Options

Beyond [PHOTO]dome (Two men enter, one man leaves.)

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Really digging the perspective on that shot too nO.

Uncle: Love all the colors in those shots, but especially in the river one. Looks like a pic for some really fresh bottled water. Aaaaaaaaaah

Speaking of wireless triggers - I finally got a second pocket wizard & hotshoe to hook my sigma flash up to them. And the sigma just starts firing nonstop the moment I put it on the hotshoe, can't figure it out. Looked up a bunch of threads online for how to get the sigma synched with PWs, followed them to a 't' and still won't work :(

Prospicience on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    needOptic wrote: »
    nO that is a pretty amusing pic because of the wide angleness but it looks like your face was a bit too hot and you had to pull it back in lightroom/ps making it look a little odd colored/tinted.

Nah, was messing around with cross processing filters and it gave it that weird color.
    The problem, however, was there to begin with - I had to use some fill shadow to get detail on the right side of the face (because I don't have a second flash / reflector for fill). So I've got some grain there... meh.

Me needs wireless triggers + flash head :(.

What do you use? I don't feel like blowing hundreds of dollars on the damn pocket wizards.

I've heard good things about the Cactus V2s... I've also heard some horrible things D:

I've also heard good things about the updated Cactus V4s.. I've also heard some horrible things though D:

I... Where the hell was I even going with this post? I think the consensus is that for the price they are pretty good when you get a good set and the company is pretty good at doing exchanges if you get a crappy set.

BladeX on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I use the cactus V2s and they work fine. I had to mod them slightly to work with my flash (I use a Promaster flash and that uses a low voltage for triggering, so I had to solder a single wire to bypass a resistor. I also added an antenna to it to increase the range and that worked really well. There's a precise length to use for an antenna to match the wavelength of the signal - I can find that if you end up getting cactus v2s).

erisian pope on
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was taking portraits of our crew for the new version of our site... a couple of portraits

3708083469_edbfaacb18.jpg

3708082951_6005780600.jpg

3708083189_760932b731.jpg

I'll have to look into the Cactus... Now if I could only find a good deal on a flash on Craigslist...

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'll have to look into the Cactus... Now if I could only find a good deal on a flash on Craigslist...

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,12311.html ?

BladeX on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Playing in the mountains with some models recently:

AnnePagan155-2-1.jpg

AnnePagan267-2-1.jpg

AnnePagan193-2-1.jpg

MelissaShoot420-2-1.jpg

MelissaShoot557-2-1.jpg

MelissaShoot576-2-1.jpg

And I love this:
    MelissaShoot428-2-1.jpg

And since all is fair, when we got home, I let one of the models photograph me:

Spoiler for those afraid of Joe Pesci.

DSC_0134-1.jpg

DSC_0131-1.jpg

An-D on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    @ 24mm you're not doing that one girl any favors. She doesn't have an attractive face to begin with, using a wide angle lens makes her look more bloated than necessary.

needOptic on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Real quick because I am actually in the middle of shooting a wedding:

An-d, the only photo worth mentioning is the hand on the barbed wire photo. It could be better but as it is, it looks like the photo is telling a story and I really like that.

+1 to what nO said as well

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Went to DeVotchKa and Wintersleep respectively last night.

A dragonfly was there

DSC03600.jpg

DeVotchKa

DSC03624.jpg

DSC03640.jpg

DSC03641.jpg

DSC03648.jpg

DSC03651.jpg

DSC03659.jpg

DSC03662.jpg

Wintersleep

DSC03671.jpg

DSC03680.jpg

DSC03681.jpg

DSC03682.jpg

DSC03705.jpg

DSC03718.jpg

DSC03732.jpg

It was damn dark

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    DoleyBobDoleyBob Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys,

I've got a quick question and I figured this would be a good place to ask. Right now Amazon has the Pentax k2000 on sale with an external flash for a hell of a lot cheaper than the Cannon XS ($494 vs $533 withouth the flash) and I was wondering if this would be a decent investment that would last me if I decided to get a little more serious with Photography?

How are lenses Pentax puts out and are their higher end cameras comparable to the more expensive Canons?

DoleyBob on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pentax makes great stuff. Canon makes great stuff. Nikon makes great stuff. What are you planning on doing with the equipment you purchase? Most bodies/systems are quite comparable, with minor leads here and there in very specific areas.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm basically just looking to get a more serious start in taking some nice photos. I currently own a Fuji Finepix S1000 which is a little more than a point and shoot with a nice lens on it. I've been having a great time with it but I've been pining for a DSLR for quite some time.

I'm not looking to do anything too crazy with it but I would like it to be relevant if I do start buying lenses and flashes for the thing.

DoleyBob on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've found private study to be more beneficial than buying cameras if you wanna get serious about photos

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    I've found private study to be more beneficial than buying cameras if you wanna get serious about photos

Pfffft....who studies? In all seriousness, I see where you're coming from and I do need to work on a bunch of stuff but I think buying something a little newer with some actual versatility would help me a tad as well. It's starting to become annoying when I turn on manual focus and the damn thing still won't take a picture because it has trouble auto-focusing on something( the hell?) in a room that isn't lit up brighter than the sun.

DoleyBob on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, manual settings are key.

Holy Fuck

DSC03565.jpg

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Stale - you need a new camera. :) Those concert shots lack quality big time.

Finally had the chance to play with my diffuser and reflector. Around 2pm yesterday, sunny, with a bit of haze. Midday sun can suck on it now.

3712595267_9e32ae4dae.jpg

3712595399_9086aa458b.jpg

3712596705_eaa9742ba8.jpg

3712597441_c8db5f9a53.jpg

3712597201_2f14f2cd08.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    This was the nicest camera I could afford ;)

200px-Very_Tall_Man.jpg

The dragonfly is pretty cool tho rite?

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some pics from a walk through the forest.

3710545199_d46afff37c.jpg 3710543471_28c30e0af9.jpg

3711350826_083295af77.jpg

3710539455_365664a91b.jpg 3710537407_e3d442c4c0.jpg

Stregone on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This one really benefits from seeing it full size to get the detail, so I'm linking to the full-size version rather than shrinking it down to forum-size.

img3329modresize.th.jpg

And then another from that same beach trip.

img3343modresize.jpg

Also playing around with close-up stuff.

img3540modresize.jpg

Followed by far away stuff.

img3575modresize.jpg

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nostregar wrote: »
    This one really benefits from seeing it full size to get the detail, so I'm linking to the full-size version rather than shrinking it down to forum-size.

img3329modresize.th.jpg

I'm confused. The code is there and looks right and yet I'm not seeing an image. No red x or question mark or anything...

BladeX on
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's odd. Here's a text link to it. That should definitely work.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nostregar - I assume you want critique so here goes:

1) Bad light, weird crop and a stale composition.
    2) It's abstract... but it doesn't make me wonder what it is.
    3) Too much sky, no entry point, no leading lines. What's the subject?

Stregone - I kinda like the 3rd one. It's a bit flat, but your path leads the eye in nicely and leads it out.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've been productive lately. Did another shoot yesterday in Hyde Park. Nothing serious, just playing around with natural lighting modified by my reflector / diffuser kit.

3716923700_4779b8dced.jpg

3716117763_887b8d0377.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    @ 24mm you're not doing that one girl any favors. She doesn't have an attractive face to begin with, using a wide angle lens makes her look more bloated than necessary.

THAT'S HIS WIFE!
    I don't know anything.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Even if she were. I'm entitled to an opinion and the aesthetics of an image can be critiqued.
    Besides, he said "models".

needOptic on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    nO sorry to be late on the reply. I haven't had any experience with the cactus triggers but i've heard good things about them. I have used what is referred to as the ebay poverty wizards which do a decent job but break rather easily,but at $20 a pop that isn't too much of a problem.

Now a-days I shoot with some elinchrom triggers for reliability. A trigger and two receivers cost ~$280 instead of $600 for the same set from PW.

Also from the last set you posted I like the one of the model laying on the ground but I think it could benefit from a little more saturation from the grass. The second one looks a little odd from the pose, the color temp contrast between the model and the background and the wide angleness doesn't help too much with this shot.

Edit: <- Much busier at work recently.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    nO sorry to be late on the reply. I haven't had any experience with the cactus triggers but i've heard good things about them. I have used what is referred to as the ebay poverty wizards which do a decent job but break rather easily,but at $20 a pop that isn't too much of a problem.

Now a-days I shoot with some elinchrom triggers for reliability. A trigger and two receivers cost ~$280 instead of $600 for the same set from PW.

Also from the last set you posted I like the one of the model laying on the ground but I think it could benefit from a little more saturation from the grass. The second one looks a little odd from the pose, the color temp contrast between the model and the background and the wide angleness doesn't help too much with this shot.

Edit: <- Much busier at work recently.

Thanks Cow. Yeah, I saw the Cactus were around 50 for a receiver and a transmitter - might pick that set up for the single strobe. When and if that fails - I'll upgrade.

As far as the second one - the color contrast (warm / cool) is what I liked. I agree about the pose and I wish I could have gotten a higher vantage point to eliminate that annoying dark horizon line at the top of the frame. grrr... oh well. Got some more shots from the city, but haven't had the chance to process them. Will do later tonight.

needOptic on
  • Options
    KAJedKAJed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I have a question regarding lenses.

I am seriously considering pawning off my 18-55 kit lens and 70-300 USM (non IS) and picking up a more versatile super zoom. I don't know how much of a reality this would be as I have zero dollars and am currently saving for a wedding.

However, with that said, I'm curious as to what some people here consider as a good replacement for these two lenses. One of the reasons I'm looking at replacing them with one is because I prefer to have the extra flexibility in a single lens rather than slightly better quality of two. At the moment my nifty fifty never leaves my camera.

I've been looking at the sigma 18-200 and 18-250 lenses as possible substitutes in a decent price range. Ideally I'd think something with IS on it would be best. If I could find a decent lens that would perform at least as good as the 18-55 kit lens on the low end I think I would be willing to sacrifice a little bit on the long end. I've actually found that I don't use the 70-300 as much as I would have thought. The relatively high stops on it has pretty much kept it out of my general use.

Anyways, spam away, I'm sure a lot of people have differing opinions... I know, I've already read a good number of papers online. Besides, it should keep us busy for at least a couple days. In the meantime, I think I need to find something new to shoot, my friends band that I'm so fond of posting pics of has more or less disbanded for the time being.

KAJed on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jumping Spider eating Shadfly

DSC03748.jpg

DSC03745.jpg

DSC03744.jpg

Girl Talk

DSC03757.jpg

DSC03761.jpg

DSC03768.jpg

DSC03771.jpg

DSC03777.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

LAst one reminds me of how heavy the bass was

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I see cleavage!

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Be thankful I didn't post my shirtless pics.

See, Mr. Girl Talk had taken his off and I didn't want him to feel weird...

...I have tiny tiny nipples

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man...this place is jumping this week... :|

3719709451_49d9278b22.jpg

3720522524_ba14ceeae8.jpg

3719709497_769d1b7364.jpg

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    needO - #1: YES!, #2: I don't think the building adds anything. What about a square crop intersecting the top of the tree (giving the cliche 3rds thing, but focuses more on the girls and on the lovely wonderful colors)?, #3: YES!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey, good idea with the square crop! I'll modify it when I get home.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Staleghoti: Are you posting those as snap shots or do you want critiques on them?

nO: the last shot I like the composition and DOF/blur but the eyes look a little weird and a tiny bit over PSed. The top one also looks slightly crooked.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Haven't been shooting much and so haven't had many good pics with my new lens. But here's one I took today that I am pretty happy with. I might be tempted to reduce the saturation of the foliage, but I think I'll leave it alone and concentrate instead on getting a superior shot of the subject. The angle of view is pretty static in my opinion. I would prefer to get one looking up at the dragonfly, from a head-on (or nearly) angle.

Anyway, thoughts and crits always welcome!

IMG_4858.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Staleghoti: Are you posting those as snap shots or do you want critiques on them?

I always welcome crits as long as it's not "This is fucking horrible" since I know they usually are.

I prefer something I can actually use.

I was told at Concordia that my images bare a journalistic quality, the leet pros here either call em snap shots or total garbage.

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pope - I like it. Only thing I can think of is you carrying around a large piece of paper of a color that would contrast the bug a bit more. Like you said - the composition could be better - a little state.

needOptic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Staleghoti: Crits embedded below in your quote because I'm lazy.
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Jumping Spider eating Shadfly

..all three bug shots...
    These are very washed out and lack quite a bit of contrast. The blown out portions of the picture are quite distracting and look kinda crappy. I would crop them out or rotate it and then crop it out.

Girl Talk

DSC03757.jpg
    DSC03761.jpg
    These two above images are very mundane. What is the subject...the crowd or the dj? If it is supposed to be the dj or both then you should try and get his face in the shot because a persons back is not very engaging even if they are crouched on a table like a crazy person. Also you should crop out the people's shoulders and hands you have at the edges of the frame.

DSC03768.jpg
    this picture of the eye is really utter crap there is nothing redeeming to it. It just looks like you are trying to show "hey look there is a picture of my eye and a famous guy in the background".

DSC03771.jpg
    This is good use of motion blur and kind of abstract.

DSC03777.jpg
    This shot you could crop everything to the left of his shoulder. It is distracting and adds nothing to the shot.

DSC03759.jpg
    This is just excessive handshake blur and doesn't really add anything to the photo IMO. My vision doesn't shake when bass occurs. Thus it seems odd to have it in this shot. The motion blur in the shot two above this one does make sense with what I am assuming is the dj moving.

The reason why people say your shots are journalistic or "snap shots" is because there doesn't seem to be any thought or polish behind them. It doesn't look like you are trying to employ good use of composition, DOF, subject isolation, lighting or just about anything.

Check out Pope's post and mine on really thinking more about what you are shooting and ways to isolate a subject:
    Pope:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=9750028&postcount=1171
    Mine:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=9169888&postcount=164

nO I like the middle one you did the square crop above. I'm assuming you darkened some of the foreground grass to isolate the light near the girls?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nice crits, thanks. I actually have one cropped the way you said, but for some reason I thought the screaming girl face added something, I dunno Girl Talk and all...

I think I have a phobia of cropping bodies.
    DSC03777-1.jpg

I focus on taking the ordinary and making it a little more new to look at during the next 6 days of the festival

Tonight: Ice cube, The Yardbirds and Our Lady Peace

Staleghoti on
This discussion has been closed.