As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your favorite characters and why you remember them.

• Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cloud from Final Fantasy.... well from ALL the shit the japs have had him in these days, games, movies, shorts, etc
    Kahlan From Sword of Truth Series .... and sadly the legend of the seeker tv show they have out these days.. the show... not so good, but the actress that plays her actually lives up to the books id say and god damn gorgous

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dog from Half-Life 2. I just get so happy when I see him.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Andrei Bolkonsky. Really there are dozens of relatable characters in War and Peace, but he was always my favorite.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sam Vimes from the Discworld series
    I don't have a deeply analyzed reason, but I feel he's a good role model. At least for me.

Odysseus
    Not only a heroic warrior, but a genius to boot.

Tam on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Coming here from the Star Trek thread, I would have to say Elim Garak. Because god damn.

Who says Tailors can't be awesome?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    This is probs a cliche answer, but I can only hope my reason is original.

Chrono from Chrono Trigger
    He doesn't have a single fucking line of dialogue.

I think, at least.
    He does in one of the hidden endings, although its nothing profound. Crono is also one of my favorite characters. When he died in the game I was crushed.
    And no, I'm not putting spoiler tags around a super popular SNES game.

Then how about putting spoiler tags around a farily new DS that has never been released on any other platform before in a lot of places?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    I don't have a deeply analyzed reason, but I feel he's a good role model. At least for me.

Man after my own heart!

Also Tam as in Tam Al'Thor?

Aridhol on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aridhol wrote: »

Man after my own heart!

Matt spoke more to me. Poor fucker, neck scar n' all.

Also, I want to say Richard With the Temper, but I don't want to get into it with y'all.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Aridhol wrote: »

Man after my own heart!

Tam as in Tam Elbrun or River Tam or Tam O'Shanter

Who's Tam Al'Thor and what is Sarcastro talking about?

Tam on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Duncan Idaho, Gurney Halleck, and Stilgar from Dune. I liked them a lot, and wish I had men like them around me to teach me about life and fighting and stuff.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tyler Durden

f_BradPittFigm_72a854f.jpg

I don't need to go into depth on this one.

And Monkey D. Luffy

Luffy_______000love.png

If I go into this one we'll be here all day.

Godfather on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well some of my two most memorable characters are...

The Doctor, notably the last two from Dr Who, since those are the only two I've seen. Eccentric characters that do as they think is right. Maybe covered more from Deus Ex Machina than other characters but they made the most recent series fun to watch.

The other is well another Dr....House. Who doesn't have the feeling that they'd like to be a complete ass all the time while continually being right? Love the show mostly from his interactions with the other characters more than than the actual plot behind the episode. Really his relationship with Wilson and Cuddy keep the show interesting.

djklay on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Three very memorable characters for me.

Good: Gandalf. Stone cold gangsta stared down a Balrog.

Evil: Aaron the Moor. "Ten thousand worse than ever yet I did Would I perform if I might have my will. If one good deed in all my life I did I do repent it from my very soul."

Grey: Roy Batty. More human THAN human.

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Has no one claimed Rorschach? Because if not, Rorschach

RorschachHeadShot.jpg
    Rorschach is an amazing charector. He is the only person in a world full of grey who
    refuses to compromise for any reason. He's almost universal maligned, sadistic, brutal,
    and often times borderline sociopathic, and yet you find yourself cheering for him. The
    short ginger wearing elevator lift shoes and a creepy mask who's crazier then a snakes
    armpit who only wants to do what is right.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Mandy, Of billy and mandy. I know its dorky of me, but I love her. Her ego, her evilness, her plotting. Even if shes somewhat of a generic construct for a character, I find her unfaltering attitude to be adorable.

Lucille Bluth - I love all the arrested development characters, but I particularly love her. I cant really explain why, something about her underlying motherly qualities skewed by intense, constant inebriation, I guess.

Brock Sampson- I mean, Total badass.

Tetsuo- awesome.

Anton Chigurh- of No country For Old Men. His random acts of violence make him a very interesting, powerful character.

Cyrano de Bergerac - one of the few plays I read in school that I loved, and I adored him as a character.

Iruka on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest pretty much gave us two of the best characters in film, and easily one of the most interesting and well played villains.

McMurphy vs. Ratched just played off of each other so well, one of the better rebel characters in movies and one of the scarier antagonists, both pretty much fight for the souls of everyone in the institution through the entire movie, on top of the clash of ideals and everything else going on that was made so great and so important because of what the characters represented in every way.

Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop was pretty damn good as well, quite a bit of depth (humor, romanticism, badassery, being basically both a good and bad guy) for a character that could have very well been a generic anti-hero stereotype.

Both the officers (Elias and Barnes) in Platoon were quite interesting, but it was mostly because of how they played against each other. Two characters with enough depth and then Taylor to ground it all gave so much insight into the Vietnam war, war in general, and all sides of human nature.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Iruka wrote: »

Tetsuo- awesome.

People keep mentioning Tetsuo, while I think he's a wicked character did anyone ever watch the actors take of him on the re-release of the dvd? The one where Kaneda sounds like Can-ad-a (heh). Oh god, it's terrible. Some surfer dude saying talking like how he thought the character was all power hungry and not acknowledging how he was pretty much the runt of the class, bothered me so much. Watching the subtitles is so much preferable in that version, 'after you turn yourself in would you like to go for tea?' something to that effect when Kaneda asks the main gal out while she's searching for Roy right after they escape from the encampment line.

djklay on
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This guy

cast_tigh9.jpg

I just like his character, that and the fact that he is constantly three seconds away from swearing or drinking something.

Oh, and Godzilla. Anyone who thinks he doesn't count can go fuck themselves, that's how awesome he is. I grew up watching all those movies, over and over and over again.

And finally, Hari Seldon. The very end of Forward the Foundation made me tear up a little bit, just because of all the stuff he went through and the entire story. "Dors!"

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Game character: Kreia from KOTOR II. Arguably the best written female character in any game. I ended up playing my character in order to please her because I was intrigued by the depth of her character and motivation.

Book character: Tenar/Goha from the 4th Earthsea book, Tehanu. It's rare for a fantasy novel to focus on the daily lives of characters who are outwardly powerless. I suppose I empathized with her.

Anime character: Juri Arisugawa from Utena. Outwardly perfect, but marred by an unrequited love for a despicable person. Tragic and sympathetic.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ana Khouri from Revelation Space. A professional soldier on Sky's Edge who is wounded in combat and put in Cryostasis. A clerical error puts her on a starship and she ends up 40 years separated from her husband. Becomes a less than willing mercenary and poses as a gunner for a starship so she can assassinate a man who threatens the human race.

Seriously, Khouri is awesome.

Game characters? Jade from Beyond Good and Evil is probably the most memorable of all time.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh God how did I forget Daniel motherfucking Plainview. What an amazing example of twisted greed and wrath and madness, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that DDL gave one of the best performances of this decade. Every scene is just ridiculous and unnerving and yet so satisfying, his interactions with everyone else are just brilliant.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No love for Al Swearengen? And there are so many characters in Deadwood that I love - mainly because they're extremely well written and acted. But Al is obviously one of the most consistently fantastic characters... the kind of guy that Shakespeare would have been proud to have written.

Then there's Fitz from Cracker. I'd love to put him and Greg House in a room and see what happens. Yes, some of the episodes where he's right in an all-too-facile way are sub-par, but by and large he's one of the most memorable characters in the genre.

Ash in Alien. One of the most chilling characters, and played to perfection by Ian Holm. "You have my sympathies." Shudder.

And an odd one: Calvin's mother (from Calvin & Hobbes). I love the undercurrent of weary sarcasm that she's got, and I wouldn't mind ending up with someone like her. Without the kid, I'd hope. :)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    And an odd one: Calvin's mother (from Calvin & Hobbes). I love the undercurrent of weary sarcasm that she's got, and I wouldn't mind ending up with someone like her. Without the kid, I'd hope. :)

"Hey, Mom! Dad fixed something!"

"He DID? Your DAD?"

Nova_C on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lady eboshi. Also, clytamnestra. Also, president rosalin.

I like my women large and in fucking charge.

MrMister on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

"Hey, Mom! Dad fixed something!"

"He DID? Your DAD?"

In a similar vein, I love Calvin's dad. A loving husband and father and an idealistic dreamer so beaten down by workaday suburban drudgery that he has to get his kicks out of teasing his son with elaborate lies.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Jade from Beyond Good and Evil is probably the most memorable of all time.

Damnit you beat me. But lets not forget about Pey'j. The only problem with his character is...
    ... you don't get to see him for much of the game. Which is a shame as I liked him way more than Double H.

Woof was cool too. :P

Lets see... Other favourite characters...

Hannibal from the books by Thomas Harris. So goddamn disturbing and yet somehow believable.

V from 'V for Vendetta' (the movie; I haven't actually read the graphic novel, though I'd like to). His wit and dialogue, the complexity of his character and his seemingly genuine motivation (as well as his ability to kick ass) made me seriously connect with him.

Iorek Byrnison from the 'His Dark Materials' series by Phillip Pullman (not the crap movie adaptation). A strong but noble character, my favourite from the books.

No Face from 'Spirited Away'. Just 'cause.

Flay on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Doc Holliday as in Tombstone: For one bit of dialog with Turkey Creek Johnson

"Why you doing all this, Doc?"

"Wyatt Earp is my friend."

"Hell, I got lots of friends"

"I don't."

That and, "You know, Frederich Fucking Chopan"

I'm more partial to Mal from Firefly, for a lot of reasons.

McNulty from The Wire, is another one, for his chat with Bunk from Season Two where he reveals how miserable he is when he feels like his of no use to anyone on the boat.

Lester Freamon too, for his conversation with McNulty the next season about how the Job won't save him.

Deadpool, because of using the Hammer of Thor to order 37 Gorditas.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Hero of Canton, the man they call, Jayne.

The loyal mercenary, the honorable traitor...the funny son-of-a-bitch.

Oh god yes, has there ever been a better episode in any freaking show? I was grinning from ear to ear throughout the entire experience.

My favorite character bar none, in any medium, is definitely Joe Hallenbeck. You cannot come close to the amount of badass oneliners, the movie is one big punchline and I love it:
    Alley Thug: Wrong place, wrong time. Nothing personal.
    Joe Hallenbeck: That's what you think. Last night I fucked your wife.
    Alley Thug: Oh you did, hah? How'd you know it was my wife?
    Joe Hallenbeck: She said her husband was a big pimp lookin' motherfucker with a hat.
    Alley Thug: Oh, you're real cool for somebody who's about to take a bullet.
    Joe Hallenbeck: After fucking your wife I'll take two.

Honorary mention:

hk-47banner.jpg

How can anyone not love this deliciously evil piece of machinery? By far the best character in the game, and very high up there counting all the games I've ever played. Discovering more about his story was almost more interesting than the rest of the game (which says a lot, since the plot twist is probably among my favorite ones in any game).

Paragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh man good call on Joe Hallenbeck, what an underrated movie. Better Bruce Willis than any incarnation of John McClane.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    Tyler the GreatTyler the Great Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    Tony fucking Soprano- subtle yet operatic. Regal yet thoroughly buffoonish. Genuinely loving and dignified yet a common thief to the core. (One thing that I really loved was the end of season 5 where he runs like a thief in an old farcical comedy. For all the ritual and sprawling hierarchy in his world, the king still has to run faster than his body can carry him from the law. The intensity of everything the guy went through was so palpable- you could be completely drawn in yet also simultaneously visualize the Falstaff, the decadent caricature of greed.
    Now I'll go into spoilerish territory-
    For all the guy's successes- rising up in the world, maneuvering through all kinds of damning situations and ultimately overcoming all his adversaries in one way or another and maintaining his spot on the top against the odds-for all of that he's paid way more than it's worth. His power causes him to be unable to separate any form of personal greed, even when he wrecks his marriage, which he doesn't actually want to- he just can't not take what he wants in life. Call it obsessive compulsive, whatever. It's different from the others who cheat because they don't give a shit- he genuinely wants to be a better husband than the rest of them, and apart from the philandering he sort of is, but what's the point? His virtue as a loyal friend is gone to shit when he's forced to murder the people he was closest to- well it's more accurate to say he was forced to the first few times, and then he started choosing to do so. And finally, the nail in the coffin, it seeps over into his family and kids. Everyone in his family suffers both emotionally and arguably through the decay of their character/morality, which is all at some level caused by how Tony chooses to live his life- his son's emotional paralysis (caused repeatedly by his parents repeatedly finding some elaborate way to buy him off when they fuck up) and his final descent into family connections-mediocrity, Meadow's inability despite all her progress to become a part of the world outside the community she's born into and tainted by (the Vito thing kills her last relationship and ends her onetime rejection of the values that come with being in the mob) and Carmela, a sweet well intentioned woman turned bitter and conniving due to being jerked around (and from the power lust that almost certainly flows in from Tony) That's what makes him truly tragic- that what he holds most dear he loses. He tries to make it so he doesn't have to choose but he does, again and again. It's funny at times (cokehead christopher) and tragic at others but it keeps happening. Even if Tony didn't end the series with a shadow of his former organization left and looking at a very real possibility of going to jail on major charges, he was still fucked all along.

wow i hope someone reads that sorry if its incoherent

I guess you missed
    that he is dead

Tyler the Great on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    Tony fucking Soprano- subtle yet operatic. Regal yet thoroughly buffoonish. Genuinely loving and dignified yet a common thief to the core. (One thing that I really loved was the end of season 5 where he runs like a thief in an old farcical comedy. For all the ritual and sprawling hierarchy in his world, the king still has to run faster than his body can carry him from the law. The intensity of everything the guy went through was so palpable- you could be completely drawn in yet also simultaneously visualize the Falstaff, the decadent caricature of greed.
    Now I'll go into spoilerish territory-
    For all the guy's successes- rising up in the world, maneuvering through all kinds of damning situations and ultimately overcoming all his adversaries in one way or another and maintaining his spot on the top against the odds-for all of that he's paid way more than it's worth. His power causes him to be unable to separate any form of personal greed, even when he wrecks his marriage, which he doesn't actually want to- he just can't not take what he wants in life. Call it obsessive compulsive, whatever. It's different from the others who cheat because they don't give a shit- he genuinely wants to be a better husband than the rest of them, and apart from the philandering he sort of is, but what's the point? His virtue as a loyal friend is gone to shit when he's forced to murder the people he was closest to- well it's more accurate to say he was forced to the first few times, and then he started choosing to do so. And finally, the nail in the coffin, it seeps over into his family and kids. Everyone in his family suffers both emotionally and arguably through the decay of their character/morality, which is all at some level caused by how Tony chooses to live his life- his son's emotional paralysis (caused repeatedly by his parents repeatedly finding some elaborate way to buy him off when they fuck up) and his final descent into family connections-mediocrity, Meadow's inability despite all her progress to become a part of the world outside the community she's born into and tainted by (the Vito thing kills her last relationship and ends her onetime rejection of the values that come with being in the mob) and Carmela, a sweet well intentioned woman turned bitter and conniving due to being jerked around (and from the power lust that almost certainly flows in from Tony) That's what makes him truly tragic- that what he holds most dear he loses. He tries to make it so he doesn't have to choose but he does, again and again. It's funny at times (cokehead christopher) and tragic at others but it keeps happening. Even if Tony didn't end the series with a shadow of his former organization left and looking at a very real possibility of going to jail on major charges, he was still fucked all along.

wow i hope someone reads that sorry if its incoherent

I guess you missed
    that he is dead

Umm I think that's pretty far off from being definitely what happened. It's open to interpretation but there isn't a lot to support that.
    Oh God how did I forget Daniel motherfucking Plainview. What an amazing example of twisted greed and wrath and madness, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that DDL gave one of the best performances of this decade. Every scene is just ridiculous and unnerving and yet so satisfying, his interactions with everyone else are just brilliant.

This, plus Bill "The Butcher" Cutting. The rest of the movie is okay, but I'd watch it again and again just for Bill the Butcher. Fucking brilliant.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There is a lot to support it.

Tyler the Great on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There is a lot to support it.

...like?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    http://alessonaday.wordpress.com/2007/06/15/sopranos-finale-analysis-of-final-scene/

its all right there. Sometimes you have to look a little bit deeper than just the literal interpretation. It was all pretty clear when it aired, and completely fits with Chase's style.

Also, keep in mind that Chase is a huge Scorsese fan. This quote is from Goodfellas.
    “For a second I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise, I knew they were cops, only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn’t have heard a thing. I would have been dead.”

Then remember when Bobby says
    “You never even hear it when it happens, do you?”

Now, here is chase's quote about the ending.
    “If you look at the final episode really carefully, it's all there."

Its pretty clear as long as you have a brain that connect dots.

Tyler the Great on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

"THIS! IS! NOT! MY! COW!"

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ellen Ripley

Aliens-Weaver_l.jpg

One of the most enduring pop-culture heroes in science fiction, and action films in general.

As for villains, I'm torn because there are some really great villains I love who are absolutely and irredeemably evil and they can be great (like Kefka and Jon Irenicus). But my favorite right now is the seminal film villain The Wicked Witch of the West:

Witch4.JPG

Who was a pretty neat villain in her own right. But what makes her my favorite is the way that Gregory Maguire reinvented the character so completely. I was a childhood fan of the OZ books, and I was deeply skeptical when I started reading Wicked, but ultimately the complicated Elphaba became completely real to me. Baum's Wicked Witch of the West now seems like slander to me in a way.

Idina_Menzel.jpg

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    MORPHEUSMORPHEUS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This guy, since he was mostly the center of attention in the Clone Wars comic. Plus, he was the only who figured that there was a second Sith.
    469px-Quinlan.jpg

MORPHEUS on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of cool villains, General Grievous was pretty damn awesome until Episode 3 came out.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

"THIS! IS! NOT! MY! COW!"

that's one of my favorite funny moments

My biggest OH SHIT moment for Sam was in Thud!

the context of the line

"I am the Guarding Dark"

Tam on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009