As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

hdmi cable for ps3 question

sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
for a ps3, as long as an hdmi cable is 1.3, then i am good to go, right? if not, what else do i need to look for?

Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
PM me if you add any of my codes
sushiboy on

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    sushiboy wrote: »
    for a ps3, as long as an hdmi cable is 1.3, then i am good to go, right? if not, what else do i need to look for?

That's it. All HDMI cables (of the same version) should be equal since it is digital. So just find the cheapest HDMI cable you can find that is 1.3 and the length you want.

Cobell on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How does one know what version/specification a cable is? Would be handy to know.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Required link: www.monoprice.com

Slightly more expensive: http://www.bluejeanscable.com

It should say in the description. For example,
    * HDMI 1.3a (CTS 1.3b1) certified;
    * CM rated (higher rating than CL2);
    * Unique Patented Bonded Pair Construction;
    * This and Series-F2 are the only HDMI cable stock made in USA

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you don't buy one of THESE, ghosts and witches may degrade your signal.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Insanity wrote: »

Don't forget the power gremlins.

I'd tweak my boss sometimes by making fun of Monster, as he paid $250+ for Monster cables for his hi-fi system. He really researched every other big purchase, but just bent over when it came to the cables. The Power of Perception!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wow, monoprice has the same length 1.3 hdmi cable on sale today that i was looking for. only $1.95 (+ shipping) for a 6 foot cable with nothing but good reviews on em. i ordered two, just because they were so cheap, and with shipping my whole order was still under 10 bucks!

@liquidlogan: all i know is that it should say 1.3 (or 1.3a) in the description or on the packaging (if buying from a store). if not, dont buy it.

thanks for the info gang! 8-)

sushiboy on
    Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
    AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
    PM me if you add any of my codes
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    sushiboy wrote: »
    wow, monoprice has the same length 1.3 hdmi cable on sale today that i was looking for. only $1.95 (+ shipping) for a 6 foot cable with nothing but good reviews on em. i ordered two, just because they were so cheap, and with shipping my whole order was still under 10 bucks!

@liquidlogan: all i know is that it should say 1.3 (or 1.3a) in the description or on the packaging (if buying from a store). if not, dont buy it.

thanks for the info gang! 8-)

I think there are 1.3b and 1.3c now as well. From what I understand though, they're all 1.3 and interchangeable. The letters are used to distinguish manufacturing methods or some such thing.

Cobell on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a lie that the cheap ones are the same as expensive ones. Sure there's no point going for a £500 hdmi cable but I've had countless problems with the £5 one I have. It runs from my ps3 to my amp, and then one from there to the tv. It's REALLY iffy on input switching, sometimes it'll get colours wrong and display the image inversed. I have to swap sources away from the ps3 and back to it.

A more expensive (Only £15) cable sorted that problem out.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Omg... 75ft cable? Are they hooking shit up to a Jumbo screen at a fucking stadium or what?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

HOLY FUCK, seriously monster cables can suck a dick. My monoprice cable is probably the exact same.

donhonk on