As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic chef oven timer goes off at random

supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I moved into an apartment with a beat-up 1980s Magic Chef oven. The timer on this oven is constantly grinding away, making a noise that sounds like the gears were lubricated with chunks of broken glass that are slowly wearing away into sand. Every once in a while it just goes off, and I can’t figure out how to make it stop. Anybody have a suggestion?

supabeast on

• Options
    DarwinsFavoriteTortoiseDarwinsFavoriteTortoise Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    supabeast wrote: »
    I moved into an apartment with a beat-up 1980s Magic Chef oven. The timer on this oven is constantly grinding away, making a noise that sounds like the gears were lubricated with chunks of broken glass that are slowly wearing away into sand. Every once in a while it just goes off, and I can’t figure out how to make it stop. Anybody have a suggestion?

Unplug it?

Unless the timer runs off of something else or something...

DarwinsFavoriteTortoise on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    As long as it doesn't have electronic ignition. (Don't know when that first started showing up)

Alternately, tell your landlord, maybe they can have it fixed/killed.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    supabeast wrote: »

Apparently you're not the only one with this problem.

What kind of mechanical timer? I'd suspect something in the mechanism (such as a stopper cam or pin) has broken, causing the timer to constantly cycle instead of stopping. The reason it's going off is that it cycles around 360 degrees constantly. It's probable that it is possible to disable the motor driving the timer, but getting to the timer requires at least partial dissassembly of the range, and really shouldn't be attempted without having some idea of what you're doing. Also, you shouldn't really be disabling portions of appliances like that, it's really the landlord's problem.

Chances are, parts aren't available. You could try finding a place that rebuilds appliance timers (a very quick search brings up www.appliancetimers.com, which does that kind of work, but I've never used them, so can't say if they're good or bad or if they can repair that model of timer).

Generally, appliance repair would fall under the landlord's responsibility so it would probably be best to report the problem to them and get them to decide whether to have the timer repaired or the range replaced.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Another thing to check for is to make sure that the stove isn't on manual and not timer. I used to see that a lot when I did appliance repair. I assume you've used the stove since you moved in?

Spectral Swallow on