As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But that's two words!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Stay on target, STAAAAYYY ON TARGEEETTT!

I don't see the scout thing dieing down soon, mainly because the Grief Stick is just too good to pass up even if your k/d ratio is in the negative.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    So, in a week or two when the Scoutsterbation has died down, my team needs one, and I switch to Scout why exactly should I not have the Sandman and FoN already available to me?

Fair enough.

Also, encouraging everybody to "invest some time in Scout" at the same time leads to a week or two of pretty shitty matches.

And it's not like you're really learning the class if you're playing Scout right now, because it's not like you're going to be applying normal strategies and playstyles while getting the achievements in a team of eight scouts against another team that has eight scouts.

And yes, with eight I am being conservative.

EDIT: Basically any argument in favor of unlockables aside from "lolbecause" falls apart if you apply any sort of logic to it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, and for my play style, the backburner is definitely required. It's much easier taking down heavies when I can circle strafe around behind them when I meet one in the middle of battle.

I've tried tons of times to reflect rockets from soldiers, but I'm just not doing something right... Maybe I need to let them get closer...

Sheep on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does the unlocker still work, by the way? Who's ballsy enough to try it?

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that's the thing, Quaz. I so want to try it for the next update just to see but since they've already said it's a no-no I'm pretty sure their punishment will be a lot more than the wrist slap (that didn't land) this time was.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Oh, and for my play style, the backburner is definitely required. It's much easier taking down heavies when I can circle strafe around behind them when I meet one in the middle of battle.

I've tried tons of times to reflect rockets from soldiers, but I'm just not doing something right... Maybe I need to let them get closer...

i was back-burner 100% but not i use the leaf blower the whole time, I find it more versatile.

but then again... i rarely play pyro anymore

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the thing, Quaz. I so want to try it for the next update just to see but since they've already said it's a no-no I'm pretty sure their punishment will be a lot more than the wrist slap (that didn't land) this time was.

Yeah, seriously. I'm wondering if I should try it or not. I don't think they'll ban my account or anything, maybe I should read over the EULA thing again to see.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i see unlocks as something valve wants you to work for, which is why some achievements are really hard to get. also, they should be something a person is proud to have earned (which isnt necessarily the case)

however, people take the path of least resistance and use friends, achievement servers, etc. to get them asap

xta on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Me and a friend farmed the achievements.
    I don't care, i now have the sandman.

About earning it and morals and such. Sod it, i don't need me cheating at a game to worry about my moral character. So if anyone has any beef with it, go find something else to worry about than people who cheat. Worry about the people who hAx....

(i post this as i've had a few people message me and comment on it, frankly, stop it, its getting old now)

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    xta wrote: »
    i see unlocks as something valve wants you to work for, which is why some achievements are really hard to get. also, they should be something a person is proud to have earned (which isnt necessarily the case)

however, people take the path of least resistance and use friends, achievement servers, etc. to get them asap

The fact that farming will always be possible (and, frankly, pretty easy) undermines and invalidates the entire purpose of "making them work for it," thus it makes no sense not to just give people the weapons and let them get the achievements whenever.

Unless somebody actually wants to argue that "I was around for PASMO" qualifies as "earning" or "working for" the weapons, and a justification for keeping the current system. A system which for many players means that "were you around that one night we farmed the fuck out of the achievements" will determine whether they have all (or any) of the unlocks.

See, logic kills any argument in favor of it that isn't "lolbecause." Seriously.

EDIT: And people take the path of least resistance because unlocks in a fucking FPS are ludicrous to begin with. This is not WoTF2.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, seriously. I'm wondering if I should try it or not. I don't think they'll ban my account or anything, maybe I should read over the EULA thing again to see.

I've heard of people who used it and did not lose their weapons

like, just unlocking the milestones themselves instead of everything

MrDelish on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I used it to unlock the milestones, and just the milestones, and I still have all my weapons (in your face savoo hah) then again I did earn a lot of achievements legit so maybe they just look for people that only have 20 achievements total or something.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Man why do people even care?

Yes it is cheating. But the result of the cheating doesn't really give you the upper hand in a match. The weapons are designed to be balanced so that you have to decide between the two, not so that its an upgrade.

At the end of the day once you have legitimately unlocked the weapons you are in exactly the same position. So all this argument concerns is a matter of morals, and they are based on opinion.

e.g I see it as ok to eat meat, my ex however was vegetarian, because she didn't feel comfortable eating another animal. Was she in the wrong or am I? It doesn't matter, because at the end of the day, we're both well fed. Who cares if I finished by dinner before her.

Now can we start talking about the actual game and not this nonsense of cheating.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    so the force a nature sucks against other scouts

but then again, I am very awful against other scouts anyway

sandman still reigns supreme

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That was the worst analogy that has ever existed, Green.

edit:

And there are situations where certain weapons are better than others. Final CP of Dustbowl and an uber is coming. What would you rather have, a sandman or the bat that can't do a single thing against it? I'd imagine that on the final CP, due to the general lack of a need to double jump, the sandman will always be superior.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yes it is cheating. But the result of the cheating doesn't really give you the upper hand in a match. The weapons are designed to be balanced so that you have to decide between the two, not so that its an upgrade.
    lol blutsauger.

Fuga on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    davincie wrote: »
    I used it to unlock the milestones, and just the milestones, and I still have all my weapons (in your face savoo hah) then again I did earn a lot of achievements legit so maybe they just look for people that only have 20 achievements total or something.

I don't care that you have the weapons and I don't care about who uses the unlocker and who doesn't. All I care about is that you were wrong, and now it's official that you were wrong. Oh so very wrong, you wrong person you. All those things you said, all wrong. So much wrongness.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blutsauger is for babbies.

I'm going full-on needlegun, to help kill the waves of scouts right now. I can dodge enemies just fine, so I don't need the HP regen from it. I needs me some crits to help kill the annoying little men.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    lol blutsauger.

lol the medic was awfully underpowered. + that was the 1st unlock... you live and learn.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lol blutsauger.

the medic pack was the very first package they ever made. there is a ton of shit that came out then that doesnt apply now. the weapons were all better except the kritz (still better imo but it has weakness). you had to get ALL the achievements. theres no taunt kill. the achievements were really REALLY grindy and not almost novelty. since then they've really improved with balance and making the hoops less retarded to jump through.

because this is my thread:

NO MORE TALKING ABOUT CHEATING. NO ONE GIVES A SHIT AND YOU CAN SIT AND STEW AND FEEL SUPERIOR TO OTHER NERDS IN YOUR OWN THREAD

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    xta wrote: »

The fact that farming will always be possible (and, frankly, pretty easy) undermines and invalidates the entire purpose of "making them work for it," thus it makes no sense not to just give people the weapons and let them get the achievements whenever.

Unless somebody actually wants to argue that "I was around for PASMO" qualifies as "earning" or "working for" the weapons, and a justification for keeping the current system. A system which for many players means that "were you around that one night we farmed the fuck out of the achievements" will determine whether they have all (or any) of the unlocks.

See, logic kills any argument in favor of it that isn't "lolbecause." Seriously.

EDIT: And people take the path of least resistance because unlocks in a fucking FPS are ludicrous to begin with. This is not WoTF2.

Are you having fun with your army of strawmen?

Nobody is saying "lolbecause" and nobody is talking about farming is really earning them the way valve intended. If you actually want to respond to any of the arguments put here, let me know. If not then stop filling the thread with your nerdrage nobody cares about.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That was the worst analogy that has ever existed, Green.

edit:

And there are situations where certain weapons are better than others. Final CP of Dustbowl and an uber is coming. What would you rather have, a sandman or the bat that can't do a single thing against it? I'd imagine that on the final CP, due to the general lack of a need to double jump, the sandman will always be superior.

Sandman is fun, but i sorely miss the double jump.

+ It was an awesome analogy.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Man why do people even care?

Yes it is cheating. But the result of the cheating doesn't really give you the upper hand in a match.
    I'm of the opinion that it doesn't truly constitute "cheating" unless it does the latter here.

A few people have heard me get aggravated at the fact that sv_cheats has to be enabled for me to remove the HUD when taking screenshots (or at all, really). Would it be cheating for me to write a program that would bypass this limitation strictly so I could take HUD-less screenshots? I would hope not.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    If not then stop filling the thread with your nerdrage nobody cares about.

So maybe we should all stop responding to the nerdrage nobody cares about

I cleaned up as a scout while trying to get some achievements in a part-full PA server but man it's a class I just don't find enjoyable. Nothing connects!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    sith dont make me turn that size back up to 7

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    It also sucks against Demomen (who are easily taken out with the scattergun, and a Scout's second target, just behind the Medic) and Soldiers. In most situations the knockback also sucks against Medics, since you can't get close enough for a two-shot kill due to a Soldier playing bodyguard, and each shot just pushes the Medic even further out of reach.
    And there are situations where certain weapons are better than others. Final CP of Dustbowl and an uber is coming. What would you rather have, a sandman or the bat that can't do a single thing against it?
    I'd rather have a Demoman?

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Asiina wrote: »
    If not then stop filling the thread with your nerdrage nobody cares about.

So maybe we should all stop responding to the nerdrage nobody cares about

I cleaned up as a scout while trying to get some achievements in a part-full PA server but man it's a class I just don't find enjoyable. Nothing connects!

duty_calls.png

Edcrab, just play pyro. It's hells of fun.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    sith dont make me turn that size back up to 7
    I EAT YOUR SANDWICHES

I eat em up!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »
    It also sucks against Demomen (who are easily taken out with the scattergun, and a Scout's second target, just behind the Medic) and Soldiers. In most situations the knockback also sucks against Medics, since you can't get close enough for a two-shot kill due to a Soldier playing bodyguard, and each shot just pushes the Medic even further out of reach.

i think the real purpose of this is defensive. if you want to use it offensively it'd be better to flank around behind and use it to push medics into the open.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    @ Green: Ah, yes, but what I mean is that there are situations where one weapon is better. I decided not to use the 'behind some? Backburner is better!' because I like to imagine situations over the map balance the two weapons really quite well but that final point on Dustbowl, and the entire area from the 1st cp, is hardly scout friendly so I can't say I see how a double jump would even be remotely as useful as stunning folks leaving them open to being killed by your team mates. But this is all subjective and I'm not even a good scout. Plus this isn't talking about the unlocker it's discussing weapon balance!

I do wish the kill cams with the unlockable weapons didn't show the god damn things. Yes, I can tell what weapon it is. No, I don't want the bottom right of my screenshot obscured.

I hope they bring out a taunt kill for the medic. I need a taunt kill for the medic.

edit:

Not the point mumbly!

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And there are situations where certain weapons are better than others. Final CP of Dustbowl and an uber is coming. What would you rather have, a sandman or the bat that can't do a single thing against it?
    Meh, with stickies being pushable & destroyable and their individual knockback being crap, demos aren't that great against ubers anymore. An airblast pyro is infinitely more useful.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    lol blutsauger.

the medic pack was the very first package they ever made. there is a ton of shit that came out then that doesnt apply now. the weapons were all better except the kritz (still better imo but it has weakness). you had to get ALL the achievements. theres no taunt kill. the achievements were really REALLY grindy and not almost novelty. since then they've really improved with balance and making the hoops less retarded to jump through.

because this is my thread:

NO MORE TALKING ABOUT CHEATING. NO ONE GIVES A SHIT AND YOU CAN SIT AND STEW AND FEEL SUPERIOR TO OTHER NERDS IN YOUR OWN THREAD

having your own thread doesn't grant you any rights!

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    basically what i was saying is that if you want to discuss the moral standings of using an unlocked make a separate thread for it.
    it gives me the right to mock you in the title if i so wish so nyah :P

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You all need to see this.
    engie.jpg

I didn't write that in the first place. You fail at quoting.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    engie.jpg

This is exactly why I hated playing last night. Out of a team of 12 you've got like 9 scouts.

BALANCE, PEOPLE.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    engie.jpg

Not highly unexpected seeing as scouts are basically Sentry Fodder

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, I'm gonna say again.

The 50% off sale ends Friday, it does not extend through the weekend.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    oh snaps. ill fix that then.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    engie.jpg

moer liek