As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am a BIG MAN, Yes I am, and I've got TWO Big Guns!

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll just eat about a half-teaspoon of sea-salt right out of the tin because I love the taste.
    Weaver wrote: »
    p.s. Yay my kidneys don't hurt anymore!

I'm sure they will again soon :P

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    mastman wrote: »
    a whole lotta 12 and 16 ounce curls

ate four meals over the last three days

back to the grindstone tomorrow. no more drinkin for a while either

I also did lots of this sorts of lifting this weekend-- but fuck it I ain't had much to drink for quite a few weeks

i feel like a fatass.

i think i may start doing more cardio in the shape of running or rowing machine more frequently on tues/thurs.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    celandine wrote: »
    So... after my first week of paying attention to what I eat, I've lost five pounds. And it's not all water; pants fit differently, my face looks different. It's gratifying, but it's a whole lot faster than I've heard is normal. Am I going to wreck my health if I keep this up? Or should I not worry about it?

don't worry about it. you always see the fastest results right when you start a new diet. and there probably is some water weight associated with it. one generally consistent characteristic of a healthy diet is a lower sodium intake.

keep up the good work.

the wook on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thank you. And I'm sorry if I come across as ignorant or over-excited; this is all kind of new for me, and I do appreciate your advice.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    celandine wrote: »
    So... after my first week of paying attention to what I eat, I've lost five pounds. And it's not all water; pants fit differently, my face looks different. It's gratifying, but it's a whole lot faster than I've heard is normal. Am I going to wreck my health if I keep this up? Or should I not worry about it?

Five pounds of fat is 20,000 calories. While you are likely improving your physical condition and I don't want to discourage you at all, it is likely at least partially water weight and daily fluctuation.

Water weight can also make a big difference to how lean your face looks.
    Yeah, it's generally accepted that you can only lose 2 pounds of fat a week. The rest is almost definitely water, if not all of it. Don't think too much of one week's results, losing weight is a long term thing.

It's not that you can't lose more weight than that, it's that you shouldn't

Tube on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to start my new push/pull routine today. Today is push and I hope that it doesn't over run because I have four compound exercises instead of my usual three to do.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's generally accepted that you can only lose 2 pounds of fat a week. The rest is almost definitely water, if not all of it. Don't think too much of one week's results, losing weight is a long term thing.

Yeah, that's why I said fat per week. You can lose more weight, but it's going to be water and muscle.

And celandine, don't worry about it, we're all learning here. I know I'm much better at dispensing advice and information than actually putting it into practice.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I need to go buy a new black belt and I'm down to my last notch in the brown belt I wear daily.

That's down 2-3 notches.

I am pleased.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2009

Yeah, that's why I said fat per week. You can lose more weight, but it's going to be water and muscle.

you can lose more fat too, it's just a bad idea.

Tube on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am going to the gym right now. Lifting during vacations is one of the most relaxing things, not having to worry about "being done with this so I can go to work/school/home to sleep" is great

hectorse on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I need to go buy a new black belt and I'm down to my last notch in the brown belt I wear daily.

That's down 2-3 notches.

I am pleased.

This is how i'm noting my progress, as opposed to my weight. I can't seem to lose much weight, but I'm too thin for my old belt and i can wear a 38 belt on the last notch. I'll need to buy a new brown belt or punch another closer notch as well. So that's good!!!

I lifted saturday, played kickball in the afternoon, and then played football sunday as well. I am SORE....

@hectorse - I know what you mean, i love going to gym on the weekends, there is no sense of urgency.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That's down 2-3 notches.

I am pleased.

This is how i'm noting my progress, as opposed to my weight. I can't seem to lose much weight, but I'm too thin for my old belt and i can wear a 38 belt on the last notch. I'll need to buy a new brown belt or punch another closer notch as well. So that's good!!!

I lifted saturday, played kickball in the afternoon, and then played football sunday as well. I am SORE....

@hectorse - I know what you mean, i love going to gym on the weekends, there is no sense of urgency.

Bingo.

I don't have a scale and don't really care to. I'm measuring progress in how fast I can cover three miles, how far I can row, how much I can lift and do I need new clothes.

Hi5, my fellow doctor. Keep kicking ass.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That's down 2-3 notches.

I am pleased.

Bingo.

I don't have a scale and don't really care to. I'm measuring progress in how fast I can cover three miles, how far I can row, how much I can lift and do I need new clothes.

Hi5, my fellow doctor. Keep kicking ass.

you too man. and also take names.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    man
    i went and got a heavy bag and went to install the mounting kit into what i thought was a big beam in my garage and turns out it's plaster, i'm guessing a framed beam maybe

now i got to go buy a stand
    probably for the best to so i can move it around as i want, but still

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish I had a garage so I could set up a home gym and actually use my heavy bag stand. Alas.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My new routine went okay. It was strange doing bench and squats on the same day. I have to rethink it after the next session because it was all a bit too much for my triceps and I had to cut dips short at the end. Also it went on too long.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    What was your routine like before?
    You can try eliminating bench completely for say 3 months, just focus on dips(weighted?) and be sure to keep a pressing movement in your routine.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I ran out of protein on Friday. My new protein should be coming pretty soon. But for today, I am powderless. What's the best I can without my protein after my lifting today? I was going to immediately eat two cans of tuna afterwards.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    peanut butter sandwich and a case of DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did you guys see that article on T-Nation today about an "explosive" workout?

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=2928242

I don't mean to keep posting links but I read stuff on the Internet all day and I can only talk to myself so much. Anyway, Could any of you guys actually finish that routine? I read it and my first thought was bah, I could totally do that. Then I read it again and watched the vids and thought wow, I would get severely fucked up trying to finish that.

I think I might give it a whirl on Friday.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Starfuck wrote: »
    What was your routine like before?
    You can try eliminating bench completely for say 3 months, just focus on dips(weighted?) and be sure to keep a pressing movement in your routine.

I had considered eliminating one of my presses but I'm not sure how vital it is that I do both. I do bench press and incline dumbbell press at the moment (and shoulder press). It'd be really helpful only doing one but I don't whether it's wise to do that.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gym today! Finally stopped coughing. Squat's going to be fun.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I don't mean to keep posting links but I read stuff on the Internet all day and I can only talk to myself so much. Anyway, Could any of you guys actually finish that routine? I read it and my first thought was bah, I could totally do that. Then I read it again and watched the vids and thought wow, I would get severely fucked up trying to finish that.

That was interesting. Tell us how it goes.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MikeRyu wrote: »

Anyone can complete that, it's just a matter of choosing the proper weight. Right now I can't switch from 15-16 overall reps in one exercise to 60 reps with the same weight, it won't work.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Burpees but attaching dumbbells to your hands-- never thought of it but it sounds deliciously intense and difficult.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »

Anyone can complete that, it's just a matter of choosing the proper weight. Right now I can't switch from 15-16 overall reps in one exercise to 60 reps with the same weight, it won't work.

I think the reason it looks crazy to me is that it's all of that stuff in a row, without much time seperating them. Plus, I've never tried those burpee things and they look awesome.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »

I think the reason it looks crazy to me is that it's all of that stuff in a row, without much time seperating them. Plus, I've never tried those burpee things and they look awesome.

I'm not doing a crazy routine like that, but at the moment I'm focusing on lifting explosively with most of my compound lifts and shortening my rest time in between.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    burpees are great but they fucking suck

did 185 today on incline bench with relative ease, i was happy about that

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hooray. Bench press hi5 Legend. I got 6 reps at 225 for flat bench press. I moved onto incline afterwards but I was too tired to up the weight much. I barely got in 3 reps at 185.

Also, my Chucks smell so bad. I haven't had them long, and the shoes I've had for a year don't even smell half as bad.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    flat bench was taken, i decided to start out on incline, then i went to flat bench and did two sets of 185, x5 and x8 for the end.

incline bench has always been a weak point of mine, and since spring break i have worked out chest more than i did from january to mid march, i think.

6 x 225 is nice shit, and following up incline is hard as fuck. i think i'd prefer starting with incline and then moving to flat, if i was going to put up big weight. i'm still acting a pussy about going over 205 for some reason.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I had a huge mental barrier about going about 185 for flat benching, and I still got one for incline. I think next time I'll focus more on incline benching than decline or flat.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got a lecture from the gym owner this morning about my squats. I'm pretty sure she's just butthurt because they spent a ton of money on a shiney new leg press machine (and it is a nice leg press machine) but we prefer to spend time with the power rack instead. So, I had to endure a big talk about how squats are bad for my knees and generally just an unsafe exercise. Fun times.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tell your gym owner that you'll take the power rack to your house to save everybody's knees and keep them safe.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Next time just pick up your gym owner and start squatting him. Shout "Leg press this!!! Leg press this!!!"

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I love how nobody who runs my gym gives half a shit what anyone does in the weightroom. It's a mess, they never clean it up but I never get lectured.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm still incredibly sore from yesterday I think I'll take the day off today

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah for some reason I am still sore from squats/GMs/RDLs on Friday.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CanuckCaptain Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    benched my weight for the first time in my life this week
    yeeeeeeah

Captain Canuck on
    shadeodare_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I got a lecture from the gym owner this morning about my squats. I'm pretty sure she's just butthurt because they spent a ton of money on a shiney new leg press machine (and it is a nice leg press machine) but we prefer to spend time with the power rack instead. So, I had to endure a big talk about how squats are bad for my knees and generally just an unsafe exercise. Fun times.

I hate those people. I hate them so much. There's so much evidence that deep squats are beneficial and safe.

I saw the girl who weighed at around 110 pounds and did 140 for bench press today. She moved up to benching 155. Just a little old normal looking girl at 5'4" get rough and tough under the bench bar. She's really nice but when she's in the weight room she turns into a pit bull. She's also really cute.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    Captain CanuckCaptain Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    but four months in casts has ruined every muscle in my leg so basic walking is trouble
    noooooooo

Captain Canuck on
    shadeodare_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.