As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obama's first (not really) State of the Union - Texts in OP

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On Hardball tonight, they have Tom DeLay talking about Obama's speech. All I can think is "Why the hell isn't that corrupt fuck in jail?"

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That's so awesome. How many of us can say that something we've done was on a national cable show?

mxmarks can

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    one of us, one of us!

I'm looking forward to the budget today, which is an odd to say, since I've never really given a donkey's droppings about budget talks in the past.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I heard about the proposal for a $600 billion reserve set aside for health care reform and, after being surprised at the figure, thought that it was about time someone started the health care reform debate properly prepared.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    the real Kenneth the Page responds to Jindal on Jimmy Fallon's show

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/25/kenneth-the-page-responds_n_170063.html

It boggles my mind that with conceptual material that well conceived, Jimmy Fallon still manages to be completely unfunny.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I heard about the proposal for a $600 billion reserve set aside for health care reform and, after being surprised at the figure, thought that it was about time someone started the health care reform debate properly prepared.

The $640 billion is spread over the next 10 years. That comes to a whopping 2% of the total budget each year for 10 years. If it actually makes health care affordable in this country, it's worth every penny.

Edit: Put another way, that's $200/yr for every man, woman, and child in the country for the next decade. That doesn't seem an unreasonable price if (there's that magical word again) it results in substantive improvements in our nation's health care system.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/25/kenneth-the-page-responds_n_170063.html

It boggles my mind that with conceptual material that well conceived, Jimmy Fallon still manages to be completely unfunny.

Whoever picked that asshat to host a late night show should be shot.

geckahn on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

Ugh, seriously. Is he like that for the entire show? He sounds like a high schooler in a talent show.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I didn't understand the choice at all until my girlfriend informed me that he's "cute", and that many women find him very attractive.

My response was o_O

In any event, though. I feel pretty bad for Jindal. He brought this almost entirely on himself, but he's generally a pretty sharp guy who just shouldn't put on the party's national idiocy. Having seen his gubernatorial inauguration speech, he had a lot of potential to be an even-handed counterpoint to Obama. Instead he's dangerously close to accepting a disgraceful role as GOP toolbag (see: Rudy Giuliani).

Heartlash on
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

The $640 billion is spread over the next 10 years. That comes to a whopping 2% of the total budget each year for 10 years. If it actually makes health care affordable in this country, it's worth every penny.

Edit: Put another way, that's $200/yr for every man, woman, and child in the country for the next decade. That doesn't seem an unreasonable price if (there's that magical word again) it results in substantive improvements in our nation's health care system.

On the other hand, reports are coming out that he's apportioning another 750 billion buckaroos to help the financial industry.

That doesn't sit well with me at all, so he better come up with a good rationale for that.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited February 2009

On the other hand, reports are coming out that he's apportioning another 750 billion buckaroos to help the financial industry.

That doesn't sit well with me at all, so he better come up with a good rationale for that.

There are two ways to go about this, liquidity injections (what's going on now), or nationalization (could be very messy in the case of citi). Liquidity injections - at least with the amount of money we actually need for it to be successful - are quickly becoming politically untenable for congressmen to support.

So I'm thinking nationalization by the end of this year for all major insolvent banks (most of them).

geckahn on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I think they're gearing up to buy out Bank of America and Citi if need be

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The last $750 billion would have done the job if there had been any accountability placed on it. Given that transparency and accountability are Obama's thing, I think it's likely to work this time around.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I think they're gearing up to buy out Bank of America and Citi if need be

If they convert their preferred stocks to common ones right now, I'm pretty sure the US has majority control of Citi. So this wouldnt even be difficult.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Obama's speech just got an official fact check:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/186554

Lots of typical politician embellishments, nothing too outrageous so far (still reading).

Heartlash on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Giethner's talking about the stress test for banks that requires the ones that fail it to take bailout money. I think we're well on our way to de facto nationalization of the worst off banks. Honestly, that doesn't really bother me because I think the government will be much more open to lending money.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Given that so many Gulf States invested their governmental monies in to Bank of America et. al. what will that mean for nationalization? After all, you don't want to fuck them over when it comes to hundreds of billions of dollars as they have a means of getting that back, but they didn't buy debt they bought ownership stakes. Are we possibly going to not wipe out the preferred stock shareholders?

moniker on
  • Options
    Reis2Reis2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does anyone have any thoughts on how a nationalization scenario for Citi or B of A would affect their higher risk businesses like investment banking? To some extent I could see talent migrating away from these firms to smaller, more focused firms or to regional firms (in the case of public finance).

Though they are a competitor and I would stand to gain a lot from their best bankers leaving, I still wonder how their high-paid professionals will react, especially given the new compensation rules. Why bring in $2 mil for a firm and get $500k when you can bring in the same $2 mil at another firm and get paid $750k-1mil?

Reis2 on
    世界は美しくなんかない。それ故に、美しい。
    Brawl.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I actually thought he did ok. Not great, and he seemed unsure of himself and wasn't comfortable... but these are test shows, too, so maybe he will be better next week.

Of course, when I heard he was picked as host I went WTF?, so maybe it is just my lowered expectations at play.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I didn't understand the choice at all until my girlfriend informed me that he's "cute", and that many women find him very attractive.

My response was o_O

In any event, though. I feel pretty bad for Jindal. He brought this almost entirely on himself, but he's generally a pretty sharp guy who just shouldn't put on the party's national idiocy. Having seen his gubernatorial inauguration speech, he had a lot of potential to be an even-handed counterpoint to Obama. Instead he's dangerously close to accepting a disgraceful role as GOP toolbag (see: Rudy Giuliani).
    I'm pretty sure he's a True Believer™, what with things in his past like that forced "exorcism". I doubt he will be/would have been that sensible a counterpoint.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

There are two ways to go about this, liquidity injections (what's going on now), or nationalization (could be very messy in the case of citi). Liquidity injections - at least with the amount of money we actually need for it to be successful - are quickly becoming politically untenable for congressmen to support.

So I'm thinking nationalization by the end of this year for all major insolvent banks (most of them).

It's worth pointing out that those aren't just two methods. If the banks are viable, but have no money to lend out (i.e., a pure credit crisis), then a bailout is the best solution (i.e., a loan).

If the banks are actually bankrupt but are hiding it then you may as well "nationalize" them. As many econopundits have already pointed out, nobody seriously thinks that the government should actually operate the finance industry in the longer run - the plan is to seize control, get things 'in order' (however defined), then sell it back out.

In other words, a fancy bankruptcy procedure.

The reason why all this is taking so long is because it's hard^W impossible to tell just how solvent each bank is. A quote:
    WaMu was probably solvent (subject to definitions below) and was confiscated – certainly – according to the FDIC – it had enough capital when it was confiscated. Wachovia was forced to sell itself when solvent (and when Wells happily purchased them later proving the point). AIG was shockingly insolvent and the shareholders were 80% diluted. Citigroup was in much bigger trouble than WaMu (it was actually illiquid) and the shareholders were given a big kiss (lots of very cheap government money and guarantees) and told to go on their way.

The government policy is very hard to determine. Under the Bush administration there was no policy. Each financial institution in crisis was handled a different way – think Bear, Lehman, AIG, Fannie and Freddie, WaMu, Wachovia, Citigroup. No two deals were even close to similar. Ad-hoc – thy name is Hank Paulson.
    The banks have a big incentive to pretend that they're solvent, too, which really doesn't help.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009

Technically, there's a third way: let it all burn to the ground hahahaha. But that strategy is pretty much only supported by crazy right-wingers and people who have no clue what's going on.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Technically, there's a third way: let it all burn to the ground hahahaha. But that strategy is pretty much only supported by crazy right-wingers and people who have no clue what's going on.

WE SHALL PAVE THE STREET WITH GOLD STANDARDS

*hops in zeppelin and flies away cackling*

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Regarding Jindal, I really hope that putting someone to rebutt post-Obama speechifying becomes the new way the GOP sacrifices those who are useless to them. I know that wasn't the intention, mind you.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Regarding Jindal, I really hope that putting someone to rebutt post-Obama speechifying becomes the new way the GOP sacrifices those who are useless to them. I know that wasn't the intention, mind you.

Well, if you observe him carefully for the near future, you will find out how the GOP now sacrifices those who are useless to them...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Oh god, if that's the case then poor Linda Lingle.

chaosbear on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why is giving solvent, viable banks money they don't ask for, and telling them to loan it out and then pay it back, called a "bailout"?

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Why is giving solvent, viable banks money they don't ask for, and telling them to loan it out and then pay it back, called a "bailout"?

OH MY GOD. why is this shit still floating around.

They didnt have to take it. They were offered it on a set of non-negotiable terms and pressured by paulson to accept. This is not the same thing as being forced.

geckahn on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

They didnt have to take it. They were offered it on a set of non-negotiable terms and pressured by paulson to accept. This is not the same thing as being forced.
    I'm not saying they were "forced." I'm just saying it doesn't seem accurate to call it a "bailout."

Qingu on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ambinder spots something that doesn't make me too pleased in the 10-year budget forecast released today:
    President Obama's FY 2010 budget outline includes ten years' worth of deficit projections. As Obama noted two nights ago, he intends to cut the federal budget deficit from $1.75 trillion in 2009 to $533 billion by the end of his first term.

But what's projected for 2014? A slightly higher deficit -- $570b. For 2015? $583b. By 2016, the deficit exceeds $636b again; by 2019, it's up to about $712b.

The budget projects that the national debt will increase nearly two-fold over 10 years, from $8.3 trillion in 2009 to $15.3 trillion in 2019.

I hope this is some sort of negotiating tactic. I thought the purpose of halving the deficit was to get it to a reasonable and sustainable percentage of GDP; not halving it just so we can start growing it again.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm not saying they were "forced." I'm just saying it doesn't seem accurate to call it a "bailout."

The biggest banks were most definitely bailed out. Citi and BoA are probably insolvent right now.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ambinder spots something that doesn't make me too pleased in the 10-year budget forecast released today:
    President Obama's FY 2010 budget outline includes ten years' worth of deficit projections. As Obama noted two nights ago, he intends to cut the federal budget deficit from $1.75 trillion in 2009 to $533 billion by the end of his first term.

But what's projected for 2014? A slightly higher deficit -- $570b. For 2015? $583b. By 2016, the deficit exceeds $636b again; by 2019, it's up to about $712b.

The budget projects that the national debt will increase nearly two-fold over 10 years, from $8.3 trillion in 2009 to $15.3 trillion in 2019.

I hope this is some sort of negotiating tactic. I thought the purpose of halving the deficit was to get it to a reasonable and sustainable percentage of GDP; not halving it just so we can start growing it again.

I suspect theyre being honest about medicare. Healthcare costs are going to be a huge problem in ever getting a surplus again.

geckahn on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

It's like seeding some torrents overnight so you can get your share rating higher before you go download the entire last season of Boy Meets World!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Banks have every incentive to say that they're solvent when they are not, mind you. Perverse incentives in full effect here.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Projections that far into the future are very difficult. Eight years ago it was projected the government would have cash coming out their assholes by now. But look at the actual changes. As compound interest that rate of increase is ~3.7% from 2012 to 2019. That's without fundamental budget changes that might occur - increasing taxes on the super-wealthy, universal healthcare reducing the per unit costs of health care, budget slashing in the DoD, etc.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ronya wrote: »

Banks have every incentive to say that they're solvent when they are not, mind you. Perverse incentives in full effect here.
    Also, Bank Bailout is alliterative, and Headlines like that kind of thing. It's a loan, it's always supposed to have been a loan, it's just that the message got garbled for a variety of reasons.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Bobby Jindal is Kenneth the Page is now a larger group on Facebook than the group called "Bobby Jindal 2012"

Medopine on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bobby Jindal is Kenneth the Page is now a larger group on Facebook than the group called "Bobby Jindal 2012"
    Oddly, last night at work I realized why Jindal walking up to the camera seemed familiar to me. Anyone seen the Buffy episode "Hush"?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lol wut?

I swear Republicans are SO DAMN BITTER for losing the election that they will say anything now.

e: Also that clip of the real Kenneth showing up is hilarious to me.

e2: Oh wow:

n1172682328_30343749_6887.jpg

urahonky on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    lol wut?

I swear Republicans are SO DAMN BITTER for losing the election that they will say anything now.

e: Also that clip of the real Kenneth showing up is hilarious to me.

I'm glad to see people haven't given up on Palin, because she'll guarantee an entertaining primary.

Also, I love that Conservative Documentary is its own genre, presumably because it presents a different view of reality than regular documentaries.

Robos A Go Go on