As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You guys are dicks. (NSF56k or w)

disturbdisturb Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Artist's Corner
And this is a topic. With sketches and designs of my own creation.
monsterfistbn8.jpg
breakitdowndv7.jpg
thumb1li1.jpg
pinup1sh5.jpg
pinup3rq5.jpg
bloodsl1.jpg
pressplaywm7.jpg
mahspacedhc1.jpg
brgirlan1.jpg

disturb on

• Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    no u

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Lexx KYSDSLexx KYSDS Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I knew I got on the intronets tonight for a reason.

Your style is totally boss and I love the quality of your sketchwork, but your female torsoes are falling a bit short. Generally speaking, it's the boobs in particular that are bothering me, and surprisingly enough it's not because they're pointy. They just feel like they have no weight to them--even A-cups aren't immune to the tug of gravity.

Velma's bug me the most what with her boobs sitting so unnaturally high on her chest. Dropping them a bit lower would do wonders. And while we're on the topic of that drawing, the width of her ribcage is throwing me off too. It get's reeeeally thick there under her armpit. So while you're giving her a boob job, downsizing her humpback a bit probably wouldn't hurt either.

Other than that, you're stuff is ace. I love the go-go-go dance and that blood donor guy, and I really dig what you've got started there in the third one down from the top.

YOU KEEP POSTING HERE WHY NOT :D

Lexx KYSDS on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Your poses are very dynamic, which rocks.

What the hell's up with your myspace page, though? It's really great except for those huge, repeated self-portraits at the top. Fucks with the composition.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yep, some nice stuff. Pretty plastic. My favorite is the cemetary-thingie, even though the zombie guys arms look far too short.
    And the right hand of pinup1sh5.jpg seems to be a left one.

Keep more stuff coming ^^

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nice style! ~ <3

ALSO, I love demon arms.

Yeah, anatomy is a little funky in a few of those drawings, but that's ok. I like the vibe I'm getting from it. Keep the stuff coming!

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I agree with the above, nice style and great flow and all. :) Aside from the boob issue already mentioned, some of the arms are a bit funky. Velma's right arm (our left) just seems like it's stuck on funny, like she has no shoulder and what Ape said, the right hand is a left hand. The first drawing too, his arm's coming out of the sleeve at an angle yet I don't get the impression from his shoulder that it should be coming out from that angle (he'd be having a pretty funky shoulder in that case). (I do like that first drawing best of all, well.. except for the tiny little Navi in it, argh :P)

Fantasyrogue on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ape2001 wrote:
    Pretty plastic.

You've said this before Ape, but I'd like to know, what does it mean?
    I must be dumb, I don't get it at all.

Tam on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I agree with the above, nice style and great flow and all. :) Aside from the boob issue already mentioned, some of the arms are a bit funky. Velma's right arm (our left) just seems like it's stuck on funny, like she has no shoulder and what Ape said, the right hand is a left hand. The first drawing too, his arm's coming out of the sleeve at an angle yet I don't get the impression from his shoulder that it should be coming out from that angle (he'd be having a pretty funky shoulder in that case). (I do like that first drawing best of all, well.. except for the tiny little Navi in it, argh :P)

Your style is sweetness, also A+ on adding navi :)

Edit: oh and I love your hands, always in crazy positions.

Prospicience on
  • disturbdisturb Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [deleted for being lame]

disturb on
    edited November 2006
    That guy in the lower right hand corner is supposed to be one my Asian friends. His eyes were giving me so much trouble however that I just Rock Lee'd him.
    charlesdb1.jpg

disturb on
  • Lexx KYSDSLexx KYSDS Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    disturb wrote:
    His eyes were giving me so much trouble however that I just Rock Lee'd him.

And for that I love you forever <3

Lexx KYSDS on
  • eminkey2003eminkey2003 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cool shtuff. I really like the Velma one. I think proportions could be an issue though. Maybe the legs are too small? I'd like to see some more full bodies. Also, are you avoiding the hands? Most of them look unfinished. Same problem with me, heh. Just try not to make them look broken.

eminkey2003 on
    I am Man-yam, part man, and part yam. I love yams and I love mans, and what a yam-man I am.
    edited November 2006
    ryunpalsrv6.jpg

disturb on
  • ImmortalImmortal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Favorite = Monster Fist. That is just COOL. I'm not sure if that's yours, or if it's an actual comic or something, but regardless, you drew it uber well. And I actually really like the repeating picture on your MySpace page - mostly for the intertwining arms, actually. If you just had a bunch of intertwining arms like that, that'd be awesome.

As an aside - I just watched Battle Royale for the first time (never even heard of it) last night - and now I see this sketch of yours.

Strange world, no?

EDIT:

I just have to add - I realised that I really really love how it seems (to me) that you're mixing western and eastern influences here. I see lots of anime, but I also see american comic books. Monster Fist reminds me of Hell Boy.

Immortal on
    Sincerely Yours,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Immortal
  • Lunar_YetiLunar_Yeti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    lol Navi

Lunar_Yeti on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Post more, I say.

Sublimus on
    edited November 2006
    idleig1.jpg

disturb on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Your stuff pops my rocks. Just draw hands more. You put them on backwards sometimes.

Fugitive on
    edited November 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Ape2001 wrote:
    Pretty plastic.

You've said this before Ape, but I'd like to know, what does it mean?
    I must be dumb, I don't get it at all.

plastic means 'having the quality of three dimensions'

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Plastic soul, man, plastic soul.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited November 2006
    rubber soul

Orikaeshigitae on
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I approve

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Monster Fist's smaller arm looks real... small. Short. It's like his shoulder is a feet lower than it should be.

I think I like that guy catching the bus/train/pole best for some reason. A cool dynamic stuff and you can almost taste the oh-shi!-off-balance.

Well... that and the graveyard camper. :)

DeepQantas on
    m~
    edited November 2006
    vaannw6.jpg
    possible cover idea for magazine. Good? Or should I go on and try a few other things...
    minor update:
    vaaankl2.jpg

disturb on
  • Cola KoalaCola Koala Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like the magazine cover idea... the expressions really do it for me. Needs color ;)

Cola Koala on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    neat style however your myspace page layout is far too busy.
    i don't like myspace to begin with, but if i went to your page, i'd probably just get confused, then angry, then i'd realize i'm getting angry about a myspace page layout and i'd probably laugh.

beavotron on
    edited December 2006
    eh boring magazine design:
    ffreview1copype9.jpg
    and wtf mindless doodlin':
    ohgodwtfau8.jpg

disturb on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Boring or not it makes my want to play FF12

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited December 2006
    evilstephenpy4.jpg
    I have discovered CA Sketcher. And the smudge tool.
    sketcher1zw0.jpg
    twofaceiz9.jpg
    My supersecret pocket sketchbook/journal/novel/lover(wtf)
    cover1re3.jpg
    supersecret1tl5.jpg
    Also I have a haircut appointment coming up. I need a new hairstyle. Suggestions?
    jumpupdownarounddk0.jpg

disturb on
  • EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Go hard, you rebel!

Undercut :lol:

btw what is CA sketcher?

Estilo on
    edited December 2006
    disturb on
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Let it grow for a few months and get dreads.

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • King_CobraKing_Cobra Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    buzz cut!

or mohawk!

King_Cobra on
    edited December 2006
    Doodles. Slowly getting better with digital painting.
    deanqe2.jpg
    kawaiiguymp1.jpg
    batzsj9.jpg
    stumpqy7.jpg
    And I'm finally done with this boring design stuffz:
    cover1copyfo0.jpg
    contentscopyxs6.jpg
    rocket2copyoo4.jpg
    ffreview22copysj1.jpg
    ffreview2copyak4.jpg

disturb on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    sorry if I missed it , but are those magazine designs for fun or do you actually work for a magazine? They're awesome!

McAllen on
  • (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't like the font you used on the magazine. It looks unprofessional and hard to read. You have to read it slowly in order to soak it in.

It's fine on your reviews page, but it's NOT fine on your front cover and contents page.

EDIT: But other then that it looks professional.

EDIT 2: Oh, and those "info" boxes that overlap the picture look like crap. The little light purple ones. Try and fix that.

EDIT 3: And fix your boarders, because right now one side is bigger then the other, and they look lop-sided.

EDIT 4: Heh, I keep remembering things. Make sure your text is alligned properly so it's not directly on the EDGE of the paper, make sure it has enough room for bleed. Make the text go in an inch or so from the edge. Never put it that close to the page. You also have to fix it so words are NEVER left on a new page when there are just two of them. Space them out so the new page starts with a new paragraph or make sure to---I hate explaining things. Take a typography class! Ahhh! It's hard to explain, but you always have to make your text --- uhhh, brb I'm going to make some lunch.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    everything that crunchy said is true.

also, you should make the text fully justified on the right and left, and i'd like to see the text wrap around the curve of the character's arm, not just the bounding box of it.

paulwind on
    edited December 2006
    I had to do it for an Interpersonal Communications class. I was pulling the typography and design out of my ass as I have no training in the matter.

I've already turned it in. But I'll keep what you've said in mind for any future projects and maybe I'll fix up these ones.

disturb on
    edited December 2006
    mathismeanbt9.jpg
    Fucking math.

disturb on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hahaha, nice.

Make sure you get a good score on the SAT or ACT though. Since mine was high enough, I don't have to take a singe math class for my Illustration degree. :D

Sublimus on