Options

Recent stuffery!

2»

• Options
    squirrelhunter17squirrelhunter17 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I understood perfectly. But shit critiques piss me off to no end.

When I give critiques, I give good ones. I expect no less from others.

If you understood it perfectly when I was brief, then there really was no need for me to elaborate, was there? And because no elaboration was necessary, I guess the critique was fine as it was, because you "got it" and I wasn't being an asshole telling you "it sucks" for no reason? Or at all? And therefore, it was a good critique? Which means, you shouldn't have "been an ass" with me to begin with?

Oh shi-

You thought I was wrong, though, because you replied that it was ANIME, which you wrote to validate my critiques to begin with...though, this proves you really didn't "get" my critiques, because you blew them off, when some of them are, I believe, entirely valid - her arms ARE too thin, for a perfect example.

Oh shi-

Oh well. I'll be sure not to post any more critiques, because apparently if they don't contain superfluous elaboration, they're "shit".

Although, I guess no matter what, you're still going to lash out at any critiques you don't particularly agree with, because
    Ive gotten to many bad critiques to actually care to be nice about them anymore.

Oh shi-

Goodnight.

If you cant elaborate on your "critique" then yes, its shit.

and Ill defend my art until you can give me a good critique, which at first, you did not do. when you decided to give me a critique that actually had substance, I agreed. Thus you're wrong.

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
    If you see a stranger, follow him...
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Honestly, what the hell is there to elaborate on? Your arms, hands, and nose are too fucking thin to the point where it looks like utter poo on a stick. And the eyes are just too big. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be an anime girl until I read what you wrote below the drawing. I thought it was just really crazy skewed.

Fucking grow a pair and stop complaining about shit and trying to justify your bad anatomy in that particular picture.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I honestly couldnt care less about this particular picture. but as Ive already said, bad critiques piss me off. If Im given a bad critique, I simply wont listen.

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just don't understand how what ND said was a "bad critique" ? Because I'm pretty sure that it wasn't. She said what needed to be said. Nothing much more than that.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just don't understand how you considered ND's critique to be a "bad" one. I mean, what do you wanted her to do? Make a montage with a real picture of a human arm, comparing to the one you drew so you could see clearly the difference of size and thus the anatomical error you did?

It wasn't a bad critique: it was a short and complete one because, well basically, the problem on this particular drawing doesn't need an entire paragraph or lenghty critic to be recognized.

Anyway, I'm just repeating what was previously said, and you probably won't listen, so I'll just end this here.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    SpeedKnightSpeedKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's too bad you had to whine and prattle incessantly over something so silly. You're not paying anyone here to critique your work, so if you don't like someone's assessment, just fucking ignore it and move on.

Mewling like a lamb over how someone expresses her opinion gets you zero art points.

SpeedKnight on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wait...so "Her arms/hands/fingers/nose are freakishly thin, and her eyes are huuuge." Isn't elaborate enough? Were you expecting a paintover? How is she supposed to be more in-depth about that?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    ArisaArisa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    How was it a bad critique? Does one really need to hand you an essay to get the point across that the anatomy was off? She pointed out the areas that were lacking, it doesn't require much more than that for a comprehensive critique. Was it only bad because it didn't stroke your ego?

As for anime explaining shit anatomy... no. It does not. You will find some exceptions, certainly, but you'll find similar exceptions in every other stylistic genre of art. It's like claiming that because you drew in a traditional American comic book style that you can churn out work similar to Liefeld and not take flack on terrible anatomy.

Buck up, accept the critique, and learn from it. If you post it here, expect for us to tell you what you need to do to make it better -- otherwise post it on DA, where anyone will coo over anything. Some of your work is really amazing, the manga piece was not. It happens, but you'll get better if you toughen your hide, listen to what people tell you when they're trying to help, and stop being silly about it.

Arisa on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ND always gets the short end of the stick, why is she always the bad guy?

Also, Squirl Hunter... I think she gave you a good critique. If you want her to elaborate on it, just say so. But you must also elaborate your arguments.

Saying 'it's ANIME' is a really poor excuse.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Alright, you guys obviously dont share the same thoughts I do on critiques, so Im gonna let it go and move on.

In any case. My final painting for painting class.

PaintingFinal.jpg

2 hours, Water-soluble oils.

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    SpeedKnightSpeedKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ...Im gonna let it go and move on.
    :^:

You've got a tangent happening with the top of your apple and the cloth in the background, and too much dead space at the bottom. Nice rendering overall I think you could have wrinkled that cloth a bit more (to make it more interesting), and the apple doesn't look as well defined as the glass and bowl/ramekin.

SpeedKnight on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bud.jpg

Acacia "Bud" Budur of Wapsi Square. This comic has a gorgeous art style and an amazing storyline. READ IT NOW!!! http://www.wapsisquare.com/

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Some anatomy studies born from Joseph Sheppard's "ANATOMY: A Complete Guide for Artists"

AnatomyStudies1.jpg
    AnatomyStudies2.jpg
    AnatomyStudies3.jpg

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Katherine Gilchrist from Wapsi Square...
    Katherine.jpg

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    ksblairksblair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    paulwind wrote:
    i mean, that's my opinion. i've seen your work, wakkawa, and there is a level of sexiness, but the fact is that the work is beautiful, and that's the focus. it's just funny to me when people see someone very beautiful in a work of art, and they say "wow, she's hot."

edit: but in retrospect, you're not saying that... you're saying that the model has a sexy tattoo. but i agree, that tattoo does sound sexy.

I think that would really depend on the artist intentions, if the response you wish to elicit is one of a more provocative nature there’s nothing wrong with that. Its a gross misconception that something sexy should be looked down on, or be associated with smut in some way. Sexy is a good thing, and in some ways helps describe something as not only beautiful, but exciting as well.

ksblair on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    New original. A floating demon, resting on nothing but thin air.

Started in photoshop, finished in painter 9, about 4 hours of work. (not counting the sketch phase.)

floaty.jpg

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Junkbotsm.jpg

For the junkbot DSG on Conceptart.org

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    A doodle that I really needed to get out of my head...

Springblossom.jpg

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Fruitysm.jpg

Feeling inspired lately, This may turn into my graphic design project.

squirrelhunter17 on
    Lesson lesson?!
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For me, the biggest issue I see with your figures or any of your renderings at the moment is that they lack any real shape design/connectivity. You create outlines and sort of fille them in with a mess of values, but you dont create 3-dimensionality with your values because they do not relate to each other. At my school they preach that every drawing is made up of three components. Shape, value, and edge.

You see, we first take what we are trying to draw and break it up into big shapes, then we narrow those shapes down. Then we concentrate on getting a big overall two value block in, that is light and dark. We keep breaking it down further and further. I dont know how best to describe this so I will just link a drawing I was working on last quarter but havent gone back to finish. You can see the abstractions/shape design in some of the unfinished areas, as well as line work and some basic values before it gets rendered out. Its important to keep these three things constantly in your mind because they all play off of each other to create a well connected drawing. Value describes the form, shapes contain your values, and edges define your shapes. I am no master but I have some of the concept down.

http://www.powernaut.com/dougwip.jpg

Obviously not everyone wants to get the same look out of their drawing. But these same principles can be applied to get a smooth look as well as something piecey. I hope that this is in some way helpful.

rts on