As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 game recommendation

sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
I have been a Wii owner since the system came out. I am going to sell it now and get a PS3. Since I am somewhat unfamiliar with the game lineup for PS3, I am wondering what game to get for my wife. On Wii, she likes party games (easy, fun ones like Mario Party), Animal Crossing, and games like Big Brain Academy. Any recommendations on games similar to those on the PS3? I think she would really like a Big Brain Academy type game. Thanks in advance!

Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
PM me if you add any of my codes
sushiboy on

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    do you have any reason to sell the wii and get a ps3?
    because the type of games you want are what the wii/ds is perfect for.
    the ps3 is not this type of game machine.

useless4 on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I love my PS3 and I think it's an amazing system...but not for the type of games you're describing.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Closest thing I could think of to a party game on the system would be Littlebigplannet, Buzz, Rockband, singstar.

Take it a step further and maybe some shooters like blast factor and stardust. These though tend to be too stresful for the marioparty crowd.

Maybe let her zone out with Flower and Flow. While flow does have a co-op mode the apropriate way to play these games is to just relax by yourself and zen out.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    If you want to get a more serious gaming machine a PS3 or a 360 are good. You don't sound like you want a serious gaming machine. I would keep my Wii if I were you.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sounds like he wants a more serrious game machine but is trying to find an offering to apease his woman. Honestly for the casual party games the wii and ds hands down are the best thing next to popcap. My best friends fiance loves LBP but Can't say the same for every chick out there.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    If you are trying to get a more serious machine but keep her happy you probably would be better with a 360. A lot of great arcade games, Scene It, Lips, You're In The Movies, etc....

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Malechai has it right. I do want a more serious system, but I want a game that my wife will want to play too. I was just doing a quick google search and found "Brain Challenge Deluxe", but not much info on it. Just a bunch of conflicting release dates. Im not really sure where to buy it either. It says it is on XBLA for 360, but on a disc for PS3.

sushiboy on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LBP is great but definitely not for everyone.

Honestly, Grand Theft Auto IV is still the game of choice for me and my friends. I can't emphasize enough how entertaining this game can be.

Pixeljunk Eden is an awesome title and I guarantee you haven't played anything like it.

Even as a PS3 owner, I must recommend reconsidering the 360. It's significantly cheaper and has a deeper library...there may be more there for you. I think LBP and the PSN titles are what would make or break the deal.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    edit- uhh i seemed to have submitted twice.

Cobell on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh wait, it looks like Brain Challenge might be a download game on PS3 as well. Im not sure. Can anyone with a PS3 confirm this? Flower and Flow look like they might be cool, but I dont really understand the concept when I watch the youtube vids. Can anyone tell me what the price to download these games are?

As for all the 360 recommendations, yea, it is cheaper, but 1) I gotta have me FF13 as soon as it comes out and 2) everyone I know that has a 360 has had to send it in b/c of the RROD multiple times and I'm not sure I want that hassle.

sushiboy on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think there are many games that match your request; I would browse the PSN library though. It's your best bet

Brain Challenge should be out already. It's a PSN (Playstation Network) game; go online to the store, and you can download it for $10 I believe.

Wikipedia link to a list of PSN games.

Other than that I would possibly recommend some of the following:

Major release games:
    Little Big Planet - multiplayer, cute, platformer

PSN games:
    Flower - an amazing single player experience; short but very easy to handle

Pixel Junk Monsters - tower defense; hard and fun; has 2 player co-op; Pixel Junk also has a platformer and a racer

If your wife likes puzzles:
    Echochrome - an Escher like wireframe game, where you navigate your maze by changing the camera angle and the perspective of what is there (or not there)
    Cuboid - You are an object made of cubes, and you goal is to line up into the exit; look this up on youtube for a better idea of how play goes.

Bejeweled 2 - classic bejeweled action; matching like gems together
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords - This is a mix of bejeweled and rpg

Super Puzzle Fighter - almost like tetris, but you form blocks to break to "fight" another character.

Noby Noby Boy - a quirky Japanese sandbox "game" from the maker of Katamari Damacy. It's not a game really, but a sandbox playground where you are a thing that stretches.

Cobell on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Flower is kinda like a sandbox puzzle game your blowing a cloud of flower petals around an area openning up flower buds and restoring nature. Suprisingly fun and relaxing. Flow you basicly just guide your little singlecelled criter around eating stuff to become a more complex organisim, occasional fights with other tiny criters. Belive flow is 5 dollars and Flower since its brand new is 10 dollars right now.

About FF13 unless your planning to import the japanese version the NA and EU releases are suppose to be simultanious on both consoles.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Lego games might be good (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, etc) - but really, it sounds like you should just be keeping the Wii and supplementing it with a PS3/360.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, just save money for another month instead of getting rid of a console.

All my friends that sold their wii have had regrets about it at some point.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I don't regret selling mine at all. My girlfriend seems to be enjoying worms, braid and castle crashers a lot more than anything on the wii.

As far as PS3, LBP is about the only thing she has showed interest in (and rock band of course).

chuck steak on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you can get it, Pixel Junk Monsters on PSN is awesome fun and great with two people. I played it until 3:30 am once when I played with a friend.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you absolutely have to get a PS3 over a 360, and you need a big library of casual games, Popcap is releasing all of their popular games on PSN (they have been out on Live Arcade for a while). Bejeweled is already out, and I think Zuma was just released as well. And I know that Peggle is coming soon as well, which is basically like digital crack.

And if your wife has never played it before, you should get her Puzzle Quest. My wife has played through it like 3 times on the DS, and when I told her it was on PSN seriously thought about buying it again.

Halibut on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    3on3 NHL is surprisingly fun for PS3.

You may also want to consider getting Uncharted. The special lady may not want to play it, but its story is basically a B Hollywood action flick, so it can be pretty enjoyable to experience together. Get it anyways since the game is fantastic.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Alternatively, I don't know a single person (myself included) who have ever spared another thought for the Wii after parting ways, other than occasionally having a look at the Wii releases at the game store to see if there was any reason to reinvest yet.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Buzz is fun as a party game, but I'm not sure how fun it would be with just 2 players.
    My wife likes to sing so Sinstar and RB1/2 work for her.

She absolutely looooved PJMonsters. It has cute little monsters the coop is fun as hell. (Probably her favorite video game ever) Some might find it too hard, but its easier with coop.

She also really liked LBP, but only the story levels, she doesn't have the patience to find the good community ones.

Sonic's Mega Genesis collection is pretty good in that it has a number of puzzle and coop games on it.

LEGO starwars was fun for a bit, but got boring and they all play the same.

As a recent 360 owner I'd love to hear what wife friendly exclusive games are on that system. Feel free to send PMs if you don't want to derail. (She loved Braid but that was over all to quick. She liked Castle Crashers, but got bored with it half way through. I'm looking more for coop games more so than quiz show stuff like scene it.)

On selling consoles: Normally I'm against selling consoles since I usually regret it, especially considering the price you get for it. However selling the wii might not be so bad since the resell value on them was pretty good. (not sure if this is till the case)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Buzz is fun as a party game, but I'm not sure how fun it would be with just 2 players.
    My wife likes to sing so Sinstar and RB1/2 work for her.

She absolutely looooved PJMonsters. It has cute little monsters the coop is fun as hell. (Probably her favorite video game ever) Some might find it too hard, but its easier with coop.

She also really liked LBP, but only the story levels, she doesn't have the patience to find the good community ones.

Sonic's Mega Genesis collection is pretty good in that it has a number of puzzle and coop games on it.

LEGO starwars was fun for a bit, but got boring and they all play the same.

As a recent 360 owner I'd love to hear what wife friendly exclusive games are on that system. Feel free to send PMs if you don't want to derail. (She loved Braid but that was over all to quick. She liked Castle Crashers, but got bored with it half way through. I'm looking more for coop games more so than quiz show stuff like scene it.)

On selling consoles: Normally I'm against selling consoles since I usually regret it, especially considering the price you get for it. However selling the wii might not be so bad since the resell value on them was pretty good. (not sure if this is till the case)

This is a good point about the resale value of the wii. Might want to look at ebay or something comperable, instead of ebstop where you are sure to get fleeced.

Still though if the woman is enjoying animal crossing and other such titles might be safer to hang on to the wii instead of upsetting her. Love the psn and most of the fun quirky titles on there, but just don't know how much cassual apeal they will have. It's almost like asking a metal head what there favorite county or disco album is.

Edit: Oh yeah and fat princess is comming out soon. Might be too bloody but damn if that dosn't look like a blast to play

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There's not a lot of party-type games for the PS3, so you're gonna be kinda SOL in that respect
    However
    Since you're an FFXIII fan I'm gonna say you're required to get Valkyria Chronicles for yourself the instant you acquire a PS3
    No excuses

Rent on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All of the previous suggestions are good. I would also like to throw out a recommendation for Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. It's got the visual quality of a Pixar movie and is just a blast to play. It's also a lot easier than something like Uncharted (which is an amazing game and fun to watch). It's still a platformer/shooter though, so your wife may not like it, but you should at least give it a rental because it is a fine game.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    has Calling All Cars been mentioned yet? it is supposed to be quite fun on multiplayer

gurusloth on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    sushiboy wrote: »
    Oh wait, it looks like Brain Challenge might be a download game on PS3 as well. Im not sure. Can anyone with a PS3 confirm this?

Just checked the PSN - yeah Brain Challenge is up there for $9.99 and it has a $7.99 expansion.

Also, Valkyria Chronicles:^: And Siren:^: and Uncharted and R&C Future and LBP and MGS4 :^::^:

edit:
    and GTA IV and Fallout 3 and Dead Space and RE5 and Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia...

...and soon Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain and God of War 3 and inFamous and R&C Future 2 and White Knight (to sate your Final Fantasy hunger for a while) and Prototype and... Ubisoft Montreal's next game - my money's on Assassin's Creed 2.

I should note - you say you want a PS3 so you can play FFXIII sooner. Japan gets it on PS3 first, then the rest of the world gets it at the same time on PS3 and 360 - much later. So unless you can read Japanese, a PS3 won't let you play 13 any sooner. You will get 13 Versus though (made by the Kingdom Hearts crew).

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Think you missed the point of the OP Chance, while all the games listed are fantastic wouldn't say too many appeal to the casual market that his wife fits into. Cept for maybe heavy rain, LBP and R&C. Siren has great production value and might be good too cept it's very unnerving to play.

Edit: Take back what I said about Siren it's also hard as nails so that would probably be frustrating for her.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh I know, I know. But someone else mentioned Valkyria and I was like, "well yeah, Valkyria, and this... and this and this and this and this-" and admittedly got carried away.

Oh, Sushi you also asked about Flower. I still haven't laid down my $10 for it (I will), but I can tell you I've yet to hear a negative post or comment on it. Pretty much everyone agrees it's the bees' knees.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Flower is the most relaxing game in all of existence. Turn down the lights, turn up the volume and become the wind

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    Flower is the most relaxing game in all of existence. Turn down the lights, turn up the volume and become the wind

Flower is an amazing game, but I'm not sure how much appeal it has with casual folks. My wife certainly enjoyed watching me playing it, but when I gave her the controller, she became frustrated with the controls. There is a learning curve that I'm not sure a lot of casual gamers will want to push through to enjoy the game.

Halibut on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    gurusloth wrote: »
    has Calling All Cars been mentioned yet? it is supposed to be quite fun on multiplayer

nah, it sucks

the thing i like about the ps3 is it does have a lot of games which capture casual gamers, but it rarely compromises with cheap and nasty experiences

there's stuff like the eye of judgment, which you can probably get pretty cheap nowadays, and with a set stack of cards it's a great 2-player boardgame. almost all of its criticisms come from the ongoing costs, but i never spent a cent on it after my initial investment, and my girlfriend and i played it for ages

civilization: revolution is another one. slightly simplified version of civilization that's been honed for quicker, up-tempo games. civ will addict anyone who gives it a bit of time. this much i know.

some other games i've played with my girlfriend: locoroco coccoreccho and piyotama (both $3), all the pixeljunk games, buzz, flow & flower, littlebigplanet, uncharted (like many people here, i wasn't allowed to continue the story until she was present), lego star wars, elefunk...

if your girlfriend likes puzzles, she'll probably also be excited by echochrome, which is very different and wonderfully presented. i liked it a lot

it's not a party machine like the wii is, but the good thing is it does have a really good library of unique games that are available instantly and inexpensively. just go through the psn one night with her, try some demos and take some blind stabs, and she'll end up with a hell of a lot to play with

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    thanks for all the tips and help guys! i really appreciate it. i do have one question with flower. i envisioned the controls just simply being tilting the sixaxis around in the direction you want the wind to blow and that as the end of it. are the controls more difficult than that?

sushiboy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    thanks for all the tips and help guys! i really appreciate it. i do have one question with flower. i envisioned the controls just simply being tilting the sixaxis around in the direction you want the wind to blow and that as the end of it. are the controls more difficult than that?

It's that, but you can also hold down a button to make yourself go faster

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you don't need Bluray, keep the Wii (for your wife) and grab a 360 arcade. I have all three and love my PS3 for its exclusives, but I'd never take the PS3 over my 360 unless I absolutely had to have Bluray.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Reznik wrote: »

It's that, but you can also hold down a button to make yourself go faster

Yeah, you can play it with one hand if you want, it makes the tilting a little easier.

Anyway, if you're looking for party games you may want to check out Buzz and Singstar. Both were really popular casual franchises throughout Europe on the PS2 and the PS3 versions are pretty similar but have downloadable DLC (Buzz even lets you create your own questions and download other peoples ones). I believe Singstar's also backwards compatible with the PS2 versions of the game, so that'd be a pretty cheap way of picking up new songs.

You can't go too wrong with LBP, R&C and the Ultimate Mega Drive Collection either.

Otherwise, I'd recommend checking out the PSN. There's a bunch of pretty casual games on there, including PixelJunk Monsters and Eden, Flower, Flow and some of the other puzzle games.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I have to go with Raijin and the others who are suggesting you consider a 360. If we're interpreting the OP right, and you want a console that allows you to play serious business games while still offering a selection of lighter, more casual fare, then the 360 is really worth a look.

The amount of casual stuff you can get on XBLA is absolutely stunning--board games! puzzle games! old-school arcade stuff redesigned for the 360! goofy but solid original stuff like Castle Crashers! And then you've got the two 360 versions of Scene It! which are becoming a party game genre unto themselves (I bet you a nickel we see a third edition this holiday season) and stuff like Rock Band and Lips for more party action.

Meanwhile, you can wade knee-deep in hardcore games. Everybody wins!

The casual stuff on PSN is certainly nothing to scoff at, but a lot of it is quirky--sorta designed to appeal to veteran gamers from a different gameplay perspective, I think--and may not be what you're lady's looking for. Little Big Planet is the only PS3-exclusive "casual" game sold on a disc that I can think of, and that also may not be what your lady is looking for. If you're set on a PS3 (probably in order to play the Sony exclusives) then by all means go for it, but don't rule out the 360 as another great option.

Captain K on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the record I have both a 360 and a PS3 and my wife much prefers the PS3's titles. I'm not sure why exactly (Captain K is right -- XBLA has a crapload of content on it and there very well may be something that appeals to to your spouse). Personally I say get the console that appeals most to YOU. You're going to be the one playing it the most, and there's stuff your wife will very likely like on both consoles.

In terms of what my wife likes on the PS3:

LittleBigPlanet -- she plays this when I'm not home and bugs me to do co-op with her -- LOVES this game
    PixelJunk Monsters -- she loves this game as well and is always pestering me to do co-op with her
    Singstar -- her all time favorite PS3 game. We've got all 3 albums and have spent a ridiculous amount of money on DLC
    Flower
    Valkyria Chronicles <-- she loves to watch me play this and is always pestering me to unlock more of the story
    Uncharted -- again another game she enjoys watching me play

In terms of 360 titles she likes to play or watch me play:

Guitar Hero III
    Bejeweled 2 -- she sucked up hours of playtime with Bejeweled 2
    Call of Duty 4/World At War -- She loves watching me play this, it's like having a backseat driver
    Gears of War 1/2 -- sames as CoD4, she gets a kick out of yelling at me "you suck, kill them KILL THEM" (yes she's abit bloodthirsty <3 )
    Fable 2 -- She likes to play this alot but said the world is "lonely" (I got her hooked on Guild Wars way back and now I think she has the potential to become an MMO junkie)

Anyways hope this helps.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Argh, you guys can't just point to XBLA without dropping some suggestions. Its hard to separate the good stuff from the crap.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Tyler the GreatTyler the Great Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No one regrets selling their wii.

Tyler the Great on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    Argh, you guys can't just point to XBLA without dropping some suggestions. Its hard to separate the good stuff from the crap.

Nearly everything on XBLA has a free demo. It's actually incredibly easy to separate the good stuff from the crap!

Captain K on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Captain K wrote: »
    The amount of casual stuff you can get on XBLA is absolutely stunning--board games! puzzle games! old-school arcade stuff redesigned for the 360! goofy but solid original stuff like Castle Crashers! And then you've got the two 360 versions of Scene It! which are becoming a party game genre unto themselves (I bet you a nickel we see a third edition this holiday season) and stuff like Rock Band and Lips for more party action.

I should probably point out that Lips, Scene It and You're in the Movies are Microsoft's blatant ripoffs of Singstar, Buzz and Eyetoy. Not that that necessarily makes them bad games but I'm pretty sure they're not getting as much support internally as the Sony equivalents (as far as DLC and downloadable content goes). If you're interested in any of them, I'd recommend checking out that sort of stuff.

Anyway, yeah the XBLA probably does have more casual games (though neither have peggle). It may be a bit hard sorting through all the games to find the good ones though, trying every demo on it would be fairly annoying and difficult (which is probably why greeble asked for suggestions).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid