As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ain't No Sunshine [Chat]

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it really irritates me when people say something like "philosophy is useless"

i mean they very statement "philosophy is useless" is itself an act of philosophy

academia is fraught with poor communication and intellectual elitism, but that is no excuse for anti-intellectualism

one could at least say "the current field of academic philosophy as it is institutionalized is useless"

i'd still disagree but at least it's not a hopelessly broad generalization

Well, lets get down to basics. Most other departments or faculties at a University consider the Philosophy people to be a bunch of wankers. It may be the one thing that brings English, Business, and Engineering majors together.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Corvus wrote: »

i mean they very statement "philosophy is useless" is itself an act of philosophy

academia is fraught with poor communication and intellectual elitism, but that is no excuse for anti-intellectualism

one could at least say "the current field of academic philosophy as it is institutionalized is useless"

Well, lets get down to basics. Most other departments or faculties at a University consider the Philosophy people to be a bunch of wankers. It may be the one thing that brings English, Business, and Engineering majors together.

Hell, one of my philosophy professors seems to spend half his time slagging off the rest of the philosophy department.

Starcross on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    They're leaving the psoriasis thread open just to tempt someone to post in it so they can be summarily infracted, aren't they.

their inability to remove it obviously declares their desire to have a discussion on psoriasis
    If you post on-topic in a spam thread, is that an infractable offense?

Yep.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

"Philosophy degrees are useless"

not if you want to have a position within a philosophy department in a University.

Also, "transferable skills". Many employers like degrees such as philosophy and classics 'cos of the whole thinking outside of your realm of experience thing and other reasons they have been taught to think they need.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    i'm tempted to read some gutenberg project available philosophy at work. I dunno. No Kant. I can't stand that motherfucker.

Or I'll just get back to Moby Dick.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

"Philosophy degrees are useless"

a philosophy degree is better than not having a philosophy degree, despite the meme about liberal arts degrees being useless

i think the way philosophy is taught at, say, my university, is horrible shit. but philosophy is really important as a cultural item.

contrary to what Feral says, i find that grounding in older philosophers is really productive. i can't tell you how many people i hear arguing about epistemology or ethics or ontology without knowing that someone has had this argument before, and codified it, and done a really good job of it. If you learn that fundamental stuff, you can move forward and either come to a resolution or at least pin down exactly what the source of disagreement is.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They're leaving the psoriasis thread open just to tempt someone to post in it so they can be summarily infracted, aren't they.

their inability to remove it obviously declares their desire to have a discussion on psoriasis
    If you post on-topic in a spam thread, is that an infractable offense?

hmm...

how could you be ontopic?

hey i just went to your site and ordered some psoriasis medication just in case?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

And your post is a very good example of why I find philosophy majors frustrating.

As I mentioned before, there's no clear notion of scope. Apparently, any inference, any application of logic, any statement testable or not is "philosophy."

I shouldn't have to explain why that's absurd.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    man, mcgwire used to be really small. what happened to that guy?

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Podly wrote: »

050207_canseco_book_hmed1p.hmedium.jpg

oh hey, pre steroids McGwire. Or at least drastically smaller dosages.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »

Clearly the superior Withers song.
    Superior? They’re both great.

This is true.

Ain't No Sunshine is the sadder song.

Also true. I also adore the bit from :51 to 1:12.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Proto wrote: »

Uh, you don't follow the news at all? Massive quantities of performance enhancing drugs.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    contrary to what Feral says, i find that grounding in older philosophers is really productive. i can't tell you how many people i hear arguing about epistemology or ethics or ontology without knowing that someone has had this argument before, and codified it, and done a really good job of it. If you learn that fundamental stuff, you can move forward and either come to a resolution or at least pin down exactly what the source of disagreement is.

This. The point of philosophy study is to keep us from having the same arguments over and over again.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My philosophy is to assume Feral is correct

Elendil on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kant really only makes sense if you know a shit ton of context

but then you can understand how he has systematically arranged what may be the clearest, most coherent and founded philosophy ever thought of

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Philosophers are quite often wankers. That doesn't mean that they are wrong or useless, though.

Learning about philosophy is really valuable. I really can't stress how much it has enriched my life. My university has a terrible curriculum for it, and so do many institutions, but that doesn't diminish the fact that when I pursue learning about stuff like Descartes or Locke or Hume or Derrida or Marx or whatever, it's really helpful in coming to terms with ethical, social, political issues.

Basically I think all the liberal arts are really valuable just in themselves, and people should be exposed to them.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kilroy wrote: »

This. The point of philosophy study is to keep us from having the same arguments over and over again.

if thats the point, then it hasn't succeeded yet.

philosophy as taught in college is supposed to give you an insight into what other people reasoned and argued about important subjects. you can repeat or rework whatever arguement you want. people don't study descartes so that they can stop wondering what the essence of existence is.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't see what's so useless about showing why A =/= ~A

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    My philosophy is to assume Feral is correct
    I try to assume that certain people have demonstrated their views are good, but not assume they’re correct.

I disagree with everybody about something.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Uh, you don't follow the news at all? Massive quantities of performance enhancing drugs.

uh, baseball players don't use drugs.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't see what's so useless about showing why A =/= ~A
    Feral wrote: »
    As I mentioned before, there's no clear notion of scope. Apparently, any inference, any application of logic, any statement testable or not is "philosophy."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Feral wrote: »

And your post is a very good example of why I find philosophy majors frustrating.

That's why saying "philosophy is useless" is absurd, though. Philosophy is literally just thinking about stuff, trying to figure things out. It's been systematized, formalized, gathered into schools, etc, but that's what philosophy is.

A six year old kid who's asking "Why?" is doing rudimentary philosophy.

If you want to talk about the academic field of philosophy, institutionalized and formalized as it is, you still have to be more specific, because you're including political philosophy, ethical philosophy, literary and social philosophy, formal logic, etc etc, all sorts of modes of thinking that are very disparate but also often intimately linked. How can you possibly dismiss someone like Marx or Descartes? How could you think that learning about these things is useless?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My boss is doing performance reviews and I just know he's going to bitch about "that blue website" I'm always on.

My supe today was asking what this site is I'm always on, referring to this one. I told him it's a site where people bitch about Comcast all day.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OH THANK FUCK THIS PROGRAM FOUND SOME OF THE DELETED FILES :D:D:D

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Feral, what is the scope of biology? What is the scope of physics? What is the scope of music?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »

uh, baseball players don't use drugs.

oh, you were joking.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And by the way, this is [chat] and I'm usually a lot sloppier and from-the-hip with my language in [chat] than in general.

I don't think all philosophy is useless.

I have found that in dealing with philosophy classes, philosophy professors, and philosophy majors in their element (as in, in seminar classes and group discussions) that the majority of philosophy is wankery.

There are a number of concepts and terms coined by famous philosophers that are very useful for simplifying discussion in other fields. It is not strictly, or necessarily, useless.

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2009

philosophy as taught in college is supposed to give you an insight into what other people reasoned and argued about important subjects. you can repeat or rework whatever arguement you want. people don't study descartes so that they can stop wondering what the essence of existence is.

people study descartes and his successors so that they don't have to argue about the semantics and basic concepts of existence, consciousness, self and identity. Have you ever tried to argue about that kind of shit with someone who has no grounding in philosophy whatsoever, who doesn't have any knowledge of "I think therefore I am" and what that means? Quite often you can get something productive and valuable - after two hours (or twenty forum pages) of semantic bickering and attempts to explain the abstract concepts you're working with.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Feral, what is the scope of biology? What is the scope of physics? What is the scope of music?
    purity.png

Bama on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

people study descartes and his successors so that they don't have to argue about the semantics and basic concepts of existence, consciousness, self and identity. Have you ever tried to argue about that kind of shit with someone who has no grounding in philosophy whatsoever, who doesn't have any knowledge of "I think therefore I am" and what that means? Quite often you can get something productive and valuable - after two hours (or twenty forum pages) of semantic bickering and attempts to explain the abstract concepts you're working with.

It tends to devolve into arguments about definitions.

then again most philosophy is arguing about definitions too.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Organichu on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Hey, everyone: Try jalapeno flavored pretzel bits. They're awesome.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.redstate.com/dan_mclaughlin/2009/02/25/not-even-on-the-agenda/

Does anyone else think "Its about time" when it comes to this? I know 9/11 changed everything, but I've gotten so tired of the invoking of it and use of terror.

Goose! on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Right, time to book taxi and finish getting ready for friend's birthday indian meal extravaganza.

later [chat]

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

it is also hard to debate rocket mechanics with a philosophy major.

assume that there is equal knowledge on both sides, there is no reason to take descartes arguements as gospel, no reason to not rehash his arguements with what you now know or believe.... in fact thats what alot of people have already done.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Rocket mechanics really have no bearing on my day to day life.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got robbed on my Biology mock.

I don't care if it's not on the course, Fehling's Solution is used to detect the presence of aldehydes.

Tav on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Philosophers are quite often wankers. That doesn't mean that they are wrong or useless, though.

Learning about philosophy is really valuable. I really can't stress how much it has enriched my life. My university has a terrible curriculum for it, and so do many institutions, but that doesn't diminish the fact that when I pursue learning about stuff like Descartes or Locke or Hume or Derrida or Marx or whatever, it's really helpful in coming to terms with ethical, social, political issues.

Basically I think all the liberal arts are really valuable just in themselves, and people should be exposed to them.

Oh, I'm in favour of liberal arts. I did a BA in History with a minor in urban/human focused Geography. Its just that the attitude and especially the language used by most Philosophy folks is atrocious.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited February 2009

These things are difficult to define, which gives me trepidation about offering a definition, because if I offer one that is inaccurate or incomplete you could catch me in a 'gotcha' moment. However, that does not mean that we can't easily distinguish what is and is not biology, or physics. If I'm calculating the trajectory of a satellite, nobody in their right mind would claim that I'm doing biology. If I'm measuring the change in a certain allele frequency between generations of bacteria in a petri dish, while physics might be applicable to some degree, it's clear that I'm not really a physicist, but a biologist. That implies that biology and physics have definable scopes, even if we could spend hours hammering those definitions out.

As far as I can tell, nothing in academia is not philosophy, if philosophy is "thinking about things, trying to figure things out."

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Rocket mechanics really have no bearing on my day to day life.

plenty of bearing on mine.

of course philosophy is pretty useless to small children too.

Dunadan019 on
This discussion has been closed.