Options

[WoW] You are now saved to this [chat]

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bejeavis wrote: »
    Oh and about tanks vs army poppers- if the tank is a smart feller, he will let the boss smack the ghouls and taunt the boss a few seconds before they die. This = free buttloads of threat. Seriously, buttloads.

Which is great, except the tank might not have been having problems with threat to begin with. What is a problem is the boss spinning around in circles, particularly if they have a directional attack (again, we're talking 5 mans). Even if they don't, you're just being a prick to every other melee DPS who's just trying to stay behind the mob. Bottom line? There really isn't a need for it in 5 mans, just keep it in your pants =P

First time in VH was a guild run. Last boss I asked if there were any tricks I needed to know about they said no. So I popped Army of Dead. She spun in a circle and instagibbed the group. I felt like a giant huge doosh but learned a big lesson. Always learn the fight yourself and don't depend on other people. I do better now.

I only pop AoD now in Raid against a boss like Patchwerk or Maexxina that I know it won't cause issues.

dasnoob on
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But, but my 'CHEEVS, MAN!

At any rate, a competent tank and a competent healer will be able to handle any negative consequences of anyone popping army on any boss in heroics. It might be dodgy popping on on the dragon bosses from VH and Nexus, but I have been in runs where people have popped it, and have yet to see a wipe as a result of it. Those are the only heroic bosses that come to mind as far as negative results from popping army go.

If the tank is having threat problems to begin with, popping army and stealing their threat by taunting the boss off the ghouls after a few seconds will solve the threat problem if anything.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    ObjectZero wrote: »
    you know ME!

i'm a frost DK tank. He is a Prot Warrior made of ego and fail.

Another great story. Last night we are doing 10 man OS +1 drake. He is main tanking sarth...i am offtanking the drake and all the adds. He dies.

I tank sarth the extra drake and the adds. We down him with 5 people still up. He was actually PISSED the druid died so he couldn't get a brez.

a healer was dead as well...

i mean...wouldn't you want the healer rezzed?

Wars and Paladins seem to have the most little man in them. I don't mind either tank (though honestly I've never ran with a pally tank I thought did a good job), but the people who play them always seem to be "I'M THE MAIN TANK ALL OF YOU WILL BE MY OFF TANK FOREVER!"

Our Raid Leader, who is also a Warrior MT is like this. I have more Armor, more HP, only 10%less avoidance thanks to him having a shield, do more threat and since I'm a Blood tank my healers have an easier night healing me, and I STILL play second fiddle to him. Even if he's not in the raid but another warrior is.

Why is Reigner tanking and not (warrior tank name here)
    "Ya know man, there are tank classes OTHER than Warrior in this game"
    "But Warrior is the best single target tank in the game!"
    "But I'M the best not dyingest tank in the guild"

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are rarely any negative consequences for using knockback AEs on trash packs, but that doesn't mean I don't want to smack people who do it.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are rarely any negative consequences for using knockback AEs on trash packs, but that doesn't mean I don't want to smack people who do it.

YES

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Reigner wrote: »
    you know ME!

Another great story. Last night we are doing 10 man OS +1 drake. He is main tanking sarth...i am offtanking the drake and all the adds. He dies.

I tank sarth the extra drake and the adds. We down him with 5 people still up. He was actually PISSED the druid died so he couldn't get a brez.

Wars and Paladins seem to have the most little man in them. I don't mind either tank (though honestly I've never ran with a pally tank I thought did a good job), but the people who play them always seem to be "I'M THE MAIN TANK ALL OF YOU WILL BE MY OFF TANK FOREVER!"

Our Raid Leader, who is also a Warrior MT is like this. I have more Armor, more HP, only 10%less avoidance thanks to him having a shield, do more threat and since I'm a Blood tank my healers have an easier night healing me, and I STILL play second fiddle to him. Even if he's not in the raid but another warrior is.

I hate that kind of crap, it's bullshit. Especially since Blizz has balanced all tanks to be able to do all jobs about the same. People still have this old world attitude toward crap.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObjectZeroObjectZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i have met ONE amazing pally tank in my WoW career. He is like a golden god to me.

He knows how to play your class better than you do. He with call you out for missing a kick in a 5 man because your hit isn't high enough. and he isn't a dick about it. He's just that good. We used to run almost every heroic in BC every day. 30 minutes or less on almost all of them. he chain pulled the whole instance.

Now he upsets me though...he waited to level to 80. I had T 7.5 when he hit 80 and wanted to run heroics. He kept trying to convince me to let him tank. Like...he insisted that he tank in blues and i just dps in my tank gear. weird mentality

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Basically the entire point of my post was to indicate that tanks can benefit alot from someone using army in heroics by stealing their threat. Try it.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Skill > Gear

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys would love my guild. 5 DK tanks, 2 warriors, 1 paladin. The DKs are automatically made MT because they have the most HP.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bejeavis wrote: »
    Basically the entire point of my post was to indicate that tanks can benefit alot from someone using army in heroics by stealing their threat. Try it.
    If they need that help, they are probably doing it wrong.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Skill > Gear

To an extent, but you can't outskill a 10k hit because your armor isn't up to snuff.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Skill > Gear

Yes, let it be known, I can tank 5 Naxxramases at the same time while naked. I am just that good. The bosses recognize my superior skill and just hand me their loot and leave the dungeon in shame. I'm afraid it just isn't that simple. It's not like tanking right now is hard.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i have met ONE amazing pally tank in my WoW career. He is like a golden god to me.

He knows how to play your class better than you do. He with call you out for missing a kick in a 5 man because your hit isn't high enough. and he isn't a dick about it. He's just that good. We used to run almost every heroic in BC every day. 30 minutes or less on almost all of them. he chain pulled the whole instance.

Now he upsets me though...he waited to level to 80. I had T 7.5 when he hit 80 and wanted to run heroics. He kept trying to convince me to let him tank. Like...he insisted that he tank in blues and i just dps in my tank gear. weird mentality
    I can't speak for him, but there's a lot to be said for getting the experience of tanking heroics rather than allow yourself to be carried by people with gear that trivializes things.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Reigner wrote: »
    you know ME!

I hate that kind of crap, it's bullshit. Especially since Blizz has balanced all tanks to be able to do all jobs about the same. People still have this old world attitude toward crap.

Yes and no. The current attitude towards DKs is much, much more because they are the new huntards. I'm sure there are great DK players out there. I'm sure there are good DK players out there. But compared to the sheer mass of morons, they are diamonds in the rough. Where as the bias against Paladin tanks was more a belief that we didn't have the toolset to do the job.

I really wish they were more DK players who didn't suck. I don't mind more tanks, but I fucking hate seeing a flood of mouth breathers tanking.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bah, hp doesn't matter. I can spec into or out-of hp.

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As a tank, I don't mind seeing AoD getting used as long as the DKs are fully aware of the potential consequences. I've seen our DKs pop AoD on Noth with hilarious results.

Stuff like Patchwerk and Maexx? Go for it. Stuff where somebody has to keep control of several adds who can do bad things to squishier raid members? Save it.

Obviously I'm talking raids, but they rarely pop it in heroics. Last time I saw a DK hit it was on the trash corridor on the way to mal'ganis in CoT, which truthfully was kinda cool to watch.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Yes and no. The current attitude towards DKs is much, much more because they are the new huntards. I'm sure there are great DK players out there. I'm sure there are good DK players out there. But compared to the sheer mass of morons, they are diamonds in the rough. Where as the bias against Paladin tanks was more a belief that we didn't have the toolset to do the job.

I really wish they were more DK players who didn't suck. I don't mind more tanks, but I fucking hate seeing a flood of mouth breathers tanking.

I dunno tanking wise it seems like Dks are in the place that protadins were in during BC. Every pally seemed to be a prot who couldn't hold aggro, with shit gear getting raped. I remember one in my kara group who kept begging to tank and kept not doing a good job. He'd get crit raped and eat it on moroes every time and yet he'd keep saying "let me tank I can do it".

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Iroh wrote: »

I can't speak for him, but there's a lot to be said for getting the experience of tanking heroics rather than allow yourself to be carried by people with gear that trivializes things.

I find this to be very true, watching someone tank something as opposed to tanking yourself is a world of difference.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Iroh wrote: »

yes, but i could have shown him all the fights and gotten him some worthwhile gear in the process....maybe 3 days of running as dps, and he would have been a fine tank all by himself. I just wanted to help him out. It was not my intention to carry him through the game.

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I wouldn't mind someone carrying me, I've been so frustrated with heroics as of late it's getting to me. I know I can do it, but I'm tired of "well we tried sorry"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I dunno tanking wise it seems like Dks are in the place that protadins were in during BC. Every pally seemed to be a prot who couldn't hold aggro, with shit gear getting raped. I remember one in my kara group who kept begging to tank and kept not doing a good job. He'd get crit raped and eat it on moroes every time and yet he'd keep saying "let me tank I can do it".

There were some gearing issues pre-kara with TBC. But it just ment you had to spend a little more effort to do the job. The end result was the same. And if he was getting crit raped in Kara, then that wasn't a class flaw, that was a fucking retard flaw.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Morons will be morons.

The best thing to do, I find, is to take it to whispers and politely give them a few pointers, whether it be on gear, rotations, spec, or just saying "google 'elitist jerks' and read the class guide there".

The ones who are intelligent but uninformed will thank you for it; and the morons will mouth off at you by saying "omgs I kno how to play, stfu noob", which is your cue to put them on ignore and never group with them again.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    it's difficult to put the officers of the guild i'm in on ignore.

note: i didn't say impossible.

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

There were some gearing issues pre-kara with TBC. But it just ment you had to spend a little more effort to do the job. The end result was the same. And if he was getting crit raped in Kara, then that wasn't a class flaw, that was a fucking retard flaw.

that is not the current case with DKs. With the runeforge for defense...you can easily be un-critable before naxx. If you are trying to tank a 5 man below the defense soft-cap, you are just asking for it. The problem is most DKs can't make up their mind between DPS and Tank, so they try and gear for both...or at least spec for both. It just gets messy.

also, if you play a DK and you CAN'T hold aggro...you should be shot in the fucking head. DKs are aggro machines.

ObjectZero on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I don't mind getting pointers, what I find the most frustrating with a wipe in heroics is how no one seems to say anything. It's like "Ok what did we do wrong?" and then dead silence, I dunno's would be better then nothing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009

that is not the current case with DKs. With the runeforge for defense...you can easily be un-critable before naxx. If you are trying to tank a 5 man below the defense soft-cap, you are just asking for it. The problem is most DKs can't make up their mind between DPS and Tank, so they try and gear for both...or at least spec for both. It just gets messy.

also, if you play a DK and you CAN'T hold aggro...you should be shot in the fucking head. DKs are aggro machines.

Yeah I understand before frost presence was fixed that aggro was an issue, but one time I held aggro on the first pulls in heroic UK while in blood presence with full aggro reduction talented (which meant I was at -25% aggro).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I've always wondered. Why are dwarves so awesome but it's gnomes everybody nerdrages over? It's like, you have 2 races here that are more or less the same height. All dwarves have is about 60 pounds and a beard. Take those away and suddenly it's "RARRRRRWW"?

Dwarves have beer, beards, and awesome laughs/accents. They are burly little balls of brawl.

Gnomes are just tiny cutesy brightly colored pedophiles. The only male gnomes that don't creep my out are ones with old-man faces and giant white beards as they look more like miniature wizened wizards.

815165 wrote: »
    Furbolgs for next alliance race please, they're huggable! :^:

Furry alert!!

To be fair I was really into the idea of worgen being the new secret Horde race in BC. :(

That sounds like someone was running with bad paladins (and possibly now bad DKs). Maybe it's just some kind of "hey someone told me I can tank if I put all my points in prot so now I r tank" without doing the research and gearing and playing properly thing. It's not really the CLASS, though, it's the player.

riz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    riz wrote: »

That sounds like someone was running with bad paladins (and possibly now bad DKs). Maybe it's just some kind of "hey someone told me I can tank if I put all my points in prot so now I r tank" without doing the research and gearing and playing properly thing. It's not really the CLASS, though, it's the player.

I think it boils down to flavor of the month type stuff, every sub type has it. There are flavor of the month dps, healers, and tanks. In bc flavor of the month tanks were protadins and most of the ones I saw couldn't handle it, in WOTLK its Dk's. My issue is when people start demanding other classes be nerfed instead of their class buffed (or at times they want both). That kind of shit pisses me off.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I don't mind getting pointers, what I find the most frustrating with a wipe in heroics is how no one seems to say anything. It's like "Ok what did we do wrong?" and then dead silence, I dunno's would be better then nothing.

You'll find that very few people are willing to do that after a wipe. You'll find it's even rarer for people to think about that after you've been successful.

To be fair I was really into the idea of worgen being the new secret Horde race in BC. :(

That might make for a kind of cool instance.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You'll find that very few people are willing to do that after a wipe. You'll find it's even rarer for people to think about that after you've been successful.

Yeah and that drives me nuts, its like "come on what are we not doing, what do you guys notice?" I mean as the tank I have some vision, but not as much as say a hunter or mage who can see a bigger picture.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I think it boils down to flavor of the month type stuff, every sub type has it. There are flavor of the month dps, healers, and tanks. In bc flavor of the month tanks were protadins and most of the ones I saw couldn't handle it, in WOTLK its Dk's. My issue is when people start demanding other classes be nerfed instead of their class buffed (or at times they want both). That kind of shit pisses me off.

It wasn't until the end of TBC that we were flavor of the month tanks. I was Prot from TBC launch on and we were rare. It took a long time to overcome the meme that we couldn't do the job. Your early FOTM tanks were Druids because feral was simply broken early on. After Feral was nerfed it went back to warriors.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It wasn't until the end of TBC that we were flavor of the month tanks. I was Prot from TBC launch on and we were rare. It took a long time to overcome the meme that we couldn't do the job. Your early FOTM tanks were Druids because feral was simply broken early on. After Feral was nerfed it went back to warriors.

I dunno on my server druids were decent because of their easy gear up, but there were a lot more pally tanks out there. It also didn't help that blizz screwed druids with their content turning former mt's into dps'rs because they couldn't take the hits.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

This annoys me so much. The response "let's just be happy we downed the boss" is no excuse that there were some very sloppy actions or people doing the wrong thing during the boss fight.

planetes42 on
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    planetes42 wrote: »

This annoys me so much. The response "let's just be happy we downed the boss" is no excuse that there were some very sloppy actions or people doing the wrong thing during the boss fight.

I just figure out what went wrong and inform the culprit. It's not hard to glance through the combat log or Recount and say, hey Mr. Healer, you took 20K damage from standing still on the last boss of H Nexus. And died. And wiped us.

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    sometimes it's more subtle than that, though. Stuff like people not going back to adds on Gluth or putting diseases in the wrong spot on Grobb. Sure, maybe the rest of the raid adjusted and we killed the boss -- but let's not kid ourselves it would be easier next week if those mistakes were fixed.

planetes42 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I dunno on my server druids were decent because of their easy gear up, but there were a lot more pally tanks out there. It also didn't help that blizz screwed druids with their content turning former mt's into dps'rs because they couldn't take the hits.

It wasn't so much content tuning but the nerfs bat they got hammered with. And while they hit them a little too hard, they really did need a nerf. They had a lot of scaling issues in which they simply got too much mitigation too quickly along with a high effective health. At the end of TBC you saw a lot of Prot paladins, mostly alts. But keep in mind a lot of that wasn't flavor of the month as much as Holy having massive issues.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've had a relatively under-geared DK snag aggro from me and I build 6K tps. Just saying.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My wifes a holy pally and I wish blizz would stop adjusting them. Like the recent adjustment to their mana regen. It's like they want all the tanks to be able to tank, but none of the healers to be able to heal.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My wifes a holy pally and I wish blizz would stop adjusting them. Like the recent adjustment to their mana regen. It's like they want all the tanks to be able to tank, but none of the healers to be able to heal.

They are trying to break the whack a mole feel to healing.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.