As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do you want to do with your life, SE++?

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    people are so fucking stupid
    i will be happy if i can make it through my life without being fucking retarded.

beavotron on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    See, in high school I got hella good grades and people were always telling me I was so best and one day I was gonna be real successful and shit, and I was like "I am just doing very slightly above average, I just look good cause everyone else at the school is subpar!"

and now that I'm out in college, and soon to be the real world, I realize that I'm not really great at any one thing

there is no single thing that when people think "who is good at x?" they realize that "oh yeah, Graham is good at x" (for that is my name)

I do not have a thing, I am just sort of here, doing stuff

I have no passion for anything I'm doing right now! I have to force myself to give a shit about school, I don't have any hobbies that I really give a damn about, I don't feel at home in the city where I go to school or the town where I went to high school and where my family still lives

I don't care about anything, and it sucks

Just do what I did. Drop out of university, work a dead end job for a year and realise that that's all you've got ahead of you for the rest of your life if you don't get some kind of qualification, and discover untapped depths of passion for not being an abject failure at any cost. Then return to university and try and do it properly this time.

Butler on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I want this economic collapse to throw us into some Mad Max shit so I can be like Mad Max

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Drunk PooroDrunk Pooro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I think that drunks are the most optimistic people in the world

They're the one constantly going, "Yeah, shit sucks now. But it's gonna be better when I wake up."

That is pretty dang optimistic.

Drunk Pooro on
    poorooas.gif
  • Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butler wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    See, in high school I got hella good grades and people were always telling me I was so best and one day I was gonna be real successful and shit, and I was like "I am just doing very slightly above average, I just look good cause everyone else at the school is subpar!"

and now that I'm out in college, and soon to be the real world, I realize that I'm not really great at any one thing

there is no single thing that when people think "who is good at x?" they realize that "oh yeah, Graham is good at x" (for that is my name)

I do not have a thing, I am just sort of here, doing stuff

I have no passion for anything I'm doing right now! I have to force myself to give a shit about school, I don't have any hobbies that I really give a damn about, I don't feel at home in the city where I go to school or the town where I went to high school and where my family still lives

I don't care about anything, and it sucks

Just do what I did. Drop out of university, work a dead end job for a year and realise that that's all you've got ahead of you for the rest of your life if you don't get some kind of qualification, and discover untapped depths of passion for not being an abject failure at any cost. Then return to university and try and do it properly this time.

Wow.

Replace a year with 3ish and that's what I'm shooting for this fall.

Darkness Mundus on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know what I want to do, that's why I'm at University.

bongi on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    I don't know what I want to do, that's why I'm at University.
    butts, bongi, you want to do butts.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In my defense I was completely fucking burned out at the end of 2007.

As to what I would like to do: Finish my Genetics BSc, get a job somewhere in the ballpark of what I was studying, which I can fit in with an Honours project, complete a doctorate, become a tenured professor.

Ideally I'd like to crotch-rock the face of science as we know it in the process, but really as long as I can make some modest contributions to human knowledge I'll be happy.

Butler on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Right now I'm working towards being an actor or director. I have a ton of college theater experience, and I've even had a few paid gigs (for acting and directing, woo). I'm trying to make the transition to full-time actor, but it's kind of a big cliff I'll be stepping off of, I've got a pretty secure, decently paying job right now. But, I'm taking an acting class, got some headshots made, getting them printed up, reading Stanislavski and Uta Hagen, just getting all kinds of ready. Bought a camera and tripod, maybe make some short films if I can come up with some good ideas.

Alternate career if that doesn't work out: Go to law school, become an intellectual property lawyer. I took the lsat last year, got a 160, but decided that I'd be happier trying to be an actor, even if I don't get paid as much. Maybe try for judgeship at some point.

Alternate alternate career - stick with where I am, computer programming. Maybe try to make a game or something.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    alright duders

I just got back from the dentist, had a wisdom tooth pulled

it SUCKED
    I couldn't afford anything other than the free local anesthesia so it was kinda painful and hells of uncomfortable

it was a lot of pushing my tooth around and cutting a little and then ripping it out with forceps, it was hells of surreal. Like if someone drugged you up so you couldn't really feel most of the pain but could still feel pressure and slowly pulled your arm off. You sit there thinking "hey now you are doing something should you be doing it I dunno man wooah"

I am apparently immune to vicodin, it seems
    so he gave me percocet, which he told me to take a double of every 4 hours or as needed for pain

which isn't doing a whole lot. I might have to go back and get something stronger

what the FUCK why am I immune to painkillers

work on monday, I need the money so I hope I can go sans painkillers, as I'm not allowed to work on them

he SAYS I should get the other 3 out
    but at 250 a pop I think I'll wait it out seeing as though they're not giving me any problems
    especially the top 2, his reasoning was "hey if they keep growing they'll touch your lower gums and infect them.. somehow"

but overall, wasn't a TERRIBLE experience, I can think of a million more things worse
    and apparently 250 total for a consult, xray, extraction and follow up is a sweet deal

Raneados on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That is a sweet deal.

When I got all four out at once I was laid up for three bleary awful days. Eat pudding.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    run a college or university and make pretty good bank while also helping people thereby get an education and pull this country out of the shitter hopefully

redfenix on
    edited February 2009
    I'd like to go into journalism or become a published writer of some persuasion, but I know better then to bank on that so I'm ready to work in a cubicle until I die.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was gonna spend this weekend either

1) sleeping and playing xbox

2) going to see my mom. this one looks less likely every hour. I'd rather be in pain here than there. Maybe I could sell my leftover vicodin to my little brother

how much could I get for like 15 vicodin

Raneados on
    edited February 2009
    What strength are they? If they're 3.5/500mg then they're worth like two or three bucks. Percoset is worth more.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    they're 7.5/750

Raneados on
    edited February 2009
    Those're the nice ones and you could sell those for at least five dollars a pop.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited February 2009
    5 dollars a PILL

oh my godddddddddddd yesssssss

Raneados on
    edited February 2009
    I mean, the average person only really needs two of those to get dicked up. I'd take about three and be more then be good for like six hours.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    here's one I prepared earlier

in 2018 I hope to be the owner of a small design studio staffed by people much more talented than me, swooping in twice a week to talk shit with my employees and art direct a photoshoot for a big name band album cover, spending most of my time looking after my son and daughter while my wife rehearses for an upcoming symphony.

in 2018 I will probably be a midweight mac-monkey, working at a local newspaper with a boss like Jonah Jameson, going home nightly to look at photos of my wife and ask myself why she had to kill herself 6 months after our wedding.

Jesus Christ, Pipe!

sarukun on
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2009
    pipe I think you just depressed the pain in my jaw away

how did you do that

are you a wizard

Raneados on
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I want to end up writing for a major network television show, or author of a reasonably successful series of novels. Alternatively, playing trumpet in a successful swing band.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    it was a lot of pushing my tooth around and cutting a little and then ripping it out with forceps, it was hells of surreal. Like if someone drugged you up so you couldn't really feel most of the pain but could still feel pressure and slowly pulled your arm off. You sit there thinking "hey now you are doing something should you be doing it I dunno man wooah"

ha haa, I know this feeling. When I was younger I had some of my front teeth out, not my canines, but right next to them, they were all smushed together (this is why now, I don't need to have my wisdom teeth out, it left enough space). They gave me gas and local anesthetic, but I woke up before they really got started. Yeah, it's a really bizarre feeling to hear the crack of the nerve endings and feel the tooth being pulled out, but not hurt at all.

I still have those teeth in a drawer somewhere, actually. I should do something with them. Make a necklace.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know what I want to do!

Well, I have lots of ideas but I don't really have the decisiveness or the personal motivation to buckle down and choose something.

Sometimes I wish that I could hire someone to make my decisions for me.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited February 2009

Well, I have lots of ideas but I don't really have the decisiveness or the personal motivation to buckle down and choose something.

Bottle of scotch a day and I'm yours.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    hot diggity damn i read too much achewood today

it is straight up leakin' into my vernacular

This basically happens to me all of the time.

sarukun on
    edited February 2009
    What kind of quality of scotch are we talking?

Centipede Damascus on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

buy a magic eightball

BAM

next question

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just want to keep making interesting things

stuff

I love making stuff

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited February 2009

Look, I'm going to level with you. I don't know the first thing about scotch.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2009
    I want to become a cop, eventually I think I'll get into fingerprint analysis

beyond that no real plan

oh and I want a border collie

Raneados on
    edited February 2009
    vsove wrote: »

And yet you want me to trust you with my decisions!

Centipede Damascus on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm in a kind of "spiral pointlessly towards inevitable oblivion" kind of mood today.

I'll get back to this thread once I've heard back from law schools

fuck me I have to do my FAFSA, stat.

MrMonroe on
    edited February 2009
    god i am reading through my banning aftermath thread

its fun for like 3 pages at a time and then it segues into broing things

though seriously laughing at the amount of venom some people have for me, just goddamn

You can be kind of a dick.

But yeah, it was kind of shocking, actually.

sarukun on
    edited February 2009
    vsove wrote: »

And yet you want me to trust you with my decisions!

Look, as long as your decisions don't involve scotch I see nothing wrong with this arrangement.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2009
    I still feel good about not voting in that poll.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited February 2009
    I want to create worlds for people to make video games out of.

And write some books.

sarukun on