Options

Beyond [PHOTO]dome (Two men enter, one man leaves.)

• Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I is tourist:
    3295834689_9ccd2fac40_b.jpg

3296659930_0435be710d_b.jpg

3296660148_f24ef9eae2.jpg

Also:
    3296660206_6b28172173_b.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    -If you are a photographer at a wedding/event and the people are trying to be cheap and do those hand out disposable cameras. Go around with a sharpie and black out all the lenses. The viewfinder is not TTL hahaha.

I certainly hope this was a joke.

I know a lot of brides are now using the disposable camera thing at receptions, giving them out to guests. I actually think it's great, even (especially?) for a photographer. How many of those photos developed are going to be anywhere near as good, or as usable for other things? You certainly won't lose sales from them. And you could REALLY piss off your bride, and any future references.

So I'm gonna go with it was a joke

So I don't look silly >.>

P.S. Just to piss off CC, I loooove wide-angle portraiture!

Sheri on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sheri wrote: »
    P.S. Just to piss off CC, I loooove wide-angle portraiture!

One of my photography teachers (who is also a working photographer) does a lot of street photography and uses a wide angle almost exclusively for his portraits. He likes it because it allows for more intimacy between the photographer and subject. You can stand there and have a conversation with your subject, make them feel at ease, then take the shot without moving away.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    He said the anecdote in jest. I imagine it's like a photographers story of the help desk guy answering a phone call from the old lady that says, "My motorized cup holder doesn't fit anything but my dixie cup".

dagookfather on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anable wrote: »
    I is tourist:

I think the first would be awesome with the bottom figure cropped off entirely.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    He said the anecdote in jest. I imagine it's like a photographers story of the help desk guy answering a phone call from the old lady that says, "My motorized cup holder doesn't fit anything but my dixie cup".

I do not understand what you are saying at all

Except for the jest part

The rest of it is all o_O

t Proto - They are for sure not traditional portraits. But for some things, they can be great. I saw some really fantastic band photos, and I really wish I could remember the photog, but man, it gives such a cool feel.

Sheri on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Raping Sliders, Part 1.

BellaDadWeb.jpg

CartsWeb.jpg

HandgrassWeb.jpg

I think I kinda hate the next two.

Kitchen1Web.jpg

Kitchen2web.jpg

RockRiverweb.jpg

StairsGrassweb.jpg

Treerealfakeweb.jpg

Treessunfakeweb.jpg

kristinslillyweb.jpg

leafwithatreeweb.jpg

leavestreeweb.jpg

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2009
    Bleah, too much green. Forest photography is so frustrating because the colours and lighting are never anything like what you see in person.

buntzen01.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    i bet you took that today, didn't you. West coast bastard.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    @projectmayhem: I like that last one for some reason. Possibly the colors.

And speaking of colors, it turns out my camera does support custom firmware, which means I get to shoot in RAW now:
    CRW_3504.png

The colors in the image are frighteningly close to the poster's real colors. I'll be tinkering with this for real tomorrow when I have sunlight.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Absolutely. There was snow on the ground, I was in the mountains, and it was like 12C. It's supposed to rain for a month starting tomorrow though so there's also that.

BOTP, fuck that!

buntzen01.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    3299432018_60807fea38_o.jpg

Bombsy, I just had a few days of camping, so lots of forest photography, and mine don't look nearly that nice.

Sheri on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It looks like there is a miniature T.V inside the tree, perhaps a squirrel is currently being a lazy bum and needs to get a job inside that tree.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bombardier wrote: »

Absolutely. There was snow on the ground, I was in the mountains, and it was like 12C. It's supposed to rain for a month starting tomorrow though so there's also that.

BOTP, fuck that!

buntzen01.jpg

Try ticking your white balance a little bit towards the warm side, and then compensate by reducing the yellow saturation and luminance. That should get you a little closer to true light tones.

Alright, up for a little night shooting.

Experiment-3.jpg

A bit of experimentation

Experiment.jpg

And something a little less sweeping.

Experiment-2.jpg

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait a sec, bombsy, where do you live?

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Wait a sec, bombsy, where do you live?

Vancouver, BC.
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Try ticking your white balance a little bit towards the warm side, and then compensate by reducing the yellow saturation and luminance. That should get you a little closer to true light tones.

Ok, I gave that a try:
    buntzen01.jpgbuntzen01_alt.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The corrected one is much better.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Taking inspiration from Flyingman's retro series -

The Embarcadero

embarc1.jpg

embarc5.jpg

embarc4.jpg

embarc2.jpg

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yay, apocalypse.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    S'more.

buntzen03.jpg

buntzen04.jpg

buntzen05.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dicking around with some fire photos. Nothing spectacular just a little interesting:

fire4.jpg

I hate the angle on this one and I tried rotating and cropping it but nothing looked good. I still like the smoldering and smoke though.
    fire1.jpg

fire3.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    projectmayhem: I like the photo of the "carts" sign the rest of it is pretty mundane. The tree photos would be good but the tone just kills it for me.

bombardier: I like the tree photo because of the saturation and the separation from the background but the vignetting needs to be corrected at least on the top of the tree. I also love the bench photo because of the lighting. Did you strobe that, do some painting with light or did you just get lucky with some sunlight?

Everything else posted is rather meh including my fire photos. :P

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Haha, I have never strobed anything. It is sunlight. I didn't have any charged AA batteries for months until today anyways for my flash.

I am also giggling that you posted fire photos.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Fine. I will just post some more pictures of models......on fire.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What are some useful scripts for CHDK? I feel like I'm wasting the camera's potential by only playing games on it.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It's okay to take fire pictures, it's just not okay to post them. They aren't interesting to anyone but you. Or wait, is that pets? I keep forgetting.

3302969440_ac5ca59d40_b.jpg

3302974542_b1eca619e0.jpg

3302137359_cdea8d493e_b.jpg

anable on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's okay to take fire pictures, it's just not okay to post them. They aren't interesting to anyone but you. Or wait, is that pets? I keep forgetting.

Worst sarcasm metaphore ever.
    Hint: People don't have strong emotional attachment to fire.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Worst sarcasm metaphore ever.
    Hint: People don't have strong emotional attachment to fire.

CC, I think you're a great photographer and I think a lot of what you have to say is useful, but god damn sir, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Photography is serious business!

anable on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3302969440_ac5ca59d40_b.jpg

Hell yes, the contrast/composition in this is awesome. So much detail, great crop... would see again... or something. Definitely not getting enough love.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I like that shot a lot too although the horizon looks a little crooked. Great contrast.

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I would crop the right 1/8th or so of the photo so you remove that boat and the little house behind it but without removing the end of the dock. It would still retain its rule of 3rdsness but would remove some distraction.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I think it could use a crop but maybe just at the left edge of that circular thing in front of the white house on the far right because I like those whispy trees just to the left of it.

saltiness on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I was actually thinking it might be a little crooked but upon further research it seems the crookedness is coming from the buildings in the water which are actually crooked. *Upon even further research and my ADD it looks like it actually is a teeeeeensy bit crooked. But the buildings still make it look a tad crooked even when you fix it.

Also think that the crop is fine as is; I agree with salti on the right side and the trees. As for the left side of the pic I think it the little island thing actually adds a bit of balance as opposed to when taken out.

I finally have a real camera bag awaiting me at home. No more backpack with the lining stuffed with socks and tees. *excitement*

Prospicience on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Guys I've been thinking about doing a photo project where every screenshot looks like it's from some kind of hyper realistic first person shooter game. What kind of shutter speed would you have to have to snap a picture of a bullet leaving a gun, if that's even possible? And any advice for making the world look sort of fake? I'm thinking lots of HDMI and processing.

Obs on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    HDR to make it look fake. Yes a camera can stop the motion in a bullet. Google it.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I think to be able to capture something as fast as a bullet leaving a gun, you're essentially looking at a shutter speed faster than is mechanically possible with most cameras. At that speed, those who do this sort of thing dispense with the camera altogether, and use strobes (the details of which I leave to people who have actually used strobes). The hard part with all this, of course, is going to be timing the damn thing. You'd need a way of automatically triggering the thing, which you might be able to do by having the bullet pass through a light sensor or something like that. Either way, though it'll be complicated.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok, yeah, it looks like it's actually really tough. High-speed photography requiring (most likely) a high-speed flash (maybe called a microflash?)

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think some birds have made a home out of this wasp nest:
    CRW_3661-1.jpg

And a 34 second exposure:
    CRW_3674-1.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok, yeah, it looks like it's actually really tough. High-speed photography requiring (most likely) a high-speed flash (maybe called a microflash?)

It's not so much the speed of the flash, it's being able to sync it with the shutter. Flash times can be even faster than your shutter speed, but I think getting them to match up is the tough part.

Dunno, though, I'm just speculating.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Actually, one method for high-speed photography uses a dark room and a long shutter, then the only time anything exposes is when the flash fires. So if you use a very fast flash (like faster than 1/8000 sec) then your exposure is effectively that ultra-fast speed. That's how some people do the perfect water drop pics you see on Flickr on occasion.

erisian pope on
This discussion has been closed.