As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can even put the image in the Opening Post if you like:

50_header.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The FaN is underwhelming, still needs some work IMHO. The only major advantage it has is being able to fire twice as fast for a quick kill, everything else is just small little perks and the knockback hurts as much as it helps. It just gives up way too much killing power thanks to the clip. I think they need to remove one of its disadvantages - nix the damage penalty or make it reload faster.

The energy drink is also sort of subpar, since there's no speed boost and knockback slows you down it's really easy for someone to follow you and kill you when it wears off, so it's not much good for bypassing sentries. The only thing it really does well is distract sentries for your teammates to kill them, which is decent but situational. Basically I'll use the pistol 9/10 of the time and only pull out the Bonk for breaking last point turret farming.

The Sandman is awesome though, holy shit. Landing a stun against any class at any range is a guaranteed kill 1v1 as long as you can get in close to finish them. The minimum stun length is about 2 seconds which is plenty of time to switch to the scattergun and kill them before they can fight back, even a Heavy. Using it as a close range weapon you can also recover your ball immediately. It's also pretty great for slowing down ubers and sealing the fate of people that your teammates are fighting from longer range, just don't waste it against people who are safe since it takes 15 seconds to get your ball back if you throw it away. It's a pretty definitive upgrade on the spamfest maps like Dustbowl, and fairly balanced on the better Scout maps I'd say.

Zek on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had a very similar round, GPR, but I think I only had like five people dominated, and it was on a pub. Good ol' CTF_Turbine.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    Landing a stun against any class at any range is a guaranteed kill 1v1 as long as you can get in close to finish them.

Careful, I think you're wandering into John Madden levels of analysis here.

Also, if anyone was wondering (which they probably weren't) I've been playing some on the PA servers as dakkon.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's what I want to know:

Has anyone managed to use the FaN to get over a moving train? I kept trying on Freight but I couldn't manage it. I just kept getting so close

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Landing a stun against any class at any range is a guaranteed kill 1v1 as long as you can get in close to finish them.

Also, if anyone was wondering (which they probably weren't) I've been playing some on the PA servers as dakkon.

get a mic and talk

People that talk are welcomed and recognized faster than people that don't

plus, that whole "talk with your team" and teamwork thing

MrDelish on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    People without mics aren't real people. SHUN THEM!

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »

get a mic and talk

Well, I was talking a bit on one game but then I realized that all talk was on and I was telegraphing to the other team how we were going to take out one of their sentries, so I shut up.

I shall endeavor to be more talkative in the future however. I've found that my most useful function is that I can successfully shout out that "I spy has just stabbed me!" :(

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Funny enough, that warning will only work when alltalk is on. Otherwise you can only talk to your dead teammates while you wait to respawn.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    oh, you already have a mic. I always assume that people that are like "hai guys I wunt 2 play dis wif u" (exact words) don't have a microphone

Like Zek and Icy
    Zek wrote:
    Hai guys

I wud liek 2 play dis gaem wif u all

how I play?? I kill mans :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

MrDelish on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

:cry:

Even though I never used it, I'm going to miss the unlocker simply because now nobody is going to want to play a different class when new updates hit. They could have at least waited until after the engineer update to get rid of it. 12 engineers vs. 12 engineers.... D:

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rakai wrote: »

:cry:

Even though I never used it, I'm going to miss the unlocker simply because now nobody is going to want to play a different class when new updates hit. They could have at least waited until after the engineer update to get rid of it. 12 engineers vs. 12 engineers.... D:

-our stalemates will block out the sun
    -then we can build in the shade

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone have the link to the mic that attaches to the headphone posted a couple threads back?

Musan on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    moer liek

cp_well0018.jpg
    moar like pwned

cp_fastlane0008.jpg

nice dominations by the way GPR.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If they're smart and want to be dicks, they should make every achievement on the Engy update devoid of anything that requires a turret. It should be all teleporter, dispenser, shotgun, pistol and wrench.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The FaN is underwhelming, still needs some work IMHO. The only major advantage it has is being able to fire twice as fast for a quick kill, everything else is just small little perks and the knockback hurts as much as it helps. It just gives up way too much killing power thanks to the clip. I think they need to remove one of its disadvantages - nix the damage penalty or make it reload faster.

The energy drink is also sort of subpar, since there's no speed boost and knockback slows you down it's really easy for someone to follow you and kill you when it wears off, so it's not much good for bypassing sentries. The only thing it really does well is distract sentries for your teammates to kill them, which is decent but situational. Basically I'll use the pistol 9/10 of the time and only pull out the Bonk for breaking last point turret farming.

The Sandman is awesome though, holy shit. Landing a stun against any class at any range is a guaranteed kill 1v1 as long as you can get in close to finish them. The minimum stun length is about 2 seconds which is plenty of time to switch to the scattergun and kill them before they can fight back, even a Heavy. Using it as a close range weapon you can also recover your ball immediately. It's also pretty great for slowing down ubers and sealing the fate of people that your teammates are fighting from longer range, just don't waste it against people who are safe since it takes 15 seconds to get your ball back if you throw it away. It's a pretty definitive upgrade on the spamfest maps like Dustbowl, and fairly balanced on the better Scout maps I'd say.
    how useful is the triple jump with FaN? i really dont play scout that much and think im about done with the class

the energy drink is nifty but then you cant do anything while using it besides prolonging death

the stun is really crazy, stunning uber using meds and making them lose their uber.. just completely obliterates the uber. mass turtling engineers are way better with the sandman as backup

xta on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been enjoying the FAN, fits my playstyle of unloading a few shots and running like hell from any retaliation. Its not that great against other scouts though, but if you do connect point blank, they just crumple. I feel more effective with it, still after using it a while, maybe I'll switch back to the scattergun and see if its really just my skills increasing from regular practice on the scout.

I'm 2 achievements short of getting the sandman, but already having fun with it. Its hilarious to be running up to the battle, see a friendly heavy/soldier/whatever about to turn a corner and geat beaned, and just wait behind the corner next to him, enemy scout runs up for his free and BLAM!

I'm a thoroughly mediocre scout though (and TF2 player in general), and my score is especially suffering because I've been spending time figuring out just exactly where a double-jump plus FAN triple jump blast can get me. I've figured out a few nice ones that have resulted in a enemy sniper or demoman or whatever suddenly getting blasted well behind the front.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If they're smart and want to be dicks, they should make every achievement on the Engy update devoid of anything that requires a turret. It should be all teleporter, dispenser, shotgun, pistol and wrench.

besides the pyro update, the engineer *real* update is the one i'm looking forward to. it's hard to speculate what they could add, but i'm sure it would make the engineer own ppl's faces off even more

xta on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Has anyone managed to use the FaN to get over a moving train? I kept trying on Freight but I couldn't manage it. I just kept getting so close

I can't help you there but I can tell you that the bonk energy drink does not allow you to dodge a train.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    xta wrote: »
    how useful is the triple jump with FaN? i really dont play scout that much and think im about done with the class

It's okay, the triple jump lets you take some new shortcuts and using it with the Sandman lets you get to all the places you could double jump to before. It's rarely necessary though.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Domhnall wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I can't help you there but I can tell you that the bonk energy drink does not allow you to dodge a train.

the train on freight does not kill a bonk'd scout

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    !!!!

My word, Delish. That is a find!

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    boooooo

Fuga on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ehh I find I like TF2 less with the new unlocks and scout is my most played.

They took out the heavy muzzle flash but put in a silly cartoon BONK symbol?
    I gave stun a chance but it really is dumb for gameplay.
    Energy drink making you go into third-person?
    The scout class without double jump doesn't seem like a scout anymore.
    Took the baseball idea too far. Some subtelty was good.

Sandvich should be 4th slot for heavy (undo some of the tightening of the mini-gun) as should energy drink be for scout.

splash on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

get a mic and talk

My problem is that half the time I forget to hold down the push to talk button, so I just end up talking to myself.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Heavy sandvich replacing the shotgun is perfectly fine.

Domhnall on
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    moar like pwned

*snip*

nice dominations by the way GPR.

ZERO deaths as a scout? How the fuck does a team even let that happen?

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    f this, i think i'm gonna use the unlocker.

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The only time I used the pistol was to pick off sentries. The bonk drink works pretty well at running the heck away from a bunch of enemies

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fuga wrote: »

so if you unlock it you might get them taken for a week and then given back so its really not that big of a punishment

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why did so many people have to vote that the FAN should be first? It sucks.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    because it was the weapon released the day they made the vote and people (like me) got all excited about it

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    man it is such a beautiful day, it is seriously a perfect 72 degrees outside... too bad i won't bother enjoying it after work because of tuftoo >_<

need mah achievements fer unlocks

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

Because it was a gun.

And people are stupid.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I much prefer the Sandman and it should have been the first weapon unlocked. the FAN should have been the last one.

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, the FAN should have been second with the bat first because like 1/3 of the achievements are bat related, 5 or 6 are FAN related and one is drink related.

Asiina on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    No, the FAN should have been second with the bat first because like 1/3 of the achievements are bat related, 5 or 6 are FAN related and one is drink related.

This. At least they almost got it, but everyone's gun-lust got the better of them.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

I actually think this way is perfect, even if not for the reasons the voters intended. The Sandman is the real primary unlock of the patch so it should go second like the rest of them.

Zek on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fuga wrote: »

I used the unlocker and still got my guns. I'm not sure how Valve goes about detecting it maybe I did it in such a way that was undetectable.

I'm not a fan of these unlocks this time, although I'm not a fan of scout much to begin with. They just seem like they need a few tweaks to be worth using.

Back to my Pyro.

parabola on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    ZERO deaths as a scout? How the fuck does a team even let that happen?
    Can't kill what you can't catch.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
This discussion has been closed.