As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making schedules? Is there an easier way? [Work]

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My boss had me come up with some ideas for scheduling our 3 person department for next month... kinda short notice, but w/e.

I've been using Excel to visualize the shifts and make it easy to shift things, but it's still not easy enough. Are there any free programs I can use (besides Google Calender, don't ask...) that would make my life easier?

Goal: Getting 3 people to cover 5am-11pm with 2 consecutive days off each. Mon-Fri coverage = 5am-11pm, Sat/Sun = 5am-7pm

1ddqd on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    why not use the outlook calendar? i assume you have email?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

That would be an awesome idea, except that we use Lotus notes at work.

Here's the thing. We have 5am-11pm coverage - that means that for 18 hours, a day, someone has to be here. I made a schedule that would work, but we'd only get 1 day off at a time. Management said no, to make it 2 days off at a time. No problem, right? Just schedule everyone mon-fri for 5 8-hour shifts. No, wait, have to cover 5am-6pm on Saturday and Sunday, too.

The only thing I can come up with are 4 9 hour shifts and a half day on weekends.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

That would be an awesome idea, except that we use Lotus notes at work.

Here's the thing. We have 5am-11pm coverage - that means that for 18 hours, a day, someone has to be here. I made a schedule that would work, but we'd only get 1 day off at a time. Management said no, to make it 2 days off at a time. No problem, right? Just schedule everyone mon-fri for 5 8-hour shifts. No, wait, have to cover 5am-6pm on Saturday and Sunday, too.

The only thing I can come up with are 4 9 hour shifts and a half day on weekends.

ok, 5am to 11pm is 18 hours, 5am to 7pm is 14 hours. you have a total of 118 hours in a week. each person needs to work 39.3 hours but lets just say that 1 person works 40 hours and the other 2 work 39.

person 1: M,T,W,Th: 5am-1pm (8hr shift) Su: 5am-12pm (7hr shift). total:39
    person 2: F,S: 5am-12pm (7 hr shift) W,Th: 1pm-11pm (10hr shift) T: 1pm-6pm (5hr shift). total:40
    person 3: S,Su: 12pm-7pm (7hr shift) M,F: 1pm-11pm (10hr shift) T: 6pm-11pm (5hr shift). total: 39

person 1: F,S off
    Person 2: Su,M off
    person 3: W,Th off

thats about as neat as you can make it. tuesday is the only really weird day.

Dunadan019 on