Options

[WoW] You are now saved to this [chat]

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What exactly is killing you Preacher? You can normally run any of the heroics as long as you have a solid tank and healer and just carry the sub 1k dps, though it will take longer.

khain on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    dojango wrote: »
    tanks have it hardest, because they really have to reach a specific gear point before they can even think about trying to tank an easy heroic. I just got my warrior to 80, and even after spending a bunch of gold and frozen orbs, he's still on the squishier side of tanking. In theory, you'd be able to run regular instances for those drops to gear up for heroics, but since nobody really seems to run regulars (and even if you did, there's no guarantee of any drops, I'm looking at you, seal of the pantheon), it can be hard to get those last few pieces you need to reach the def cap.

Whereas dps and healers can kind of squeeze in even if they have a green or three, simply because there is not a specific cap for them.

Pug dps is terrible on my server, I'm talking green all over terrible. Plus they can't follow simple instructions like "Hey retard don't stand next to spinning guy of doom, or don't stand in the mist of evil." And no one seems to have run an instance before getting there "So this is like regular except" "Wait I haven't done regular whats he do in that" GRHARHAHRAHRHH!!!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    khain wrote: »
    What exactly is killing you Preacher? You can normally run any of the heroics as long as you have a solid tank and healer and just carry the sub 1k dps, though it will take longer.

As the tank its stupid crap. One of the major issues was my wife having her downranked spells before (for nexus and UK), but on AN she hasn't been the one healing and we'd lose a dps to a ground swell or poison blast and then the healer would drop shortly thereafter.

I checked my gear on sites that do that and they say I'm good even past 10 mans, but I jsut can't get it together and its destroying the shit out of my ego. I'm not even a week in on 80 and its like "Fuck I should go back to my warlock and let some other goon deal with tanking".

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

As the tank its stupid crap. One of the major issues was my wife having her downranked spells before (for nexus and UK), but on AN she hasn't been the one healing and we'd lose a dps to a ground swell or poison blast and then the healer would drop shortly thereafter.

I checked my gear on sites that do that and they say I'm good even past 10 mans, but I jsut can't get it together and its destroying the shit out of my ego. I'm not even a week in on 80 and its like "Fuck I should go back to my warlock and let some other goon deal with tanking".

I think the problem isn't you, it's that the people you're running with are terrible and dragging you down.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There is that, but there isn't a lot I can do about that. You go to the instance with the group you have not the group you want. I mean I've been out of game for over 7 months all my old friends raid naxx and such and don't hardly talk to me except to link their latest purple and make a promise like "Oh yeah we should run something"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    magikmushrmmagikmushrm Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    AN is still a nasty ass bitch even in naxx10/25 gear.
    agreed, it is one of the few heroics left that i do not enjoy healing for

magikmushrm on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is that, but there isn't a lot I can do about that. You go to the instance with the group you have not the group you want. I mean I've been out of game for over 7 months all my old friends raid naxx and such and don't hardly talk to me except to link their latest purple and make a promise like "Oh yeah we should run something"

Fuck those guys. I got chased out of the guild I raided TBC with because I wasn't level 80 in under two weeks. They were all "LOL YOU LEVEL SLOW" as they linked me all the awesome stuff they got in Naxx.

A lot of puggers want to do well, they just don't have any way to know how to do so. Game has such a strong "you're either hardcore or you're worthless" component to it these days, it's no wonder. They get tossed out of groups with a bunch of snotty remarks, never any pointers given.

xzzy on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Are we talking about the same instance? Azjol'Nerub? I've never thought of that as being particularly challenging... Anh'Kahet was always the one that terrified me.

riz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    xzzy wrote: »

Fuck those guys. I got chased out of the guild I raided TBC with because I wasn't level 80 in under two weeks. They were all "LOL YOU LEVEL SLOW" as they linked me all the awesome stuff they got in Naxx.

A lot of puggers want to do well, they just don't have any way to know how to do so. Game has such a strong "you're either hardcore or you're worthless" component to it these days, it's no wonder. They get tossed out of groups with a bunch of snotty remarks, never any pointers given.

Yeah that happened to my wife and I after we failed to kill the mini boss in nexus they said "go buy some more gear" and then left the party.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    I always get them mixed up. Is AN the one with pounding dude at the end?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    I always get them mixed up. Is AN the one with pounding dude at the end?

Yes, and Ahn'Kahet is the one with the guy who makes you kill your party members.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Maybe I'm just one of these elitists, but do you really need advice to avoid the lightning, spinning axe, void zone, whatever AoE kills you? I don't really care if some ones dps is meh if they don't die to stupid shit, but 99% of the time the people who have terrible dps also die because they can't avoid this kind of stuff.

AN has the guy who pounds and OK has the boss where you fight illusions of your allies.

edit: Preacher if your wife is in your guild then her gear isn't that great, though you still shouldn't have huge problems.

khain on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    riz wrote: »

Are we talking about the same instance? Azjol'Nerub? I've never thought of that as being particularly challenging... Anh'Kahet was always the one that terrified me.

I agree. OK is a nightmare with PUGS. The last boss... where our resto druid kills adds faster then 3-4 dps. *shudders*

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Resto druids are the best healers for that boss, actually, since they can shift into catform before Insanity, which fools the system into thinking they're feral, meaning the other group members don't have to deal with a healer.

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Maybe I'm just one of these elitists, but do you really need advice to avoid the lightning, spinning axe, void zone, whatever AoE kills you? I don't really care if some ones dps is meh if they don't die to stupid shit, but 99% of the time the people who have terrible dps also die because they can't avoid this kind of stuff.

AN has the guy who pounds and OK has the boss where you fight illusions of your allies.

edit: Preacher if your wife is in your guild then her gear isn't that great, though you still shouldn't have huge problems.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kul+Tiras&n=Liliyth

Yeah this is my wife, the problem is that most of her gear comes from heroics. Where as mine was mostly crafted or rep stuff.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'm in your situation (somewhat) except all of my friends have left and formed up a horde guild. If you aren't the tank you'll most likely run into another horrible tank on top of the terrible DPS/healers.

On Antonidas it seems like everybody I group with just installed the game, and I'm not even 80 yet. (77)
    I think it's an Alliance thing. :|

Edit - looked at the Paladin's spec - I'm not much of a healer but I noticed the talent that gives 30 yards to judgements + 4% hit is greyed out. It seems like that's a big deal, considering judgement is triggering 15% haste, and getting close to mobs usually isn't the best idea.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fryhole wrote: »

I'm in your situation (somewhat) except all of my friends have left and formed up a horde guild. If you aren't the tank you'll most likely run into another horrible tank on top of the terrible DPS/healers.

On Antonidas it seems like everybody I group with just installed the game, and I'm not even 80 yet. (77)

Yeah part of the reason I've taken to tanking is a lot of the pug tanks are awful. No instructions, no marks, and even with the easy aggro system they can't even do that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fryhole wrote: »

Edit - looked at the Paladin's spec - I'm not much of a healer but I noticed the talent that gives 30 yards to judgements + 4% hit is greyed out. It seems like that's a big deal, considering judgement is triggering 15% haste, and getting close to mobs usually isn't the best idea.

Holy paladins don't have to worry about to hit its not like her healing spells wont land, and I don't see her judging very often, unless thats a new thing that pallys should do while healing that I'm unaware of. Again the problem is there isn't a lot of help from the pally boards as to what to do.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If people are getting hit by it, the answer would be "yes". I can't pretend I know what is going on in the heads of these people, maybe they've just been playing solo for so long they figure fights where you have to move around are a myth.

If you have to tell them something and they continue to fuck up? Then yes they're idiots. I just know I've seen a fair number of people figure stuff out after getting some pointers and turn out to be decent players. It's a bit of a rarity, but it does happen and I don't think dying to an ae is grounds for elimination.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't mind someone getting winged from time to time, but if someone is consistently getting hit by attacks they can easily dodge its frustrating.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Preacher transfer to my server and join my guild, we could use a good tank and healer;0). We are not stupid either! We are small but everyone is extremely smart and we clear all instances easily.

I honestly dont know what the problem is than after reading your posts. To me AN is super duper easy to me. However, I am a shaman so Poison totem does my work for me. Man I dont know what to tell ya except for be careful who you pick up to do instances.

Laonar on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy paladins don't have to worry about to hit its not like her healing spells wont land, and I don't see her judging very often, unless thats a new thing that pallys should do while healing that I'm unaware of. Again the problem is there isn't a lot of help from the pally boards as to what to do.

As a holy pally, I'm constantly judging. Because of JotP big range boosts, better crits, and whatever judgment you want for mana or hp back.

Should be judging as much as needed to keep all that going.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited February 2009

If people are getting hit by it, the answer would be "yes". I can't pretend I know what is going on in the heads of these people, maybe they've just been playing solo for so long they figure fights where you have to move around are a myth.

If you have to tell them something and they continue to fuck up? Then yes they're idiots. I just know I've seen a fair number of people figure stuff out after getting some pointers and turn out to be decent players. It's a bit of a rarity, but it does happen and I don't think dying to an ae is grounds for elimination.

If I do not know a fight and I ask and when my dps was sucky I could at least do the fight. I consider myself a very smart player who makes few mistakes and helps out with buffs and heals where needed. If the tank is dieing I will use my spirit wolves to pull agro for 6 seconds to get the tank some heals.(not always smart but it does work with our tank). Just think there is some dumb dumb people out there.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I know in a raid at least the holy paladins judge once a minute at least to get the 15% haste. I'm not exactly sure how that carries over to 5 mans, but I would assume its the same.

khain on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Laonar wrote: »
    Preacher transfer to my server and join my guild, we could use a good tank and healer;0). We are not stupid either! We are small but everyone is extremely smart and we clear all instances easily.

I honestly dont know what the problem is than after reading your posts. To me AN is super duper easy to me. However, I am a shaman so Poison totem does my work for me. Man I dont know what to tell ya except for be careful who you pick up to do instances.

Well I try my best honestly I think it is the way of the pug, I'm just used to dragging idiots through and I can't do it. And I'd seriously consider switching at times, but my longest wow friend is on my current server and I'd miss his stupid ass and all my other chars.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I know in a raid at least the holy paladins judge once a minute at least to get the 15% haste. I'm not exactly sure how that carries over to 5 mans, but I would assume its the same.

First I'd heard of it honestly. It's hard as hell to get tips on this stuff because everyone just assumes paladins know or something. In the BC holydins never judged at least not that I ever saw.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well I try my best honestly I think it is the way of the pug, I'm just used to dragging idiots through and I can't do it. And I'd seriously consider switching at times, but my longest wow friend is on my current server and I'd miss his stupid ass and all my other chars.

Bring him with you;) Make friends. We got about 10-15 people doing heorics all in guild. :winky:

Unless your horde.. than your filthy...

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Bring him with you;) Make friends. We got about 10-15 people doing heorics all in guild. :winky:

Unless your horde.. than your filthy...

He wouldn't transfer he's an altaholic and he raids enough as it is. And I'm a space goat alliance fo life.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /hi5 space goat fo life. Im a enhance shammy, love my blue tornado of death.

Ever consider transferring cuz your frustrated look me up! Wish you all the luck man, things will get better for ya.

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /hi5 space goat fo life. Im a enhance shammy, love my blue tornado of death.

Ever consider transferring cuz your frustrated look me up! Wish you all the luck man, things will get better for ya.

Sure are you a pst server? Or at least on pst time? That's my biggest hang up on my server all the east coasters.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

First I'd heard of it honestly. It's hard as hell to get tips on this stuff because everyone just assumes paladins know or something. In the BC holydins never judged at least not that I ever saw.

Ask for a Holydin 101 in the Paladin thread or have your wife do it. There are some pretty good Holydins that post there.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Ask for a Holydin 101 in the Paladin thread or have your wife do it. There are some pretty good Holydins that post there.

Might just do that, we're going to try uk heroic tonight I think because its the daily and supposedly easy, any tips other than don't die?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Might just do that, we're going to try uk heroic tonight I think because its the daily and supposedly easy, any tips other than don't die?

At all costs...don't run out of green bar. Very bad.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

At all costs...don't run out of green bar. Very bad.

Is it like Snakes and Unicorns very dangerous?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yes. It's the talent way down in the tree called "Seals of the Pure". Works best with the Sanctified Judgements or whatever it's called that increases your Judgements' range by 15/30 yards. And yes, you do want it up all the time if possible.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them. I'm a highly experienced holy paladin and consider myself pretty damn good, though no doubt there are better.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It wasn't so much content tuning but the nerfs bat they got hammered with. And while they hit them a little too hard, they really did need a nerf. They had a lot of scaling issues in which they simply got too much mitigation too quickly along with a high effective health. At the end of TBC you saw a lot of Prot paladins, mostly alts. But keep in mind a lot of that wasn't flavor of the month as much as Holy having massive issues.

After I got sick of my two capped DPSers in BC, I started a Paladin specifically to go Prot and had some fun tanking Heroics for a few months or so before WotLK came out.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    The heavy weapons guys from TF2 in effigy form.

Obviously.
    If being dead upsets you, he wants you to cry more.

And then he mocks your stature in comparison to his large size, likening you to an infant.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well, your wife should be careful not to get locked out on the last boss by Roar/Dreadful Roar, but if she does, I presume she's close by that she can easily tell you if it happens so you can immediately pop a defensive cooldown.

Second boss, everybody should be very close to the two, virtually stacked on you except if there are other melee that need to be behind them. The necromancer also summons some skeletons on Heroic, so having DnD down should help keep those on you. Paladin's Shadow Resist Aura should at least cut down on some of the necromancer's damage.

And first boss is exactly the same as normal, everyone should be close to you again, especially the healer. Means the skeletons should be close to drop DnD on them and if you have melee DPS, they don't have to go very far to break Frost Tombs.

Really, it's all the same as the normal instance. My DK has been DPS so far, though I've collected a decent set of tanking gear along the way and have the stats to be able to tank Heroics, though I haven't tried one yet. Mostly I had been blitzing Heroics in PUGs with my Arcane Mage to the point that he has everything he could want from Heroics now, so in a way I'm kinda sick of them.

Sure I've had my share of bad PUGs, but for the most part they've been pretty decent. Hell, I've even had PUGs where I've dealt 50% of the group's total damage, which is utterly ridiculous, and actually completed the instance. I've also had some where the tank can't hold onto anything and we just can't get anywhere.

So, besides being a bit sick of Heroics at this point, I've been *slightly* nervous to try tanking them with my DK. While I was fairly experienced with Prot Pally tanking prior to 3.0, I haven't really done much of anything tanking wise with my DK besides switching to Frost Presence/tanking gear to solo certain elites while leveling. And doing that, I didn't have to worry about trying to keep mobs off of anyone else either.

Not really sure where I was going with this, just random thoughts I suppose.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

As a holy pally, I'm constantly judging. Because of JotP big range boosts, better crits, and whatever judgment you want for mana or hp back.

Should be judging as much as needed to keep all that going.

Yeah it sounds like she needs to read up on changes since BC/3.0, a lot happened to paladins and healing in general.

riz on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy Palys I hear have had their healing system changed the most out of all the healers.

I understand the whole pugs suck tanking thing, I burned myself out on tanking doing pugs in TBC. Took almost a year to pick my warrior back up and really till about a month before 3.0 to really start tanking again.

Don't let it get you down, tanking even in the "easy mode" form it is today is still stressful and when stuff goes wrong its easy to blame yourself even if its not your fault.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.