As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wii Hunt Info Thread.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icemopper wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:
    it isn't like they're all sitting in some warehouse in Podunk.

No, there sitting in some asshole's house in La Crosse.

I feel for ya Absolute, and if you find his address I'll be there with a bat.

What is sad is I can tell when more Wiis have shipped because the number of auctions in La Crosse alone just explodes.

I am tempted to just camp out at like Target or something, buy out their entire stock of Wii the second it arrives, and then sell them myself for no more than the receipt price + shipping. It wouldn't cost me anything aside from time and energy... I'd just really like to burn some eBay scalper ass.
    Playing God is a dangerous game.
    Yeah, but you know he'd be able to sell 'em all here at the very least. I'd buy one.

But how are they allowed to buy more than one? I thought the limit on each store was one per customer. 14 is just obscene.

I'm assuming that person is a manager or something

It could go either way, really. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the employees just don't give a shit about the one per customer rule. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if some employee (or manager) was snapping them all up to resell themselves. The receipts tacked to the boxes all appear to be Target receipts... if that is any indication of what is going on here. Perhaps Target doesn't have a one-per-customer policy? I have a feeling that is the case, and would be my choice for camping out to burn eBay scalper ass. Man it would be like auction sniping, only in real life, and backwards kinda.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icemopper wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

What is sad is I can tell when more Wiis have shipped because the number of auctions in La Crosse alone just explodes.

I am tempted to just camp out at like Target or something, buy out their entire stock of Wii the second it arrives, and then sell them myself for no more than the receipt price + shipping. It wouldn't cost me anything aside from time and energy... I'd just really like to burn some eBay scalper ass.
    Yeah, but you know he'd be able to sell 'em all here at the very least. I'd buy one.

But how are they allowed to buy more than one? I thought the limit on each store was one per customer. 14 is just obscene.

It could go either way, really. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the employees just don't give a shit about the one per customer rule. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if some employee (or manager) was snapping them all up to resell themselves. The receipts tacked to the boxes all appear to be Target receipts... if that is any indication of what is going on here. Perhaps Target doesn't have a one-per-customer policy? I have a feeling that is the case, and would be my choice for camping out to burn eBay scalper ass. Man it would be like auction sniping, only in real life, and backwards kinda.

i mean, i know most places probably dont care...but i think if i owned a store id be sort of annoyed if one of my employees was buying my stock and reselling it at a larger profit. unless he has a sack of cash to throw down, wouldnt a red flag go up somewhere?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Icemopper wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

If the receipts are from target, contact target customer service, get an email address and show them the picture. Complain your ass off until they do something. What that something is is up to you.

I know Target doesn't have that high enough of presence in that area for someone to get that many Wii's.

Veevee on
  • Options
    LurkerLurker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Langly wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Lurker wrote:
    I hate to say it, but I really wonder how well the Wii would have sold if it wasn't for scalpers and Zelda.

I wish ebay would try and be a bit more responsible about this sort of thing. They could either put a cap on how much these things are allowed to sell for or limit how many of them users could sell.
    Any console a scalper bought would have been grabbed by someone else, you know, like those people buying them from scalpers.

And I don't see why you'd want to know how well it would do without Zelda. I mean, I just don't see the point. How well would Xbox have sold without Halo at launch, N64 without Mario 64 at launch, etc.?

I'd like to see how the wii would have done with no games at launch. I mean, then we'd really see how the console compared to the other next-gen systems.

Considering Zelda is Nintendo's number 1 franchise and this is the first time a console has launched with a Zelda game, I think it's a legitimate question.

Lurker on
    fulljokerempireeditcs5lqt7.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lurker wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Lurker wrote:
    I hate to say it, but I really wonder how well the Wii would have sold if it wasn't for scalpers and Zelda.

I wish ebay would try and be a bit more responsible about this sort of thing. They could either put a cap on how much these things are allowed to sell for or limit how many of them users could sell.
    Any console a scalper bought would have been grabbed by someone else, you know, like those people buying them from scalpers.

And I don't see why you'd want to know how well it would do without Zelda. I mean, I just don't see the point. How well would Xbox have sold without Halo at launch, N64 without Mario 64 at launch, etc.?

I'd like to see how the wii would have done with no games at launch. I mean, then we'd really see how the console compared to the other next-gen systems.

Considering Zelda is Nintendo's number 1 franchise and this is the first time a console has launched with a Zelda game, I think it's a legitimate question.

Well the answer is obviously most likely that it would not have sold as well. Which probably answers the question as to why the Wii was sold with it as a launch title. I don't think it's really all that good of a question, no system would sell well initially if the game selection was poor at the start. Isn't that something people have been saying about the PS3?

Marathon on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Lurker wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    bruin wrote:
    Lurker wrote:

Uh, I think Mario is still Nintendo's #1 franchise. You don't exactly see Zelda Hoops or Link Strikers.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's because Mario is inherently silly, while Zelda is serious business.

On a more relevent note:

One of my friends got a Wii because he has an inside source at Target. One of his friends text messaged him at work that they got a shipment in, and he bolted to pick one up. And while that does mean I hate him very, very much, it does mean that, vicariously, I now have an inside source, assuming that all Targets in my area have smiliar shipping schedules.

That aside, how reliable is Wii Tracker? Right now, all it has is a bunch of Sold Outs for Websites. Does it just do online sales, or does it track shipments to the actual store locations as well?

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hey.

hey guys.

:o:o:o

Got the last one at wal-mart.

Seems today was the day for the stragglers to get their wiis.

Got Zelda and I had components for awhile now. Hooked it up to my parents' widescreen in the living room.

I wish i didn't get impatient and spend the rest of my xmas money on other games, thogh FF12 was also a solid purchase. I was looking forward to downloading some VC games.

JJ on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've pretty much consigned myself to waiting it out.

Ugh.

Elendil on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:

Ugh.
    Till next week when they get more in I hope.

Don't lose faith.

Didja hear that story of that guy who saved some dudes life as he had a seizure and fell on subway tracks in front of a train? He jumped down and when he couldn't lift him up in time he held him down underneath him inbetween tracks while the train passed overhead.

JJ on
  • Options
    shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Ugh.
    Till next week when they get more in I hope.

Don't lose faith.

Didja hear that story of that guy who saved some dudes life as he had a seizure and fell on subway tracks in front of a train? He jumped down and when he couldn't lift him up in time he held him down underneath him inbetween tracks while the train passed overhead.

[spoiler:aaf084cdde]
    Neither the savior nor the victim have a Wii.

I'm just saying...
    [/spoiler:aaf084cdde]

shrouded on
    Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    Icemopper wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

If the receipts are from target, contact target customer service, get an email address and show them the picture. Complain your ass off until they do something. What that something is is up to you.

I know Target doesn't have that high enough of presence in that area for someone to get that many Wii's.

Looks a hell of a lot like the Target logo up top though... I have a suspicion this guy may be going to the store in Winona. An employee told me a shipment was delayed not too long ago, perhaps two shipments came in at once? That would explain why the guy had 14 Wiis, he used to only have 6 in his picture.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright, so hunting here into Toronto seems useless.

I AM going to Edmonton at the end of next week, anyone know of a good place to check then?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I live there. PM me when ur in town, I work at FutureShop, I can check our stock.

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oh sweet. Thanks.

I'm going down from 11th to the 15th, so if you hear anything.... :)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not sure where else to put this, so heres my question:

I'm back in California for a few more days, and then I go back to college in London. I've been trying to get a Wii over here because I was afraid PAL games would come out a lot later or just never come out at all. Should I keep fervently searching for an American version Wii? I have no problem importing games online.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Vapid wrote:
    I'm not sure where else to put this, so heres my question:

I'm back in California for a few more days, and then I go back to college in London. I've been trying to get a Wii over here because I was afraid PAL games would come out a lot later or just never come out at all. Should I keep fervently searching for an American version Wii? I have no problem importing games online.

i think someone else mentioned in the Japanese wii thread that the wiis were region locked and there is no way around that.
    so...
    thats all i got.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    JetBlackCenterJetBlackCenter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    W00t, i got one today. turns out the gamestop near me got in 10 or so. But sadly I learned that my router doesn't work with the wii, and I'll need to buy a whole new one or wait it out for a firmware update. damn.

JetBlackCenter on
    schoolrumble4wh6zd.gif341.gif
    BRAWL CODE: 3866-7685-8500
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    dont know if linking to other forums is allowed so ill just copy and paste what some dude on fatwallet posted:
    Sneaky stuff. I got my gf to wait in the car (because parking in NYC is tough) and i took her id and said i was purchasing one for her and me while i gave my brother cash to pick up one. We then went to the car dropped the first 3 off and she went back into the store with him and purchased one for herself and he put the other one on my other CC. By having him pay with cash at first, they can't deny him the second time he's in there because they have no recored of him in the computer.

So 3 on one go, and 10 mins later, 2 more.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PatboyX wrote:
    dont know if linking to other forums is allowed so ill just copy and paste what some dude on fatwallet posted:
    Sneaky stuff. I got my gf to wait in the car (because parking in NYC is tough) and i took her id and said i was purchasing one for her and me while i gave my brother cash to pick up one. We then went to the car dropped the first 3 off and she went back into the store with him and purchased one for herself and he put the other one on my other CC. By having him pay with cash at first, they can't deny him the second time he's in there because they have no recored of him in the computer.

Yeah, for the good of that forum, don't link it. That asshole needs to die.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    PatboyX wrote:

wow. that forums is horrifying for a casual consumer like myself. its just people swapping stories about how many wiis they are able to get in various places.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PatboyX wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    PatboyX wrote:

wow. that forums is horrifying for a casual consumer like myself. its just people swapping stories about how many wiis they are able to get in various places.

As a real-life eBay scalper (bought one on launch and sold it so that I could afford mine), I still think that sounds goddamn reprehensible.

Then again, I felt kinda dirty even selling one.

Though I thought I balanced my karma by trying to tip ya'll off to the wonders of the Wal-Mart 'tard Pack, and how easy it was to get a Wii for nothing more than $30 in additional shipping. I don't think anybody listened, though. And that thing was available off and on for like 8 or 9 hours that day.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mcdermott wrote:
    PatboyX wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    PatboyX wrote:

As a real-life eBay scalper (bought one on launch and sold it so that I could afford mine), I still think that sounds goddamn reprehensible.

Then again, I felt kinda dirty even selling one.

Though I thought I balanced my karma by trying to tip ya'll off to the wonders of the Wal-Mart 'tard Pack, and how easy it was to get a Wii for nothing more than $30 in additional shipping. I don't think anybody listened, though. And that thing was available off and on for like 8 or 9 hours that day.

well, my interest in purchasing a wii didnt peak until i knew i wasnt getting one for the holidays and i had a little extra cash to help me justify the buying of something i dont actually need.
    so...i doubt those tips would have helped...
    i just tried using that itrckr site or whatever. maybe its good but so far its been nothing but false leads for me.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PatboyX wrote:
    Veevee wrote:
    PatboyX wrote:

fatwallet's actually ok most of the time, but occasionally you will get threads where people are trying to do unsavory and sometimes outright-illegal things just to save a few dollars.

thanks to fatwallet, tho, i was able to pick up a 2GB 50x SD card for $20 :o

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    i actually really like fatwallet as a site. this is the first time ive even read the forums. its kind of creepy...i just dont have the sort of resources to work the way these guys do at getting this stuff.
    i guess if i made my living reselling things, then i would pretty much fight the good fight for it. as it is, i cant justify steak-outs and roving conspirator gangs.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PatboyX wrote:
    i just tried using that itrckr site or whatever. maybe its good but so far its been nothing but false leads for me.

Any site claiming to track brick-and-mortar shipments is likely to lead to nothing but heartbreak. That's a luck (and/or determination) game, plain and simple.

Good luck, though. Looks like prices are coming down on eBay a bit, which has to be a good sign. Probably two more weeks and that crap will be over with.

EDIT: I just poked on eBay for a second, and saw two in a row go for about $350. Figure once you subtract eBay's cut (including PayPal), that's only something like $60-$70 in profit...less once you factor in sales tax where applicable.

I'd say that's getting down to the point where it isn't worth the trouble, especially factoring in the trouble of getting them and the risk of fraud.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PatboyX wrote:
    i actually really like fatwallet as a site. this is the first time ive even read the forums. its kind of creepy...i just dont have the sort of resources to work the way these guys do at getting this stuff.
    i guess if i made my living reselling things, then i would pretty much fight the good fight for it. as it is, i cant justify steak-outs and roving conspirator gangs.

which is why i lurk as an unregistered guest :o

also techdeals.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dear Ebay Scalpers,

Suck my dick.

Sincerely,
    a penguin.

Wii Get!!!

I was headed home from work today, decided to stop by Wal- Mart and check for Wii's. After being disappointed, I strolled around the electronics section for a bit, because I realized I had never even seen the spot where they would be should they have them. I had just tuned to leave when I heard an employess say "Hey, we got Wii's!". I ran around the corner, doing my best to not grin like an idiot. I failed.

They go three in. Now they have two.

Once again, I'd like to extend a hearty "Fuck You" to all the ebay Wii scalpers. May your profit margins be that much smaller.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I heard second hand that the Walmart on 82nd in portland gets them in on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. The one at 4200 or so, I dont know about the one on 10000 82nd.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The usual story: walked into Best Buy, had PS3s but no Wiis, and no knowledge of next shipment. However, this one had like forty or fifty freaking PS3's. In retrospect, I should've stacked them up to make a fort to live in while I waited for the next Wii shipment. And yes, I checked to make sure they weren't display boxes: they were indeed the real deal.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Rogers101Rogers101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I stopped by a Target near me on my way to work this morning, the guy there said they get shipments of Wii's every 2-3 weeks, 10-15 in each shipment. He said they get them in over night, he suggested I call first thing in the morning when they open (at 8). He also said their last Wii shipment was 1.5 weeks ago, so I may not have to wait too long. I've got no chance of getting one at Best Buy if they get their shipments during the day and only get a few. By the time I get off work there's no way they'll have any left...

Rogers101 on
    413935705_6ceaa1aed3_o.jpg
  • Options
    TSU0999TSU0999 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys, been lurking for a long time, and decided that I'd post today. If you're looking for Wii's check your local Wal-Marts. I called about 4 of them around here and they all have them in-stock, but I just can't get to them right now. So hopefully they'll still have them after I get off of work. Good luck guys!

TSU0999 on
    ironmansig.png
  • Options
    JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Finally got my Wii today as well..

was just sitting down at my desk when I heard a co-worker yelling "You have them instock!" .. Before I could even ask he was running for the door. on the way out we grabbed another person who was looking for one and headed to Walmart (evil place). They had a shipment of 7 in today. 6 were there when we got there. After that 3 were left :)

Stopped at bestbuy to see if they had DSlites and Wiimotes/nunchucks. They had a bunch of WiiMotes but no nunchucks.. they also had ~40 PS3 systems instock. I was chatting with the guy working in the games dept and found out that BB employee's cannot purchase PS3s form the store still .. even with 40 of the damn things instock!

Now I need to find some nunchuck controllers and a DS Lite

JesDer on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man, I sorta hope that isn't statewide...I just checked K-mart, Target, Best Buy, AND EB. Lastly, I drove past Wal-Mart on the way home and skipped it thinking "if all of those others don't have it, no way Wal-Mart does."

...I really just need to stop with this bullshit and wait until they become widely available.

Darlan on
  • Options
    BbajBbaj Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reading everyone's posts makes me feel like going out and trying to find one. But then reality hits me and I realize that it probably would be a waste of time/gas.

Bbaj on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Earlier today I called a gamestop and they said they'd have a shipment in today between 12 and 2 - I went to lunch at 12 and figured I'd call them at 1 or so to see if they got any in - well they had, at 12:15, and sold them within 10 minutes.

After reading the post above I called every walmart in a 30 mile radius, EVERY single one got wiis in and every single one sold out already :(

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    TabrisTabris Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    March baby, March.

Tabris on
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tabris wrote:
    March baby, March.

I dont think it will be march at all - look at the PS3 its only been out a short while before the Wii (what, a month max?) and there are stacks of them sitting all over the place - everywhere I go looking for a Wii they have tons of PS3s, and its been like that for at least a couple of weeks. I think either end of Jan or the very very beginning of Feb the Wii will be easy to find - shipments are coming in weekly they're just getting snapped up quickly, in a few more weeks no one will be buying them on ebay and there won't be so many getting sniped in-stores.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tabris wrote:
    End of January baby, End of January.

Fixed.

precisionk on
  • Options
    TabrisTabris Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd guestimate demand for the Wii is anywhere from 2x-3x demand for the PS3. I seriously doubt that demand will slack off anytime before the start of February.

Tabris on
This discussion has been closed.