As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] PhallaMan Zero: Final Day: Maverick (Mafia) Victory!

1495051525355»

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Still, in spite of the win-condition blues, this game was amazing. Thanks much for running it, it was really a blast.

Rend on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah. Regardless of any confusion, good work RU. You did really well.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Indeed, thanks RU. I had fun even though I lost.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My one weakness

I don't pay huge attention to the narrations

Gumpy on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rend wrote: »
    Anyway, even though I'm annoyed about my role PM, it was a fun game. That song was pretty sweet, and I still want to know who killed me.

!Requesting a PM for my final night seering please!

Also: good times R U thanks for hosting ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyway, even though I'm annoyed about my role PM, it was a fun game. That song was pretty sweet, and I still want to know who killed me.

Check the PMs I posted last page. All your answers are there.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Exarch wrote: »
    Meh, I thought it was pretty clear that it wasn't a faction game, or at very least that the Mavericks weren't a hugs and kisses can't-we-all-just-get-along group.

While I agree that narrations are often not married to the actual action, the host often makes that deliberately clear, ala the Red Mars game where Medo specifically said that the narration didn't reflect the game actions precisely. When RU had multiple days of reploids being fooled/killed for thinking they could help the mavs, I felt it was clear enough.

It's something to think about at least, and maybe every game should have a disclaimer regarding their narration fidelity at the start.

Well, I didn't want to hand-hold too much. In fact, I was worried when Marshmallow railed against the "bad PR" the Mavericks were getting. I thought that maybe I was laying it on a little too thick and putting the Mavericks at an unfair disadvantage. Turned out not to be the case, as the village proved, but still. As a host, I have to try my best to remain completely removed from the action and let the chips fall where they may. I try and correct any screwups that might come up, like my premature killing of Zellpher and the Dragoon/Flame Stag confusion (apoligies again to the players involved), but I designed the game a certain way and couldn't re-do a fundamental design just because people thought the wording of their win condition was too ambiguous. Lesson learned for me and for future hosts, I hope.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd say your treatment of Maverick actions in the narrations was right on the money, my insistence on calling it "bad PR" was a gross overstatement, I was hoping that by making it seem that we really thought we were being treated unfairly would help bring the neutrals around. Which it apparently did quite well.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

It's not telling me who killed Rend :P

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd say your treatment of Maverick actions in the narrations was right on the money, my insistence on calling it "bad PR" was a gross overstatement, I was hoping that by making it seem that we really thought we were being treated unfairly would help bring the neutrals around. Which it apparently did quite well.

Also, I don't think that I thanked you enough for outing yourself as Maverick and getting the village to side with us. It helped us soooo much. Even though you did turn on us! =P

I just wish you would have contacted us and said, "Hey guys, bring me back to your side." :D

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

Also, I don't think that I thanked you enough for outing yourself as Maverick and getting the village to side with us. It helped us soooo much. Even though you did turn on us! =P

I just wish you would have contacted us and said, "Hey guys, bring me back to your side." :D

Marshmallow actually contacted me the day of his conversion, lamenting the fact he had to turn on his former teamates. I felt for him, but reminded him "Well, why do you think they converted you?"

As painful as I'm sure it was for him, Marshmallow gets a gold star for being a good sport.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Did you check the google spreadsheet? I think it should be in there.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I'm not grudging him for playing the game. It was smart of the Hunters to bring him back, but unlucky for them, we kept MarshMallow in the dark as much as possible. We knew very well what could have happened, and it did happen.

Also, if I attempted to revive Sticks, would it have worked?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I'm not grudging him for playing the game. It was smart of the Hunters to bring him back, but unlucky for them, we kept MarshMallow in the dark as much as possible. We knew very well what could have happened, and it did happen.

Also, if I attempted to revive Sticks, would it have worked?

Because you were of the same faction, yes, but any other faction, no, because Vile was incorruptible. But I couldn't tell you that much. Anyone who tried to ressurect was taking a chance that their target was ressurectable. Telling you one way or the other would have been unfair.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well I was thinking that I revive and convert. Since he couldn't be converted, I thought it wouldn't go through. Also, I thought it wouldn't work because Bliss said he couldn't be revived after asking you. And finally, Bliss got special powers because Viled died. I assumed that meant he couldn't come back. Oh well. Sorry Sticks, I totally wanted you to win this game with us. We couldn't have done it without you.

If Bliss and Vile both died, would I have gotten a vig ability?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Did you check the google spreadsheet? I think it should be in there.

Micro grudged ooOooooO

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well I was thinking that I revive and convert. Since he couldn't be converted, I thought it wouldn't go through. Also, I thought it wouldn't work because Bliss said he couldn't be revived after asking you. And finally, Bliss got special powers because Viled died. I assumed that meant he couldn't come back. Oh well. Sorry Sticks, I totally wanted you to win this game with us. We couldn't have done it without you.

It's ok, I wasn't sure it would work on me either. Which is why I didn't suggest it before Zero killed me :| I knew right after marsh died that I was probably screwed though. Either Hellbunny didn't bus driver me, or they had an unblockable kill (which turned out to be the case).

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sticks wrote: »

It's ok, I wasn't sure it would work on me either. Which is why I didn't suggest it before Zero killed me :| I knew right after marsh died that I was probably screwed though. Either Hellbunny didn't bus driver me, or they had an unblockable kill (which turned out to be the case).

Due to the mechanics surrounding Bliss, I couldn't let him be revived if he died because we couldn't have 2 Sigmas running around. I could have built him a "dummy" role instead, but that didn't make much sense thematically, so instead, I went with the whole "he auto-revives inside someone else" angle.

Which, of course, turned out to be completely unneccesary.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That is kind of weird, looking at all the role PMs now. The idea of Sigma just shifting to the body of another reploid was really cool. Also, did the whole sibling-pair thing ever come in to play? I think all of them died before that ability ever mattered.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dusda wrote: »
    That is kind of weird, looking at all the role PMs now. The idea of Sigma just shifting to the body of another reploid was really cool. Also, did the whole sibling-pair thing ever come in to play? I think all of them died before that ability ever mattered.

Yeah, unfortunately the sibling pairs didn't get to shine, which is too bad. Neat that one of the apocalyptic ones did, though :)

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah. I must say it's become pretty easy to appear almost inactive in Phallas, and the village will just ignore you. I think this was the third time I did this as a baddie, although this time I was just semi-active in the beginning. Once I had time to play properly I just figured I'd continue being invisible.

I think we need stricter rules to eliminate people who play like this.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Yeah. I must say it's become pretty easy to appear almost inactive in Phallas, and the village will just ignore you. I think this was the third time I did this as a baddie, although this time I was just semi-active in the beginning. Once I had time to play properly I just figured I'd continue being invisible.

People have tried but the only thing that really seems to work is smaller games without the massive kill counts that have become standard.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Were neutrals considered a faction?

If so, does that mean that TehSloth's bomb would have only killed Mavericks, Hunters, and Repliforce characters?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

People have tried but the only thing that really seems to work is smaller games without the massive kill counts that have become standard.

Maybe main Phallas should become longer. Give each game a month. That way you'd learn a lot more about your fellow players. In the meantime, mini- and microphallas would run normally.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Maybe main Phallas should become longer. Give each game a month. That way you'd learn a lot more about your fellow players. In the meantime, mini- and microphallas would run normally.

A month? Jesus, that's way too long. You'd get inactivity from boredom if nothing else.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    A month? Jesus, that's way too long. You'd get inactivity from boredom if nothing else.

Not necessarily. I'd have played the Phalliad for a fucking year, because it was such fun. It depends on how the game is set up.

I think that the only way to really have fun as a villager is when you have some information to base your votes on. And getting there takes time, time that our Phallas don't have. The village vote should be important, not an afterthought overshadowed by all the specials.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Burnage wrote: »

Not necessarily. I'd have played the Phalliad for a fucking year, because it was such fun. It depends on how the game is set up.

I think that the only way to really have fun as a villager is when you have some information to base your votes on. And getting there takes time, time that our Phallas don't have. The village vote should be important, not an afterthought overshadowed by all the specials.

It would be interesting to see how the game would play for month-long engagements. It plays very differently in different time frames. This, for example, was an entirely different experience than any of the in person half-hour games I've been in. Epic reveals would have immense consequences in long term games, I think.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well, I was extremely suspicious of Osvik throughout as he was playing like that and thought he was a high up Maverick, but turns out he was a higher up in the Repliforce instead (which I didn't know anything about).

An active, participating village helps against this sort of behavior, as it stands out more. And this playstyle opens badguys (and specials on the flip side) to additional risks of engaging in suspicious behavior if they need to switch it up later on. Villagers in typical games usually are best served by playing an active role in shaping the vote and trying to route out badguys, but that was hamstrung a bit more in this game because of the win condition demanding survival. Being active tends to up your death rate.

Savant on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This pretty much sums it up, I think.

Not that it's a bad thing. It can just get a bit out of hand.

crimsoncoyote on