As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excitebots, Punch-Out, Legend of Stafy release dates announced [NSF56K]

12346»

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, who the hell vomited mini-game leavings into my ExiteTruck sequel? If they fuck this up, I will kill them!

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    According to IGN, Punch-Out will also support classic controller.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/958/958936p1.html

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Funnily enough classic controller dosent use the classic controller.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yyeeeahhh, I'm gonna have to see about Excitebots now. Adding minigames is one of those things that will either be great or awful.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Reality wrote: »
    I was hoping we'd at least see a Mario Bowling by now. So it goes.

What? Rather than Nester?
    RockinX wrote: »
    The game reminds me of Stunt Race FX. Nice little game there.

I've been hearing this around, and I dig it... even if I don't so much care for the weapons idea.

WiFi, on the other hand, I'm down with.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    According to IGN, Punch-Out will also support classic controller.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/958/958936p1.html

Oh thank fucking Christ.

Now I may get this.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    EA is so awesome this generation.

I'm super excited about Grand Slam Tennis.

Never thought I"d say that about a Tennis game.

I agree. EA has done wonders this generation. Not only some fantastic work on the 360/PS3, but one of the only publishers doing right by the Wii.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, I'm excited about Excite Bots! The bots look cool in the game, unlike in the box art and the possiblities! Bikes, trucks, choppers, that red bar trick to extend jumps! So awesome!

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hmh... this is interesting. Few days after the Punch-Outs original October announcement, someone put following list of boxers into net, but it was quickly pulled after few hours. Perhaps it is fake, but I don't really see reason why someone would take effort to pull out fake list, and so fast. But here is the list:

-Aran Ryan
    -Bald Bull
    -Banana Slamma
    -Bear Hugger
    -Chris Kizz
    -Don Flamenco
    -Dragon Chan
    -Glass Joe
    -Great Tiger
    -Heike Kagero
    -Kid Quick
    -King Hippo
    -Masked Muscle
    -Mr. Dream
    -Mr. Sandman
    -Piston Honda
    -Piston Hurricane
    -Pizza Pasta
    -Ryan Fliyd
    -Soda Popinski
    -Super Macho Man
    -Von Kaiser

List has 22 boxers, meaning 6 boxers per tour. It has every boxer from original Punch-Out (sans Tyson, of course), all boxers from arcade games, three boxers that have only appeared on SNES game, and three completely new boxers (italized). Names of new boxers certainly sounds something that could be in Punch-Out game, but in the other hand, roster is somewhat odd. For example, both Pistons, Pizza Pasta and Aran Ryan all share nearly same gimmicks. But in the other hand, the new boxer shown in the box really feels someone whose name would be "Banana Slamma". In any case, I would be pretty happy with this lineup.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That would be a pretty good list of boxers actually.

Soda Popinski :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Soda Popinski :^:

He was called Vodka Drunkenski in original arcade game. :lol:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hope Banana Slamma is not Donkey Kong. 'Cause that's a reference I would rather not have in my game.

RockinX on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hope Banana Slamma is not Donkey Kong. 'Cause that's a reference I would rather not have in my game.

You're turning down a chance to box against a gorilla? You fail at life, sir.

But yeah, that list is a little odd, since Piston Honda and Piston Hurricane are the same person. Or, at least, they were. Maybe Piston Hurricane is a re-match against a pissed-off, retrained Piston Honda?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Actually, what I don't want is a reference to the horrible CGI cartoon D:

But of course, fighting DK would be nice.

RockinX on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

But yeah, that list is a little odd, since Piston Honda and Piston Hurricane are the same person. Or, at least, they were. Maybe Piston Hurricane is a re-match against a pissed-off, retrained Piston Honda?

They could just change it.

Remember, there were some characters in the games you fought twice, once at faster speed/stronger punches. Hurricane could be a faster stronger Honda, or vice versa.

Also, throw my hat into the ring for this new Punch-Out. My favorite Nintendo announcement this year outside of the Prime 1 remake.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    But yeah, that list is a little odd, since Piston Honda and Piston Hurricane are the same person.

No. Piston Hurricane was from Cuba, and first seen in original arcade game, then in SNES game. Piston Honda was from Tokyo, and he appeared only on NES game. Both had hurricane rush as a gimmick.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, throw my hat into the ring for this new Punch-Out. My favorite Nintendo announcement this year outside of the Prime 1 remake.

Man, this is my favorite announcement since the Wii was released.

And I love the Wii and mostly every game I have (Pokémon Battle Revolution sucks ass).

RockinX on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    But yeah, that list is a little odd, since Piston Honda and Piston Hurricane are the same person.

No. Piston Hurricane was from Cuba, and first seen in original arcade game, then in SNES game. Piston Honda was from Tokyo, and he appeared only on NES game. Both had hurricane rush as a gimmick.

D'oh. Stupid defective memory.

But yeah, I'm all about this. The boxing section of Wii Sports is stupid fun, and it's a technical mess. Given the developer's track record, I'm sure this will be nice and solid. I, for one, welcome the opportunity to flail around like an idiot.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SUPER RED BAR

the sense of speed in that video is actually pretty damn good. Game looks super crazy, but it's impossible to tell if it flows well. Not that I'm doubting it, it just looks like there's a lot of weird stuff going on.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    toxk_02 wrote: »

Any lingering doubts about Excitebots were just put to rest.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That actually looks fairly promising, and it'd be nice to have something else to use the wheel with.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, I smiled at SUPER SANDWICH.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Super Sandwich and Pie Face had me grinning.

The game looks like a blast, and like Xagarath said, it'll be nice to have another game to use my wheel with. Can't wait to try this one out.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only thing that still holds me back from this game is the stupid bug designs. If these were merely huge trucks throwing pies and bowling strikes, I would be fine.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    But it's a robo bug holding a super sandwich. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I haven't been able to see the trailer, but the impressions I get from reading other forums is that you're waggling and spinning around mid-race to earn some of the goofier stunts, like the Sandwich and the Red Bar and all that ... ehh, I'll have to try it. I'm a big Wario Ware fan, but what I dug about Excite Truck was the actual racing component.

EDIT: I sounded more pessimistic than I meant to. Let's say that Excite Truck did absolutely nothing for me until I got my hands on it, and then I had a blast with it. EB could be the same story, so I'll wait until I actually play it before really deciding.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What I dug about Excite Truck was that it wasn't a racing game, it just looked like one. The question is whether the tricks are gimmicky (bad), or just goofy (good) - and so far, they look like they're a logical extension of the Tree Run and Drift mechanics - trying to balance positioning for the trick with position in the race and position relative to environmental hazards. There's potential for a lot of depth here, actually.

Seol on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    After watching the trailer for Punch-Out...I realized that it's a must own for me...the very day it's released.:)

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nintendo Power had a great article about the game that gave a bunch of info. It sounds like it'll be a blast. The game is still a racing game at its core. All the extra stuff is silly stuff to help boost your points.

It looks fun, and I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, the video for Excitebots looks decent, but I'm gonna have to see how well it integrates all that with the actual racing.

edit:: and also how it balances the vehicles. In Excitetruck there was a pretty even balance between speed/air time/toughness which were all useful. How will that translate to sandwiches, bowling pins, etc? I dunno.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only thing that still holds me back from this game is the stupid bug designs. If these were merely huge trucks throwing pies and bowling strikes, I would be fine.

I think there are some non-bug but still animalistic designs there...

In any case, the devs said as they were working on it, they realized that trucks wouldn't really work for what they were after, and I can see why now.

...how would a truck throw a pie, anyway?

On a related note, am I the only one who wants Excitebike 64 to come to the Virtual Console? I never got to play that one, but Excite Truck and seeing Excitebots is making me want to.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New info on Excitebots from Nintendo Power
    This info comes from the latest issue of Nintendo Power. I’ll only be posting the info that’s new…
    - control pad for continuous boost
    - hold control pad too long and you’ll overheat
    - more challenge modes than ExciteTruck
    - online for up to six players
    - more online details yet to be revealed
    - unlock tracks/bots in Excite Race
    - tutorial mode ‘School Cup’ must be completed
    - complete five tracks in each cup (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum) to move onto the next
    - race tracks in any order
    - need a B rank or higher to pass
    - new tracks and some old ExciteTruck tracks return
    - locations: Kilimanjero, Egypt, Canada, China
    - as seen in trailer, there are red bars and yellow bars.
    - yellow bars: “Once you reach a yellow bar, your bot grips onto it and instantly spins around at lightning speed, and you need to find the exact time to push your Remote forward so that your bot is released. The sooner you can push and release your bot off the yellow bar, the faster the release acceleration and the more points you earn. But if you push at the wrong time, your bot will tumble off the bar. The yellow bar requires instant concentration while at the same time adding even more speed to the race.”- Hiro Yamada, Supervisor at Nintendo and Richard Garcia, Team Lead and President of Monster Games
    - red bars: “When your bot reaches a red bar, your bot automatically grabs it and starts to rotate around the bar at a very slow speed. Syncing your Wii Remote movement with your bot on the red bar is critical to increasing the speed of rotation. Spinning around the red bar 10 times releases your bot. [Just before a red bar] you’ll be racing at full speed, but once you reach it you’ll have to hold back your anticipation to carefully control your Remote, something which ultimately creates an intense change of pace in the gameplay.” - Hiro Yamada, Supervisor at Nintendo and Richard Garcia, Team Lead and President of Monster Games
    - New attack items: Chomper Mouth (fake teeth that are shot and then latch onto opponent)
    - Mini-games: Soccer goal kicks, darts, football field goals, pie throwing and more
    - completing mini-games unlocks hidden items, such as new routes on tracks
    - more on unlockables: “There will be numerous icons that can be unlocked one-by-one and then used for your profile, so that your friends and competitors can see the icon of your choosing during tournaments via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The most exciting is probably statues since you can collect a statue for each vehicle. By purchasing these unlockable statues, you’ll be able to admire your favorite bot from all angles. These new bots, icons, and statues can be purchased by stars that you earn throughout the game.” - Hiro Yamada, Supervisor at Nintendo and Richard Garcia, Team Lead and President of Monster Games
    - techno-like soundtrack

LewieP on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like that the mini-games open up new routes, instead of just giving a boost.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer