As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wii Hunt Info Thread.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    BlackDog85 wrote:
    Well, here's the deal:

If you're not incredibly lucky, don't even bother looking for a Wii right now. Swear to Christ, I just got back from going to Best Buy as soon as they opened. I run in, look around, ask a guy when their last shipment was...yesterday, noon.

I've gone to that place as soon as they've opened for the last three days, and they get a motherfucking shipment in at noon.

Target was no better, as they got a shipment in around 3pm yesterday; I was IN the store at 3:10, and there was nothing, a minor indicator of how fast they go if you don't happen to be in the right place at the right time.

And don't bother with the tracking sites, either; EB and those stores don't update their online inventory fast enough to let you know if they're in stock in time, and the other stores are just total crap shoots. Only use them to track shipment rumors, I guess.

In summary: fuck this, I quit.

Amazon is supposed to be throwing them up sometime in the next couple hours. Site camping is much easier than store camping I would imagine ;)

which is why thousands of people are probably sitting at their browsers right now hitting refresh constantly :/

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Good luck with that. I would imagine it will be a lot like sniping an auction on eBay with as fast as they're going to go.

Aoi on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm sure this is fairly common knowledge around these parts, but I feel that it warrants mentioning again.

When slamming F5 on Amazon's Wii page, make sure that you're going to the https:// site rather than the http://. Most people won't be checking their secure servers and they get updated at the same time.

Back when they did the "1,000 360s for $100" thing, I know two people who got them by using the https:// site instead of the http://.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    Good luck with that. I would imagine it will be a lot like sniping an auction on eBay with as fast as they're going to go.

It just went from "In stock soon" to "Out of stock" with the refresh of a page.

Stinks.

Edit: Wait a second, now it says they'll be in stock soon sometime today.

Odd.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm still seeing the "We will be selling some between 7am and 11am PST on our site on friday" message even after clearing my cache, restarting my browser, etc, so maybe it was a fluke - I don't think they actually put any up yet.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    Aoi wrote:

It just went from "In stock soon" to "Out of stock" with the refresh of a page.

Stinks.

It's actually been doing that for the past hour. It says it'll be going on sale between those times, then says it is sold out, then goes back to the will be going on sale message again. I honestly think Amazon is screwing with people.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ronen wrote:
    I'm sure this is fairly common knowledge around these parts, but I feel that it warrants mentioning again.

When slamming F5 on Amazon's Wii page, make sure that you're going to the https:// site rather than the http://. Most people won't be checking their secure servers and they get updated at the same time.

Back when they did the "1,000 360s for $100" thing, I know two people who got them by using the https:// site instead of the http://.

thank goodness for amazon's one-click feature then :)

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Page is updated with:

Note to those purchasing a console: Due to the unique nature of this product and the handling required, the promised shipping date may not be accurate. While we expect that most units purchased will ship within the next week, the date indicated immediately after completing your purchase may reflect a different ship date. We encourage you to be patient and check back later.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Delicious DrinkDelicious Drink Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    I picked up my Wii from Target yesterday. They had 28 in. From PS3seeker, Target apparently has a constant stream of Wii's coming in from the 27th-Jan 1st. Go NOW, and try to go to a smaller city. Mine had them all day.

Delicious Drink on
    <Wii Code!>
    6480 4623 9120 1708
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    Page is updated with:

Note to those purchasing a console: Due to the unique nature of this product and the handling required, the promised shipping date may not be accurate. While we expect that most units purchased will ship within the next week, the date indicated immediately after completing your purchase may reflect a different ship date. We encourage you to be patient and check back later.

I just saw that too. Heh, so basically it sounds like they're actually doing pre-orders, not actual sales.

And now THAT has vanished.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    wtf?:
    Amazon.com wrote:
    We are currently out of stock: We sold out of our initial supply of the Wii on Sunday morning, November 19, in less than one minute. We expect to receive periodic shipments of the Wii from Nintendo throughout the holidays and we will post availability updates in this section of the product detail page as well as in the customer discussions below.

either Amazon's database is out of whack, or there are some sick, peverted BOFHs.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    Scott_CameronScott_Cameron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    wtf?:
    Amazon.com wrote:
    We are currently out of stock: We sold out of our initial supply of the Wii on Sunday morning, November 19, in less than one minute. We expect to receive periodic shipments of the Wii from Nintendo throughout the holidays and we will post availability updates in this section of the product detail page as well as in the customer discussions below.

either Amazon's database is out of whack, or there are some sick, peverted BOFHs.

It seems to say that randomally every couple of refresh's.

Scott_Cameron on
    Young+Scott.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    wtf?:
    Amazon.com wrote:

The page has been doing that for over an hour now, back and forth between that and the "We'll be selling them today" message, and now there is an above message that has also come and gone about shipping times.

Aoi on
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    wombat wrote:
    btw Wii bundle on toysrus right now

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585649

539 for wii + Call of Duty 3, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Zelda Twilight Princess, and Madden NFL '07.

quote for those who may not have seen this

still in stock

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    Red*PandaRed*Panda Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I called multiple stores yesterday to hear "we had about 6 in this morning and they all sold out within 10 minutes" we will probably have more after the first of the year. You should probably call every morning just to check.

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    KingSpikeKingSpike Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Can you call and cancel some of the games for the Toys R Us Bundle like you can with Wal-mart? Awfully tempting if you can...

KingSpike on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just pulled the Quadruple run in 25 minutes:

Best Buy, Toys R Us, Circuit City and Target.

They all had none.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    precisionk wrote:

They all had none.

that was me yesterday.. only to be told that right after they got them in they were gone. it all comes down to right place at the right time.

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Red*Panda wrote:
    precisionk wrote:

They all had none.

that was me yesterday.. only to be told that right after they got them in they were gone. it all comes down to right place at the right time.

I totally agree. I remember getting my 360 by just walking into Walmart and they had a few premiums.

I seriously need an inside man at one of these places.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    precisionk wrote:
    Red*Panda wrote:
    precisionk wrote:

They all had none.

I totally agree. I remember getting my 360 by just walking into Walmart and they had a few premiums.

I seriously need an inside man at one of these places.

we got our 360 on new years eve last year. I heard from a walmart manager that all walmarts were getting some that night and putting them out. I called one store that said they were not getting any, I figured she told everyone this and nobody would go down there. Lo and behold I go down there and there they are.

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It just showed "Add to shopping cart" and "buy with 1 click ordering." So I clicked One Click (and add to cart on another page, just in case) and it said "This item is not available at this time." But the main Wii page doesn't say it's sold out, so I think they were just testing it.

KingSpike on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Damn.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    KingSpike wrote:
    It just showed "Add to shopping cart" and "buy with 1 click ordering." So I clicked One Click (and add to cart on another page, just in case) and it said "This item is not available at this time." But the main Wii page doesn't say it's sold out, so I think they were just testing it.

Between that stuff and the whole "We don't know when the hell we'll be sending them out" messages that keep coming and going, I'm thinking that I would rather stay away from Amazon. This is just way too haphazard for my taste.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    KingSpike wrote:

Between that stuff and the whole "We don't know when the hell we'll be sending them out" messages that keep coming and going, I'm thinking that I would rather stay away from Amazon. This is just way too haphazard for my taste.

True, but with the luck I've had hunting for one out in the wild, even if I get it in a week or two I'll at least know I'm getting one.

KingSpike on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    KingSpike wrote:

I agree I can see myself buying one then waiting and waiting untill they eventually get some in to ship it out. *me calling to complain only to be told that the site explained that the shipping was not guaranteed*

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    KingSpike wrote:

It looks to be down again. This whole thing screams of getting double charged or orders lost because the system is overloaded. I really am not sure if this is worth it at this point.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    this is my new fave refresh page that comes up:

Attention: We are currently out of stock. Allocations of the Wii have been limited but we are working with Nintendo to secure future allocations. We will provide updates on the product detail page as well as in the customer discussions on this page when we have availability.

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Red*Panda wrote:

Attention: We are currently out of stock. Allocations of the Wii have been limited but we are working with Nintendo to secure future allocations. We will provide updates on the product detail page as well as in the customer discussions on this page when we have availability.

They must be messing around with the system. I have been refreshing constantly for the last two hours.

Scott_Cameron on
    Young+Scott.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hmm, so are they all gone already? What, did they have like 20?
    Ah well.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bolthorn wrote:
    Hmm, so are they all gone already? What, did they have like 20?
    Ah well.

looks like it, the only page I get now is the out of stock page.

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Red*Panda wrote:

I am only getting that page when I refresh now.

Shens on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Red*Panda wrote:

That one actually seems to be sticking.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    just like in the real stores it seems I was to slow.. how depressing

it looks like I may just give up and wait untill Jan or Feb when they are available everywhere.

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Absolutely pathetic. Most of us here have been refreshing for the past 2 and a half hours constant, and not one of us got to see it in stock? Did they have like 10 of them?

Scott_Cameron on
    Young+Scott.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Absolutely pathetic. Most of us here have been refreshing for the past 2 and a half hours constant, and not one of us got to see it in stock? Did they have like 10 of them?

I actually saw it as, "In Stock." Unfortunately, it didn't let me add it to my cart. It would just bring up a message saying it is not available.

On another note, a refresh I just did gave me a, "Wii Available for Purchase 12/29: The Nintendo Wii will again be available for purchase on Amazon.com on 12/29, Friday morning, at some point between 7am and 11am PST. We will be limiting purchases to one per household. We anticipate that we will sell through our inventory very quickly as demand for this product continues to be very high. At this time, we do not have any information on future Nintendo Wii offers, but we will post updates on future availability on this page."

There is still hope?

Shens on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I got this again randomly.. wow this is so much fun....

Wii Available for Purchase 12/29: The Nintendo Wii will again be available for purchase on Amazon.com on 12/29, Friday morning, at some point between 7am and 11am PST. We will be limiting purchases to one per household. We anticipate that we will sell through our inventory very quickly as demand for this product continues to be very high. At this time, we do not have any information on future Nintendo Wii offers, but we will post updates on future availability on this page.

Red*Panda on
    redpandasmall.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shens wrote:

I actually saw it as, "In Stock." Unfortunately, it didn't let me add it to my cart. It would just bring up a message saying it is not available.

That's what happened to me. I've also seen the pre-12/29 message about how they sold out on Nov 19th. It switches from a couple different messages, but mostly it's the out of stock message now.

KingSpike on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so...are there any chances of me being able to walk into a store at my leisure and pick one of these up (without missing work for three days planning a strategy with two friends) in the next month or two?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Lew ZealandLew Zealand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Red*Panda wrote:
    A mock-up of what a Wii-centric Wavebird would look like made by IGN. It's as real as the Zelda sword and shield controller.

Lew Zealand on
This discussion has been closed.