As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A brief examination of the shifts from 2004 to 2008

2»

• Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    Why are there so many German areas in Florida?

jews

Why are there so many Jews in Florida?

germans

Obs on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That was pretty funny, actually. Well done.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Here's an anecdote: I had the American-ancestry argument with someone who was quite ignorant about the topic. He literally could not understand what I was asking. I described where my great-grandparents came from before they settled in the US, that I was a third-generation on both sides, my percentage make-up of ethnicity, etc.

This went on for a while, and I could not get an actual response. It seems that, because these people only know "America" they think that their family has been here the whole time. If you're not Native American, you're not American by definition. Your family came from somewhere in the past. Not surprisingly, this person was quite redneck and outwardly racist.

I dunno. By that methodology, we're all African.

Well if you want to get technical about it, maybe "where did your ancestors get the most of their recent genetic characteristics from?" Maybe "in the last ...ehhh thousand or so years?"

Sure not everyone cares about this thing, but at least make a guess that sounds good. Tip #1: Look at your last name, and go from there.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here's an anecdote: I had the American-ancestry argument with someone who was quite ignorant about the topic. He literally could not understand what I was asking. I described where my great-grandparents came from before they settled in the US, that I was a third-generation on both sides, my percentage make-up of ethnicity, etc.

This went on for a while, and I could not get an actual response. It seems that, because these people only know "America" they think that their family has been here the whole time. If you're not Native American, you're not American by definition. Your family came from somewhere in the past. Not surprisingly, this person was quite redneck and outwardly racist.

I don't know why this topic is so hard for some people to grasp. Maybe it's the inbreeding that normalizes all the local genetics into a common pool of sameness.

Edit: I like how the Italians own NYC. Maybe I should move there to be with people who understand what fucking ancestry means. No disrespect howya doin.

I presume you'd have the same rant for anyone that self-identifies as "Mexican"? :P Or Canadian, or any of the north of south american countries? Or "German", for that matter, since that country is younger than the US?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think you're reading way too much into ancestry. I'd probably put down American myself just because I don't see mutt. I'm well aware of where most of my ancestors came from, but they're all over the map with no clear majority winning over. It has nothing to do with political leanings (I'd be even willing to bet the idea never even entered most people's head when answering the question) and more to do with the fact people in those areas don't have a clear ancestral identification that others do.

Invisible on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I pretty much consider myself American. Mind, my ancestry's Irish, German, Italian as far as I know but I honestly couldn't care less about that considering the closest connection I've made with any of those cultures was a stop at an airport.

And also, considering I was born in America, I would in fact very much consider myself an actual American by definition. Native American? Not so much.

Quid on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I don't know why this topic is so hard for some people to grasp. Maybe it's the inbreeding that normalizes all the local genetics into a common pool of sameness.

Edit: I like how the Italians own NYC. Maybe I should move there to be with people who understand what fucking ancestry means. No disrespect howya doin.
    o_O

I'm not sure how you are drawing these conclusions.

I'd find it far more likely that, like Invisible or HappylilElf, people who identify as American either have no defining majority ancestry or don't know/don't care.

Only in America is ancestry such a huge issue. Would you call someone who identifies as Canadian or Australian racist, too?
    Well if you want to get technical about it, maybe "where did your ancestors get the most of their recent genetic characteristics from?" Maybe "in the last ...ehhh thousand or so years?"

Sure not everyone cares about this thing, but at least make a guess that sounds good. Tip #1: Look at your last name, and go from there.
    Looking at your last name is hardly accurate when a) many last names have been changed over the years; sometimes it's just that the spelling has been Anglified, but many people's last names were changed completely upon immigrating either to escape racism or because of pronunciation difficulties (especially by port officials) and b) your last name hardly indicates majority ancestry.

For example, any kids I have will have a Russian last name, despite their ancestry being 50% English and 25% French/German/Irish.

Besides, I'll be encouraging my children to think of themselves as American. Oh, they'll probably use a few English names for things, they'll probably visit England every year, they'll have British citizenship and they'll be exposed to British TV shows and British food, but America will be the land of their birth and upbringing and will have the most significant influence upon them.

Anyway...despite all of that, if I could vote, it'd never be Republican. I also think it's a little disingenuous to associate Republicanism with racism, which is what seems to be suggested here.

Janson on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why are there so many German areas in Florida?

jews

Why are there so many Jews in Florida?

germans

I'll give credit where it's due, Obs drives me crazy but that was worth a report for awesome.

werehippy on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    I pretty much consider myself American. Mind, my ancestry's Irish, German, Italian as far as I know but I honestly couldn't care less about that considering the closest connection I've made with any of those cultures was a stop at an airport.

And also, considering I was born in America, I would in fact very much consider myself an actual American by definition. Native American? Not so much.

I'm trying to find the link from 538 where Nate dealt with this in detail, but while that might work for you I don't think it matches the overall trend. The reported American ancestry trend was almost entirely exclusive to the Appalachia region, and it was extremely correlated with republican support and voting for McCain.

werehippy on