As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roleplay at PAX

iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in PAX Archive
OK... I'm fully aware that there's an entire area of the event dedicated to RPG.

That aside, I would really like to get a game set up with at least 12 players that we have defined down to the letter before PAX starts. We can show up, have some killer sessions between event activities planned and in the end, either continue online until next PAX or just have a whirlwind gaming adventure to culminate at the end of PAX.

All we need are a maximum of 12 players and a GM. 13 seats total.

I'll volunteer to GM if no one else prefers it as long as I know the system.

We'd need to establish EVERYTHING: The game system, house rules, player responsibilities, campaign, meeting times/locations, etc...

OH and BTW: there doesn't have to be just one game... I only thought to propose one since I can only handle GMing 12 or so people.

Thoughts? Objections? Am I totally out of my gourd here?

--
ETA.Confidence
EscapeTheAsylum.com
iamconfidence on

• Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gonna be a huge hassle to get that many people all free at the same times during PAX. Other then that I'm sure you can find a free play table to take over.

North on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    :) Not that I disagree, but you never know until you try.

Besides, even if it ends up settling at less than 12 players or people bail... any more than 3 players with a solid game plan would be worth pursuing. It could be epic fun.

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Options
    MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is the RPG-dedicated area free to enter (thus making a freeplay table a better option for you), or is it like BYOC where you need to pay for space?

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Formerly it was open. I'm not entirely sure if an area/table can be requested or reserved and furthermore I guess I really can't say rather it's going to continue being open or not.

That's a good question to have answered. Thanks for the thought.

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Options
    MarzGurlMarzGurl Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm more than game to participate. What system are we using? DnD? 3.5, 4th, etc? BESM? Hell, I don't care, I'll just play.

MarzGurl on
    http://www.marzgurlproductions.com - Your Convention Video is On the Way!
    Also find me at http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com !
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'll tell you what I really would rather not play. :)

4th edition DnD and GURPS are the only 2 systems I'd prefer to avoid. 4th ed is really MMO-esque and it disappoints me deeply in many ways personally... so yeah, my low opinion of it sort of detracts from my desire to play it. ;)

GURPS is sort of guilty of the opposite really and although I really quite like it, it can be hard to make a solid go at it even under the best circumstances.

I actually play a lot of 3.5 (and d20 games in general) and have played Rune quest, 1st and 2nd edition DnD, Shadowrun, Rifts, Anima, Serenity... yeah... I'm sure there are more but it sounds like i'm bragging and I'm really just trying to say that I've experienced enough variety to figure out a system if we decide on one that I'm not particularly good at.

Even then, I'm assuming I'll be GM and that's not even really necessary. :) I love to play, I just rarely get to so it's easy for me to assume the role of GM.

Anything you feel up for MarzGurl?

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Options
    MarzGurlMarzGurl Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like 3.5 rules, myself, with a classic fantasy story.

Also, are we starting at any particular level, or just from a basic level 1 roll-up?

As soon as we get the basics figured out, I can start rolling a character and thinking up a back story. :D

MarzGurl on
    http://www.marzgurlproductions.com - Your Convention Video is On the Way!
    Also find me at http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com !
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    K well, since we've made it upwards of at least 3 readers on the thread... :P

I would love to establish more details and since It seems beneficial to at least lay some groundwork, we can begin establishing "do" and "do not" for the game.

Let's start with choices that are the most general.

1. We should choose fantasy or sci-fi as a general starting point for building the game

2. We should choose rather or not we wish to begin advanced in a story or at the very beginning

and we'll progress from there. :D

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Options
    doctaotsudoctaotsu Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    So... tabletop RPG's are pretty much up for grabs? Just a big room with first come, first served tables?

doctaotsu on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Roleplay at PAX

I put on my robe and wizard hat.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    LOL @ That_Guy

Okay, my apologies.

I've been stupid busy with school :) I will get some measure of my thoughts up very soon

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    OK...

So here's starters and we'll change them as people object to my packaging.

Fantasy setting

either we use RuneQuest and a custom based on Raymond E. Fiest's books or one that I've wholly made
    or we use DND 3.5 rules and play in either Forgotten Realms or DragonLance.

12 players for my game I think.

Once we get some seats filled and some notion of what people are going to agree upon for game setting, I'll contact whomever I may to try and secure some space either via the game play area in RPG or we'll establish a good solid meeting place for our private use. :)

I'd be down for a packaged DnD 3.5 Forgotten Realms game. I can DM one of those games practically without preparing a lick. RuneQuest would be fun though and playing in Midkemia with that rule system would be a blast I think... Might take some tweaking.

Thoughts?

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
This discussion has been closed.