As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Because your MoM was never this much fun!

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    Turbine Download Manager was your first mistake. I've heard nothing but bad things about that thing, and I'm pretty sure there's a way to download the client without using it.

There is. I'll dig up the link again.

Egads, the lotro website is slow. And poorly designed. Seriously, this is one of the worst page designs I've had to deal with in ages.

Anyways:

Direct download instructions
    Is there a way without downloading the entire game again? Or is that downloader smart enough to realize I already have the game and just need a patch?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You basically to have either re-download the entire game or use the download manager. If you've got a good connection, you could just let the re-download run overnight.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, mang. I mean, it sucks that you might have to download the whole thing again, but it's better than having the download manager laughing in your face while grabbing it's nuts at you, isn't it?

EDIT: Also, we're getting close to that 100-page mark. I'll make the new OP and post a new thread when we do hit 100.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jesus, I don't think I should have joined an RP server. I just spent most of my day hanging out at The Prancing Pony listening to people play music and chatting in-character.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bweh heh heh. Welcome to Landroval, sir. The way I figure, if you're having fun with the game, it doesn't matter how you spend your time.

Triple B on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just hate on non-dwarves.

Apparently thats RP.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    New thread title ideas:

[LOTRO] Field trips to Khazad Dûm - watch out for the Ancient Evils - fun for the whole family!
    [LOTRO] There and back again - my Map Home is on cooldown :(

ok, so I don't have any good ideas.

--

I just got 220 Gauredain to go in Forochel before I can move on to Eregion and Angmar. :)

Aldo on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    [LOTRO] Still waiting for Lord of the Flies Online

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You know, for a loner Ranger type, Strider sure gets lots of visitors in his inn room.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You know, for a loner Ranger type, Strider sure gets lots of visitors in his inn room.
    And for a xenophobic bunch of overweight midgets with hairy feet and an aversion for walking more than half a mile there sure are a lot of Hobbits in 21st Hall now.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I just started out my 10day trial last night. Rolled up a mandude warden and promptly played for like 3 hours without moving from my chair. Got to level 13 and I am having a blast! Wardens just seem so capable in every respect, I can chuck javelins or ambush+crit to start and the gambit skills are all useful all the time which is a nice change from some other mmos where shit just sits on your bars for that once-in-a-blue-moon time when they are useful.

Even crafting doesn't suck as much as I feared, although as an armsman I am wondering where the hell to get the wood I need to do woodcrafting. I'm only as far into it as Staddle but I'm guessing Bree has an auction house or something?

oh yeah, and the whole secondary advancement system of traits/virtues/deeds is wonderful. It hides the grind for me pretty much perfectly.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Welcome to the awesomeness of LOTRO, Drijen. I hope you'll choose to stick around, there's still lots more of Middle Earth to see and we, both the kinship and the world, can always use more people to join the fight against the shadow.

You *did* join Landroval, right?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drijen wrote: »
    Even crafting doesn't suck as much as I feared, although as an armsman I am wondering where the hell to get the wood I need to do woodcrafting. I'm only as far into it as Staddle but I'm guessing Bree has an auction house or something?

Yep, Bree has an auction house. It's down at the extreme south end of town.

ydejin on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Pretty sure horse racing is a thing of the past. And yeah, the Forochell cloaks are nice.
    They're working on upgrades to Horse Racing for a future festival:
    Lotro Team wrote:
    Sadly, the horse races are currently disabled. But, they are under construction for future books. We hope to reintroduce them in upcoming festivals with several significant improvements and changes.

ydejin on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ydejin wrote: »

Please not that you can't use AH on trial account. Also, raw mats like wood can be expensive there.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    ImkishImkish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He'll be getting the treated wood, anyway, which will be oddly cheaper. That's a good tip, though: Unless you absolutely need the skillup for turning the raw material into the treated (wood to treated, ore to ingots, etc), you should try to buy the end result, it'll almost always be cheaper. It won't look it at first, but for wood and ingots you need to remember that there's a 2 to 1 ratio. For example, 50 copper ore equals 25 copper ingots.

Imkish on
  • Options
    MoistMoist Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So im picking up mines of moria tomorrow and re-activating my account (this is mainly because I cannot be arsed downloading 2 years worth of patches).

I got the game just after launch and played for a bit before going back to WoW, I am now a bit sick of wow and looking foward to giving this another go, I think my highest character was a low 20's Hunter, or whatever the appropriate lowest level to do the barrow downs was as i got a bow from there.

I was just wondering what would be the most solo firendly class? How's hunter these days? I remember a lot of frustrating pulls winding up in my violent death. Also is there anyone who plays on euro servers? Im wondering what the RP community's like nowadays, I will be a little peved if it is non-existant.

Twisting in further seemingly random directions, I have a prot warrior as my main so I was thinking maybe making a guardian or whatever the warrior'ish class is called, are those guys solo firendly at all?

Moist on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    JohanFlick wrote: »
    ydejin wrote: »

Please not that you can't use AH on trial account. Also, raw mats like wood can be expensive there.

Well, I'm starting up with two other friends but so far I believe I'll be buying it even if they back out so that won't be a problem. I might just snag it tonight seeing how its only $10 right now and it comes with a free month.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh god smelting so many bars. I have like ~140 copper ore and like 60 or so tin. Then I need to make bronze... I might as well go make dinner.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm back from a field trip through Carn Dum (the instance in Angmar) and my one complaint is: Jesus christ how big an instance can you make? :x Look, I understand it makes it feel like a REAL fort, but come on how many levels of trash do you need to give people that impression. :x

We first went through the slave pens for one boss, we had to move fast from bridge to bridge because there were trolls slamming on them. Then we came to the boss and we kicked his ass. Unfortunately the one item i needed from him was also one the MT needed and he won the roll. :( After that we went to the castle itself, killed a few smaller bosses and before we knew it is 01:10.

Did manage to pick up nice new pants and shoes along with some quest items for stuff i don't understand. Also came halfway through neutral with the Council o/t North.

Aldo on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh god smelting so many bars. I have like ~140 copper ore and like 60 or so tin. Then I need to make bronze... I might as well go make dinner.

When I have piles of stuff to craft I usually set it up and walk away. Or read a book for a while.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been playing WOW, largely because it was a good way to stay in touch with some buddies. But now they've all gotten busy and moved on to other things, and I'm stuck in a very unpleasant and dirty desert. (Iraq). Frankly I miss greenery, and was thinking of picking up LOTRO again, if only for the pretty flowers. :P
    So, whats the best server to be playing on these days? (US)

Behumat on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Behumat wrote: »
    I've been playing WOW, largely because it was a good way to stay in touch with some buddies. But now they've all gotten busy and moved on to other things, and I'm stuck in a very unpleasant and dirty desert. (Iraq). Frankly I miss greenery, and was thinking of picking up LOTRO again, if only for the pretty flowers. :P
    So, whats the best server to be playing on these days? (US)

Landroval!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Great to see a few potential new faces on Landroval. :)

All of you who will be playing: send a tell to Hjartad, or join the PA chat channel (type "/joinchannel PennyArcade wang"), and ask for an invite. If there's an officer on, they'll hook you up.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, unfortunately I did things backwards and started playing before checking this thread so I now have a nice warden on Gladden. But hey, now I know what server to pick if I switch or want an alt or something.

Drijen on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd honestly suggest switching before you level higher. Its so much better with a kinship and everything. Not that i'm actually in the PA kinship or anything, but it really is an entirely better game with some people you can know and trust.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, this is the time to switch to Landroval, man. The Barrovian Society is fantastic.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Urrrgh, I'll see what I can do. I have two other friends starting with me so I need to make sure everyone is ok with moving over.

Drijen on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Let me put it this way: When I was playing in the PA guild, if I needed a new piece of gear, I could just ask someone in the guild and they could craft me one either for free or a small donation of either mats or cash, and it would almost always be the critical result that would go for 500s+ on the AH.

If that doesn't convince you I don't know what will.

freakish light on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    I'm back from a field trip through Carn Dum (the instance in Angmar) and my one complaint is: Jesus christ how big an instance can you make? :x Look, I understand it makes it feel like a REAL fort, but come on how many levels of trash do you need to give people that impression. :x

We first went through the slave pens for one boss, we had to move fast from bridge to bridge because there were trolls slamming on them. Then we came to the boss and we kicked his ass. Unfortunately the one item i needed from him was also one the MT needed and he won the roll. :( After that we went to the castle itself, killed a few smaller bosses and before we knew it is 01:10.

Did manage to pick up nice new pants and shoes along with some quest items for stuff i don't understand. Also came halfway through neutral with the Council o/t North.

moar like carn dumb amirite

freakish light on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Work's kicked into high gear lately so I probably won't be on much for the next week or so.

Vray on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So me, my wife, a friend of mine and his girlfriend are thinking of trying this out together. I was wondering if the contacts listed in the OP are still the correct ones to talk to about joining up with The Barrovian Society?

Thanks!

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So me, my wife, a friend of mine and his girlfriend are thinking of trying this out together. I was wondering if the contacts listed in the OP are still the correct ones to talk to about joining up with The Barrovian Society?

Thanks!

Easiest thing to do is type "/joinchannel PennyArcade wang" (without quotes). There is usually a few people in that channel and they can get in touch with any officer that may be on at the time.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moar like carn dumb amirite

Oh god yes...

I'm back from the small trip I was on. Now, on to level 60!

Doomulon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And today I did the whole of Uru together with 2 60s and some other 50-plussers. They were in LFF saying they were going through it for the deeds. Apparently that means you do *everything* and kill it real good. So I got like 10 more fancy titles and upgraded some of my virtues. I think I still need to go through it at least once for some of the deeds for killing n mobs, but I got all the bosses &c.

Also: a shitton of purple items that will probably be appreciated a lot by fellow kinnies/the AH.

Angmar is a crazy place.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KaeKae Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've mainly been running around and doing Summer Festival quests lately. I've been so caught up in fishing and watching fat Hobbits run that I almost forgot there was the rest of the game. Whoops.

I need to get my Hobbit minstrel into the Barrovian Society, since it's pretty much become my main now. Everyone needs more healers, right? :P

Kae on
    LOTRO: Main: Merewin, Filthy Alt: Melilotte

PSN: GetMediaeval
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay so since it's almost time for a new thread, as has been discussed recently...what are some things that you guys think I should put in the new OP? Aside from what's in the current OP, that is. Other than what's already in our current OP, I thought I'd put instructions on how to join the PA chat channel. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank. Let's hear your ideas.

Also, thread title ideas are welcome.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A link to where folks can download the game without using Turbine's downloader?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Good call.

Triple B on
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Turbine's downloader sucks. I download the free trial (1GB) successfully, but at that point the downloader will no longer open a window. It sits in the taskbar downloading, and I can get the right click menu, but nothing else. Eventually it finishes the 10GB download, and now the launcher hangs on "Opening Main Form". Now it's a race between my desire to play and my patience with fixing this problem - haven't bought the game yet, probably won't if I need to download everything again.

Ellthiteren on