As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Open Beta Get!

• Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    goodtimes wrote: »
    map is not accepting logins because it is full....

No que? they literally expect people to spam login info until they hit the lotto and get in?

strike one

You're striking one them even though it's an OB?

Also I might have a bug to report! I noticed the tractor beam details wasn't being displayed in the command officer skill area.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Before you give up, I'd take a moment to remember it's the first day of open beta, and they likely severely underestimated the number of people who were going to hit their servers. I'm sure by tomorrow they'll have expanded their cluster somewhat. Hopefully.

LogicReason on
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, got a free key from Ten Ton Hammer... but cannot get the download started. Looks like their servers are catching fire.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    TerroricTerroric Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My friend had the same issue. He just went and made a sandwich, came back and he was able to login.

Luck of the draw. I was in first attempt and have been stable ever since (1.5 hrs so far)

It might be nice to add how to easily find the sector, or star system you need to go to and how you can have it "plot course" for there automatically. It makes it nice to be able to go and make a sandwich. :) I'll see about making a screen shot or two if it shows the in-game menus....

Terroric on
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    map is not accepting logins because it is full....

No que? they literally expect people to spam login info until they hit the lotto and get in?

strike one

You're striking one them even though it's an OB?

If you think it's not going to be full on release day then you're the pessimist here.

Login Ques, while hated by developers and players alike, are not exactly innovative, envelope stretching, bleeding edge game play features.

Lack of a simple feature like a Login Que at this stage in the game's development does not inspire consumer confidence, it makes you wonder what other features this game has overlooked.

Wave the beta flag all you want this is not a bug it's an amateurish oversight

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wow had queues for beta?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was more suggesting a login queue is easily implemented, and therefore it's likely if the horrible queues continue (which I doubt they will) that they will implement said queuing system.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is also still a period to track down bugs with servers and mass logins. A stress test of the hardware if you will? A peek on the official forums shows that the not being able to get into the map is a bug they're currently working on, so why not relax a little and understand software development isn't as easy as 'everyone else does it, so should you!'

And... that's a horrible top of the page post...

To fix, an image of a bunch of feddie ships killing a big dreadnaught during the closed beta:
    DreadKill.jpg

LogicReason on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And considering this issue didn't happen in CO or STO closed, asking them to foresee this or react to this in 5 hours is a bit much.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DewarDewar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's very possible that they're not using all of their servers in order to simulate heavy loads on the cluster. Now would be the best time to do that, because beta attendance will slowly drop off until release.

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
    ^This is like the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese's^
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    I was more suggesting a login queue is easily implemented, and therefore it's likely if the horrible queues continue (which I doubt they will) that they will implement said queuing system.

I wouldn't characterize it as horrible, it took about the amount of time it would take to make the above mentioned sandwich, in game right now and though I do see other people running to and fro I don't feel like I'm in the crowded starting area of an MMO having to camp a spawn to kill my ten rats , that's a nice feeling

goodtimes on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    And considering this issue didn't happen in CO or STO closed, asking them to foresee this or react to this in 5 hours is a bit much.

No , like I spelled it out perfectly before for you. It's really not a new concept.

goodtimes on
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This just got posted,

TODAY, 05:05 PM #80
    dstahl
    Cryptic Studios Team

Most mission instances are max 5 players - always have been. That is the way the game is designed. Larger sector maps, pvp maps, social maps have higher player limits.

The BUG you are seeing right now is that so many people are trying to access the same mission that it is filling up the 5 player maps before you client realizes. It attempts to transfer you to a map and when it cannot, it pulls up a map list - something you will rarely ever see unless the map you requested was full by the time you got there.

We are addressing this BUG in the next patch.

For now, you can go to Options, HUD, and deselect ALWAYS SHOW INSTANCE MAP LIST which should help a little bit.

Please relax. Have some patience. We are fixing bugs non stop here in the office. We'll get the fixes out to you as fast as the builder can make the patch and post it to the server.

ANOTHER solution is to go into SOCIAL menu and deselect Auto Grouping by default. This will place you on your own map.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's got a couple of good tips

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Its not an old concept either. WoW didnt have it at release and didnt implement it for awhile. They are not going to have one in Open Beta either.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Its not an old concept either. WoW didnt have it at release and didnt implement it for awhile. They are not going to have one in Open Beta either.

Wow certainly did have login ques at release, very large ones.

goodtimes on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm I dont remember that... But I guess waiting those 3 weeks post release helped a bit. *shrug* Still wont have one in Open Beta.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I'm off now. I'll be at college for 8 hours tomorrow, so...

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey so question about ATI cards, I noticed yesterday when i loaded up the main client, just in the menu screen my card was screaming, and pulling up the ATI control panel showed it maxed out. I seem to remember reading something about there being a fix for this, but i cant remember where i saw it or what it was. Ive got a 4670 if that makes a difference.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have a question:

If I download the open beta and install it, would anyone here who currently has an account be willing to lend it to me so I could try the game myself?

I watched quite a few videos and read impressions,but actually trying out the game is the deciding factor for a purchase or not. I'm really not fond of pre-ordering a game just so I can try it out or buying it without ever playing it first.

If someone would do that,awesome. If the open beta key and/or account is the same as you will use for the release version, then I off course take my question back,because I'm not going to ask someone to give me the information for a "real" account, no matter how honest I am.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Open beta got. Now the roughly 24 hours of downloading the client.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ill change my password temporarily so you can use the account if you want Klyka, then change it back for retail if I actually decide to use it for retail. <3

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Lack of a simple feature like a Login Que at this stage in the game's development does not inspire consumer confidence, it makes you wonder what other features this game has overlooked.

Well good thing it's a simple feature. Easy to implement after more important bugs/issues are dealt with.

Terroric on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    I have a question:

If I download the open beta and install it, would anyone here who currently has an account be willing to lend it to me so I could try the game myself?

I watched quite a few videos and read impressions,but actually trying out the game is the deciding factor for a purchase or not. I'm really not fond of pre-ordering a game just so I can try it out or buying it without ever playing it first.

If someone would do that,awesome. If the open beta key and/or account is the same as you will use for the release version, then I off course take my question back,because I'm not going to ask someone to give me the information for a "real" account, no matter how honest I am.

Can't you get a key off fileplanet? I just did 5 minutes ago.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    übergeek wrote: »
    I have a question:

Doesn't that cost money though?

I would also need a credit card,which I don't have at the moment.

Hey thanks corriganx, that's awesome! I'll start downloading the beta then, I guess it'll be finished when I come home after work tomorrow!

Is the best way to download the client via torrent?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    übergeek wrote: »
    I have a question:

Doesn't that cost money though?

I would also need a credit card,which I don't have at the moment.

Hey thanks corriganx, that's awesome! I'll start downloading the beta then, I guess it'll be finished when I come home after work tomorrow!

Not now, Open Beta is usually free. I had both a fileplanet and and old vnboard account.

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/star-trek-online/

Try that. Never asked fora card and I'm not a paying member. If it doesn't work, you can just use Corrigan's.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No, sign up for the free fileplanet account and you get a key. TenTonHammer was also giving out keys along with about 100 other websites. Seems the "Pre-order to get your slot!" was a little overhyped, keys are flowing pretty free at this point.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Says that all beta keys are gone though :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just got a key from ten ton hammer literally right this minute, looks like they still have some, if anyone's looking

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally finished installing... waiting for windows to finish updating and logging in... hopefully. :D

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.incgamers.com/ is giving away some keys, but the website appears to be wanged at the moment.

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bad news: My fileplanet download got disconnected while I was at work.
    Good news: Qwest fixed my shitty connection and I am now getting 500+ KB/s. So I actually have an outside chance of playing this thing tonight. Score.

Bluefoot on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Updating... :\

Well, I guess it gives me time to read up on the forums... again.

Does anyone know if I get my Digital Deluxe content during beta or only during live?

I only ask because the FAQ is mildly unclear...

"Q: Will I receive my retailer exclusives during the Head Start?

A: No. The exclusives are tied to the retail product, not to the preorder key. In other words, you’ll need to purchase the full version of the game and input that key."

I entered my full version key when I registered my account I believe.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Klyka, if you still need a key, send me a PM. I have a extra key.

As far as downloading is going, I am getting 500k/sec- 800k/sec on the torrent in the OP.

Will I need to patch with this download or is this one of the updated clients?

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Home, sweet home.
    screenshot2010011217473.th.jpg

Even though they're kind of Mass Effect'y I still dig the armor.
    screenshot2010011219380.th.jpg

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well the game was goin alright there for a bit, but now I'm getting hit with the full map error happy fun time again.

Edit: It looks like my character is stuck in mid-beam to a patrol instance. I guess he's just free energy now.

pantsy on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe when he materializes he'll be in the mirror universe.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    dang, I can't get back into sector space. A few times attempting to connect now, I think I may just wait until tomorrow until I try to player heavier.

welp, third time (was going to be my last time) was the charm. I guess I'm sucked into running some more missions. :-P

Terroric on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sigh....they fucked with the difficulty again. So I'm cock blocked by a mission solo AND when grouped.

Decoy on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What mission?

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.