As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

quick to play games

takahashitakahashi Registered User new member
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey guys. I'm on vacation with my laptop (has whatever integrated graphics that came with 965 chipset). I'm looking for some games that I can play start to end in 15min-3hours on my laptop.
For example, ADOM (but without the ten-key adom is kinda annoying to play) or weird worlds. Any suggestions? thanks!

Edit: I think I should add that I'm not too interested in puzzle games or anything that is typically a browser based game (though there are some exceptions!).

takahashi on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are you opposed to browser-based for technical reasons, or for reasons of not liking most browser based titles?

Also, if you have access to a DOOM .WAD, it's a classic and there are endless engine ports to get it running on your modern machine hassle-free.

yalborap on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hate to start this by cross referencing another thread but have you checked out the PA Indie Game Thread. There are alot of great free options in there.

Off there I would highly suggest Cave Story which is like a deep platformer and Fantastic Contraption, even though you said you don't really like puzzle games, this is very much like Incredible Machine if you have played that.

Also, Welcome to PA Forums.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Prince of Persia (The original)
    Another World
    Heart of the Alien (Another World sequel, although it MAY have been Mega CD only)
    Any good 'ole fashioned 2d beat 'em up.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Get the Commander Keen games from Steam (2 legit 2 quit)

Classics never die.

JAEF on
    edited February 2009
    oooh, Skyroads too. I lost many an hour to that game.

i think it MIGHT be freeware now too.

Also you have Knytt and all those type of games too.

Mr_Grinch on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    oooh, Skyroads too. I lost many an hour to that game.

i think it MIGHT be freeware now too.

Also you have Knytt and all those type of games too.

Definitely get Knytt.
    You can find it here
    Knytt, Knytt stories and all the other games on that site are just so wonderfully weird and beautiful. I just can't get enough of them.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you set the options to faster progression & smaller maps, a game of Civilization 4 can be completed in under 3 hours.

RainbowDespair on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • takahashitakahashi Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Are you opposed to browser-based for technical reasons, or for reasons of not liking most browser based titles?

Not for technical reasons, though i don't like how some of them install weird software in my browser. I just typically don't like them or get bored with them really quickly. There are some games (again weird worlds comes to mind) that could easily have been a browser game but aren't that I liked.

Thanks for the suggestions (everyone). I'll take a look right now!

takahashi on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

too short. :P

Also: Saint's Row 2. Missions are at most 5 minutes-ish, and you can just quit whenever you feel like it, because you're always returned to the hub. Overall it's longer, but you can complete stuff in that time.

Khavall on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    if you have an external mouse, then Quake Live.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Braid" is nifty, quick, and fun, though I'm not sure if it's available for PC, it's an xbox live game, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is available for windows also.

Portal is also an awesome game, quick and absurdly fun. Should be able to get it on steam by itself these days.

Strikerkc on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    "Braid" is nifty, quick, and fun, though I'm not sure if it's available for PC, it's an xbox live game, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is available for windows also.

it's supposedly being ported to PC at some point

zanmatto on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Portal is also an awesome game, quick and absurdly fun. Should be able to get it on steam by itself these days.

Not yet, but it's coming.

For Braid

Khavall on
    edited March 2009
    Rats, that really a suprise. It's an incerdible game (even though I am horible at games like it, I just loved it).

But I know Portal is great, and it must be played.

Strikerkc on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did you read the first post? Guy's rocking integrated graphics. Portal would probably run like garbage unless everything was turned off and he swapped to 800x600, and at that point it would probably still run pretty poorly if at all.

JAEF on
    edited March 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Did you read the first post? Guy's rocking integrated graphics. Portal would probably run like garbage unless everything was turned off and he swapped to 800x600, and at that point it would probably still run pretty poorly if at all.

I haven't used PC's for gaming in years, it's to big a pain in my side. So you'll have to excuse the fact that I don't try to hunt down specifics for PC gaming requirements in every "Looking for a cool game" thread.

He said he was looking for a quick fun game for play on his lap top. I told him about an awesome game that is available and that he should look into it.

It would be one thing if you chose to expand on my sugestion, by sharing what you know and telling him about the potential compications with the game and his hardware, but to get snippy and act like I've commited some diservice to the man by sugesting he look into getting what is generaly touted as one of the best games to come out in recent history, is simply uncalled for.

Strikerkc on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Erm, actually I think your suggestion was a bit ignorant of the original post. Informed opinions are better than foisting personal recommendations independent of the OP's initial conditions, regardless of how "cool" a game may be. That's like this recent thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=84053

... where the original poster says "Not Zone Alarm" and a subsequent poster says "Zone Alarm."

If you respect your fellow mates at all, you shouldn't post in a PC gaming suggestions thread when "I haven't used PC's for gaming in years, it's to big a pain in my side."

It's the forums. It's mostly a "free world," as it were. But interpreting a post as "snippy" (which it wasn't) and then posting a rant about your own ignorance of PC hardware requirements isn't exactly the best thing to do.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JAEF wrote: »

I haven't used PC's for gaming in years, it's to big a pain in my side.

Possibly a pain because you had a machine that couldn't run games people kept suggesting to you? :P

I'd suggest one of the older sim city games. A lot of the scenarios can be completed fairly quick.

Aridhol on
    edited March 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Erm, actually I think your suggestion was a bit ignorant of the original post.

If not having full and complete knowledge of the specifications for a game precludes a person from suggesting it as a great game to another forum member because they genuinely feel that person would enjoy it, then I suppose I have to apologize. But I don't feel it makes the intent of my suggestion any less appropriate.
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    ... interpreting a post as "snippy" (which it wasn't) and ...

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, it seemed "snippy" to me. Seemed unnecessarily degrading when it could have otherwise just been an expansion/clarification on a previous post. It's one thing to express a contradictory opinion (as you and I are doing), but it's another to be impolite while doing so. I felt the way the post was made was impolite. And as bothersome and annoying as I may seem to some people in this thread by now, I'm at least trying to word things so they seem civil, while still giving my views.
    Possibly a pain because you had a machine that couldn't run games people kept suggesting to you? :P

Hehe. When my xbox (and now, my xbox 360) was able to provide all the games that i wanted that were also available on PC, plus the ones I want that didn't come to PC, I stopped messing with it. Adding in that the laptop I had to get for school is more expensive to upgrade or to simply replace whenever it gets behind the curve, it pretty much cemented my exit from PC games. In my position I chose to drop ~$400 for a console every 4-5 years, and ~$800 into lap top replacement every 6-7 years, rather than the $400 on the console + $800 on the lap top + $400 on a desktop and + another $100-200 every year or so to upgrade the desk top to peak performance.

Any ways, if any one feels they want to continue this with me, please do it with a PM or something, we've contributed to derailing takahashi's thread enough for a while.

Strikerkc on
    edited March 2009
    Oh, yeah. Sam and Max (the original, dunno how well the new ones would run for you) and most other scummvm games. They probably couldn't be finished in the amount of time you have but you'll get through a fair amount of one of them.

Doom always keeps me entertained for brief periods, as does Dungeon Keeper (Which tends to work fine under xp).

Oh and if your laptop has a numpad then I recently re-played Ecstatica and had a blast with it. It's controlled entirely by numpad though and isn't reconfigurable.

Other than that, how about sports games? Football, Hockey etc.

Mr_Grinch on
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you have never checked out Deadlock II, I suggest doing it. Its a great game, I could run it on my watch, and works with XP.

Not sure about Vista.

Its a turn based strat game that involves colonizing alien worlds in a race against other...races.

I love it, you should love it too. (Not because I am privy to your tastes, I am telling you to love it.)

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg