As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obama's first (not really) State of the Union - Texts in OP

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    hey mxmarks, I linked your picture to the facebook group and it is now the official picture of the "Bobby Jindal is Kenneth the Page" group, hope you don't mind :D

Medopine on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Someone on Fark just took it a step further and compared Adam Baldwin to Mitt Romney.

I will take it a step further than THAT and compare Tracy Morgan to Michael Steele.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    artifexite wrote: »
    Isn't buying cars for the government a fair attempt to prop up the, you know, failing automotive industry?

Hybrid vehicles. It's meant to make the government fleet much more eco-friendly.

How...horrible? Damn bureaucrats trying to save us tax monies by not wasting gas.

Yeah, it was brought up in the stimulus thread.. if you are going to spend the money anyway, why not help the auto industry, put people to work, push forward eco friendly technology, cut our dependence on oil, clean the air at the same time?

... or, your CEO could get a big tax cut so enough money is loosened up for you to have enough extra money to super size your meal 3 out of 5 days a week.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Someone on Fark just took it a step further and compared Adam Baldwin to Mitt Romney.

I will take it a step further than THAT and compare Tracy Morgan to Michael Steele.

I think you have just casted NBC's new hit show. It's a Republican West Wing, only instead of a drama it is a comedy.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

I think you have just casted NBC's new hit show. It's a Republican West Wing, only instead of a drama it is a comedy.

This would be the most glorious Photoshop ever.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    geckahn wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Are all Louisiana accents as hilarious as his, or he just strange? I started cracking up the minute I heard his voice and chuckled for the next quarter of the speech.

I only have exposure to new orleans, but they sound nothing like him.

My roomie (who is from New Orleans) sounds nothing like Jindal.

I kinda like Jindal's accent...

EDIT: Adam Baldwin is Jayne from Firefly. Alec Baldwin is on 30 Rock.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I didn't get a chance to watch Obama's speech, but having read it I can only approve. It was well written, and knowing Obama the delivery must have made it even better.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alec. I stand corrected.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hahahha medo, this photo from the facebook group is priceless

n504317835_1439086_8122.jpg

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sal wrote: »
    I didn't get a chance to watch Obama's speech, but having read it I can only approve. It was well written, and knowing Obama the delivery must have made it even better.

The delivery was fairly good, but being interrupted by applause 70 times during the speech does make it difficult to maintain a cadence.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Rule number X: When you sound, talk and act like a character on a comedy programme, you're doing it wrong?

Grim Squeaker on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

The delivery was fairly good, but being interrupted by applause 70 times during the speech does make it difficult to maintain a cadence.

Yeah seriously, it must be a cultural thing because I only ever see it in anything american but you lot never let people speak. Crowds will ALWAYS find a way to interrupt speeches or even TV shows and its fucking annoying, let the man speak! :P

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Yeah seriously, it must be a cultural thing because I only ever see it in anything american but you lot never let people speak. Crowds will ALWAYS find a way to interrupt speeches or even TV shows and its fucking annoying, let the man speak! :P

The State of the Union is particularly bad for this. The bullshit theater of yay we approve of that and watching to see what the opposition thinks and ugh. It's so dumb.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE pulls in their best ratings in years due to a GUEST STAR mimicking YOU, you're doing it wrong.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE pulls in their best ratings in years due to a GUEST STAR mimicking YOU, you're doing it wrong.

If Saturday Night Live airs a sketch where quoting you verbatim is the central punchline, you're doing it wrong.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    AHhahahaAhahahaahahahaAH

Watching 30 Rock now, i'm 3 episodes in, the Poker one with Kenneth...

ahahaha it's uncanny as fuck

Either we'll all be working for him, or be dead by his hand

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    AHhahahaAhahahaahahahaAH

Watching 30 Rock now, i'm 3 episodes in, the Poker one with Kenneth...

ahahaha it's uncanny as fuck

Either we'll all be working for him, or be dead by his hand

I just discovered 30 Rock this year too. It is a fantastic show. God I love Tina Fey.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Chris Matthews will explain his "Oh God" sentiment on Hardball tonight.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/25/chris-matthews-explains-o_n_169876.html
    I was taken aback by that peculiar stagecraft, the walking from somewhere in the back of this narrow hall, this winding staircase looming there, the odd anti-bellum [sic] look of the scene. Was this some mimicking of a president walking along the state floor to the East Room?

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, I must note. You know how Jindal was decrying volcano monitoring as pork?

Someone better tell Chile they're wasting their time right now.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How do they shove their feet so far down their throats again and again and again?

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How do they shove their feet so far down their throats again and again and again?

They're banking on an uneducated populace who won't call them on their bullshit.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TheMarshal wrote: »

They're banking on an uneducated populace who won't call them on their bullshit.

The true motive for slashing funding for education is revealed! Build a better Republican, don't send your kids to college!

zilo on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/25/chris-matthews-explains-o_n_169876.html
    I was taken aback by that peculiar stagecraft, the walking from somewhere in the back of this narrow hall, this winding staircase looming there, the odd anti-bellum [sic] look of the scene. Was this some mimicking of a president walking along the state floor to the East Room?

Gee, ya think?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Put away the "energy independence" conceit. This notion, a favorite of Tojo and Hitler, was debunked by Churchill, who reasoned that true energy security came from a diversity of suppliers, not the foolish pursuit of self-sufficiency.
    Wouldn't a diversity of suppliers require funding new suppliers such as solar, nuclear, and wind power?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Problem with that is that they're up against a VERY educated person, with more media pull than them, that is all too happy to call them on their bullshit and tell the uneducated populace all about it. And they haven't learned that yet.

Gosling on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

I agree, monitoring volcanoes will definitely help the economy, stop foreclosures and open up credit flow. Lava flow equals credit flow, everybody knows that.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Gee, ya think?

I'm guess that's rhetorical, hence his disdainful utterance.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Emanon wrote: »

I agree, monitoring volcanoes will definitely help the economy, stop foreclosures and open up credit flow. Lava flow equals credit flow, everybody knows that.

Monitoring a potential disaster that can kill thousands and wreck local economies will prevent the economy of further collapsing.

Couscous on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's just kinda worrying that the governor of Louisiana, and potential presidential primary candidate(let the talking heads tell it) is so damned ignorant about disaster prevention spending/infrastructure. It's asinine. Same tard doesn't want money because their economy is doing great.

There are so many valid complaints, and they rail against fairly good things because they are completely and totally ignorant about what they are discussing. I don't like what the party of Lincoln is doing to the level of debate in this country.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Monitoring a potential disaster that can kill thousands and wreck local economies will prevent the economy of further collapsing.

Also it employs geologists. Making the obvious point here.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Because volcano monitoring programs just set themselves up, everybody knows that.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    redx wrote: »
    It's just kinda worrying that the governor of Louisiana, and potential presidential primary candidate(let the talking heads tell it) is so damned ignorant about disaster prevention spending/infrastructure. It's asinine. Same tard doesn't want money because their economy is doing great.

There are so many valid complaints, and they rail against fairly good things because they are completely and totally ignorant about what they are discussing. I don't like what the party of Lincoln is doing to the level of debate in this country.

Man, it's not the party of Lincoln, it's the party of Reagan. They think Reagan was a better President than Lincoln (or at least publicly did in the primary) because they're all insane.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Because volcano monitoring programs just set themselves up, everybody knows that.

God Bless the republicans... making Pompii a model for how a country SHOULD be run.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009

You do realize acurately predicting natural disasters saves lives, property, sometimes homes, and other very expensive things, right? I read an article earlier today (I'll try to track it down for you) where volcano monitoring managed to save the military something like $300-400 million dollars in vehicles and property because they were able to move everything on the base away from a volcano a few days before it erupted.

Edit: Here we go, it was 538
    Before the cataclysmic eruption, roughly one million people lived in the region around Mount Pinatubo, including about 30,000 American military personnel and their dependents at the two largest U.S. military bases in the Philippines--Clark Air Base and Subic Bay Naval Station. The slopes of the volcano and the adjacent hills and valleys were home to thousands of villagers. Despite the great number of people at risk, there were few casualties in the June 15 eruption. This was the result of intensive monitoring of Mount Pinatubo by scientists with the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) and the USGS.

The first recognized signs that Pinatubo was reawakening after a 500-year slumber were a series of small steam-blast explosions in early April 1991. Scientists from PHIVOLCS immediately began on-site monitoring and soon declared a 6-mile-radius danger zone around the volcano. They were joined in a few weeks by USGS scientists from the Volcano Disaster Assistance Program, a cooperative effort with the Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance of the U.S. Agency for International Development.

[...]

The USGS and PHIVOLCS estimate that their forecasts saved at least 5,000 lives and perhaps as many as 20,000. The people living in the lowlands around Mount Pinatubo were alerted to the impending eruption by the forecasts, and many fled to towns at safer distances from the volcano or took shelter in buildings with strong roofs. Additionally, more than 18,000 American servicemen and their dependents were evacuated from Clark Air Base prior to the June 15 eruption. In the eruption, thousands of weaker roofs, including some on Clark, collapsed under the weight of ash made wet by heavy rains, yet only about 250 lowland residents were killed. Of the 20,000 indigenous Aeta highlanders who lived on the slopes of Mount Pinatubo, all but about 120 were safely evacuated before the eruption completely devastated their villages.

In addition to the many lives saved, property worth hundreds of millions of dollars was protected from damage or destruction in the eruption. When aircraft and other equipment at the U.S. bases were flown to safe areas or covered, losses of at least $200 to 275 million were averted. Philippine and other commercial airlines prevented at least another $50 to 100 million in damage to aircraft by taking similar actions. By heeding warnings of hazardous volcanic ash clouds from Pinatubo, commercial and military pilots avoided severe damage to their aircraft and potentially saved hundreds of lives.
    -- The United States Geological Survey

Bolding is 538's.

Note the earmark in the Stimuls Bill is $140 million, and in this one event, acurate prediction saved approximately $375 million, just in military and airlines property. It doesn't even attempt to add up the savings in civilian property and lives.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Are all Louisiana accents as hilarious as his, or he just strange? I started cracking up the minute I heard his voice and chuckled for the next quarter of the speech.
    I'm guessing he's either affecting the accent or has cultivated it to be outsized, like several other southern politicians (see: Bush, who didn't have much of an accent when he was running for TX governor, and look at him now). It's an easy way to add credibility when you're talking about local issues because "I'm obviously from around here." This is probably an important thing for Jindal in particular to make sure everyone can tell immediately.

....It's the Louisiana Governor's Mansion. Yes it's antebellum. o_O

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Problem with that is that they're up against a VERY educated person, with more media pull than them, that is all too happy to call them on their bullshit and tell the uneducated populace all about it. And they haven't learned that yet.

This is probably why Republicans come off so tone-deaf when they attack Obama. You'd think after losing so convincingly to him that they'd realize he isn't your average Democrat and isn't damaged at all by their conventional attacks on Democrats.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that article is in this same thread. I'm assuming he failed to read it.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

You do realize acurately predicting natural disasters saves lives, property, sometimes homes, and other very expensive things, right? I read an article earlier today (I'll try to track it down for you) where volcano monitoring managed to save the military something like $400-500 million dollars in vehicles and property because they were able to move everything on the base away from a volcano a few days before it erupted.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/02/jindal-versus-volcano.html

Couscous on