As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Tribute to the Great Successes in Theater and the Arts

FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Social Entropy++
20090221-dwjpspft7a29s8csps8pyerdhb.jpg

all i wanna do is

BLAM BLAM BLAM

Faricazy on

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What exactly was the purpose of this thread, Fari

Grey Ghost on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My school's male a cappella group did Paper Planes. It was pretty cool

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    thesearenothehammer.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited February 2009
    Those are not the Hammer

Grey Ghost on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    god I wish theatre was still about kings and queens fighting against god

futility on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    now theater is about theater and is dumb

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    True_West.jpg

theater is about stealing all the toasters in the neighborhood

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
    edited February 2009
    And now the summary a new contemporary play:

Lights up
    Character: AMAGAD I'm a minority... like a woman, gay, or black person. I will offer no solutions or real opinions on anything. I JUST WANT TO BITCH ABOUT MY PLIGHT AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS! And fuck you audience, you just paid $20 to watch me bitch about all of you sitting there watching me... and here's the thing. I wrote, directed, and am staring in this bitch. This is the only way I can make money as an actor. It also serves my need to be the center of attention... and I hope some of you are talent agents because I'm totaly awesome. Oh yeah wait... bitch bitch bitch I'm am oppressed.

Thank you... for your cash

futility on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    futility wrote: »

Lights up
    Character: AMAGAD I'm a minority... like a woman, gay, or black person. I will offer no solutions or real opinions on anything. I JUST WANT TO BITCH ABOUT MY PLIGHT AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS! And fuck you audience, you just paid $20 to watch me bitch about all of you sitting there watching me... and here's the thing. I wrote, directed, and am staring in this bitch. This is the only way I can make money as an actor. It also serves my need to be the center of attention... and I hope some of you are talent agents because I'm totaly awesome. Oh yeah wait... bitch bitch bitch I'm am oppressed.

This is why I quit theater in college.

In my junior year, some witless fuck decided they would direct "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe," but of course the school couldn't pay for the rights, so they called it "The Unnamed Play," and then, then, they switched the gender roles of two of the characters. They made the main couple two men and the second couple two women. I wanted to firebomb it opening night but I was convinced instead to sit through it and then walk up to the director, shake his hand, and congratulate him on having taken the finest piece of American dramaturgy ever produced and then having raped it to death.

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Lights up

In my junior year, some witless fuck decided they would direct "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe," but of course the school couldn't pay for the rights, so they called it "The Unnamed Play," and then, then, they switched the gender roles of two of the characters. They made the main couple two men and the second couple two women. I wanted to firebomb it opening night but I was convinced instead to sit through it and then walk up to the director, shake his hand, and congratulate him on having taken the finest piece of American dramaturgy ever produced and then having raped it to death.

Woah woah woah... you're only supposed to do that with Shakespeare

because if everyone goes around calling his plays some of the best writing EVER they should of course be adapted to take place in space, where the roles of the men and women have been ironically switched for and then the entire cast is transgendered, and the director is a super smart marmot and the shows only happen in Starbucks training centers, only announced through twitter.

OMG ART!

futility on
    edited February 2009
    I think I'm having aneurysm.

"But we're trying to make a statement about gender!"

"Yeah, because you're too fucking dumb to understand what the play already says about gender!"

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    I thought Who is Afraid of Virgina Woolfe always has the gender roles switched around even when people do purchase the rights to it.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This isn't about Wicked at all.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    this thread has a disturbing lack of Kristen Chenoweth

Centipede Damascus on
    edited February 2009
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    I thought Who is Afraid of Virgina Woolfe always has the gender roles switched around even when people do purchase the rights to it.

IIRC, Albee is, like all great playwrights, a total dick about it and has provisions in the contract that prevent you from doing that.

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    I just got back from seeing an all-black production of The Glass Menagerie

it was pretty good

Grey Ghost on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Lights up

nope

PiptheFair on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've always wanted to see Othello starring Patrick Stewart.

Bloods End on
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pip has a point.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
    edited February 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I've always wanted to see Othello starring Patrick Stewart.

isn't that the one where he's the only white guy

PiptheFair on
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it was called a "photo negative" production.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
    edited February 2009
    Oh good. That twitch in my right eye is back after reading that, mod.

Thanks.

Also, Pip, what's your vote. I just love that play so fucking much I'm willing to act as though my opinions about it are 100% objective.

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    streetcar

PiptheFair on
    edited February 2009
    or maybe rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead

but for totally different reasons

PiptheFair on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Last time I went to London I stood in the pit to watch Hamlet at the Globe and it was one of the best things I've ever done

#pipe on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    that sounds like one of the best things ever to do

I want to do that

Centipede Damascus on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I saw Ian McKellen do King Lear (wherein McKellen penis is shown) and The Seagull

gonna be hard to top those

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited February 2009
    Is The Seagull worth seeing? My school has a production going right now

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    one of my biggest peeves is when people do Romeo and Juliet, only instead of just feuding families - Montagues v Capulets, it's like the Montagues are X and the Capulets are Y

where X = Black and Y = White
    or X = Gays and Y = Lesbians
    or X = Liberals and Y = Conservatives

and yes I have seen, or heard about productions of all of those

#pipe on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    The only play I've seen that was about theatre was The Skin of Our Teeth by Thorton Wilder. It was indeed quite dumb.

Hacksaw on
    edited February 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    one of my biggest peeves is when people do Romeo and Juliet, only instead of just feuding families - Montagues v Capulets, it's like the Montagues are X and the Capulets are Y

Ok, the liberals/conservatives one sounds 10 kinds of retarded

Grey Ghost on
    edited February 2009

How would you even convey that without rewriting the script? That doesn't make any sense. In other news I'll admit I thought the film production with DiCaprio was actually quite good.

And Pip, those are both excellent choices. Have you seen the film production of "Who's?" It is really fucking good.

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    So they are a family of gays and lesbians?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

it was like Romeo and Benvolio and Mercutio were all hippies and smoked weed and shit, and Tybalt was a lawyer and oh god it was awful.

#pipe on
    edited February 2009

it was like Romeo and Benvolio and Mercutio were all hippies and smoked weed and shit, and Tybalt was a lawyer and oh god it was awful.

Huuuuuuuuuuurgh

when we did it in high school we kinda color-coded the clothing, sorta, but that's as much delineation of the sides as we did

and even that was because we were performing it for a bunch of dumbass high-schoolers

edit: also our Benvolio was a girl but that was just cause there weren't many dudes in the drama club

Grey Ghost on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Is The Seagull worth seeing? My school has a production going right now
    Yes

Yes it is

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited February 2009

Dee fucking colon

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    The only play I've seen that was about theatre was The Skin of Our Teeth by Thorton Wilder. It was indeed quite dumb.

Hmm, our drama department is doing that now and I was going to go see it for an assignment in my English class

guess I won't though

Grey Ghost on