As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gamersyde Diaries: Episode 2 [EP3 is out!]

Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I really enjoyed the first one, so I thought I'd post the second, spread it around, because the Xboxyde guys really deserve some recognition...

Anyone who's ever watched and liked the 1upshow should give this a try, it's like the same, but from an indie gaming site, so, waaay less resources available to them. So that they've done is really impressive.

http://www.gamersyde.com/index_en.html
http://xboxyde.com/news_3817_en.html

t_1168_0008.jpgt_1168_0006.jpgt_1168_0009.jpg
Gamersyde Diaries: Second! This month the menu is rather varied and each of the major platforms gets some coverage, Motorstorm and Resistance for the PS3, a big focus on Red Steel for the Wii, Call of Duty 3 and Gears of War for the 360, and the icing on the cake we'll put the spotlight on Nervous Brickdown, a lovely DS game developed by a small studio in Paris and that we really wanted to show to the world. Also worth mentioning, the video is now available in WMV format, using the classic WMV9 codec so it should work nicely with Flip4Mac, and a 720p version is on its way. As always we are looking forward to your comments!

A few side notes: We mention that Motorstorm is a launch title. It's of course a "launch window" title, with the japanese version being available in a few weeks in Japan already.

Also important, you'll notice that the framerate in the Gears of War part doesn't look too good. This isn't because of the game, but because on the fps conversion from 30 to 25. As soon as we have some money, we'll buy a NTSC HD camera and this won't be a problem anymore. Let me state this again, Gears of War is a totally smooth game ;)

Recoil42 on

• Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ok, finally had a chance to watch it this morning, and as expecte, it was fucking excellent. If not only slight worse, then on par, if not better, than the 1up show.

Waaaaaay better than anything on actual TV.

Sad to see this thread still has zero replies. Give it a chance, guys, you'll really like it.

Also, at the end, they show a DS game that this forum is really going to go wild for, and I bet you haven't seen before. I won't spoil it, but it's really fucking cool.

Recoil42 on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm downloading both episodes to watch later tonight. I'll give my impressions then. Looks pretty interesting though.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Better then the 1up show?

I'll give it a try.

Sanius on
    edited November 2006
    Sanius wrote:
    Better then the 1up show?

I'll give it a try.

I really think it's easily on par, if not better. Much more substance. Less revelations, obviously, these guys aren't fucking ziff-davis, but they've put together a damn good show.

Recoil42 on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wait.

Did Recoil post a topic, then post telling us he "finally watched" what the topic was about and that it's good?

That's like 3 confusing statements in a row.

The Muffin Man on
  • WicketW.WarrickWicketW.Warrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow, if I hadn't already done all these things in Double Agent I would have been fucking pissed for spoiling the game.

The first episode contains spoilers about Spliner Cell: Double Agent, ye have been warned.

WicketW.Warrick on
    94970502bg8.png
    edited November 2006
    Wait.

Did Recoil post a topic, then post telling us he "finally watched" what the topic was about and that it's good?

That's like 3 confusing statements in a row.

Because this is the second episode. The first one was really good, so I knew the second would be at least thread worthy, and posted the thread before I was done downloading myself.

After watching it, I came back, and confirmed that the episode was indeed top-notch as expected.

There should be no confusion here, people make threads here all the time about the release of something which looks excellent before they actually experience it themselves.

Recoil42 on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Downloading the 1 gig HD vid and planning to stream it to my 360.

Ranced on
    edited November 2006
    Ranced wrote:
    Downloading the 1 gig HD vid and planning to stream it to my 360.
    I'm doing the same here over the very slow bittorrent.

Sanius on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I started to stream the second episode. First time I've actually seen a PS3 game in action.

I kinda want one now. Not more than the Wii, but still that looks really awesome.

Mai-Kero on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    I started to stream the second episode. First time I've actually seen a PS3 game in action.

I kinda want one now. Not more than the Wii, but still that looks really awesome.

Their PS3 has actually broken and has had to be shipped back to Japan now... :?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited November 2006
    hmm 8 hours

oh well, i'm in no rush to watch this

i'd like to see these in game vids in hd anyway

Ranced on
    edited November 2006
    I enjoyed it.

Both Motorstorm and Resistance looked great, actually.

The Gears review was great, pretty much revealed half the game, but the guy seemed utterly thrilled with it, and the sheer fun of killing Locusts. Nice to see the hook of the game broken down in such an enthusiastic manner.

Xboxyde is such a cool site with what they offer for free.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • PentPent Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I will download it now, I really enjoy the 1up show, and wish there was more online like it.

Pent on
    :winky:
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i was gonna read this thread, but the obnoxious threadless whoring got in the way

Zoolander on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Xboxyde FTW. It's like the 1UP show with less jackassery.

bruin on
    edited November 2006
    Btw, has anyone even heard of Nervous Brickdown before? Because this is definitely the first time I have...

Recoil42 on
    edited November 2006
    It'll be done in 30 minutes.

This took a while.

Ranced on
    edited November 2006
    recoil -
    I hadn't heard of it, or the developer, before. Looks pretty cool, I'll keep an eye on it. The paper and old-school gaming worlds look just awesome.

bruin on
    edited November 2006
    I wonder how much we're missing out on in the subtitles. I picked up on quite a bit of dialog just from knowing a little french.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited November 2006
    watching now

and the HD video looks glorious on my tv

Ranced on
    edited November 2006
    all the things they said about gears of war i completely agree with

it's pure fun

and Red Steel looks much better at 480p

need some component cables now

Ranced on
    edited November 2006
    Ranced wrote:

it's pure fun

Even the part about the guns not being useful? When he said that I was thinking he must have never even tried using the shotgun, or ever played multiplayer before.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited November 2006
    defrag wrote:
    Ranced wrote:

it's pure fun

Even the part about the guns not being useful? When he said that I was thinking he must have never even tried using the shotgun, or ever played multiplayer before.

I only found one gun not useful and that's the locust assault rifle.

I'm not really sure why it's even in the game.

The comments about it being the best action game in a long time and it being something you can play over and over again is spot on.

Ranced on
    edited November 2006
    I disagree with his assessment of the weapons, and I'll elaborate on that in a sec, but he was definitely right about the grenades, and that's something I noticed before myself, but haven't heard many people point out.

Now, the weakness with the weapons isn't so much that none is useful enough... they're all fine weapons for their sort, and very distinct and useful. The problem lies in that the level design doesn't cater to specific weapons, as most games do... in GoW, there's no "sniper level" (Halo's Assault on the Control Room), or a "shotgun level" (Halo's Library and 343 Guilty Spark).... It's because the terrain changes so often, and you go from street fighting, to indoors, and back out to a street, and into an open area, etc. .. that you are forced to choose the "safe" median weapons. You just often can't risk picking up a specialized weapon, in case the terrain changes dramatically. And if you find yourself in the middle of a field with a shotgun and boomer... well, you're fucked. Indoors with a sniper rifle and torque bow.... good luck. etcetera.

edit: As for the locust SMG being unique, yes, it is. It's advantage and distinct feature is ammo, and not many people realize this. There's ammo for it every where, and unlike the other weapons, where ammo can get really scarce sometimes, you'll ALWAYS have ammo for the locust SMG, because it's everywhere.

Recoil42 on
  • BlimblimBlimblim Registered User new member
    edited November 2006
    Glad you guys like the show. Snoopers spent a lot of time on this, it would have been a shame if it sucked ;)

Blimblim on
    edited November 2006
    The Hammer of Burst (the locust assault rifle) is not useless; it actually has some advantages over the Lancer.
    • It's much more accurate over long ranges
    • It's much better for blindfire
    • It deals more damage

But it has no full-auto or decent melee (chainsaw).

Sanius on
    edited November 2006
    Sanius wrote:
    The Hammer of Burst (the locust assault rifle) is not useless; it actually has some advantages over the Lancer.
    • It's much more accurate over long ranges
    • It's much better for blindfire
    • It deals more damage

But it has no full-auto or decent melee (chainsaw).

Also holds more ammo. (I think, can't remember exactly how much though.)

Man, I love the Torque Bow. Wish that showed up earlier in the game.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • snooperssnoopers Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for your comments !

About the weapons of Gears, first of all, I'm only talking SP. We didn't have the time to do a good MP review, so all the things I say only concern SP. And about that, I really felt like most of the weapons were useless. The Locust assault rifle is too weak, the gun is only a support when you don't have ammo for the chainsaw-rifle, the hammer of dawn is not even a real weapons, as you are only able to use it when the game tells you so... etc. It wasn't big of a concern as the sniper rifle and the assault-chainsaw-rifle are great, but I really can't say anything good about the rest of the arsenal.

snoopers on
    edited November 2006
    Nice to have blim and snoopers here. Your site is awesomesauce.

I know what you mean about the weapons, but I feel they really open themselves up in repeated play throughs, in co-op especially.

And Insane mode too.

The shotgun is handy, for sheer fun and carnage if nothing else. The magnum can be really helpful when you start using it in the right spots - for example, the pistol whip makes mincemeat of of the luminous wretches, particularly on the train. The torque bow I pretty much skipped over on my first run-through, but now I make a beeline for it - 1 hit kills to boomers is always handy.

While the Longshot and Lancer are easy to fall back on, and using the other weapons takes a little bit of effort, when used right, they are a lot of fun IMO.

Once again, cool video overall - I liked your music choices too, especially in that Gears of War "crashing 'copter" cutscene. I'll download the 1st one later tonight after a few beers, will be cool to see some Viva Pinata - still not got that over here yet.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited November 2006
    I liked your music choices too

It totally made me download Take It or Leave It from iTunes, so I would have to :^: this too.

Yeah, the music choices are excellent.

Recoil42 on
  • snooperssnoopers Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thank's, I worked alot on it =)
    And you'll be glad to know we now have a composer for the show. His name is Jonas Tunander, and you heard him before as he was the one performing the different videogame covers in the two GSD episodes, as well as the three tunes he composed for the Nervous Brickdown segment.

snoopers on
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys!

Just a heads up to say that Gamersyde Diaries 3 has finally been released after a long and painful delay. This time it's about Rayman, Motorstorm, Resistance and Blue Dragon. I hope you'll like it :D

http://www.gamersyde.com/index_en.html (stream / 640x360 / 720p)

Blimblim on
    edited January 2007
    Blimblim wrote:
    Hey guys!

Just a heads up to say that Gamersyde Diaries 3 has finally been released after a long and painful delay. This time it's about Rayman, Motorstorm, Resistance and Blue Dragon. I hope you'll like it :D

http://www.gamersyde.com/index_en.html (stream / 640x360 / 720p)
    I watched it a couple days ago and really enjoyed it, just like the first two episodes. Especially the Blue Dragon feature, I can't wait for that to hit the states.

bruin on
  • Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Great show. To those that haven't seen it, go for it. Easily the best, and does not degenerate to the bullshit fanboyism of the other shows.

And visit both of their sites, too: playsyde and xboxyde, full of good stuff.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nintendo oui!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow. I just watched episode 3, and Blue Dragon looks FANTASTIC. Microsoft needs to hurry up and bring this over to America. Frothing demand for this game +7!

Shibbi Bibbi on
  • mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Awesome show, and I like the style of production. Quick access to Ubisoft is also a plus.

Is there an RSS feed of this, though?

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
    edited January 2007
    mr_ekim wrote:
    Awesome show, and I like the style of production. Quick access to Ubisoft is also a plus.

Is there an RSS feed of this, though?
    RSS feed should be available tomorrow. I'm still thinking about how to do it the right way :)
    Thanks for the topic title change btw!

Blimblim on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The lancer I found useless on hardcore. Isn't accurate, and for singleplayer the chainsaw sucks balls. Buch less versatile than a melee, and less reliable.

SilkyNumNuts on