For those I still need to play, sorry I've been out of action for a bit, I should be on some during the day tomorrow (Monday) and Tuesday evening to try to get some more games knocked out. I should be on, or can be on around 11am-3or 4pm PT. If you need to play me and you can be on in that window (or after 10pm PT Monday) pm me and I'll make sure I'm on at a certain time.

Now, to stir up some more arguments.... What about the idea of turning off the unique roster feature of the league and letting people choose whatever team they want. Yes there will be multiple of the good teams, and it may really screw up trading, but I think this more than anything else will even up the playing field.

Having the top 10 be AHL teams is a bad idea. It's not like the top 10 are so far ahead of everyone else. You've got one guy standing alone at the top of the heap, another pack battling for the rest of the high playoff seeds...and then everyone else. This will also be a disaster for trading as the AHL teams will likely only be able to trade among themselves

So that's my proposal for "potential league 3". Unique rosters off, let everyone choose whatever team they want. And set it for one game. The league will be over fast, but that seems to be the preferred pace of the majority of people here.

ToneLoc777 on
    ToneLoc777.png
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow I sure miss a lot when I don't check this for a couple days.. Well, not really a lot, just stupid drama like always haha.. Seriously guys, can't we just all be friends? I personally could not care less about who runs the next season, all I want is for it to be finished faster than this one. After people get kicked I only have like, maybe 3 games left. I just want to get to the playoffs.

And with next season, I do agree with mixing up the teams a little bit. Maybe what we do, is have all the vets pick their teams in reverse order from their finish. I know you don't like this Mike, but by the looks of it, it will only be about 15 teams probably, so your not going to get stuck with the Islanders. Hell, you may still get the Devils again. Plus with all the deals that you and everyone else seems to make your going to get at least a few players you like anyways. And then everyone who is new picks from whats left in the order that they join.

I will say this though. I would rather join a league with far less players and more games than vice versa.

I also have to agree a certain amount. Playing against Mike is very frustrating. That doesn't mean that we should kick him out or anything. It's just a game. Like Chuck just said, it's easy enough for me to consider myself the champion if I finish in second. It's like losing to a Hall of Famer. It's easy to accept and kind of expected lol.

And I can also see how it would be frustrating to play against me. When I'm on my game, the only guy who can beat me would be Mike, and even then, maybe not. I've played games against some of the bottom teams where I held them to 8 shots on goal and 3 minutes of time on attack. Last game against Mike the only difference was me giving up 2 stupid breakaways. I killed him in everything else and he knows it :P lol.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will say this though. I would rather join a league with far less players and more games than vice versa.

I agree. I don't really care how long a season takes as long as I can consistently play league games with ease. Waiting for the playoffs with a list of people to play who are quitting or being kicked kinda sucks.

Actually, I think we should have two leagues going for season 3. Have one be a more casual league where people don't have to feel pressured into keeping up (and maybe just play one game against each other) and then have another for those who want to play more consistently where we can play around 5 games against each other. Also, I'm sure Mike would have no problem stepping out of the casual league (aka, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED IN DICKHEAD!).

Since we can be in two leagues at once, everybody besides Mike has the option of playing in both, so everybody should be happy (except Mike and Redfield, they are never happy).

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A few things...

"is have all the vets pick their teams in reverse order from their finish. I know you don't like this Mike"

That was actually my idea yesterday. My only difference was maybe give the champ some kind of bonus for winning the league, but thats dumb I guess.

Furthermore, I've slowly come around to being an AHL team. At first, I was against it. But, like any reasonable person (since Cody apparently already made the decision), I considered it and tested it out. Unfortunately, that is not good enough for Cody and he still doesn't want me back in. Apparently you all wouldn't mind me back, so he needs to reconsider his attitude on this topic.

As for another league for a just a few of us regulars, I offered to do that and Cody flipped shit. Maybe he can explain why he has such a problem with every single idea I put on here.

*waits for Cody's respnse*

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I stand by the fact I am going to be an AHL team regardless. I really would like to be the Crunch... mainly because they have a player named Clitsome. Seriously, that's awesome.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd be happy being Hershey. I love Hershey.

If the league's top teams are AHL teams, this can work. I think a few of the mediocre teams feel offended by the fact that we feel like we need to use AHL teams in order to make them competitive.

As for making a 2nd league for a handful of us to play in, I still have yet to get a good reason for why there is an issue with that. Anyone? So far seems like most of you are interested.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought this was a NHL league? IF the top 10 are forced to play AHL teams, Im out next session. If this idiotic drama continues I am also out. I didnt come here to watch days of our NHL. Came to just play hockey.

Laonar on
  • Options
    TheBigDaddyDowdTheBigDaddyDowd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd be happy being Hershey. I love Hershey.

If the league's top teams are AHL teams, this can work. I think a few of the mediocre teams feel offended by the fact that we feel like we need to use AHL teams in order to make them competitive.

As for making a 2nd league for a handful of us to play in, I still have yet to get a good reason for why there is an issue with that. Anyone? So far seems like most of you are interested.

I dont feel offended at all. In fact the top ten teams should be AHL teams and have their goalie pulled for the entire 3rd period. :lol:

TheBigDaddyDowd on
    TheBigDaddyDowd.png
    AC City folk=2965-2082-7154
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Laonar wrote: »
    I thought this was a NHL league? IF the top 10 are forced to play AHL teams, Im out next session.

That is why there is going to be a vote. At least there should be a vote.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    We will work it all out. No worries.

Cody, All I ask is that you be civil and there won't be any issues.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Talk to him through AIM or PM. No more calling people out on here.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    <secretly PM's MClay to call him Seth from Street Fighter 4>

edit: (just in case someone takes it the wrong way)

:P

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I agree with Laonar. Playing as AHL teams is stupid. Maybe we could have a league where we all play as AHL teams? Or pick one of the European teams? But having a mix of NHL and AHL is retarded.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am just wondering how it would be retarded?

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, what would exactly be wrong with that? If you came to play hockey Laonar, it wouldn't matter what team you are.

There's nothing wrong with people using AHL teams, DEL teams, or Superliga teams if they want to, it's just an added challenge.

WilDPanthA05 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just see it as being kind of, unbalanced. Because then we have teams from all over the place, rather than just one league. I dunno.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I didn't mean to sound offensive. I was just making sure I understood your point. My thought is it would give us good players a really hard challenge to overcome, and some of the people who are decent/still learning a chance to move up in the bracket.

I don't want it to seem as a pity move, though I realize that's what it looks like as I type it. Like I said, I would like to use an AHL team next season no matter what, as long as people didn't mind.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cody hasn't answered my IMs or PMs. I try to communicate with him, but he doesn't oblige. Maybe Frank can get him to come around.

Regardless, there is no reason this can't be debated. We all want what is best for the league. I'm very interested in everyone's opinion. I think most of us top teams are fine with being AHL teams if that is what happens.

That said, if the decision had to be made by me, I would reverse the season 2 standings and hold a draft of all teams in one league...whether its the AHL, NHL, International, etc.

Two points:

A) Is it even possible to mix and match the AHL and NHL?

B) Remember how Cody said he didn't want to play in the league, but he would Commish it? That's impossible. He can't join a league and not play. The game wont allow it. You know what I mean? If he wants to take a season off, I have no problem doing the Commish activities. There should be no reason why that is a big deal.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A) That's a good point. I actually never looked into that.

B) He said he wasn't sure what he was going to do. If he wants to take a break you can start your league and whoever wants to join can join, and he will start his whenever he is ready I guess. This is assuming he is even taking a break.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    puffycow wrote: »
    I didn't mean to sound offensive. I was just making sure I understood your point. My thought is it would give us good players a really hard challenge to overcome, and some of the people who are decent/still learning a chance to move up in the bracket.

I don't want it to seem as a pity move, though I realize that's what it looks like as I type it. Like I said, I would like to use an AHL team next season no matter what, as long as people didn't mind.

Oh no I wasn't offended at all. I just didn't have a good response to your question haha. And another problem with having no restraints on which teams we choose, what if a new guy comes in who turns out to be damn good (like me this year for example.. I'm pretty decent but no one knew about me), and takes San Jose. I guess like you said its a good challenge.

I think if we're doing this, I would like the season to not last as long so that we can cycle through teams and seasons a lot quicker. It would suck to get stuck with a shitty team you don't like playing as for a month and a half.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I think you might be able to. I'm trying to remember back to when I joined this league. I think we were allowed to cycle through to the AHL and Smiglia teams and such.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »

And another problem with having no restraints on which teams we choose, what if a new guy comes in who turns out to be damn good (like me this year for example.. I'm pretty decent but no one knew about me), and takes San Jose.

Meh, I consider it part of the challenge. It would just be one guy. Plus we can ask him to be honest of his abilities.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

B) He said he wasn't sure what he was going to do. If he wants to take a break you can start your league and whoever wants to join can join, and he will start his whenever he is ready I guess. This is assuming he is even taking a break.

I guess we will see. He said he might want to take a year off. I really don't think that is a big deal. I'm more than capable of running the show for a season.

Even if he does return and a few of you guys wanna make another small league together, just say the word and we can organize it. There is no rule about only being allowed to enjoy 1 league at a time. It's not a contest as to which league is better, either. We just want to play....ALOT.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, what would exactly be wrong with that? If you came to play hockey Laonar, it wouldn't matter what team you are.

There's nothing wrong with people using AHL teams, DEL teams, or Superliga teams if they want to, it's just an added challenge.

Please re read again. If the vote is for using AHL teams most likely I will stick around. However, the I am here to play hockey is a remark to all the stupid drama that is going on. I am not here for that. Playing a lot of MMO's with my friends and I would like to note you treat you friends differently than a stranger because you know you can get away with a little more. A random person on here most people are respectful until disrespected.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Whatever you guys wanna do just keep me updated. I just wanna play some damn hockey.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Whatever you guys wanna do just keep me updated. I just wanna play some damn hockey.
    New guy here, and I just wanted to pop in to lime that and also say that I picked up the game and freakin love it. I would like to be included in Season 3, or Season 1 if there is a splinter group or whatever.

I suck and will lose a lot of games, but I just want to have fun. I don't mind what team I get. (Though as a resident of MA I wouldn't mind the Bruins)

I am going to sign up for the Hotsteppers too, though I don't have a online Be a Pro yet.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I never said just myself was leaving. I was making a statement about the whole league. You know, taking a break from this game?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I never said just myself was leaving. I was making a statement about the whole league. You know, taking a break from this game?

What else would we play?

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

What else would we play?

Any other game? Haha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fear 2 comes out tomorrow... gonna be awesome!! So does Star Ocean 4. SVIV is out as well. Good gaming month.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cody,

I acknowledged that several of us still want to keep playing, so I volunteered to run the league for a year. If you don't want to play for a season, no biggie. Just let us know and I'll set up season 3 using whatever rules we agree to.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think everyone's getting a little too worked up over absolutely nothing. Why should we punish the best teams for being the best teams? Isn't it better to have tough competition in the league? Doesn't that mean more if you're able to win? So we make Mike play an AHL team next year; let's say he happens to not be able to do as well and someone else wins -- congrats, you didn't accomplish anything.

I don't know, I guess my point is twofold:

1) I'd rather take the chance of getting a smackdown for the opportunity to enjoy beating someone at the top of their game with the team of their choice.

And more importantly:

2) We're all here because we enjoy vidja games in general and hockey as well. I think it's time to cut the drama and just enjoy playing the game. I know it's frustrating to lose, but if you're getting blown out, smash that Y button and drop the gloves (and the guy blowing you out should be a good sport and return the favor :P).

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    twmjr wrote: »
    2) We're all here because we enjoy vidja games in general and hockey as well. I think it's time to cut the drama and just enjoy playing the game. I know it's frustrating to lose, but if you're getting blown out, smash that Y button and drop the gloves (and the guy blowing you out should be a good sport and return the favor :P).

Hear hear!

remlap13 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am in the process of booting people.

STL, DET, and CAR are gone.

Mxrox, MnMaggot, and Myitat are going as I type.

edit:

These players are officially booted from the league.

MnMaggot
    MXrox
    MYitAt4
    KidsDoneSon
    Wolf871
    musanman08

Right now as it stands, I still have to play...

JohnTheJanitor - 2
    Mill1gan - 1
    soundstruck - 1
    ToneLoc777 - 1

How many more games do you all have to play?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've got:

Pouches - 1
    Shlankx - 2
    Mill1gan - 1
    soundstruck - 2