[STO] Open Beta Get!

1545556575860»

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Invisible wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    STO Ship Tiers

I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but this might help folks with ship selection.

I'm sad the Miranda and Excalibur are such low tiers since those were my favorites as a kid. I like the Intrepid as well, but it's tainted by Voyager.

well the game takes place 30 years post TNG (actually post nemesis) which is what, 140 since TOS, when those ships were top of the line, so it makes sense they are lower tier

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    annnnd d/c again.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    haha,man such mean timing.

I just wanted to do the Azura mission before work. I start it up,destroy the Orions and the victory fanfare plays and then...disconnect!

:(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gotta say, if part of the purpose of the OB is PR then Cryptic is kind of failing at it horribly.

This clearly needs another 3-6 months in the oven.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think they are just totally stress testing their servers.

I mean I hope.

I mean I wish.

I mean.... :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nah, the game was pretty great in closed with 20-40 instances per map. In open, when I started I saw 500 instances of the first space portion (teleport survivors from the ships and go to the seacole then the other ship to get weapons)

And in the giant bomb video I saw 3450 instances of the very first map. I'm sure it will be much better when they stop stress testing and add more servers or whatever.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just installed it and it patched pretty quick. I used the STO downloader to get the game files.

Created a Vulcan science officer. Wow. Just wow.

I think I'm in love with this game. I only played it for 25 minutes and I'm in love.

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    STO Ship Tiers

I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but this might help folks with ship selection.

Soveriegn class... *drool*

Also, the Vor'Cha class Klingon cruiser looks pretty nifty.

Melkster on
  • Options
    firewulffirewulf Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm loving the space combat with 0-2 allied ships. More than that and ridiculous sprays of torpedoes from the enemies seems to destroy everything. Ground combat isn't all that bad. Some people have been complaining of lots of lag: I've noticed that using an ability can be a bit slow, but no more laggy than most MMOs (it seems that WoW is really good about this compared to other games e.g. DDO).

I'm kind of annoyed at the "high" cost of changing appearances. The preview is better than some, but it doesn't really give a feel for what it will be like running around with that look, and the prohibitive cost makes minor tweaks a pain. I'm sure they're not done with the system yet, but I'd like to see costs change based on what you're changing. Dying hair? Cheap. Going from 5'6" to 6'6" tall? Expensive.

firewulf on
  • Options
    Bob the InsaneBob the Insane Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I went to the tailor thinking about changing the outfit and was surprized that you could change everything at a cost...

To be honest, the lack a a standardized Star Fleet uniform detracts a little from the Federation feel IMO. The Earth Stardock look far more Star Wars or Babalyon 5 than it does Star Trek. Even DS9 was not that colourful...

The large battles can be a pain when you get yourself in the wrong position and suddenly all the enemy ships are targeting you. The poor little light cruiser is varorized in about 15 seconds flat and with full impluse and warping disabled you have no chance of escape. I am thinking the battle at Starbase 24 here...

Bob the Insane on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Key part of that is you were in the wrong position. If you stand out from the crowd and all the ships target you its your own damn fault when you get vaporized.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    damvaldamval Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It looks like if you live near Del Taco, you can get a code to get a shuttle craft pet on their super size cup.

http://www.deltaco.com/coupons.html

(If anyone has an extra, I would love if they could pm me one heh)

damval on
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What the what?! PM ME ALSO.

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Quick, someone near Del Taco needs to start offering to sell those codes for about $4. Get free lunch at Del Taco, send people codes.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Bob the InsaneBob the Insane Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Key part of that is you were in the wrong position. If you stand out from the crowd and all the ships target you its your own damn fault when you get vaporized.

Understood, however 20 seconds ago I was in a group of federation ships happliy joining in picking apart the AI, and boom they all start firing at me and there is no escape, nothing clever you can do about it. Of course that might change as you level up and have more skills, abilities and better ships.

I guess I just have not gotten used to how aggro works in this game yet...

Bob the Insane on
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know why they call it "Open Beta" when it clearly isn't and you have to hunt for some stupid keys. I guess I won't bother with this game..

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Renegen wrote: »
    I don't know why they call it "Open Beta" when it clearly isn't and you have to hunt for some stupid keys. I guess I won't bother with this game..

Pretty extreme reaction, but okay.

So far I like this game a lot. It's worth a try.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I went to the tailor thinking about changing the outfit and was surprized that you could change everything at a cost...

AIUI every character, every bridge officer, and every ship gets one free change of outfit. After that you need to pay in energy credits.

ydejin on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Banshee wrote: »
    Renegen wrote: »

Pretty extreme reaction, but okay.

So far I like this game a lot. It's worth a try.

This falls back to people not fully agreeing on the definition of "open" versus "closed" betas, which usually refers to whether there is an NDA and not whether everyone in the world can get in.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    damval wrote: »
    It looks like if you live near Del Taco, you can get a code to get a shuttle craft pet on their super size cup.

http://www.deltaco.com/coupons.html

(If anyone has an extra, I would love if they could pm me one heh)

This is awesome and I am sad because I've never even heard of this chain.

Xaviar on
This discussion has been closed.