As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Perfect World International] Cat girls never had it so good.

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
This op was shamelessly ripped off from Aldo... Updated with new information..

Perfect World International
PWbanner.jpg
^^^^^^^^click to download client^^^^^^^^

Perfect World is a free MMORPG from China. It comes in two English flavors.

Perfect World International is the "proper" English version that you should be using. If at all possible make sure you have the international client. (Currently version 80)

Perfect World Malaysian-English (Also known as "Perfect World MY-EN") is the English Malaysain version. Avoid this one like the plague, as the "translation" is questionableand the client/servers are not compatible with the International version.

So why is it fun?
For a number of reasons:
  1. Beautiful graphics that are shiny
    Oh yeah? yeah!: Wallpapers and screenshotsr

So it's free, huh? What's the catch?
    You can play all the way to endgame without spending a cent. However, you can upgrade your client. (Bigger inventory, more pets), buy mounts, and buy clothes for your avatar using real-world cash. That's how they make their money. If you want to see a catalog of stuff you can buy. You can see it here
  2. Loads of tweaking you say?
    Not only do you get to decide on how your character looks, but you will also have to make some painful decisions on how you want to develop your character. Some classes a gender-specific. There are no female Barbarians nor are there male Venomancers (Summoners). You will have to decide how to allocate your points among vitality/strength/magic/dexterity and you will have to decide what skills you want to develop as you won't be getting enough points to get more than a select few spells to the highest level. There's also a lot of options on how you want to enchant your armour, but that's more for endgame.
  3. Attainable goals
    You get new skills or better versions of skills about every level. New armour becomes available, you can explore the world a bit further without having to fear for your life and you can earn flying swords, ridable ice bears and a long list of other things you always wanted. You can gain a lot of exp through doing quests and grinding goes (compared to games like Ragnarok and WoW) fast so the next level and/or goal is never far away.
  4. Completely over the top armour, mounts and spells
    Oh yeah? Yeah! example of the nonsense you run into. Strong spells make your screen shake and are accompanied by bright flashes of light.
  5. Quests that go beyond the usual FedEx and grind quests
    There are a few quests that require you to top a building, grab a chest and head back to the quest giver within a few minutes. And there's quite a few quests that you can finish if you bother to save up the stuff you find. Of course, like any other MMO, most quests are about killing a dozen enemies and looting an item off their corpse. Perfect World does what other games refuse to: every mob you kill has the quest item you need.
  6. Meaningful PvP combat
    Factions can own territory, which earns them a lot of $. This was the map of the Malaysian version from some months ago:
    PWworldmap.jpg
    The areas with the icon of a man and an arrow next to it are contested, the big arrows in the north east show that the purple guild (a big Russian one) is taking over. As a small time player this does not concern you, joining in the PvP is an option you have. On the non-PVP servers, characters over lvl 30 can take land during a scheduled war. Also you can dual at any of the big cities.

7. Huge world without any invisible walls
    See that mountain over there? Jump on your magical sword and fly to the top. Oh? You can't fly yet? No problem, just climb it. Nothing and no one is going to stop you.
  8. Unique characters
    The character creator puts Oblivion to shame. Oh yeah? Yeah! link to a Youtube clip of the Chinese version People have recreated Mr. T with this.
  9. Gravity is your bitch
    You can double-jump to all the weirdest places. Some quests even evolve around jumping to these weird places. And there's no fall damage, so you're completely free to try and take that impossible leap to the next rooftop.

What Perfect world offers is a very smooth and complete MMORPG experience that can be compared to contemporary Pay to Play MMOs. The game recently has a new international version with perfect English, updated skills and a better community manager. The Chinese version also had housing and some other functions in it, maybe they're going to do put those in the international version as well, if the developers are confident that it looks and feels good enough. All in all I am having a lot of fun.

Fun: the reason why we play games. From level one to where I am now I have been amazed by the beautiful graphics and over-the-top combat. Every character has, at least, a unique face, making something as mundane as waiting around in the city a fun thing to do. You can purchase fashion items and colour them at special shops if you really want to get a unique look. Mobs look insane and highly detailed, when you rip through them you feel like a bad ass.

If you are not convinced by the above, let me tell you this little factoid:

You can ride a huge polar bear! And not just that, you can pick someone up to sit behind you. "Hey baby, wanna take a ride on my polar bear?" becomes a viable pick up line! What more do you want out of a game?

Extra information:

How do I sign up?
You sign up here to get an account. Activation is intimidate. To buy Zen, you set up a billing plan here (Setting up billing is not required to play.)

I'm not living in the US, can I play the "international" version as well?
Unfortunately people living in a country with a localized version of Perfect world will have to play that version of the game, according to a Q/A thread on the subject: "this includes Malaysia, Philippines, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and others." Xarfox stated that European IPs will not be banned. See this list for all the different localized versions of the game.

System requirements, what is recommended:

Operating System: Windows ME/2000/XP/Vista
CPU: Pentium 4 Processor 2.4Ghz
Memory: 1Gb or higher
Graphic Display: Geforce4 3D Accelerator, DirectX–9.0c
Sound Card: Support DirecX8.1 or Higher
Hard Disk Space: 2.5G disk space
Internet Connection: Broadband/ADSL/Cable

Races/classes
Blatantly copied from Wikipedia:

Human
The race which compares to our own species. Humans here use swords for fighting and have skills to improve land-based movement.

Blademaster
Courageous, righteous, and resolute—these are the defining traits of a Blademaster. These damage-dealers come from a long line of seasoned warriors, and have been hardened by years of combat training. Specializing in melee combat, Blademasters can also master and harness their inner energy, called Chi, in order to channel the most devastating attacks.
Type: Melee, Tank
Available Weapons: Dual Sword, Dual Blade, Blade, Sword, Scythe, Spear, Club, Poleaxe, Sledgehammer, Dual Handaxes, Dual Hammer, Iron Fist, Sharp Edge
Comments: High Physical Defense, Low Magical Defense
Wizard
Trained in arcane knowledge, Wizards have learned that heavy armor is only needed when the enemy is allowed to move in close. Thus, they have developed an array of long-ranged and high-powered magical attacks utilizing the elements of nature. As masters of the conjuring arts, Wizards are vulnerable while casting, but once the casting is complete, they deal great damage to enemies.
Type: Ranged Magic Damage
Available Weapons: Wand, Magic Sword, Pataka, Jewel Quoit
Comments: Highest Skill Damage, Slow Casting Time

Wing Elf
This Elf-like race has wings on their back, which are used for flight and give them further abilities with air-based movement.

Archer
As guardians of the Winged Elves, Archers are both strong and agile. Like all members of their race, Archers are gifted with the ability to fly, and thus make formidable long-range fighters. The heightened reflexes of the Archer provide the steady aim required to vanquish enemies from afar. With an unwavering sense of pride and duty, Archers can learn to shoot arrows both elemental and poisonous in nature.
Type: Ranged Physical Damage
Available Weapons: Bow, Crossbow, Slingshot
Comments: High Critical Percentage, Low Physical Defense

Cleric
As the primary healers of Perfect World, Clerics are masters of supportive and recovery spells, which makes them an invaluable addition to any group of adventurers. In addition, Clerics specialize in using Metal element attacks, and can curse their enemies to reduce their defense, speed, or attack damage. Clerics are a good match for close-combat companions, since their long-range magical prowess complements the short range of melee fighters.
Type: Hybrid, Primary Healer
Available Weapons: Sword, Staff, Wand, Quoit
Comments: Heal, Buff and Revive Skills, Party Based

Beast
The Beast classes are demi-humans which half resemble another creature, and they have the ability to fully become this other creature with the use of a skill. Beasts ride on the backs of flying creatures for flight and have special skills which let them swim better than others.

Barbarian
Barbarians have evolved from tigers, lions, and other bestial hunters. Fortified for melee combat, the Untamed Barbarian is a natural-born warrior on the battlefield, and is most comfortable taking hits and returning the punishment. These fighters also have plenty of powerful spells at their disposal and can shapeshift into tiger form.
Type: Melee, Tank
Available Weapons: Dual Sword, Dual Blade, Blade, Sword, Scythe, Spear, Club, Poleaxe, Sledgehammer, Dual Handaxes, Dual Hammer, Iron Fist, Sharp Edge
Comments: Highest Physical Defense, Low Damage

Venomancer
Evolved from an assortment of serpents, foxes, and other small creatures, Venomancers are cute, seductive, and deadly. Do not be misled by the winning smile and bushy tail—these foxy-ladies specialize in poisonous concoctions and should be considered very deadly. Venomancers have the ability to charm animals and tame them as pets, and, similar to the Barbarian, can take the form of a fox.
Type: Ranged Magic Damage, Pet Tamer
Available Weapons: Sword, Staff, Wand, Quoit
Comments: Excellent Solo Class, Low Hit Point

Cash shop shenanigans? The game has 3 currencies: "coin" is the in-game currency, "gold" is special currency used to buy stuff from the cash shop or some special functions from other NPCs (ex: marriage) and "Zen" which you can buy with RL money (1$=100zen). You can exchange your Zen for Gold through the game, but you can also get Gold by buying it with Coin from other people through the Auction House. What this means is that all functions of the game are available for free, RL money will just make everything a bit easier and faster.

What is the UI like? I made this to clarify some of the elements
pwuielementstd6.jpg
Spoilered for being huge.

Fansites:
www.1perfectworld.com

Who is playing?
Currently playing on Lost City (PvP server)
Aldo = AliBaba
Nida = McKenzie

Currently playing on Heaven's Tears (Carebear server)
halkun = Nyanchan (lvl 25 Venomancer) [CTS Leader]
Pakoi = Yasna (lvl 19 Blademaster)
Kayne Red Robe = Eudes (lvl 19 Cleric)
Trevor Goodchild = Masteen (lvl 10 Wizard)

Factions?
There is a PA faction on Heaven's tear! It's called "CTS" and yours truly is the leader. Come join up! Send me or Eudes a whisper when I'm on and we'll let you join.

halkun on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm up for corrections if needed.

halkun on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Now downloading client, I'm debating rolling something different from my cleric, given that they are so party centered. But I love playing healer types.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok, I just made it to Level 20, which means I can start my own faction now. Here's my character... Linked for huge...

Her Close up
    More of what she is wearing.
    Fighting in Heels!

I'm amazed it plays as well as it does on a GeForce 6200 AGP.

I know she isn't wearing much.. She has a pet that tanks so I can get by with as little "armor" as I can. It's paper thin, so the object is not to let anything get close enough to hit her. . .

I still could use some friends to play along.

Anyone up for a faction? I can offer quest help (Which is the best way to level... Fetch or grind, take your pick!)

halkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Right, I am Eudes, a cleric on Heaven's Tears, see you around maybe.

Edit: Eudes is very clearly a pirate, arr.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yay! my first quest item. (The glowy stick thing)

Here I am chatting it up with my faction leader and teammates after the run. The buff (My circle of green light) is my own spell I gained.

convo.jpg

halkun on
  • Options
    PkoiPkoi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm Yasna, a blademaster on Heaven's Tear. This is making me want to play WoW again.

Pkoi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So does the add friend feature only work when the person you are trying to add is online or right next to you or something? If it's only when the other person is online you guys must play at completely different time frames then me.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ran into Pkoi/Yasna a bit earlier today, it is infinitely easier to kill stuff in a party, even as a duo.

Looking at the official forums, it appears that Blademasters get a lot more choices than Clerics, what with the being able to specialize in different weapon groups and all, but as a basic build, they suggest roughly 5-6 strength, 2-3 dexterity and the rest vitality every two levels. Magic is apparently a no-no, much like dex is for my cleric. Hope that helps a little.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to take screenshots of Yasna and Eudes, oh well, next time.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hey Kayne/Eudes. Yeah, killing stuff was much easier with you than solo.

Heh, I looked at a Blademaster guide, looks like I've already screwed up on a few things. Oh well. I'm sure there are ways to respec or whatever when the time comes.

Pkoi on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm on as a newly created Wizard named Masteen. Generally online late at night, west coast.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Right, as a side note, after you have "Embraced" someone, a window pops up in the middle of your screen with two options. The "Embrace" option on this box is actually more of a snog, doing this is not necessary to carry someone places. It is in fact, kind of rude, sorry Pkoi.

If you are a Wing Elf, it is in fact, required to lord your flying ability over the lesser races as much as possible though.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want to be able to fly D: Curse my wingless human shoulders.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You can buy a giant flying sword and surf around on it....

I'm downloading it now.

North on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No worries, Kayne. I was just a little startled by seeing kissing and hearts popping up, and there isn't a "don't get fresh with me" emote.

By the way folks, seems like you can't add friends unless they're online at the time, so we all should meet up at some point.

Pkoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The dang box pops up in the center of the screen, so I couldn't see what was going on, I thought it was asking for confirmation that I wanted to pick you up, I swear.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry I kept rejecting friend requests. I didn't realize it was PAres aking me to join up... I made a faction now... Group picture....

cts.jpg

Sorry Masteen, I couldn't fit you in the picture...

==EDIT==

Wow the girls don't wear a lot of clothes in this game...

halkun on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I played this game... well I don't really know how long ago it was, but it was back in the early days when Aldo was trying to drum up interest. I don't remember it being an 'international' version, as the Engrish was pretty bad and the server was mostly Asians. Has it been split off now? Are there really people from all over?

It's pretty tempting to take another peek if the grammar and such has been cleaned up and I do notice that there are some new classes which didn't exist when I played. I do wonder if the catgirls are still the dominant class in the game? Back when I played they were uber powerful and pretty much overshadowed just about any other classes.

For those thinking about trying it out, I really can't recommend it highly enough. It's good even for a pay-to-play game; as a free-to-play it's pretty much a no-brainer. The graphics are amazing as anyone can see by the screen shots... I think the only problem I had with it was that the conrols felt a bit stiff, though I obviously can't say if that's still the case.

I guess the other problem I had was that the game had all these ridiculous smiley emotes and that Asian players seem to love to use many of them at a time, repeatedly, in their trade macros. Though that's pretty minor I guess. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The smileys are pretty extreme, They need to be smaller and match the font size. They would be configurable, but they seem to be server-side as you can *buy* the basted things.

halkun on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I assume you still pretty much need to rely on pots to heal up after battle at higher levels? I loved the game, but can't stand MMOs that force you to choose between downtime or shelling out cash (and as a tank with fuck-all damage it would have been a lot of cash).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    A few more screencaps:
    factionphoto1mr8.jpg
    factionphoto2hj6.jpg

As far as pots go, I find that after most fights I need to drop a single heal on myself, so I assume if one were a non-cleric class you would probably want a heal pot or two. Pots drop pretty frequently though, and it might just be me, but I've always had way more money than I need (maybe because I don't buy pots). As it stands, even the downtime for regenning my massive mana pool isn't that bad, as you seem to recover based on a % of your max while resting, not at a set rate.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, at ~20 my beast-whatnot definitely needed several minutes to regain his health without pots. And it would have taken multiple to fully heal him, as he was a tank class with a huge health pool.

Glal on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There are some pretty nice things for health regen that alchemy can make, if you have the patience to farm the plants.

Seg on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, even the level 1 Life Powder is great stuff. I don't think I've used more than a couple health potions since I started making those for myself.

Also I started playing this last week, but didn't see this thread. I can't remember which carebear server I rolled on (I'm at work), but I hope it was the one with the rest of you.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Well, at ~20 my beast-whatnot definitely needed several minutes to regain his health without pots. And it would have taken multiple to fully heal him, as he was a tank class with a huge health pool.

Hmm. Well, like I said, I play a cleric, so I don't have much experience with pots. I worry about dying in combat and running out of mana, if I'm not in combat I can heal myself to full with two casts.
    Edit: Which really, would also alleviate your issues. After level 20 all the races should share similar quests, it can't be that hard to find a cleric who is despairing at the thought of solo-ing high level monsters.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry about going linkdead there, I bet I wasn't present for those screenshots. Time Warner decided to crap out on me there.

I hardly ever use potions, as I'm patient enough to just wait for the regen. I find I'm normally waiting on my mana to regen more than anything, and when I'm feeling particularly impatient the mana pots restore quite a bit of my meter.

Pkoi on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man that fansite in the OP is embarrassingly lacking in information. All the guides section shows is a list of 'recent' ones but no way to see others, if there are even any others.

Edit: Forums are better though, still seems like they abandoned the website itself.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can someone crank the graphics ALL THE WAY DOWN and take a screenshot so I can see what I'll be dealing with when the client downloads?

KKprofit on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    KKprofit wrote: »
    Can someone crank the graphics ALL THE WAY DOWN and take a screenshot so I can see what I'll be dealing with when the client downloads?
    I don't have time to play tonight, but here's where I was hanging around when I logged off. The first pic is 800x600, everything minimum. The second is 1024x768, everything maxed.
    pw-shitmode.png
    pw-unshitmode.png

JHunz on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Here are my screenshot comparisons... They don't show much in the way of landscape, but here you go. Keep in mind you can turn the bloom off.

Off...
    1off.jpg

On
    1onr.jpg

Here's another

Off
    2off.jpg

On
    2onr.jpg

halkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's awesome guys, I appreciate it.

KKprofit on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    In as Anviroid (lvl1 so far..) Archer on heavens tears.

Edit: Level 5

KKprofit on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll be around as Wolfico currently a Level 9 Barbarian. You guys will need a tank.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Alright, I tossed Anviroid and Wolfico's names into the Faction Logo, or whatever. Everyone in the faction should be able to invite people, so if you guys would just check and see if they are online when you log in that would be great.

(Thanks for the hat Yasna, it is freakin' sweet).

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Eudes, no problem, I figured you'd make better use of it than I would.

Also, I went through fb19, and got a mirage sword mold which I gather is for a magic sword. The guys that ran it kept congratulating me on getting a mold, so I figure it's good. Should I look to sell it or does anyone need it?
    One more thing, soloing is getting me killed. A lot. Folks, you want to help Yasna halt her experience hemorrhage, right?

Pkoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Actually, I'd prefer it if you continued to hemorrhage for another two levels or so, but I don't want to solo either (with my no defense and tiny health pool), so I guess you luck out.

For the new folks, if you send me a pm here before you login to PW, I will log in and invite you to the faction if I can.

Edit: From what I can learn of molds, I would bank that one until we can figure out if anyone is ever going to want the item. It's not like in game money is hard to come by anyways.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So I'll be online tomorrow for a while with my wife, I'll try to catch one of you on and join the faction.
    I'm Jayehunz, a level 22 Blademaster.
    She (illirica on the forum, though she never posts) is Kaedriel, a level 20 Archer.

If I'm playing solo I'll probably be on my other character so I don't outlevel her. That one is TwilightMist, a Venomaster (currently level 10).

JHunz on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Right, I think most of us are over level 19 at this point, we should try and all get online at the same time for once and see if we can make it through those level 19 dungeon quests people have. There are, of course, plenty of high level people who are willing to do them for us, but I think it would be more worthwhile if we tried it as a faction. Plus, glowing weapons for everyone.

When are people available for a combined play session in the next week or so?

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Monday and Thursday evenings are out for us, but other than that we're pretty much good for evenings/weekends. Need to wrap up by 11:30 CST latest if it's a work night, though.

JHunz on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I started a Wizard on Heaven's Tears called "Torokek" Got to Level 12, seems pretty fun, but slightly bland in places.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This looks pretty cool, I'll download and join when I get hom from work.

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo