As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gosling's Big Book O' Political Advice- (HOPEFULLY) FINAL DRAFT

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    do want. Gmail is same as forum name.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    -#111: Rewrite to something like: (Craig's Law) Gaffes are manageable. Scandals hurt, and sex scandals hurt the most. An affair involving a member of the opposite is a harrowing ordeal; an affair with a member of the same sex sounds the death knell of your career. Hence, getting a blowjob in the Oval Office will merely destroy your political capital; getting caught propositioning for gay sex in an airport bathroom will destroy your career.
    No, heterosexual affairs are fatal too more often than not. Bill Clinton is the exception. I can rewrite that entry, but both are fatal.

Vitter?
    Eliot Spitzer. Wilbur Mills. Gary Hart. (Mills is my favorite one.)

You win.

Not really. Spitzer's career was killed by the prostitution scandal because he had taken a hard line on prostitution at earlier points in his career, and had somewhat of a moral crusader image. To put it simply, a sex scandal usually won't be enough to take you down. But if you mix hypocrisy with sex, that will kill a political career dead.

I'd say the book should be organized like a book about law: give each rule then a good bit of case law and analysis. Case law would obviously be cases in which it's played, but there should also be an effort to find cases in which it would be expected to apply, but didn't, and then an explanation for why it did or didn't apply, with court opinions (with majority opinions being quotes from those who advocated that it should apply and minority opinions being dissenting quotes). The analysis would be general advice about interpretation and application, quotes about the rule in general, and current debates (in the case of this rule, does gay sex by any republican count as hypocrite sex).

The book could open with a cramped listing of all the rules without the commentary but with page numbers.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    I'd say the book should be organized like a book about law: give each rule then a good bit of case law and analysis.
    I got more of a Murphy's Law vibe, only about politics. It'd be good to have some of them expanded upon, here's how it came about, here's why it matters, etc., but arguing political case law about not picking a horse in the Kentucky Derby... be Beatles about it, let it be.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, for anyone who thinks this isn't bookworthy, you should see the stuff that goes right to the humor section in any given Borders. Stuff White People Like and Barack Obama is your New Bicycle are both books, despite their entire content being available for free online.

Of course, I'd aim for something larger. Based on general impressions you'll probably end up about the size of Areas of my Expertise by John Hodgman.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As a long time lurker, I desperately want to read this. Plus, its gives me something to read while sitting around at work.

gordon.harless at the gmail dot com.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Im requested access.

creiss74 at the gmail

Reading this may be right up my alley.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Also, for anyone who thinks this isn't bookworthy, you should see the stuff that goes right to the humor section in any given Borders. Stuff White People Like and Barack Obama is your New Bicycle are both books, despite their entire content being available for free online.

Of course, I'd aim for something larger. Based on general impressions you'll probably end up about the size of Areas of my Expertise by John Hodgman.
    I look forward to seeing Gosling's Practical Politics: A Pocket Guide somewhere in the midst of My First Pokédex and A Handy Pocket Reference to Ubuntu so I can move the copies to the Bestsellers shelf. I'm not sure what the second step is, but step number three is profit.

Gaffero on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy shit, how did I manage to delete the copyright in the update? QUICK I SHALL FIX POSTHASTE

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    As for the general tone of the book, I'm trying to strike a balance of sorts.

*On one hand, I'd like to write the entries in a manner that they are, to the reader, taken semi-seriously.
    *On the other hand, I've been kicking around the concept of putting inside the front cover the words "This book is a side note", followed by a giant opening parenthesis, and then putting a giant closing parenthesis inside the back cover.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Advice for the iowa entry - maybe mention ethanol or the farm bill.

"Iowans like corn. You know ethanol isn't necessarily the future, they know it, but God help you if you say it."

Delzhand on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oo, oo, me me!

Please to be having the access? marshalljoe @ the gmail.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My email is my name plus "2000@yahoo.com". I want to see what you have for Mass.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would love to read this.

machineinstinct @ gmail.

Ein on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Georgia: All those stopovers at Hartsfield didn't prepare you.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I don't like the one for Mass. While the term "gerrymandering" originated here, I'm not aware of any recent cases (or even changes in the district map), probably because there aren't any republicans to gerrymander. A better rule might be "The districts of Massachusetts were first designed to advantage a now defunct political party based upon the political map of 1812. As for more recent changes and the shape of new districts, they seem to make sense to the citizens of Massachusetts, but so does the Boston street layout, which includes rotaries that can send you to Earth 2 and 7-way intersections which include turns that will send you to major events in world history, including the grassy knoll at the moment of the Kennedy assassination."

A better idea might be something along the lines of "Remember, a pedestrian in Boston is worth an additional point for every piece of Republican Party or New York Yankees paraphernalia visible on his or her person. Given that the typical pedestrian is worth only three points, this is an incentive few Boston drivers would allow to escape." or "(Joe's Law) If you are considering criticizing a member or the commonwealth for getting the citizens of Massachusetts free heating oil from a man who criticized a prominent republican, especially President George W. Bush, don't. It'll only make him more popular."

There's also "Despite the Watergate scandal having already broken, Massachusetts was the only state to go against Richard Nixon and for George McGovern in the 1972 Presidential Election, and they will never, ever let you forget it."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Remember, a pedestrian in Boston is worth an additional point for every piece of Republican Party or New York Yankees paraphernalia visible on his or her person. Given that the typical pedestrian is worth only three points, this is an incentive few Boston drivers would allow to escape.
    Yeah, I'm not going to do that one. Way more partisan a tone than I want to take. Heck, outside the state chapter, I'm taking pains not to mention specific parties at all if I can. The only reason I do it for the states is that some of them are so far in the tank for one side that the other doesn't really have a shot. And I'm trying to eliminate as much of THAT as I can if I can come up with anything better.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Remember, a pedestrian in Boston is worth an additional point for every piece of Republican Party or New York Yankees paraphernalia visible on his or her person. Given that the typical pedestrian is worth only three points, this is an incentive few Boston drivers would allow to escape.
    Yeah, I'm not going to do that one. Way more partisan a tone than I want to take. Heck, outside the state chapter, I'm taking pains not to mention specific parties at all if I can. The only reason I do it for the states is that some of them are so far in the tank for one side that the other doesn't really have a shot. And I'm trying to eliminate as much of THAT as I can if I can come up with anything better.

While I understand that, the point of this book seems to be political reality, so hiding partisan realities is counterproductive. I'd say a better rationale for not using this suggestion wqould be that it's a bit close to the punch line of rule #7.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I can live with noting partisan reality. However, I'm trying to make as many things as I can applicable to either party. Or, at the very least, I don't want to say that a Republican pedestrian is "worth three points". A Republican sees that at #21 and they're not even going to read the other several hundred, instead proceeding to scream about me advocating that Democrats run over Republicans with their cars. I don't need that kind of attention.

Gosling on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Have you looked for a publisher Gosling?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I can live with noting partisan reality. However, I'm trying to make as many things as I can applicable to either party. Or, at the very least, I don't want to say that a Republican pedestrian is "worth three points". A Republican sees that at #21 and they're not even going to read the other several hundred, instead proceeding to scream about me advocating that Democrats run over Republicans with their cars. I don't need that kind of attention.

Not to argue, but isn't what most repubs think Boston is like anyway? Actually, how famous are Boston drivers for their aggressiveness?

Oh yeah, there's also Romney's Law: if you insult the state you represent in elected office on the national stage, your political allies are never going to hold that seat again, and your party probably isn't either.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Again. I'm not going to write anything that strikes the tone of running over members of a certain party. It's not going to happen.

Gosling on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Maybe if your book gets popular you'll be invited to the Daily Show or Colbert Report

Obs on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Again. I'm not going to write anything that strikes the tone of running over members of a certain party. It's not going to happen.

Okay. But why do you say Gerrymandering never left Mass?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If you're a Republican and you're in New England, good luck. You're going to need it.

If you're a Democrat, and you're in Utah; are you sure that you're a Democrat?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »

If you're a Republican and you're in New England, good luck. You're going to need it.

If you're a Democrat, and you're in Utah; are you sure that you're a Democrat?

If you're running for office in Wyoming, where'd you find the people to pander to?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The preferred option for a state entry is something that would apply there that would not apply in any other state- a specialized local issue (like I use for Nevada), a quirk of the local legislature (like I use for Texas), a campaign note that would only apply there (New Jersey), something that would please or tick off only the locals (Wisconsin). The PERSONALITY of who they elect (Delaware) is greatly preferred to the PARTY they elect (Wyoming). The party is a last-resort thing.

Gosling on
  • Options
    AlphaPiZeroAlphaPiZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy shit, how did I manage to delete the copyright in the update? QUICK I SHALL FIX POSTHASTE

You know it remains copyright even without the notice, right?

AlphaPiZero on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Maybe if your book gets popular you'll be invited to the Daily Show or Colbert Report

This is a pretty fucking sweet possibility, regardless of whether or not it actually can happen.

Also: VeritasVR at the gmail.com

Sweet.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »

This is a pretty fucking sweet possibility, regardless of whether or not it actually can happen.

Sweet.

If you get on the Daily Show or Colbert Report, you are obligated to thank each and every PAer by name on air.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sweet.

If you get on the Daily Show or Colbert Report, you are obligated to thank each and every PAer by name on air.

And mention that Clawshrimpy doesn't like the show's mech design.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Sweet.

Or get us tickets
    All of us

Rent on
  • Options
    AlphaPiZeroAlphaPiZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Sweet.

And mention that Clawshrimpy doesn't like the show's mech design.

Talk about cocks, a lot.

AlphaPiZero on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Current master copy is updated. (I draw attention to 604-606 in Downballot.) Word count is now 18,461.

Also, I think I can resolve the Massachusetts dilemma. I'll put that in in a second.

EDIT: Delzhand, I think I'm going to use your Iowa rewrite.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You might want to make #205 about the manga incident in Japan's parliament. Something saying that you shouldn't read non-pertinent materiel during sessions, especially not light reading, and especially not in in a genre or medium whose closest analog is looked down upon by your most important trade and diplomatic partner.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Which of course brings us to the world's oldest dilemma: do the words "politics" and "tentacle rape" ever belong together in a sentence that does not also include the word "AAAAAACK"?

Gosling on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Which of course brings us to the world's oldest dilemma: do the words "politics" and "tentacle rape" ever belong together in a sentence that does not also include the word "AAAAAACK"?
    And now you just combined the words "tentacle rape" and "Cathy" in my mind, and I want to kill you.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    And now you just combined the words "tentacle rape" and "Cathy" in my mind, and I want to kill you.

Rent on
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey gosling, requested access. Email is same as username at gmail.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

cathy2.jpg

:winky:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have requested access... kennethdhughes at gmail dot com

oldmanken on