As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Heathen (Game Thread)

cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Critical Failures
Heathen, a Dungeons & Dragons (4E) adventure for five fifth level characters

----
For five years, the Hand of Naarash has extended its dark hold over the borderlands. This cult of Bane was born in the Moonsfall Mountains, spreading across the frontiers of fallen Nerath and into settled lands. The cult’s death squads target isolated settlements for “cleansing”—the folk of the frontier given the choice of joining the Hand or accepting the salvation of death…
----

The Party

jdarksun: Kaz-Arg, Hobgoblin Fighter
Dajian: Duen Fallcrest, Elf Ranger
Mr_Rose: Ki-Amar, Genasi Warlord
Hayasa: Aharash, Dragonborn Wizard
SAW776: Deo, Shadar-Kai Feylock Ranger

----

The Specifics
This is a PbP game. I am your DM. Sheets are on myth-weavers. Dice rolls are on invisiblecastle. For now, this is a combined OOC/IC thread. Post OOC discussions/comments/questions/etc in spoilers to avoid clutter and confusion. If it ends up being a hassle, I'll go ahead and split this into two threads, but I think this will help keep the game moving (plus its easier for me to only keep track of one thread).

I expect each of you to post at least once a day (except on weekends) when you're able. If you'll be away for an extended period of time, let me know so that I can make arrangements to keep the game moving while you're gone (or postpone it if the majority of the party is unavailable). I'm a reasonable person, and I won't kick you out for missing posts here and there. That being said, if you flake consistently you'll be removed from the party.

--

This is my first time doing this, but I thought I'd give it a shot. My primary objective here is for us all to have fun. If you're not having fun for some reason, please let me know. Alright, now that that's all out of the way, let's go roll some dice!

cytorak on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Part 1: Frontier Life

You just finished paid work for a town not too far from here. Out of opportunities to take advantage of, you were directed by the mayor to visit Autumn’s Hollow, the village you are currently approaching. Rain begins falling as soon as you see the outlying farm houses; whether that’s an omen is hard to say. You slog your way through the formerly dirt road closer to Autumn’s Hollow. Even in the downpour and from this distance away, the town resembles any other frontier settlement, surrounded by scrub brush and low foothills.

cytorak on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Duen moves quickly along the tree line keeping an eye on his comrades, the forest, and the upcoming farm. While Duen doesn’t let the weather bother him, he looks at the storm soul Genasi and he can’t help but feel their leader is enjoying it.
    Perception Check (1d20+13=20)
    Just in case there is something to see

Dajian on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ki-Amar steps boldly along the path toward the village, occasionally looking up at the rain clouds as though waiting for something. Each time it doesn't come, he looks back at his companions with a vaguely disappointed glance and a wry smile that indicates he's enjoying himself, despite whatever it is about the clouds that he finds disappointing.
    Roll Nature (1d20+3=6) to try and predict the weather. Specifically whether it's going to turn into a lightning storm any time soon.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The storm was a double-edge sword for Deo, who walked along silently amidst the pack, his cloak pulled close about him. On the one hand, the dark clouds above filtered out the otherwise bright sunlight that the shadar-kai did not particularly favor, but on the other, it also concealed his view of the moon.

"I certainly hope this place provides a bit more to experience," Deo finally spoke. "I crave excitement. Anything," he expanded. His dreams had been troubled as of late, more and more the further they had travelled along the frontier lands--it was becoming increasingly frustrating that they had yet to discover the source. Instead, all they had found was long days in the sun and a complete lack of the things that made life worth living.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Duen notices from the wheel ruts near the tree line that this village might be a bit busier than others you've passed through. You are able to steer your companions away from the natural depression in the road and to the drier (relatively speaking) ground closer to the treeline.

Ki-Amar gets the suspicion that this is just the beginning of a dreary rain storm that hangs around a day or two longer than most people are comfortable with.
    Continue on as you like; I want Hayasa to chime in before I go much further.

cytorak on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Side-stepping to avoid a significant heap of dung, Aharash takes a moment to consider Deo's comment, producing some cherries from one of the folds in his robe to aid the process.

In his usual considered and dolorous manner, he finally responds. "Excitement is a transitory state, reliant on intense energy and activity. Perhaps you should instead seek satisfaction; it last longer and relies only on the power of memories."
    I'll have my sheet finalised within 12 hours, sorry guys!

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Deo arched a brow at his draconic companion, a look of incomprehension clear upon his face.

"Life," he replied, "is a transitory state. And I have memories enough," he added, punctuating it with a gesture with his scarred hand. "But they only remind me that I have lived. I wish to be doing the living. Are you not bored of all this monotony and..." Deo paused in both speech and movement, frowning slightly as he struggled to form the word on his lips--"peace?"
    Ha! I was actually just about to post again after having added a bit to make it fit with your ninjaing of me! :P But this works too.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Stop ninjaing me! :) Go ahead and put it back, Saw.
    The closer you get to Autumn Hollow's heart, you realize a noticeable difference in this village as you make your way to the center of town.

What was once a grassy common in the town's center has become a field of makeshift tents. The inhabitants are obviously refugees, as their garb contrasts harshly of the people seen coming and going from permanent dwellings. The number of these refugees is hard to count, The exiles are a mix of races and cultures, but you are keenly aware that there are no goblinoids in their midst.

Beyond the field is an area with outdoor vendors. These shops have makeshift awnings set up to keep the rain off of the various produce and cooked goods for sale. There is one building that appears to be an old farmhouse that has been converted into an inn/tavern. The sign outside reads "The Greedy Sponge" and depicts a pile of gold with a shifty eyed cleaning cloth lounging on top.

The people in the tents and the villagers give Deo some strange looks and hug their children a little tighter to their legs as you pass by. Kaz-Arg, however, garners the most attention. Duen notices that when people see the hobgoblin, they whisper to others nearby or avert their eyes in hopes that the fighter doesn't see them.

A human child with a wooden sword stops in front of Kaz-Arg and raises the blade in mock challenge. "'Ave at ye, gobbo! I won't let you hurt my sisser!"

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Actually, I guess I won't waste the stuff I added. Hope no one minds me posting so much. :lol:

"Well," he said, eyeing some of the various hovels, "I think my fears are put to rest." The word he had fought to say just a short time before, he now realized, was not one he would have to worry about hearing in this gathering of broken hearts.

As the child leapt forward to confront the hobgoblin in their party, Deo could only smile. This was definitely more to his liking.

"I admire the passion, Little One," he offered the boy, "but what has gotten you so riled up? What's happened here?" Direct. This place, these people--he could feel the change in the air here, the dreams that lingered in the ether being bitter to the senses--he had found what he was looking for.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    With his mud stained cloak and unkempt hair Duen would have no trouble fitting in with the refugees if not for the large bow slung across his back.

He slips away from the group and moves quickly and silently through the collection of tents look to see if anyone is injured.

Where he does find them he pulls out an assortment of salves he has created from plants and berries and deftly applies is skill to help them on the path back to good health.
    Take 10 on Heal Checks (21) to provide first aid and treat disease for any of the refugees that need it.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ignoring the child for the moment, Ki-Amar located the nearest stallholder who looked like they might be in on the local gossip and asked "how are you managing to feed all these extra people? It can't be easy, even with a good harvest", trying for the subtle approach as he investigated the stall's offerings.
    Diplomacy check:1d20+9=19
    Also, what kind of goods is this stall selling?

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Duen notices that quite a few refugees are injured. Most of the injuries appear to be defensive wounds on their hands and gashes on their backs, as if they were attacked while fleeing. They are very appreciative of your help, though a few crinkle their noses at the smell of your balms.

Ki-Amar is treated to the smell of nashar, an Autumn's Hollow specialty. It appears to be a pastry that's filled with a mixture of meat and apples. It smells pretty tempting.

The dwarf running the stand is busy trying to repair a hole in the makeshift tarp over his stand so his pies don't get wet. "Most of the new folk brought supplies with them. Some of them seems like they brought their whole damn town, 'cepting the buildings, o' course. They were the lucky ones that got word of the Hand of Naarash before they came knocking on their town."

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Having picked up the scent of hot food, Aharash is naturally drawn to the vendors. He searches his robe for his coin pouch, as he sniffs out the tastiest smelling option available - mmm, nashar. Smiling widely, (a not entirely settling sight), he approaches the stall, interrupting Ki-Amar in his search for nourishment.

"Excuse me vendor, but I wish to purchase your nashar, one of, in exchange for silver pieces, two of. Yes? Also one for each of my friends, four of."

He finally extracts a gold piece from his blood-red robe and offers it to the vendor.
    Sheet complete! Well, except further fluff but that will come!

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=110895

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Edit: I may have to tweak my character sheet in a couple minor ways... didn't realize you had to be trained in Endurance to get the temporary hit points from Invigorating powers. Do you want that sort of talk here or in the Recruiting thread?
    Here is fine. I think I will be having the recruitment thread locked before long.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The child bursts into tears and stumbles backwards into his father. The man pats his son on the head and tries to calm him. He turns to Kaz-Arg and speaks, avoiding eye contact.

"Beg his pardon, sir. He's just upset about the move. We lost his mother to the Hand back in Lindellin, and everyone's a little on edge. They count quite a few of your kind in their number, so I'm sorry if we seem less than friendly."

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Deciding the boy was a little too enthralled in his challenge to the hobgoblin to answer him, Deo moves off rather than pushing the issue. He could leave the fighter to inquire of the local happenings to the timid father, while Deo himself went to look for other sources of information, where ever and however he might find them.
    [url="http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1958503]Streetwise (Find out details about what's been going on.) (1d20+6=24)[/url]

Also, Deo would be willing to offer some gold if that would help reveal anything significant.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The number of refugees is hard to count, since more arrive each day to replace those picking up to head east for civilized lands. The exiles are very different from one another, but they share a common purpose: according to the villagers you talk to, all are fleeing the predation of a frontier cult.

“Used to be you’d only ever see the Hand of Naarash out west and north. These past months, their banners have been flying in every corner of the frontier,” says a older elf woman.

An tiefling overhears your conversation and chimes in. "The cult’s hobgoblins were thugs that a strong threat and a pitchfork could drive off. Now, they fight like soldiers.”

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    "Most generous of you, Aharash, especially since my coins all seem to have stuck together again..." said Ki-Amar, fumbling in his coin-purse.
    Looking up again, he enquired of the dragonborn: "I don't suppose you've heard of these 'hand of night' fellows that appear to be the root of all this ...displacement?" indicating the refugee encampment with a sweeping wave of his arm that barely missed the wizard and the stallholder both whilst picking up the best looking nashar with his other hand.

Totally playing dumb for the stall-dwarf here. I wanna know what he thinks he knows about the Hand. I guess that's a Bluff check? In which case:1d20+4=20

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Deo listens to both the woman and the tiefling, piecing the little bits of information together in his mind. Apparently these cultists had received some training. Deo tosses both of the people a gold coin. "Don't spend it too wisely," he says, "try to enjoy it."

The Shadar-kai begins to walk away and then stops, turning back to ask a final question. "Have there been any notable bands of outsiders through these regions lately? Not the ordinary sort, but the dangerous kind? A darker twin to our own party, perhaps? Someone who could have trained these hobgoblins?"

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The dwarf snorts. "That's Hand of Naarash. Best to not let any of them brutes get their name wrong. You'll be paying for it in blood and teeth."

He continues, "Naarash is supposed to be a hobgoblin prophet or somesuch, but I ain't ever heard of 'em. The Hand of Naarash was a bunch of rabble-rousing hobgoblins that came around about 5 summers ago. Now, it's got members of anyone who didn't flee the bastards or run through with their blades.”

He wraps a few of the nashars each in what looks like a large fig leaf and hands them to the dragonborn. "Here you go. Some people eat the leaf, too. Say its good luck."

--
    The elf and tiefling shrug. "They're all dressed the same, and they all bring death and chaos with them. The Hand just turned from a nuisance into a threat in a short amount of time. It's not just hobgoblins anymore; men, elves, dwarves, even Eladrin rank among them."

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Deo nodded, not really expecting an answer--the frontier was far too wide for a single bad of ill-willed adventurers to be spotted. If someone had wanted these brigands trained, there wouldn't have been any warning, as that would be just too much good luck.

"One last question," the warlock said, "is there anyone in charge of trying to protect these lands? Anyone who is forming up to fight back? I'd be interested in assisting."

Deo may not have had the good fortune to begin with a lead, but a hunt was a hunt all the same, and these savage minions who roamed the borderlands seemed like a perfect breed of prey to quench the boredom that plagued him.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Giving Ki-Amar a bit of a shock Duen appears almost out of thin air standing next to him at the stall.
    He pulls him aside and says,
    “Ki, a word if you will.

I have walked amongst the refugees and done what I can to heal their wounds, but it appears their moral is what has truly suffered here. You know I am in for any job that will pay good coin, but even if we cannot find a wealthy benefactor this job would have other rewards.

I fear that if this Hand hears of this town it will not be long before they strike here as well. Perhaps with your abilities in inspiring others you could find enough militia men amongst the refugees to at least setup a garrison here in this town as a safe haven.”

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    Deo nodded, not really expecting an answer--the frontier was far too wide for a single bad of ill-willed adventurers to be spotted. If someone had wanted these brigands trained, there wouldn't have been any warning, as that would be just too much good luck.

"One last question," the warlock said, "is there anyone in charge of trying to protect these lands? Anyone who is forming up to fight back? I'd be interested in assisting."

Deo may not have had the good fortune to begin with a lead, but a hunt was a hunt all the same, and these savage minions who roamed the borderlands seemed like a perfect breed of prey to quench the boredom that plagued him.

The tiefling rolls his eyes and makes a dismissive gesture with his hand. "The king worries only about what happens in his hallways, not us people of the earth. Unless the Hand recruits a dragon, I fear we are on our own out here."

The elf draws her cloak closer. "This rain probably won't be letting up soon, traveler. Best make your way to The Sponge before you're soaked to the bone. Munt should have lodgings for you there."

Both bid you good day and hurry out of the rain.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nearly choking on his nashar, Ki-Amar sputtered "I wish you wouldn't keep doing that, Duen; it can't possibly be healthy for anyone to be so quiet all the time!"

Pausing, he considered the ranger's proposition for a moment then said "An interesting idea but I cannot form these people into an army from scratch. They need a leader they trust, and I am yet a stranger to them. We need to find whomever is in charge here and persuade them first lest we accidentally build a rabble instead. Perhaps we should try the tavern? At the least we can find food and shelter there, even if the stock of mayors is running low."

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The sky opens up and the rain feels like it's being poured from buckets. Refugees flee to their tents while locals flock to their homes.

A gnoll in a dirty apron throw open the door to The Greedy Sponge and gestures to your group. "Get in here you curs, before you drown!" He growls before reentering the tavern.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Deo arrives back to where his group was gathered just as the gnoll beckoned for them.

"It seems fate would have us head there," he said, having arrived just as quietly as the elf before him. "I was directed there but a few minutes ago myself. I have some news as well, though I'm not sure how much of it differs from what you have found."

The warlock offers no more than that, assuming the group would rather huddle inside than face the storm out while they discuss what information they have.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    "Well, we'd best go in then," said Ki-Amar as he pushed open the door and stepped inside, quickly surveying the room for an empty table and anything else of interest.
    Perceptron: take 10, +1 == 11. Ki needs new glasses...
    Also, I have created a Campaign snippet over at Invisible Castle called {PA} Heathen; if you register w/your forum name and use your character name in the roller, it will auto-update stuff, I think.
    Finally, this is my last post for tonight as I am on GMT here and it is already tomorrow. If there's a plan, it seems to be: "1. Locate town head-person, convince them to defend town instead of running from the Hand. 2. Take nap. 3. ??? 4. Profit?"

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Edging into the tavern behind Ki-Amar, Duen quickly surveys the room for a place where he can keep his back against the wall and will be able to see the whole room.

Once he is seated he will motion to a server to bring him a flagon of mead and a piece of dried meat.
    Passive Perception 23 (also all allies within 5 squares an additional +1 on their perception checks from me being all elf'y)

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Greedy Sponge is well-lit and very warm. A young human couple is playing a dice game by the fire.

After you are seated, a young gnoll girl brings you a platter of bread and hard cheese and a pitcher of a warm beverage. It smells faintly of lemons and has a strange fizzy taste.

The gnoll who beckoned you in harumphs as he polishes a drinking glass. "Glad to see you got some sense in you lot."

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Deo took his seat beside the elf, drumming his fingers on the table for a moment before speaking.

"It seems," he said, figuring he might as well be the one to begin, "that this place is on it's own. The refugees don't seem to have any hope for protection--there doesn't seem to be any force stationed anywhere friendly. And as for this Hand, we won't be dealing with a few rowdy bandits. They've got a military mind at the reins as of recently. Before whoever it was arrived, the hobgoblins were able to be held off by the villagers in this area, but then they transformed into an army seemingly over night."

Deo sat back after laying out what he had discovered, the shadows around him seeming to distend and enshroud him despite the attempts of the firelight to chase them away.

"It appears we have a bit of fun ahead of us, to find and cut out this heart that drives the Hand."

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Watching the other scutter off towards the nearest shelter, Aharash looks straight up into the downpour, appreciating what inconveniences the others - the life-bringing gift of water. In the moist air, tendrils of frosty air snake out from his nostrils when he breathes.

Finishing off whatever remains of the nashar, even that tasty leaf, he casually makes his way into the inn, his robes soaking wet.

Once inside, Aharash quickly spots his travelling companions, and, drawn by the smell of more fresh food, makes his way over there in time to hear Kaz-Arg's theory.

Interrupting yet again, he proclaims "Ah my hobgoblin friend, but what if their leader is a god? Then surely any prophet will be replaced in short order, no?"

Settling into a seat, he continues. "My experience is that negotiation and an understanding of each others difference is the best way to resolve ideological conflict. There is nothing that men of good character cannot resolve over a good meal, one of, yes? Maybe we should talk to their chieftain and determine his goals."

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The gnoll waitress brings you over a small plate of some sort of jerky. "Sorry, we don't have a lot of meat to spare in..." Just then, a scream rings out from outside the tavern. The gnoll, startled, drops the plate of meat. It shatters, spraying glass everywhere.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Following Kaz-Arg to the door, Ki-Amar donned his shield just in case and looked out over the head of the hobgoblin, trying to look a friendly as possible, whispering "Remember these people have taken a dislike to your kindred; we have no need to startle them by appearing to attack anyone without real provocation..."

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Duen looks for a side exit hoping to gain a flanking position if an enemy has gotten into the town.

If none exists then he will follow out the front door and use his quickness to attempt to achieve the same effect.

“I agree with Ki-Amar that we need to be cautious that the townsfolk don’t assume we are a threat but at the same time we need to quickly identify our enemy. The refugees mentioned that they have recruited from all races, but that they should all be dressed the same.”

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Deo couldn't hide the smile on his face as the table jumped to the ready. Coming upon beside his group, the warlock placed one hand on the hobgoblin's shoulder.

"I have a better wager in mind," he whispered, "that I'll down more of them than you." Deo flashed the fighter a friendly grin.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aharash allows a split-second look of displeasure and malevolence to cross his face as he realises that he will need to get up so soon, but once up he's back to being his usual calm and indifferent self.

"I have to say, if this is the Hand causing trouble, I will have to insist that they pay for my meal."

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    "I have to say," replied Deo, letting the rush of a hopeful battle lift his spirits higher and higher, "I doubt their purses will put up much of a fight once their owners are dead."

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aharash sighs "Calm down, Deo. It might just be that someone has fallen off their horse."

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The rain shows no sign of letting up; the track through the center of town has turned to mire. As you approach the common, a shout rings out through the downpour. Sunrods light the refugee camp where a tent is pulled down. Five figures storm through the adjacent shelters as people scatter before them.

The father you spoke with earlier has his arms out to his sides in an effort to shield his children from the intruders. The leader, a hobgoblin, backhands the man with a casual swing of his mace. The man crumples to the ground in front of his crying children. The boy, obviously terrified, temporarily swallows his fear, steps in front of his father and sister, and lifts his wooden sword in defiance of the men. "L-l-leave us a-a-alone!"

The humans behind the hobgoblin begin chuckling. In the glare of the sunrods, you can see the corner of the hobgoblin's mouth turn upward in a smirk. He raises his mace as the boy's sister screams...

Roll Initiative!

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Initiative (1d20+4=21)

Also, another +2 from our friendly Warlord, which I forgot about until after I rolled, so, 23 is the actual total.

Deo's heart begins to pump faster as the battle is truly joined.

"Finally," is all that escapes his lips as he rushes forward into the fight.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]