Options

[WoW] You are now saved to this [chat]

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Dwarves: awesome.

Making a Dwarf character and running around with your eyes at crotch-level for the whole game? Not awesome.
    It's especially bad because all the Humans, Draenei, and Night Elves are male so you have a face full of balled up socks..

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    My wifes a holy pally and I wish blizz would stop adjusting them. Like the recent adjustment to their mana regen. It's like they want all the tanks to be able to tank, but none of the healers to be able to heal.

They are trying to break the whack a mole feel to healing.

It's still the same process, you just can't go on for 10 minutes straight anymore.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    My wifes a holy pally and I wish blizz would stop adjusting them. Like the recent adjustment to their mana regen. It's like they want all the tanks to be able to tank, but none of the healers to be able to heal.

It's still the same process, you just can't go on for 10 minutes straight anymore.

Correct. But they've been hinting that there will be some other changes. I know a couple of priests that have been getting some use out of Holy Nova to compensate for the CoH changes. Which seems to make them giggle about their DPM.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I don't see how they can really do that, I mean honestly healing is like tanking, you can't really reinvent the wheel.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I don't see how they can really do that, I mean honestly healing is like tanking, you can't really reinvent the wheel.

They didn't make a major tanking change? Did you do any tanking before AoE tanking became the norm?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yeah, dunno what they want to do about healing. Can't go back to the old days, even though healer panic > boredom on the "fun" scale.

Dunno what they've done to pallies, though, since I haven't paid attention to the class. For priests, seems like they tried ot nerf our mana regen, but then we just geared out of that problem fairly easily.

dojango on
  • Options
    planetes42planetes42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't know about that -- they've done the whole "combo points" thing with Malygos/Occulus to great success it seems. Who says they couldn't implement that as the primary method of healing for a class?

planetes42 on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So a little off topic but Im hoping someone knows.
    my.php?image=thefuckln5.jpg

The fuck is that?

Norgoth on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The heavy weapons guys from TF2 in effigy form.

Obviously.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Screw Tuskarr- I wanna play a Taunka. I'd pay money for "BuffaloBill" from the guild <Taunka Tuff>.
    Wait, Taunka aren't Taurens? Have I not been paying enough attention?

I wanna be an ethereal. Be all blurry and shit.

I'll totally reroll any of my current classes to play a Nerubian.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited February 2009

They didn't make a major tanking change? Did you do any tanking before AoE tanking became the norm?

They changed it to make it easier to aoe tank, but as a bear I was swipe tanking in the bc, and for the most part tanking is largely unchanged. Tank has the most hps, ac, avoidance grabs mobs keeps them on him until dps kills them.

I don't see what changes they are making to paladin healing. They gave them the ability to aoe heal a bit and then tuned it down to a smaller radius, their mana renew also got a bit of nerf. So I don't see what change they are doing to healing other than giving holy some abilities then taking them away.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Norgoth wrote: »

The fuck is that?

I'm sorry, I was too distracted by "You guys suck dick?" to notice anything else.

Also, someone in your guild named Wavefront. I demand an explanation.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The fuck is that?

What the fuck.

That's where Ysera normally sits, isn't it?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    End wrote: »

The fuck is that?

What the fuck.

Yes it is.
    Also the guild is the EU Obsidian Spur, like three threads down.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Morons will be morons.

The best thing to do, I find, is to take it to whispers and politely give them a few pointers, whether it be on gear, rotations, spec, or just saying "google 'elitist jerks' and read the class guide there".

The ones who are intelligent but uninformed will thank you for it; and the morons will mouth off at you by saying "omgs I kno how to play, stfu noob", which is your cue to put them on ignore and never group with them again.

I think it's funny how the elitists in my guild have ascended to some plane of elitism beyond pointing people to EJ. Now it's more like "You read EJ? Fail. No wonder your [spec][gear][face] is wrong."

It wasn't until the end of TBC that we were flavor of the month tanks. I was Prot from TBC launch on and we were rare. It took a long time to overcome the meme that we couldn't do the job. Your early FOTM tanks were Druids because feral was simply broken early on. After Feral was nerfed it went back to warriors.

I dunno on my server druids were decent because of their easy gear up, but there were a lot more pally tanks out there. It also didn't help that blizz screwed druids with their content turning former mt's into dps'rs because they couldn't take the hits.

Yeah, we had a paladin tank at BC launch but he soon went holy because of a lack of healers and after tanking some of SSC he didn't think paladins were as suited for tanking as warriors and druids because of talents/gear deficiencies. Months later we had one of our holy pallies who used to spec prot for heroics on the weekends go prot full-time for Hyjal trash and general off-tank duties. This was after the patch in which prot received a lot of love in the form of talent tweaks and piles of bonus stam to catch them up to warriors as far as HP, which is where our original pally tank was concerned.

riz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    riz wrote: »
    Morons will be morons.

The best thing to do, I find, is to take it to whispers and politely give them a few pointers, whether it be on gear, rotations, spec, or just saying "google 'elitist jerks' and read the class guide there".

The ones who are intelligent but uninformed will thank you for it; and the morons will mouth off at you by saying "omgs I kno how to play, stfu noob", which is your cue to put them on ignore and never group with them again.

I think it's funny how the elitists in my guild have ascended to some plane of elitism beyond pointing people to EJ. Now it's more like "You read EJ? Fail. No wonder your [spec][gear][face] is wrong."

It wasn't until the end of TBC that we were flavor of the month tanks. I was Prot from TBC launch on and we were rare. It took a long time to overcome the meme that we couldn't do the job. Your early FOTM tanks were Druids because feral was simply broken early on. After Feral was nerfed it went back to warriors.

I dunno on my server druids were decent because of their easy gear up, but there were a lot more pally tanks out there. It also didn't help that blizz screwed druids with their content turning former mt's into dps'rs because they couldn't take the hits.

Yeah, we had a paladin tank at BC launch but he soon went holy because of a lack of healers and after tanking some of SSC he didn't think paladins were as suited for tanking as warriors and druids because of talents/gear deficiencies. Months later we had one of our holy pallies who used to spec prot for heroics on the weekends go prot full-time for Hyjal trash and general off-tank duties. This was after the patch in which prot received a lot of love in the form of talent tweaks and piles of bonus stam to catch them up to warriors as far as HP, which is where our original pally tank was concerned.

2.1 was that patch. And there was a surge then. That's right about when most people began to consider the idea acceptable. But I did some progression tanking in SSC before then. It was doable.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That statue is in the Emerald Dragonshrine even when you're not dead, Ysera is apparently sitting on it.
    Supposedly, that statue model has been in the game forever, and can be found used in the original Emerald Dream instance (or whatever it was supposed to be) that can be found in the game files, though not implemented (like Stormwind Vault and Azshara Crater).

Lars on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Paladins:

What changes are you speaking about? Divine Plea? The only change that really had was our PvP healing and 5-man healing. You need to be a bit more careful when you use it...

The actual mechanic for Paladins remains the same. All we did was change spells, and the stat we stack. We used to stack +Crit and spam Flash of Light. We now stack +Intel and spam Holy Light. Crit is still good, but pushing into the 26-30k mana pool range basically puts you into an endless Holy light loop. You don't stop casting, you don't stop rotating your cooldowns. It's sloppy as all hell, but you don't really argue with a continuous string of 1.6-1.7sec Holy Lights landing for 9-10k, and critting for well over 14k-15k...

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    End wrote: »

The fuck is that?

What the fuck.

Yes it is.

She's there, but I can confirm there's a statue inside of her.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Laurluna wrote: »
    Paladins:

What changes are you speaking about? Divine Plea? The only change that really had was our PvP healing and 5-man healing. You need to be a bit more careful when you use it...

The actual mechanic for Paladins remains the same. All we did was change spells, and the stat we stack. We used to stack +Crit and spam Flash of Light. We now stack +Intel and spam Holy Light. Crit is still good, but pushing into the 26-30k mana pool range basically puts you into an endless Holy light loop. You don't stop casting, you don't stop rotating your cooldowns. It's sloppy as all hell, but you don't really argue with a continuous string of 1.6-1.7sec Holy Lights landing for 9-10k, and critting for well over 14k-15k...

It may not affect you much if you raid, but my wife is trying to heal 5 man heroics now and the recent nerfs are kind of annoying, if only because pallys weren't the best aoe healers to beginn with and recent changes made it worse.

Especially with all wotlk dungeons tending to have a splash or aoe damage of some sort. It also doesn't help that no one tends to have good gear guides that dont require heroics or any good paladin guides to healing that isn't raid healing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Why would you need AoE heals in a heroic? Paladins are one of the best healers in the game right now.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Why would you need AoE heals in a heroic? Paladins are one of the best healers in the game right now.

Fights like loken in halls of lightening the last boss's poison minions on AN, spider boss on AN. Last boss of UP, they all can splash damage you.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I've killed Loken on heroic with a holy paladin healing and we did just fine.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm not saying its not possible, just saying there are fights that have AOE damage still and its a lack for paladins. And there just don't seem to be a lot of places to go for guides to gear a paladin like there was for a tank, or hell even gear. I can make a purple defense shield but no healing equivelent as a blacksmith.

DK boards are swarming with advice but the pally boards seem to address tanking and ret and healing I guess you are just supposed to know. Where to go to learn?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I guess messing up heroics as of late with the "easy" wotlk has put me on edge everyone else seems to succeed but I just can't kill that bastard in AN and I worry that maybe it is me and I'm just not up to playing mmos anymore.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Most of us who say everything is easy have been running this shit constantly since like November 20th. It wasn't easy for us those first few times either, just... it changes quickly with time and purpz.

riz on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Morons will be morons.

I thought EJ was great because they heavily moderate and have people 'in the know' posting on the forums. What else is there, besides creating your own spreadsheets/math? I mean, the people that make the spreadsheets all post on EJ, right? /boggle

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    None of those should be challenging, beacon on the tank and slap some big heals on the melee and then they're fine. Loken is actually a fight where you'd want to slap beacon on your healer and heal everyone else. Meh.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I guess messing up heroics as of late with the "easy" wotlk has put me on edge everyone else seems to succeed but I just can't kill that bastard in AN and I worry that maybe it is me and I'm just not up to playing mmos anymore.

It sounds like you have two problems. First is that your groups tend to be pug happy. You can get good pugs. But you can also win the lottery. Your second problem is that you're a hair behind the gearing curve. So don't freak out about it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also a lot of those instances are the hardest of the heroics. Stick with gundrak, keep, nexus, and drak until you get some purples in the shizzy.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Most of us who say everything is easy have been running this shit constantly since like November 20th. It wasn't easy for us those first few times either, just... it changes quickly with time and purpz.

But how am I supposed to get those if I can't kill the guys? It's like a job saying you need experience to get it, but you can't get experience if you can't get a job. Like last night there was a group looking for a tank for an instance but you had to link them the achievement from beating it before they'd invite you.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    AN seems to be one of the harder heroics out there. Wiped a couple times on Anub last time I went there. I think the big thing is to focus fire those venomspitters that come out on the 1st and 3rd submerges. I think they're UD, so a pally could hypothetically fear one, leaving one to be killed first, maybe. Their poison aoe spray is really annoying, especially if you can't cleanse it. Think we had a dps shammy in my group, so he dropped the poison cleansing totem and NR Totem when the venomspitters came down.

Edit: Oh yeah, I was on my priest and was supposed to shackle them. But they can't be targetted until they enter the arena, whereupon they start spewing out poison and stuff. So turn undead might work pretty well, better then shackle did(n't).

dojango on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    AN is still a nasty ass bitch even in naxx10/25 gear.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

But how am I supposed to get those if I can't kill the guys? It's like a job saying you need experience to get it, but you can't get experience if you can't get a job. Like last night there was a group looking for a tank for an instance but you had to link them the achievement from beating it before they'd invite you.

Well, it doesn't help that you're starting out with some of the harder heroics- until you have quite a few epics, Azjol'nerub and Halls of Lightning are really hard even if you know exactly what you're doing.

Stick to the easier ones until then.

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The easiest way is see if you can put together a decent group within your guild. The harder is keep pugging till it clicks.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fryhole wrote: »

I thought EJ was great because they heavily moderate and have people 'in the know' posting on the forums. What else is there, besides creating your own spreadsheets/math? I mean, the people that make the spreadsheets all post on EJ, right? /boggle

I think the aforementioned people in my guild are just being jerks. The idea is not to automatically believe everything you read, that people on EJ make mistakes in math and have differences of opinion, and not everyone who posts there is an expert, so you have to view what you read through the window of your own personal experience with the class/spec as well. Someone blindly following EJ is better than someone playing pick-a-random-talent-point but not as good as someone who reads EJ and makes his or her own decisions using that information.

Wow, that is really bad. o.O Running with only pugs is probably a huge part of your problem.

riz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's probably just failure syndrome at this point. I haven't succeeded in the past which makes me fear for succeeding in the future. Honestly I haven't completed a heroic at this point I just dinged 80 on friday of last week and the best I've gotten down were regulars. It's eternally frustrating because of my server its hard to find people on my play schedule, but I don't want to leave my good friend on the server.

I don't think its gear based though at least not for me as a tank.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kul+Tiras&n=Maristus

This is my armory, hps are only low because I logged off in blood stance instead of frost. In frost I'm at 25k unbuffed hp.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well, it doesn't help that you're starting out with some of the harder heroics- until you have quite a few epics, Azjol'nerub and Halls of Lightning are really hard even if you know exactly what you're doing.

Stick to the easier ones until then.

My problem is I tried Nexus and got taken out and we got smoked on the first boss in UK, though this was before my wife realized her down ranking was screwing her over. I still worry about going back, I hate losing, I hate failing.

And my guild is fairly small because it was one of the few ones that have more people on for pst times on my shitty central server.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think the aforementioned people in my guild are just being jerks. The idea is not to automatically believe everything you read, that people on EJ make mistakes in math and have differences of opinion, and not everyone who posts there is an expert, so you have to view what you read through the window of your own personal experience with the class/spec as well. Someone blindly following EJ is better than someone playing pick-a-random-talent-point but not as good as someone who reads EJ and makes his or her own decisions using that information.

There seems to be a backlash against EJ. I don't mind someone disputing info from there but give me something better then "Well it's all situational" or "well I do it this way and my DPS is now better". Sure, not everything on EJ is gospel but at least be ready to prove your damn assertions.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    tanks have it hardest, because they really have to reach a specific gear point before they can even think about trying to tank an easy heroic. I just got my warrior to 80, and even after spending a bunch of gold and frozen orbs, he's still on the squishier side of tanking. In theory, you'd be able to run regular instances for those drops to gear up for heroics, but since nobody really seems to run regulars (and even if you did, there's no guarantee of any drops, I'm looking at you, seal of the pantheon), it can be hard to get those last few pieces you need to reach the def cap.

Whereas dps and healers can kind of squeeze in even if they have a green or three, simply because there is not a specific cap for them.

dojango on
This discussion has been closed.