As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Suggestions? PAX RATE IS GO! LINK ON PAGE 5

• Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I know they haven't blocked the entire hotel because S7arbuck already reserved our room in case he misses out on the official PAX block.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    One thing I should ask... I have five guys coming (myself included). Do any of these hotels have rooms that will fit us all?

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
    edited February 2009
    seraphex wrote: »
    One thing I should ask... I have five guys coming (myself included). Do any of these hotels have rooms that will fit us all?

The Hyatt's Deluxe Double's will hold 4. The Sheraton also has a maximum of 4 adults per room.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

The Hyatt's Deluxe Double's will hold 4. The Sheraton also has a maximum of 4 adults per room.

And really, with those rooms, you don't want to go past 4. The Sheraton room I was in was pretty crowded with 4 guys.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

And really, with those rooms, you don't want to go past 4. The Sheraton room I was in was pretty crowded with 4 guys.

It should be mentioned that for most of the hotels you can't officially book more than two people into a room on the website without being charged extra. However what the websites say and what the hotel staff overrides when your party arrives are two different things.

Last year at the Sheraton they just asked how many door keys you needed regardless of what group size was on your reservation.

And I've seen a group of seven crammed into a room at the Sheraton. I wouldn't reccomend it.... but after seeing that I'd imagine five is possible. lol.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, and when we went to check out, the Sheraton had all kinds of extra charges on our bill for the extra 2 keys per room. Granted, I managed to get them to knock it off because they failed to tell us about the charge ahead of time, but everybody may not get that lucky.

There was also an extra $117 charge on my credit card statement from the Sheraton that I never authorized and they didn't even bother to tell me about themselves. I disputed that through my credit card company and it was removed with no hassle, but it never should have happened in the first place.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    From what I've seen, most hotels allow you to book up to 4 people per room, I saw one or two that allowed 5, but they rarely check or pay any attention when you get in the building. I stayed at the Red Lion last year with 7 people (including myself) and we didn't have one single problem, except that the room was really tiny. So you really shouldn't have to worry about having five people in a room, even if they technically only allow 4.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • KBs_FuRyKBs_FuRy Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    I live Downtown and if you are staying at either the Travelodge or Quality Inn (Downtown, right next to each other) let me know... You'll be able to connect to me :)

KBs_FuRy on
  • [Mr]Skadoosh[Mr]Skadoosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Red Lion was nice
    but brew, any idea on were we are stayin?

[Mr]Skadoosh on
    486x60_toxic_no_tag.jpg
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm planning on the Hyatt, and will probably book as soon as the discount rates are up, since I now know they don't charge until you check in/out (unless that was just the Red Lion, somebody confirm this for me plz!). I need to speak with people to get our group back together too.

Also, does anybody know if the Hyatt (or other nearby hotel) has joined rooms? Like two rooms next to each other that have connecting doors? Just curious...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited February 2009
    The Sheraton old tower has joined rooms, but not the new tower.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    The Sheraton old tower has joined rooms, but not the new tower.

Really? I stayed at the old tower before the new one even started construction, some years ago, and I don't remember noticing it. Of course, that's probably because I didn't stay in one. :P

Good to know though!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I went to the Sheraton's website to get an idea of what there normal rate is before discount, and I noticed something. If you book online, it required you to make a deposit of the full amount for when you are staying. It was an online special or something. I have used the Sheraton for PAX for the past 2 years and never noticed it. If I have to put down about $900 up front months in advance, well, that would be a deal breaker for me. I'm hoping its just for their current rate online and not the PAX discount...

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
    edited February 2009
    Nikolis wrote: »
    I went to the Sheraton's website to get an idea of what there normal rate is before discount, and I noticed something. If you book online, it required you to make a deposit of the full amount for when you are staying. It was an online special or something. I have used the Sheraton for PAX for the past 2 years and never noticed it. If I have to put down about $900 up front months in advance, well, that would be a deal breaker for me. I'm hoping its just for their current rate online and not the PAX discount...

It's pretty common for Hotels to have "web-rates" that are really good deals because they require payment upfront and have shitty cancellation policies. This shouldn't affect PAX, in fact, PA wouldn't let it.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would also suggest the Sheraton since it's right next to the convention centre. Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried squeezing in more than 4 people per room?

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
    edited February 2009
    Generals wrote: »
    I would also suggest the Sheraton since it's right next to the convention centre. Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried squeezing in more than 4 people per room?

In a previous page:
    It should be mentioned that for most of the hotels you can't officially book more than two people into a room on the website without being charged extra. However what the websites say and what the hotel staff overrides when your party arrives are two different things.

Last year at the Sheraton they just asked how many door keys you needed regardless of what group size was on your reservation.

And I've seen a group of seven crammed into a room at the Sheraton. I wouldn't reccomend it.... but after seeing that I'd imagine five is possible. lol.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    edited February 2009
    Nikolis wrote: »

The Red Lion didn't charge me anything until I checked in, even though I booked a couple months in advance. I just figured most of them would be that way, but if not, then that really sucks.

Yeah, you should have read the previous page... Most of the hotels allow you book for up to 4 or 5 people, but I went with a group of 7 last year in a really small room, no problems. You shouldn't have to worry about it, they won't check up on it or anything.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    4/5 is the max for a standard cheap hotel room. I decided its far better if I book for 4 people and show up with 4 people just to atleast be honest with the hotel in that regard. Honesty is the best policy.

Now, about securing another TV with available inputs for this next year? that will be the challenge.

Viscountalpha on
  • [Mr]Skadoosh[Mr]Skadoosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, you should have read the previous page... Most of the hotels allow you book for up to 4 or 5 people, but I went with a group of 7 last year in a really small room, no problems. You shouldn't have to worry about it, they won't check up on it or anything.[/QUOTE]

Yea sure, we slept on the floor, and pretty much were ever else we could
    but its doable
    Im bringing a sleeping bag this year
    or we should just get a 2nd room
    cuz i want to bring 2 more people then our massive group last year
    one is confermed
    one is not

[Mr]Skadoosh on
    486x60_toxic_no_tag.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Yea sure, we slept on the floor, and pretty much were ever else we could
    but its doable
    Im bringing a sleeping bag this year
    or we should just get a 2nd room
    cuz i want to bring 2 more people then our massive group last year
    one is confermed
    one is not

Well that's why I was asking, in case we get more people, but keep in mind at least 2 or 3 of us from last year wont be going this year. And we'll probably have more room in the Hyatt.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ahhhh My bad that I didn't read the previous page and caught up with that message.

Anyways, I remember that hotels placed a cap of 4 per room during the anime convention in spring. Friend's mom said that if people were caught breaching that threshold the guests would be evicted from the hotel.

If people can do 7 per room I wouldn't mind joining in the fray.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Go for the hotel andra its a bit expensive but much better than any of the larger hotels has a more exclusive feel and a great place to relax.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • toitletoitle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i stayed with a friend at the red lion - it was a killer view, beautiful room, had a fridge, the room service was delicious, and everyone was really friendly. also, the free wi-fi came in handy! and it was very close to the convention center. i plan on booking there, if the blocks don't fill up insanely quickly. hope that helps!!

toitle on
  • CatastropheCatastrophe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In the past when I have visited Seattle I have always stayed at Hotel Vintage Park. I realize they are a smaller hotel, and am curious as to whether or not they have offered the PAX group rate in the past - do any of you happen to know? They are only 6 blocks or so from the event, and staying somewhere else would be strange at this point!

Catastrophe on
  • seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't remember seeing them on the list of official hotels last year, but you could always call and ask them if they're offering a competitive rate for that weekend. Those can be magic words (I stay in a lot of hotels).

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The red lion site for the Seattle hotel says they're renovating in the middle of the year, so hopefully the rooms will look awesome by pax

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • CatastropheCatastrophe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't remember seeing them on the list of official hotels last year, but you could always call and ask them if they're offering a competitive rate for that weekend. Those can be magic words (I stay in a lot of hotels).

Think I'll do just that, there's something to be said for a bit of familiarity when traveling!

Catastrophe on
    edited March 2009
    The red lion site for the Seattle hotel says they're renovating in the middle of the year, so hopefully the rooms will look awesome by pax

I think they would have to become Hyatt quality, because they were already pretty nice when I stayed for PAX08. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I should have thought of this sooner considering how pissed I was last year at how much I spent on a taxi to and from the airport: Which hotels offer shuttle services?

Atlus Parker on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Downtown Airporter operates between SeaTac Airport and the Crowne Plaza, Fairmont Olympic, Grand Hyatt Hotel, Hilton Hotel, Madison Renaissance, Seattle Sheraton, Warwick Hotel and Westin Hotel.
    http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

I used it last year, though it took me a half hour to find the actual ticket stand and bus area. Instead of walking across the skybridge to the parking structure, there is an escalator that goes down to a large seating area. The bus park is out the exit, and the ticket booth is right by the exit. $11 for one way, $18 for round trip.

Luckily this year I have a friend who lives in the area and will be picking me up from the airport.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • ArbYMMVArbYMMV Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    This year will be my first trip to PAX. Flying out from MA, meeting up with some online friends.

Red Lion, Sheraton, and the Hyatt sound like great hotels...but what about some of the other ones that were discounted last year? Looking at last year's discounts, I see that the three I mentioned sold out for PAX08. Hopefully, someone can tell me a little bit more about these hotels, so that I have a Plan B.

-The Roosevelt Hotel
    -Crown Plaza
    -Homewood Suites by Hilton
    -Paramount Hotel
    -Hilton Seattle

Also, how quickly do hotels fill up once the discounts are posted?

ArbYMMV on
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

They just mean they're rotating the blankets from the 1st floor to the 3rd floor. :P

trickycoolj on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm looking for a specific type of lodging and I'm hoping that someone can help.

From least important to most important...

1: Both me and my Lovely Partner are very fit, able and willing to walk a considerable distance. For fun, the day before PAX 2008 we took a bus ride up to Discovery Park, walked around the entire park, then down into Ballard, across the locks and caught a bus back to Downtown. We walked from Downtown to the International District for food three times while we were in Seattle (about a mile each way), one of which was on Sunday night after PAX closed. "Geographical convenience" is not even a consideration as long as we can get to/from the Convention Center without a cab ride or going through high-crime neighborhoods. I would say that anything within 1/2 mile of the Convention Center would be perfect.

2: Price is a factor. We just bought a house and are kinda stretching finances to make PAX work for us. Last year, cost didn't matter because we had two incomes, no kids and no house payment. That's no longer true. I'm already setting aside money for the PAX trip six month in advance. On the flip side,

3. Privacy is huge. We're not college kids anymore. In fact, we're both in our early 40s. I know from experience that PAX-goes are generally great people, but we're not willing to share a room with people half our age. (Side note: it's a bit annoying when a fellow PAX-goer asks you what kind of games your kids play. First, we don't have any kids and second, and secondly, our kung fu is stronger. Just because we're old doesn't mean we cant beat you.)

4. Room size. This is where I'm pretty particular. I would hope to get something larger than the typical shoebox hotel room. Last year some of our friends stayed at the Red Lion and their room was literally a 10 by 15-foot square box, including the bathroom. A room with enough space to actually set up a gaming table without sitting on the bed would be much preferred. I saw some comments up-thread about the Hyatt having big rooms, but I'm "big" is a relative term. "Big" compared to what?

Last year we stayed at the Warwick and really enjoyed it. The location was good (seven blocks from the convention center) and the rooms were really large (255 sq ft). We ended up hosting two post-PAX game sessions in our room. But there was a lot of traffic noise through the tourist-friendly picture window and they did not have free internet.

I've temped to reserve a room there now, but I'm hoping for another suggestion.

Stupid on

26904.png
    edited March 2009
    #2 and #4 kind of cancel each other out, the larger the room, the more money you're going to spend and vice-versa. Once the PAX hotel blocks are announced, those will probably be the most cost effective options with the exception of the Green Tortoise Hostel.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I stayed at the Roosevelt last year and while the room was nice, it was a bit small and the place only had 2 elevators, so you waited a while for an elevator. I'd recommend finding a different hotel personally.

Also, people have mentioned it, but I've been told if you ever ask or recieve more than 2 room keys, you will pretty much be charged for every extra key per day. This is since their room prices include 2 adults and if you need more than 2 keys, they assume you have more than 2 adults in the room. So try to make-do with 2 room keys and you shouldn't incur any extra costs.

Ardor on
  • GodmeatGodmeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hilton Homewood Suites was everything a hotel room should be.

Free dinner (including beer and wine!) Monday through Thursday nights. Free breakfast every morning.

We paid about $180/a night. There were five of us. Three of us in the bed in the bedroom, two on the couch that folded out into a bed. If people wanted to sleep on the floors, there probably would have been room for four or five more.

Had a full-sized fridge, sink, dishwasher, microwave, two TV's, and more... It was basically a tiny apartment.

Totally awesome, and completely worth the money. It's about a block and a half to the convention center doors.

I would say, 'I can't recommend it enough,' but I can't. If I do, I may not be able to get a suite there again this year.

Godmeat on
  • KitsunePilot80KitsunePilot80 Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    So this will be my first time in the Seattle area and I may end up not staying with my cousin.

So I wanted to ask if anyone had stayed in any of the local Best Western hotels up there? (I ask because I'm an employee of the chain...) Which BW is closest to the convention center, which is best, etc. I guess I'm just looking for personal opinion since none of the hotel review sites were all that great.

KitsunePilot80 on
  • ShelbelleShelbelle Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    Last year I coordinated around 20 rooms at the Sheraton for my guild, people coming from all over the country, as well as Australia and Canada. Everyone got the PAX rate, and I don't think they screwed up even one person's reservation, which is pretty awesome. I've stayed there the past 2 years and will again this year. Their service was great and they were very accommodating and tolerant of our large, sometimes crazy group.

Shelbelle on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So this will be my first time in the Seattle area and I may end up not staying with my cousin.

So I wanted to ask if anyone had stayed in any of the local Best Western hotels up there? (I ask because I'm an employee of the chain...) Which BW is closest to the convention center, which is best, etc. I guess I'm just looking for personal opinion since none of the hotel review sites were all that great.

Can't tell you about best (can't even remember the last time I stayed in any hotel room), but your BW options near the CC are a long walk through a not-so-nice-neighborhood or a long walk through a somewhat nicer part of town.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sheraton was nice and this year at the Westin proper. I def give a fistbump to the Sheraton for having everything in order and the rooms are clean and big with nice views on the 25th floor.

MaoChan on
This discussion has been closed.