As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

And A Butler Shall Lead Them--The Outsiders Thread

KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
11116_400x600.jpg

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Bat-thread, but the new Outsiders seemed to merit its own thread, especially since Peter Tomasi has taken over.

I've been a fan of the team since Mike W. Barr created it way back in the alleged day, but lost interest when Judd Winick just seemed to be speed writing the scripts. I was very excited when Peter Tomasi (who is doing a superb job on Green Lantern Corps )took over the book, and so far, he has not let me down.

So who the Outsiders?

Quickly put, they are Batman's own super-team. Realizing that his fight on crime could not be limited to just Gotham, he put together the Outsiders to realize crime-fighting on a global level. This is a team he's in control of, unlike the Justice League. With each member of the team reflecting a part of himself, the Outsiders are an extension of Batman himself.

But now with Batman 'gone', the leadership of the team has fallen to Alfred. (This was part of Batman's contingency plan, should anything happen to him--like, y'know, being sent back in time). While the team has had several members, the current team hearkens back to the first membership, seen first in Brave and The Bold #200 (1983)

The current team now includes:

1. Owlman

2. Katana

3. Geo-Force

4. Black Lightning

5. Halo

6. Metamorpho

7.The Creeper

The new book, under Tomasi, has more of a Suicide Squad feel to the book than I think we've ever had before, with Alfred telling the members that to be part of the Outsiders means leaving all of their loved ones and lives behind for months at a time, as they undertake a campaign against an enemy the Outsiders have been unknowingly fighting for years.

A new start for a classic team.

KidDork on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not too familiar with the Outsiders, and am too lazy to Google it. You should update the OP with a roster, some background, and some pictures. Attract me to this book.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    I really like Tomasi's stuff so far, which isn't surprising because his GLC and Nightwing are (were) awesome.

I'm not a fan of the "you must leave your family for months on end" thing, though. That doesn't seem like something Batman (whose whole thing is that he misses his family) would do. The only person it really matters with is Black Lightning. I think it'd have been cool if Black Lightning turned Alfred down, but it's not a big deal because I like the character.

I'm also slightly disappointed that Owlman isn't a Batman-clone. I think I'd be more disappointed if he was, but the costume is so cool (well, the mask) that I wish he was more than just a pudgy smart guy

The "reboot" is also worth it because now Katana has a cool costume and not that retarded one that had 3-foot long parachute-y forearm sleeves

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I read through the newest issue, trying to decide if I wanted to pick it up or not. Tomasi's really impressed me on everything from The Light Brigade to GLC, and I love the cast, but as with the Annual, it just didn't grab me. Hopefully it'll pick up later and I can just snag the TPB.

I sort of wish Owlman's identity would have been a bigger deal, since it seems like one of those names/costumes that really has the potential to be an iconic kind of character, but I have to appreciate Tomasi bucking convention and revealing his identity in a pretty anti-climactic way.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad we didn't get another comic with a year of "Who's that under the mask???!?"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man that's kinda crazy, because over in Might Avengers, Jarvis is pulling a somewhat similar role to Alfred here.

Is Owlman a known person or a new character?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Owlman is
    Roy Raymond Jr., grandson of Roy Raymond, TV detective.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I originally thought a Television Detective was someone who solved crimes by watching tv, but the truth was nowhere near as campy as I thought.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I originally thought a Television Detective was someone who solved crimes by watching tv, but the truth was nowhere near as campy as I thought.

I've deduced that your wife was the one that stole the money because, you see, Rachel and Ross eventually get together in the end.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    I really like Tomasi's stuff so far, which isn't surprising because his GLC and Nightwing are (were) awesome.

I'm not a fan of the "you must leave your family for months on end" thing, though. That doesn't seem like something Batman (whose whole thing is that he misses his family) would do. The only person it really matters with is Black Lightning. I think it'd have been cool if Black Lightning turned Alfred down, but it's not a big deal because I like the character.

I'm also slightly disappointed that Owlman isn't a Batman-clone. I think I'd be more disappointed if he was, but the costume is so cool (well, the mask) that I wish he was more than just a pudgy smart guy

The "reboot" is also worth it because now Katana has a cool costume and not that retarded one that had 3-foot long parachute-y forearm sleeves

To be honest I was kind of hoping Lightning would turn him down after that. The dude's got two daughters, one a teen who seems to need some help with the powers she inherited from him, plus a wife. It strikes me as being very irresponsible of him to leave, especially considering he has no trouble being a hero without being a member of the Outsiders.

As for the others, yea, they either don't have a (living) family or don't have one worthy of readers knowing about, so the whole idea just seemed there to be a kick in the balls for Lightning.

Scooter on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i assume this means Lightning is leaving the JLA then

Rans on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why would BL leave JLA? Batman had dual membership forever.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Why would BL leave JLA? Batman had dual membership forever.

Because Batman (through Alfred) said they can have contact with absolutely no one outside of the Outsiders

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I'll start picking this up again. I tried to get the Annual but haven't been able to track down a copy.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks.

Looks fairly cool. I've always dug Metamorpho, I liked the episode of Brave and the Bold that had them in it, and I wondered who the fuck Geo-Force was when his DC Direct toy came out a few months ago. As for the creepy guy in the middle, I know nothing about him, but every time I've seen him, I thought it was a stupid looking design for a character. I also can never imagine Black Lightning without thinking of the "White Fish" line from Harvey Birdman. Damn that impeccable Phil Lamar.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Read the first issue, and I'm unimpressed. It's too much in the standard of "Let's build a team of superheroes" and not enough to make it different from every other team book DC publishes.

But it's the first issue. I'll give it to the first arc to see if it gets better.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is Creeper anything like his DCAU counterpart?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks.

Looks fairly cool. I've always dug Metamorpho, I liked the episode of Brave and the Bold that had them in it, and I wondered who the fuck Geo-Force was when his DC Direct toy came out a few months ago. As for the creepy guy in the middle, I know nothing about him, but every time I've seen him, I thought it was a stupid looking design for a character. I also can never imagine Black Lightning without thinking of the "White Fish" line from Harvey Birdman. Damn that impeccable Phil Lamar.

That's The Creeper. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeper_(comics)

He's... interesting...
    Is Creeper anything like his DCAU counterpart?

No - his origins are a bit different from the DCAU (which I think I like a little more).

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »

He's... interesting...

Yeah, this 'bestial' side to the Creeper isn't anything I remember. I thought he was just a few loaves short of a bakery.

You just know there's going to be a story where one of the team is going to be stuck inside a submarine/safe/falling space station with Creeper and they're just going to lose it.

KidDork on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »

He's... interesting...

Yeah, this 'bestial' side to the Creeper isn't anything I remember. I thought he was just a few loaves short of a bakery.

You just know there's going to be a story where one of the team is going to be stuck inside a submarine/safe/falling space station with Creeper and they're just going to lose it.

KidDork on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    My experience of... let me just spoiler it.

Owlman spoilers
    Roy Raymond Jr., as depicted in the Robin comic was a total hack. What turned him around, and how did he come to adopt the Owlman persona?

It is really bugging me, and I really want to know.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There is mention of Roy in Detective Comics #818 (Jun 2006), where Batman describes Roy as one of the few detectives he admires, but who "chooses to waste his talents on daytime television" and so is apparently still hosting his TV show

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Who wrote Robin during that time? For awhile there the book was so bad that I would disregard anything that happened in it.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Chuck Dixon

so it was awesome

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My experience of... let me just spoiler it.

Owlman spoilers
    Roy Raymond Jr., as depicted in the Robin comic was a total hack. What turned him around, and how did he come to adopt the Owlman persona?

It is really bugging me, and I really want to know.

Tomasi's kind of playing with that a bit. While he's perceived as kind of a loser by everybody, he nevertheless possesses legitimate skills, and can rise to the challenge when need be. More of a Booster Gold than a Superman.

Munch on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Chuck Dixon

so it was awesome
    Yeah I don't know what to make of that, then.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Tomasi's kind of playing with that a bit. While he's perceived as kind of a loser by everybody, he nevertheless possesses legitimate skills, and can rise to the challenge when need be. More of a Booster Gold than a Superman.

He's got potential now, and that's not something I ever really considered before. I also like the idea of an overweight superhero who isn't running around holding a submarine sandwich. Not everyone can become a great detective and a great martial artist and just be awesome at everything.

Owlman got smart at the expense of maybe not making the gym three times a week.

KidDork on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So far I am loving Owlman.
    The way he cuts himself off from social life was pretty awesome.
    Also I love that he is Nite Owl. There, I said it.

Tairu on
  • Options
    MosBenMosBen Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, clearly Owlman is Nite Owl. I don't even think that needs spoiler tags.

And doesn't Geo-Force have a country to run or something?

Finally, I've always loved The Creeper. I think it's mostly just that one of the first series I read was Eclipso: The Darkness Within and the followup ongoing.

MosBen on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of Chuck Dixon, I wonder where he was going with BatO before he quit.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Was Owlman's rant at work supposed to be nod towards Bill O'Reilly's meltdown, I wonder?

KidDork on
  • Options
    ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is the outsiders run by tomasi collected in trades yet? and if so is it worth reading if you are interested in the creeper?

ThePrimm on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ThePrimm wrote: »
    Is the outsiders run by tomasi collected in trades yet? and if so is it worth reading if you are interested in the creeper?
    Not yet. At least that I know of.

I've got every Outsiders collected that I've seen so far, and there aren't any from the latest Batman and the Outsiders or this new run.

Then again, I may be out of the loop.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The first Tomasi Outsiders trade is solicited for November.

Hensler on