As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoD4] - Still Awesomest - But not for long - MW2 Teaser

• Options
    LoxleyLoxley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm actually relieved that this is, apparently, not turning out to be the rumored sci-fi shooter that IW is supposedly working on. I would actually love a beefed-up better-then-ever Modern Warfare. What I would not like is a Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 situation. But the guys at IW are smarter than just beefing up the graphics and gore and slapping a "2" on the end.

Although I think IW forgot that they never actually announced the game. "Eh..yeah...so because some overzealous employees got twitter-happy, fuck it. You know the game exists, let's skip the bullshit, what features do you want in the game?".

Suppose that's one way to do a game announcement ;) Then again, The Old Republic pretty much was revealed the same way. "Oh, yeah, and BioWare is making a KOTOR MMO :D

...wait, you guys didn't know that? They didn't announce it yet? Oh..."

Loxley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If call of duty did go future I would like maybe an actual World War 3 scenario. Like maybe 50 years in the future at most. No aliens or anything weird.

I'm guessing E3 is when a full on announcement of looks and features for CoDMW2 will appear.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh god people want silenced snipers? Fuck that noise. If they added that then I would demand a no sniper (at least no sniper scope, acogs ahoy!) playlist.

Edit: Heh wait that wouldn't work (scope+silencer) unless they added dual attachments too. Phew.

Arrath on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are there any servers that PA users frequent a lot? i know it's kind of died off but i still play this game all the time

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I play on server xbox live quite a bit.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoxleyLoxley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If anything, one thing I hope they improve in Modern Warfare 2, is the sound. The one thing that I will openly admit that I think Treyarch did better than IW is the sound in WaW compared to CoD4. It may have just been a tech thing, so I won't hold IW at fault for it too much. Being able to hear the echo of weapons and explosions across the map really adds to the (and I hate using this word) immersion. Another example would be Battlefield: Bad Company, DICE really nailed the sound in that game.

A more realistic approach to sound design on weapons can also make the firefights a lot more intense, even without any sort of increase to the gore.

As for any sort of PA specific servers, I don't know of any if they exist.

Loxley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think every gun in CoD5 sounds like a pump action bb gun and CoD4 did it way better than CoD5

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I think every gun in CoD5 sounds like a pump action bb gun and CoD4 did [EVERYTHING] way better than CoD5

Fixed.. :x

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Loxley wrote: »
    Another example would be Battlefield: Bad Company, DICE really nailed the sound in that game.

I completely agree with this, the guns in CoD sound horrible compared to BC.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think every gun in CoD5 sounds like a pump action bb gun and CoD4 did it way better than CoD5

Now seriously, what in the fuck is wrong with everyone else's sound? Because these sound pretty damn mean on my speakers. Regardless, Bad Company is still miles ahead of both.
    Loxley wrote: »
    But the guys at IW are smarter than just beefing up the graphics and gore and slapping a "2" on the end.

If the AI in the series shows anything for it, I predict a bunch of retextured weapons/infantry with a few additions at best. Who knows, maybe this time the SAS won't be sporting USMC insignia and Force Recon patches. But an overhaul? Really? They'll probably play this one as close to 4 as they can.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just got back into this , my old copy got mauled by my 360 so I had to get a new one. I installed it to the hard drive just in case. I missed my M4.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »

Now seriously, what in the fuck is wrong with everyone else's sound? Because these sound pretty damn mean on my speakers. Regardless, Bad Company is still miles ahead of both.

All three sound like shit through TV speakers, and sound awesome through even a halfway decent sound system.

Bad Company's sound design does rule, but for the next Battlefield, I hope Dice tones down the 'deafness' effect. Right now it's, "oh, an ant farted, now everything sounds like it's underwater for like a minute."

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What about Bad Company's animation? I fucking love it. I understand how it can make some people queasy, but it was really (dare I say it) immersive with all the little moves your actions caused.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    What about Bad Company's animation? I fucking love it. I understand how it can make some people queasy, but it was really (dare I say it) immersive with all the little moves your actions caused.

The animation is fine, but the color pallette and lighting were a little jarring when I came back to it after several months.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh, I hated BC's colour palette. It was like playing on a Genesis. I could never tell who was on which team, so I just shot everyone.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The big three things I hope they improve for mw2 are:

The spawn system holy god do I fucking hate the spawn system. More specifically spawning in front the enemy, grenades, airstrikes and dying instantly is so damn annoying. ( this happens to me a lot , maybe its just me)

Random grenade spam ( to be honest I don't know how they would fix this but im so sick of being killed by people just throwing random grenades in the air)

And maybe this is just me but a bit more map variety its either a big open map where there are a million (hyperbole) snipers or a very small map where everyone just camps. Well it seems that everyone just camps in the big maps too but I cant blame them with almost everyone being snipers.

P.S. I do not hate snipers , I just hate the sheer quantity of them watching every door and waiting for people to pass by.

Agree / disagree , Flame?

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    1) I never had a problem with MW's spawn system. The odd time on really small nade spam maps like Wetworks I met get spawn killed, but really those were few and far between.
    2) I seriously doubt it. I would imagine however that a new perk would be decreased explosive damage to help offset the nade spam.
    3) Theres lots of medium sized maps. Broadcast stands out in my mind as a nice balance between open and enclosed.

So... disagree I guess.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Same here kris. World @ War had terrible terrible spawn system. Halo 2 had a terrible spawn system. MW had the best respawn system for any online shooter than I've put more than 2 hours into.

As for the nade spam, I think making the perk 2x frags instead of 3x was a great improvement. Thanks World @ War.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well maybe its just frustration talking I had a bad string of games today. Learning the M14 is not easy but im getting better.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    COD4's spawn system is light-years ahead of W@W. It's what finally drove me away from the latter.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ew, M14. No wonder you're unhappy.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I enjoy using it , I think its a fine gun.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The only problem with the M14 is that the Red Dot (or ACOG) is manditory, meaning you can't silence the gun if you want to hit anyone.

I still love it, but that comes mostly from my love for the M21 which is still my favorite. That said, I am opening up to the Barret as a decent sniper rifle.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The spawn system in MW is atrocious. I love the game to death, but honestly, I've been spawned in gunfire, in between an ally and an enemy shooting him, in the pah of a grenade, and in other situations where I die immediately.

Halo 2 had a much better system than this.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ilmmad wrote: »
    The spawn system in MW is atrocious. I love the game to death, but honestly, I've been spawned in gunfire, in between an ally and an enemy shooting him, in the path of a grenade, and in other situations where I die immediately.

Halo 2 had a much better system than this.

Annoying isnt it? The worst is spawning in a air strike and giving someone a helicopter.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Wow you guys must get it much worse than me. I'll die maybe once a round as a spawn death and that is almost entierly when I'm playing Mercenary TDM cause there is no coherence behind the teams like there is in nevery other mode.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well its not like it happens all the time every game , just enough to piss you you off. My current record is 6 deaths within 2 second of spawning. I was livid. That said the game itself was fun since it was a brawl with everyone in that area instead of everyone hiding in a corner waiting for people to walk by.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Random grenade spam ( to be honest I don't know how they would fix this but im so sick of being killed by people just throwing random grenades in the air)

Limed for truth. It's the worst thing about the game, actually, and even infects the pro community (first thing you do in any round is throw your nades at the sun and hope for a lucky kill, ugh).

They should remove the perk that grants extra frags completely. Hell, making it a perk to get one might not be so bad.
    Kris_xK wrote: »

It's excellent on the PC. Not sure which system you play it on.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    One of the good things going for W@W was that the dog spawn points were quite often at/near popular sniper spots, it was great fun on some maps.

While neither MW or W@W have perfect spawn systems, MW's is better. I can't count the number of times I've instantly died or watched someone spawn into my scope in W@W. I do agree that grenade spam can be a bit crazy but I think that like W@W, MW2 will have an explosive damage reduction perk.

Arrath on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Interesting. I always thought dogs spawned on the person who called them. I guess I never really paid attention.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    MW had the best respawn system for any online shooter than I've put more than 2 hours into.

I'll personally take fixed spawns over a game that will arbitrarily drop me on my own corpse multiple times in a row for sniping/helicopter/airstrike convenience. The spawn systems in both are annoying as hell, but I'll take W@W for the sake of it putting me away from the firefights more often. Though Seelow is a goddamn horrible map now without tanks. Same for Roundhouse. Fuck, any map with tanks removed.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Limed for truth. It's the worst thing about the game, actually, and even infects the pro community (first thing you do in any round is throw your nades at the sun and hope for a lucky kill, ugh).

They should remove the perk that grants extra frags completely. Hell, making it a perk to get one might not be so bad.
    Kris_xK wrote: »

It's excellent on the PC. Not sure which system you play it on.

Wetwork is hell for this, the middle of the boat is a meat grinder with at least 3 or 4 guys with 3 frags and Martydom just lobbing all 3 then charging in to suicide bomb you...

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Interesting. I always thought dogs spawned on the person who called them. I guess I never really paid attention.

Nah there are several set points around the map they come in through, usually over barbed wire banks or through holes in bunkers and such.

Edit: They removed the tanks on Seelow/Roundhouse? Those fuckers! I didn't like Roundhouse as a map anyway (though I got a tripple kill with one bazooka shot, that was cool) but I love Seelow.

Arrath on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember way before WaW was even announced, I said it would be cool to be able to call in a pack of dogs on the enemies in CoD4.

Anyway, I played some Cod4 and WaW on my brother's PS3 yesterday after he came home to visit. I was surprised how well I did considering I never play console shooters. I was killing with the Skorpion trying to get the silencer on it. It definitely felt slower paced though. Of course it was more difficult to turn and people couldn't snap a 180 and shoot you before you got them. I do prefer PC play to consoles.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    At least the CoD4 spawn system makes spawn camping almost impossible.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »

I would be to differ.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »

I've never had a problem spawn camping on (most) maps :P Shipyard goes without saying. There are spots on Wetworks, Ambush, Vacant, Bog, Crossfire... probably more (I haven't played CoD4 in ages) with fairly easy camp spots that overlook spawn points.

(edit) and I realize you said ALMOST impossible, but IMO there's more potential spawn camping on most maps than there are "safe" spots.

(edit edit) but it's still better than WaW's it seems....

aBlank on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well I mean a cool thing about the MW spawn system is that it created this dynamic front in most maps that gave the gameplay an interesting flow to it. You can never really pin down a team, since MW will spawn you somewhat far away from the action, allowing you to flank in around the potential "spawn campers". In a sense the spawn system encourages tactical movement. However if you have a set of static spawns, you're just going to have people camping the entire time.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Arrath wrote: »

Nah there are several set points around the map they come in through, usually over barbed wire banks or through holes in bunkers and such.

Edit: They removed the tanks on Seelow/Roundhouse? Those fuckers! I didn't like Roundhouse as a map anyway (though I got a tripple kill with one bazooka shot, that was cool) but I love Seelow.

I was only half right, they just removed tanks from all hardcore playlists. Which absolutely baffles me as it's twice as easy for me to kill them there.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys MW2 is gonna be awesome I just know it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg