Options

On Tiny Computers And My Desire For One

1596061626365»

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zoel wrote: »
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Will a netbook run Dwarf Fortress? This is a thought that struck me out of nowhere recently and it seems pretty important.

yeah but it might be pretty slow (it *does* use your video card), and you're going to have to make numpad considerations.

I always though Dwarf Fortress was more CPU limited though, I'd imagine after you started getting quite a few dwarves plus animals and any roaming critters (or a siege) then it would start to chug.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Zoel wrote: »
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Will a netbook run Dwarf Fortress? This is a thought that struck me out of nowhere recently and it seems pretty important.

yeah but it might be pretty slow (it *does* use your video card), and you're going to have to make numpad considerations.

I always though Dwarf Fortress was more CPU limited though, I'd imagine after you started getting quite a few dwarves plus animals and any roaming critters (or a siege) then it would start to chug.

oddly enough the video card limits it more, iirc. Unfortunately I cannot find something confirming my memory. I think that for some reason it's better at doing some of the physics calculations.

Of course, you could always edit the files in dwarf fortress to do stuff like, not have weather, and use relatively small grids to build your fortress on, or place a lower than usual cap on your dwarfs (usually 200, I think?) which would help you significantly.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    my USB dvd drive (also burner!) cost like 20 bucks

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey whoever was looking for a crazy-cheap netbook, Woot has new eees on sale for $170. They're not the most powerful, but it might suit you.

http://www.woot.com

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey I got my jolicloud invite

Rad

Me Too! on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    once you go through the gauntlet that is figuring out how to install it (its probably not as hard as I made it seem because I'm bad with computers), add us :D

unintentional on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since I'm still having a bit of trouble with sleep mode on 7, I'll just wipe it and give Jolicloud a try once I get an invite

All the cool kids are doing it

Squall on
This discussion has been closed.