As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can an Ending Ruin/Save an Entire Game?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The ending to Red Faction was entirely appropriate. What else would happen?
    Just... kill yourself because your battle is over?

No. You won. And now you're free. You fought for this, earned it. Now enjoy it and be normal.

And as for Legacy of Kain.
    The evil ending was written by an angsty 13-year-old or some shit.

"I'm angry at the world, and I'm never changing! Because I'm a stereotypical, static badass, and my mother made me go to bed without supper.

Or

Some actual fucking character development, and Kain has gone through a lot of shit since his fall.

Did you play the rest of the series? Legacy of kain: Defiance wraps things up very nicely.

I typically dislike vampire stuff, but the LoK series is easily one of my all time favorites.

Uh, what? Didn't it end on a huge cliffhanger? Again?

Renzo on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

No. You won. And now you're free. You fought for this, earned it. Now enjoy it and be normal.

"I'm angry at the world, and I'm never changing! Because I'm a stereotypical, static badass, and my mother made me go to bed without supper.

Or

Some actual fucking character development, and Kain has gone through a lot of shit since his fall.

Did you play the rest of the series? Legacy of kain: Defiance wraps things up very nicely.

I typically dislike vampire stuff, but the LoK series is easily one of my all time favorites.

Uh, what? Didn't it end on a huge cliffhanger? Again?
    Not really.

MAJOR MAJOR FUCKING SPOILER - THIS IS A GREAT SERIES THAT YOU SHOULD PLAY INSTEAD OF READ THIS SPOILER
    Moebiüs the Time-Streamer was killed by Raziel, and the Elder God specifically said he has no reason to bring him back, so that's wrapped up. Raziel finally died to become the Soul Reaver, ensuring that his cycle of life/death/reaverhood would continue through time indefinitely, removing the one free agent against fate. However, as he had purified himself throughout the game, when he died he was able to remove Kain's corrupted state, restoring him as the pure Scion of Balance he was supposed to have been from the start of the series. Kain defeats the Elder God and sends him into hiding, but doesn't kill him. I suppose that's the only "cliffhanger", but it's a fine finale to the series as Kain goes out to fulfill his original destiny as the Scion.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, what he said. It's been a while since I played it, but I was so impressed with that game's story when I played it (not to mention the TK aspect of the game play was fun as hell). There were admittedly a lot of twists, but so many things that left me scratching my head from the previous games were answered, and it felt like a legit ending.

It's not often that I play a game, particularly an action game, with such a complicated story.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, what he said. It's been a while since I played it, but I was so impressed with that game's story when I played it (not to mention the TK aspect of the game play was fun as hell). There were admittedly a lot of twists, but so many things that left me scratching my head from the previous games were answered, and it felt like a legit ending.

It's not often that I play a game, particularly an action game, with such a complicated story.

I always felt that they rode the line between action and adventure really well. It's not that farfetched to consider them adventure games at all.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ugh, I never even beat God of War. That whole last boss fight was so stupid. It really turned me off of the game, and the rest of the series.

It was a horrible, horrible boss fight. Complete garbage.

But I thought the rest of the game was so good. One of the finest action games I've ever played, beating out the DMC series (sorry, fellas).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Legacy of Kain series is the best series in the gaming world. The first Soul Reaver game was mind-blowing, the way it warped everything in real-time. Shit was hot!

I'm gonna have to purchase all the fucking games again, thanks assholes! D:
    <3

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll just go ahead and add to the Fallout 3 bitching.

I wanted to paddle somebody at Bethesda with a rolled-up newspaper for piddling all over my game.

Honestly, you know how I'd do a Fallout ending?

In other words, you want a post apocalyptic elder scrolls game.
    I'd rather it be an ES game too
    RIP trokia :x

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LoK: Defiance is the one game that is not backward compatible on the Xbox 360 that I still wish was. It's really too good a series to be spread among a bunch of different consoles like it is. Makes it too hard to play through the whole series. They really should release a compilation of all the games for the modern consoles. Maybe while they're at it, redo Soul Reaver 1 with Soul Reaver 2 level graphics, so I can actually see in the game.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    LoK: Defiance is the one game that is not backward compatible on the Xbox 360 that I still wish was. It's really too good a series to be spread among a bunch of different consoles like it is. Makes it too hard to play through the whole series. They really should release a compilation of all the games for the modern consoles. Maybe while they're at it, redo Soul Reaver 1 with Soul Reaver 2 level graphics, so I can actually see in the game.

Its a good thing I recently picked up a PS2 8-)
    All three games on one console.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    Recent ones - Portal

:3

desc on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid 4 hit the ball out of the ballpark, and in a bad way too. Kojima should have just (real spoilers)
    had Solid Snake kill himself
    . It would have been a fitting end to MGS.

The best ending to MGS4 would still include
    Snake killing himself,
    but for the ultimate conclusion, I think they should have done what MGS3 did, and
    force you to be the one to pull the trigger.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Or

I guess we agree to disagree then. Because I thought the Red Faction ending was just silly. All that work and then....where's the payoff? The climax? It just didn't feel "finished" to me.

And the LoK ending.....man, angsty?
    He was tired of being manipulated and played the entire time. He could have sacrificed himself to save the world (a typical good ending) or cover the world in smokestacks to block out the sun so vampires could rule the world. Granted, I think most vampire stories are ridiculous, but I thought that was fantastic.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »

I have Soul Reaver 1 for the Playstation, Soul Reaver 2 on PC, and Blood Omen 2 (which is out of continuity) and Defiance for the original Xbox. I rented Blood Omen 1 for the PS back in the day and could barely play it because of all the loading. Never did get very far as it was only a rental. Really I just want Soul Reaver 1 remade so I can play it. I hate to be a graphics whore, but I played SR2 first on my PC, so going back to the 1st generation 3d graphics of the first Soul Reaver really hurt my eyes.

Anyways to get this back on topic a bit, games with good endings (besides Defiance) I have to echo those who've mentioned Shenmue II. From the last part on top of that building, to the whole walk through the wilderness with Shenhua. Really made me want to play the next chapter, which sadly will probably never be made.

Another memorable ending that pops into mind is the last mission and ending to Freespace 2.
    Having to rush to the jump point before the Sathanas fleet destroys the sun of that star system, wiping out every ship in the solar system. Was truly an epic ending.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. The end of the game ruined not only everything that came before that point, but invalidated the entire series.
    I disagree with you. I loved the ending of SO3. I don't feel like it invalidated anything
    but instead since the final boss actually succeeding in terminating the game and the universe continued to exist, it just showed that despite having originated as an MMO, it had developed to a point where it was able to exist on its own. Their lives weren't just computer programming but instead this version of humanity had evolved beyond those beginnings into something much greater.

Except that doesn't make any goddamn sense. It might be an interesting idea, but it doesn't make any fucking sense whatsoever.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Something that puts all the skills and abilities you've been gaining to the ultimate test.
    GOW I thought had a great boss fight in the end, I don't see how someone felt that it was dumb.

There you go. It was dumb because it felt like a whole different character.

Wasn't that the point? Kratos essentially (spoilered for ruin)
    becomes a god on par with Ares. I just saw it as him not being used to becoming so big and powerful all of a sudden and having to fight this big bearded fellow.

I think I might be a little too forgiving. :|

I probably would have been more ok with it if I had actually been able to beat the game, instead of spending at least an hour losing over and over.

So it's only horrible because you couldn't beat it? How's that fair? The game isn't that hard....
    Plus, it only REALLY changes when they make you use the giant sword, and even then it's not that bad. Not enough to claim I'll never play GOW again at least. For the first half of the fight you still play the same way. They even force you to take a break fighting Aries and fight hundreds of clones of yourself if I'm not mistaken.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Best depressing ending is Conker's Bad Fur Day.

It would have been even better (worse?) if they stuck with what they had originally planned:
    Conker walks up to a mirror in the bar while sobbing, puts a gun to his head, screen fades to black...BANG!

Even more depressing, yet appropriate.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    desc wrote: »
    Marikir wrote: »
    Recent ones - Portal

:3

This was a triumph.
    I'm not even joking, huge success.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Someone already mentioned it, but Gaberial Knight 3's ending was god awful. Partially because both the endgame and ending of the first two were so satisfying that you expected it in the third one. The third acts of GK1 and 2 were pitch perfect, elevating the intensity of the entire story, GK3's story lacked any sense of escalation.

Also while Fallout 3 ending has been mentioned several times no one has mentioned the worst part about it. Bethseda, before Fallout 3's release, talked it up like it was going to be the best thing ever. I am at work so I can't look up the countless joystiq and kotaku enteries on 'OMG 1 billion endings', but talk about writing a check your ass couldn't cash.

On a slightly more positive note, Silent Hill 2's ending elevated the game to the next level.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I would pay cashmoney if someone compiled all the LoK games (including the Blood omen games) onto one PS3 or 360 disk upscaled to HD.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Something that puts all the skills and abilities you've been gaining to the ultimate test.
    GOW I thought had a great boss fight in the end, I don't see how someone felt that it was dumb.

There you go. It was dumb because it felt like a whole different character.

Wasn't that the point? Kratos essentially (spoilered for ruin)
    becomes a god on par with Ares. I just saw it as him not being used to becoming so big and powerful all of a sudden and having to fight this big bearded fellow.

I think I might be a little too forgiving. :|

I probably would have been more ok with it if I had actually been able to beat the game, instead of spending at least an hour losing over and over.

So it's only horrible because you couldn't beat it? How's that fair? The game isn't that hard....
    Plus, it only REALLY changes when they make you use the giant sword, and even then it's not that bad. Not enough to claim I'll never play GOW again at least. For the first half of the fight you still play the same way. They even force you to take a break fighting Aries and fight hundreds of clones of yourself if I'm not mistaken.

No, being stupidly hard was just another nail in the coffin, and what ensured I wouldn't even finish it. The fact that it's a massive change from the rest of the game, making all of your grinding, practice, and learning pointless, is what made it bad.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Best depressing ending is Conker's Bad Fur Day.

It would have been even better (worse?) if they stuck with what they had originally planned:
    Conker walks up to a mirror in the bar while sobbing, puts a gun to his head, screen fades to black...BANG!

Even more depressing, yet appropriate.

It's true what they say. The grass is always greener. And you don't really know what it is you have. Until it's gone.

Gone.

Gone.

Considering the fact they still have yet to make a sequel, they should have gone with the original ending. And didn't the developers say they'd kill Conker off in the first scene of any sequel too?

And now I have to find my copy of Live & Reloaded so that I can play through it again and be saddened once more. Damnit.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, being stupidly hard was just another nail in the coffin, and what ensured I wouldn't even finish it. The fact that it's a massive change from the rest of the game, making all of your grinding, practice, and learning pointless, is what made it bad.

I feel like I'm the only one who ever figured this out, but I remember the combos and moves for the Blade of the Gods being almost exactly the same as the Blade of Artemis. I didn't have any problems with the final boss because I had been switching weapons fairly often and actually had gotten used to the moveset.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

I feel like I'm the only one who ever figured this out, but I remember the combos and moves for the Blade of the Gods being almost exactly the same as the Blade of Artemis. I didn't have any problems with the final boss because I had been switching weapons fairly often and actually had gotten used to the moveset.

Yeah, your right. It's not that hard to beat. This guy just wants stuff handed to him on a platter.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah, your right. It's not that hard to beat. This guy just wants stuff handed to him on a platter.

Just gotta say, I love your avatar haha.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    No. I don't play games for the ending. That's like eating food to see the empty plate after you're finished.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It's not that it was too hard that I couldn't beat it at all, it was that it was too hard for being entirely new (since I didn't put anything into the blade skills and never used it), and the final boss is a piss poor time to introduce an entirely new gameplay style.

Considering the number of complaints other people have had about the ending being too stupid and too hard, I'm really not going to feel bad about it. Also considering that I've beaten plenty of other hard games, that are actually good.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No. I don't play games for the ending. That's like eating food to see the empty plate after you're finished.

Yeah, that's like jerking off just to have an orgasm.

wait what

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

wait what
    I really like you.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think endings ruin games at all, honestly. I play games for the experience the whole way through. Even if the ending sucked (Bioshock) I can still enjoy the game itself. Bioshock is in my top 5 games of all time too, considering the ending was pretty awful.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just picked up soul reaver for the psone again courtesy of ebay. SWEET.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009

wait what

Jerking off is the one exception in life. Everything else should be about the journey, not the destination. Even sex.

EDIT: Hell, especially sex.

EDIT: one could even argue that masturbating can be enjoyed for the sake of itself without orgasm. I dare not play devil's advocate for THAT, though.
    urahonky wrote: »
    I don't think endings ruin games at all, honestly. I play games for the experience the whole way through.
    This is what I'm trying to say, more or less. OKAY?

If the game sucks but the ending is fuckawesome then the game still sucks. If the game is fuckawesome but has a shitty ending then the game is still awesome. The ending should not affect your feelings towards the game as a whole, that's just silly.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JuGGerNAUT33JuGGerNAUT33 __BANNED USERS new member
    edited March 2009

wait what

Is this conversation about sex now? I'm scrolling the pages and I keep seeing the mention of the word 'sex' and 'orgasm'. Anyway, since we're on that topic, how many people masturbate with their right hand? Sometimes I do it while looking at pictures on the computer. Or videos. Man, lesbians rule.

What kind of lube does PA prefer?

JuGGerNAUT33 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think it's entirely possible for a bad ending to ruin a game, at least storywise. The final climax and resolution of a story can definitely render moot and pointless everything that came before it.

In terms of gameplay, then no, at least not as much.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2009
    I think we can all agree that spam is the worst ending ever.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    JuGGerNAUT33JuGGerNAUT33 __BANNED USERS new member
    edited March 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that spam is the worst ending ever.

BODYSLAMMMM

JuGGerNAUT33 on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    The ending to FFX was great, really. There's nothing like a bittersweet conclusion from time to time. Which is also why the regular ending to Max Payne 2 is vastly superior to the secret ending, IMO.

Man.

I always thought the ending to FFX was like that episode of Dallas about who shot JR.

"ZOMG HE WAS JUST AN ILLUSION! This makes sense, I promise!"

....but it does make sense.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Personally endings can ruin games for me. The food example should be Gameplay = preparing food, ending = eating for me heh. The whole after eating thing would be waiting through credits to save for a new game+ or something.

I don't think Final Fantasy VI was mentioned enough in the category of good endings. Perhaps it's because it was the first ending I ever saw where effort was put into it (other than FFIV).

I was kind of disappointed with the bad ending of Disgaea. I can see where one would like the bittersweetness of it but it was not for me. It didn't help that the requirement to not get it was kind of arbitrary. Thankfully the new game+ mechanic made it relatively painless to go for the better ending.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    The ending to FFX was great, really. There's nothing like a bittersweet conclusion from time to time. Which is also why the regular ending to Max Payne 2 is vastly superior to the secret ending, IMO.

Man.

I always thought the ending to FFX was like that episode of Dallas about who shot JR.

I blame people's confusion on the fact that it was never really explained in detail how Tidus' Zanderkand worked. I get that the whole thing was an Aeon created by all of the Fayth trapped in ice, probably because they were really, really bored, but the game doesn't actually explain how they were able to summon without a summoner.

Or how exactly the final summon works. Does the guardian become the Final Aeon itself or the Fayth that summons it?

Or how summons and Fayth work at all.

Damn, FFX explains pretty much nothing about the underlying metaphysics. Then again, I doubt even the summoners really know that much about it themselves, I assume that most of that knowledge was lost when Zanderkand was destroyed.

jothki on
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pata wrote: »

Man.

Yeah, I have to say, I thought the ending was done excellently. It's not like it hadn't been built up to; it's well established what's going to happen when Yu Yevon dies. It's really an excellent cap to both Tidus's character progression, and the overall progression of the story.

I blame people's confusion on the fact that it was never really explained in detail how Tidus' Zanderkand worked. I get that the whole thing was an Aeon created by all of the Fayth trapped in ice, probably because they were really, really bored, but the game doesn't actually explain how they were able to summon without a summoner.

Actually, though it's never quite explicitly stated, it's what Yu Yevon has been busy summoning the whole time. You kill him, summoning ends, Zanarkand ends.
    Or how exactly the final summon works. Does the guardian become the Final Aeon itself or the Fayth that summons it?

Given what happened to Jecht, I'm pretty sure they become the Final Aeon.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My understanding of FFX was always this.

Zanarkand, in the final days of a losing struggle against Beville, gathers all remaining summoners to summon Sin, creating the wall of summoners.

They can't die, but are dreaming of Zanarkand as it was, the place where Jecht and Tidus came from.

Yu Yevon comes up with the whole final summon bs to control sin and get everyone involved in his stupid religion, somehow becoming the core of Sin, where the final summon becomes the actual body of sin.

Somehow, Auron busts Tidus out of that place. He's dead, who the fuck knows how he does it. They break the cycle by actually killing sin, the final aeon, and the core, finally putting the summoning wall to death.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576