As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV: Mama, I'm in Hong Kong

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Anyone got any pointers on how to do Saget's fake kick it is really starting to knark me

The description for that in the moves list is totally worthless. I had no idea what they meant. I, also, had to give up and ask the internet.

Yea alot of the challenge mode stuff assumes you're some sort of street fighter wiki. Gen has a move in like his second set that is "During Ceiling Jump" yet the game hasn't shown you a ceiling jump to that point. Also clarifying "linked" or "used as a juggle" would go a long way to helping. In El F 4th challenge I stumbled upon the one combo being much easier when using a wall jump vs a jump in, stuff like this should be demoed or have hints on how to do it pop up on screen every so often.

Yeah, I agree it can be very frustrating.

I know one person mentioned that they actually LIKED this since it was kind of like a puzzle they had to figure out. I have a feeling that they're in a very, very limited minority. Thank god for YouTube!

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone got any pointers on how to do Saget's fake kick it is really starting to knark me

The description for that in the moves list is totally worthless. I had no idea what they meant. I, also, had to give up and ask the internet.

Yea alot of the challenge mode stuff assumes you're some sort of street fighter wiki. Gen has a move in like his second set that is "During Ceiling Jump" yet the game hasn't shown you a ceiling jump to that point. Also clarifying "linked" or "used as a juggle" would go a long way to helping. In El F 4th challenge I stumbled upon the one combo being much easier when using a wall jump vs a jump in, stuff like this should be demoed or have hints on how to do it pop up on screen every so often.

I know one person mentioned that they actually LIKED this since it was kind of like a puzzle they had to figure out. I have a feeling that they're in a very, very limited minority. Thank god for YouTube!

I'm probably even in the exteme limited minority. I like the trials and every day before I go online I do all of Balrog's Hard trials to warmup.

I did this with Rose and I will be doing this with C.Viper soon.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    GrudgematchGrudgematch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If anyone else is struggling with this move aswell I've just seen this video on youtube, quality kinda sucks but gives you a general idea of what to do unlike the command it tells you in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4DaTNHkxZs

Grudgematch on
    Grudgematch.png
    Grudgematch.png
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wouldn't mind the lack of info if it gave me some sort of hint to what it is looking for from me. To me there's doing it to make it "like a puzzle" and there's "tacked on" to me the challenges are more of a tacked on idea that didn't quite get the polish it needed for release. Besides psychic AI that's the only issue I have with the game.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

I'm probably even in the exteme limited minority. I like the trials and every day before I go online I do all of Balrog's Hard trials to warmup.

I did this with Rose and I will be doing this with C.Viper soon.

Well, it's not that I mind doing the trials, it's the fact that the game is unclear about how many of the trials need to be done. For example, there is one with Rufus where you go FA -> some kick -> ultra, but you HAVE to dash backwards after the FA for your kick to juggle instead of forwards. I don't know if I would have ever figured that out, the timing on some of these is so strict that it's hard to tell if you're just missing the timing or doing the wrong move entirely.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got up to 1600 BP last night and then had the bright idea "Hey I'll give Balrog a rest and start playing El Fuerte again!"

Down to 1050 BP.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got up to 1600 BP last night and then had the bright idea "Hey I'll give Balrog a rest and start playing El Fuerte again!"

Down to 1050 BP.

Lol I'm with ya here. I shelfed Abel for a bit because I was getting enraged in ranked playing him. El F I have a blast win or lose so long as I don't get perfected or fight Jump backwards Ryu who seems to have easy wins vs El. I beat like 5 1800 rated Sagats last night. That alone makes me happy. My Abel is so worse off vs Sagat then my El.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Masume wrote: »
    Man, Bison is just too much fun to play as. It's so weird to play as a character whose game is basically movement oriented. Throw headstomps to get them standing, then EX crusher/throw on block. Devil Reverse to bait out SRKs, then teleport and punish.

He's just too much fun to play.

Great games to redfield85 earlier. Your Guile was one tough SOB, and the first one to beat my Bison.

You know why? Because he's been fighting the best Bison on the block for weeks. I chiseled him into a hard core anti Bison Guile badass!!! Our matches are legendary!!!

Oh...FYI, watch it with that crusher, it's too easy to block and easier to punish. Usually it's a good bet just to get out after the stomp block and leave it at a chip...unless their idiots.

Oh no, the normal Psycho Crusher is awful and is best for trading with a jump in, but EX Psycho Crusher is a tool of the gods.

You should add me, mostly because I've got no idea how to fight a Bison mirror match. Tag is in the sig.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can someone teach me how to "tic into a throw" mainly orichi throw.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Well, the basic concept is that you attack your opponent and they block it, and while they are in block stun you inch forward and do your throw. This is a very effective tactic for any character really (can be used with command throws like ochio throw or regular throws), but you are not guaranteed a throw since there is still a window for your opponent to do their own throw or to tech your throw.

You have to get the timing down on it because you can't technically throw until your opponent is OUT of block stun, which is why they have an opportunity to throw/tech you. Once they block an attack though, most people tend to keep blocking since they think more attacks are coming.

If your opponent doesn't block the attack, you will have less luck because hit stun is longer than block stun so it'll screw up your timing.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh...I've been sucking big time today. Lost like 500 BP in two hours. Though I guess probably because I just started playing again yesterday.

Also I've been wondering. How exactly do cross-ups work and how do I do Ryu's? I always end up either jumping right at them or jumping right over their head and missing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Ugh...I've been sucking big time today. Lost like 500 BP in two hours. Though I guess probably because I just started playing again yesterday.

Also I've been wondering. How exactly do cross-ups work and how do I do Ryu's? I always end up either jumping right at them or jumping right over their head and missing.

I think you have to do Ryu's cross-up with LK. You should be ending up on the other side of them but the idea is that your opponent has to block either left or right depending on how "deep" your cross-up is. It seems like cross-ups are a little more difficult to do in SFIV than it was in SFII but maybe that's just me. Also, be careful of trying cross-ups on shoryuken players who are waking up because oftentimes their shoryuken will come out on whatever side you're on so you're fucked either way.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Well, the basic concept is that you attack your opponent and they block it, and while they are in block stun you inch forward and do your throw. This is a very effective tactic for any character really (can be used with command throws like ochio throw or regular throws), but you are not guaranteed a throw since there is still a window for your opponent to do their own throw or to tech your throw.

You have to get the timing down on it because you can't technically throw until your opponent is OUT of block stun, which is why they have an opportunity to throw/tech you. Once they block an attack though, most people tend to keep blocking since they think more attacks are coming.

If your opponent doesn't block the attack, you will have less luck because hit stun is longer than block stun so it'll screw up your timing.

Ahhhh I was practicing it in training. and kept missing, was doing it to soon I see.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I think you have to do Ryu's cross-up with LK. You should be ending up on the other side of them but the idea is that your opponent has to block either left or right depending on how "deep" your cross-up is. It seems like cross-ups are a little more difficult to do in SFIV than it was in SFII but maybe that's just me. Also, be careful of trying cross-ups on shoryuken players who are waking up because oftentimes their shoryuken will come out on whatever side you're on so you're fucked either way.

Yeah. Really it was just me making a lot of stupid mistakes. I see I also have to practice the timing on my combos a bit.

Also...what's with so many Blanka players these days. They absolutely kill my Ryu.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Actually, Ryu's got a variety of crossups. I tend to use a meaty jump-in MK.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, Bison is just too much fun to play as. It's so weird to play as a character whose game is basically movement oriented. Throw headstomps to get them standing, then EX crusher/throw on block. Devil Reverse to bait out SRKs, then teleport and punish.

He's just too much fun to play.

Great games to redfield85 earlier. Your Guile was one tough SOB, and the first one to beat my Bison.

You know why? Because he's been fighting the best Bison on the block for weeks. I chiseled him into a hard core anti Bison Guile badass!!! Our matches are legendary!!!

Oh...FYI, watch it with that crusher, it's too easy to block and easier to punish. Usually it's a good bet just to get out after the stomp block and leave it at a chip...unless their idiots.

Oh no, the normal Psycho Crusher is awful and is best for trading with a jump in, but EX Psycho Crusher is a tool of the gods.

You should add me, mostly because I've got no idea how to fight a Bison mirror match. Tag is in the sig.

I'd rather spend the bar on an EX stomp, it's damage is superb and not only that, it's safe on a block, plus it's his only reliable wake up move next to a port, which is iffy and only good for escape. I don't believe any crusher is safe on block, last I checked. In fact, I'd use an EX scissors before a crusher. Really, I just don't use the crusher much, except for chasing people. In higher tier play I rarely see it busted out except in sure fire combos.

Add me up as well, I've fought an occasional Bison match. It's...interesting. Lots of stomping and kicking. ;)

Edit: Plus, the crusher is easily blocked after you land, even if you hit the stomp, so I'm not sure why you'd use it unless to throw something random in. For DR to port on SRK's, you could just as easily throw out an EX DR for good surefire damage, rather than risk the port timing to a potental combo, unless you have an ultra sitting there.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So let me propose a situation.

Honda v Guile.

Guile SB's me, I either block or FA then back dash, either way he is now airborne and kicking. I standing block, then crouch block to block the 2 piece sweep. Now what? He's at distance and I can't do anything. I tried sumoing, he blocked, I tried jumping in, flash kicked, and sonic booms me and starts over if I just stay there.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Just to further explain, "deep"ness has to do with when you press the kick button in relation to the other player. If you are jumping up and hitting kick immediately, you will not land a cross-up (hell probably won't even land a standard hit to a standing opponent). You should ideally hit kick just as you're over their head for it to work correctly. The jumping MK that Librarian recommended works best in most situations.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Honda v Guile.

Guile SB's me, I either block or FA then back dash, either way he is now airborne and kicking. I standing block, then crouch block to block the 2 piece sweep. Now what? He's at distance and I can't do anything. I tried sumoing, he blocked, I tried jumping in, flash kicked, and sonic booms me and starts over if I just stay there.

punish him after the first sweep

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »

Honda v Guile.

With? If I stop blocking before the 2nd part of that sweep, I get hit.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Honda v Guile.

That, or jump over the SB since you can see it coming with repetition. Go on the offensive and lure out mis-timed flash kicks are your best bet. The butt stomp is also a good bet, but it depends on your range.

Edit: As for the sweep, you can jump straight up after the first kick and hit him coming down, or if you know your moveset well you can sometimes get a kick or even a torpedo in with timing. EX torpedo will blow right through it, as well.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Just to further explain, "deep"ness has to do with when you press the kick button in relation to the other player. If you are jumping up and hitting kick immediately, you will not land a cross-up (hell probably won't even land a standard hit to a standing opponent). You should ideally hit kick just as you're over their head for it to work correctly. The jumping MK that Librarian recommended works best in most situations.

Yeah...I think that's my problem I'm just pressing the button too early/late. Just have to work on it I guess.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Honda v Guile.

That, or jump over the SB since you can see it coming with repetition. Go on the offensive and lure out mis-timed flash kicks are your best bet. The butt stomp is also a good bet, but it depends on your range.

Edit: As for the sweep, you can jump straight up after the first kick and hit him coming down, or if you know your moveset well you can sometimes get a kick or even a torpedo in with timing. EX torpedo will blow right through it, as well.

Ah, thank you. Once I get in the corner and am trapped I get all frazzled :o

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Honda v Guile.

Ah, thank you. Once I get in the corner and am trapped I get all frazzled :o

Yeah, there's an opening between those kicks but it's not a huge one. I can usually hit with a Blanka ball after the first sweep if I do it IMMEDIATELY but if I wait too long then we usually trade hits, which is weird since I should be off the ground if I'm blanka-balling. I'd imagine it would be the same for other charge characters.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    so i just made a "best offer" on ebay for a ryu fightpad

offered $40 when he was asking $99

fingers crossed

Joolander on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I'm going to try to main Viper, even though I'm completely new to SF and I hear she's one of the harder players to learn. I just like the way she feels; I'm not up to combos or anything but I like her specials and range. Any Viper players willing to help me learn?

I have no idea who I'll pick as my second, probably a more traditional character though.

Also, I saw in the manual that you can select different costumes for your characters when you fight. How is this done? I know that some have to be purchased on XBL, but is there only one for each character sans DLC?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    so i just made a "best offer" on ebay for a ryu fightpad

offered $40 when he was asking $99

fingers crossed

Heh, good luck!

Hit HK twice in rapid succession.

I've heard it's got to be like, inhumanly fast.

OK i've been trolling this thread alot since i got SF4, but since i managed to do this, i thought i'd share how i did it. I just remapped all the buttons to HK and just jammed on everything lol...

Haha, great. I really can't imagine the practicality of that move...

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

OK i've been trolling this thread alot since i got SF4, but since i managed to do this, i thought i'd share how i did it. I just remapped all the buttons to HK and just jammed on everything lol...

I did it by 'flicking' my finger (using a stick, tho)
    i put my index finger next to my middle finger - touching - so there's resistance if i try to push directly down with my index finger. i hit the button with my middle finger then flick my index finger down immediately - i know i did it by the sound it makes. this is probably only good with a stick with the buttons and shit.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I'm going to try to main Viper, even though I'm completely new to SF and I hear she's one of the harder players to learn. I just like the way she feels; I'm not up to combos or anything but I like her specials and range. Any Viper players willing to help me learn?

I have no idea who I'll pick as my second, probably a more traditional character though.

Also, I saw in the manual that you can select different costumes for your characters when you fight. How is this done? I know that some have to be purchased on XBL, but is there only one for each character sans DLC?

you can select different colors for the costume by changing the color option after you select a fighter, but before you confirm

you start out with colors 01 and 02

you have to unlock the rest

Joolander on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

My friends list is full and I won't be on tonight, but if you have PASF4 in your friends list I will definitely be down for some matches tomorrow.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    How are the colors unlocked? I was hoping for entirely new costumes, i didn't know it was just the colors that change.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Viper is a little tough, she's one of the worst at taking damage and you have to be f'ing PRECISE to get some of her more damaging combos down. I'm trying to make her my secondary though, so I could probably help with some basic questions. You can find some good information on her here though (as well as all the other characters): http://mycheats.1up.com/view/section/3163881/21109/street_fighter_4/xbox_360#characterselection

There is only one costume per character sans DLC, but there are additional colors (10 I think) that you can unlock by doing survival/trial challenges.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aumni wrote: »

My friends list is full and I won't be on tonight, but if you have PASF4 in your friends list I will definitely be down for some matches tomorrow.

Excellent, I'll add it as soon as I get home. 8-) But be warned, I'm extremely new, so don't expect anything other than . . . well, don't expect anything.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    surefire1982surefire1982 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

OK i've been trolling this thread alot since i got SF4, but since i managed to do this, i thought i'd share how i did it. I just remapped all the buttons to HK and just jammed on everything.

EDIT: Crap, accidentally deleted my post (don't ask)...
    also to reply to the practicality of that move, apparently it's supposed to chain nicely into a tiger knee to gain alot of ground.

surefire1982 on
    Laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forgive, never forget.
    PSN: surefire1982
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You have to pay for the new costumes. The colors are unlocked by going through the Time Attacks and Survival Challenges.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How are the colors unlocked? I was hoping for entirely new costumes, i didn't know it was just the colors that change.

There are costumes available for purchase, $4 for a 5-pack. All but five are available now; the last five will be sold next Tuesday. If you buy an alternate costume you automatically get all ten colors for that costume.

Aside from that, the standard costumes also have different colors, and colors 3-10 are unlocked through time trials or survival challenge mode. (Alternate taunts are also unlocked that way.)

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Honda v Guile.

Friend Request sent!

I look forward to crushing your head :p

Random question, does anyone use titles that give away a strat? I tend to use Devil Reverse/Headstomp a lot when I play Bison, so I used the "You Are Beneath Me" title (because I'm clever, you see) but I noticed that when I used it, people expected my aerials much better. Now I use "Rush Ace" and I've racked up the wins. I'm probably crazy, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    also to reply to the practicality of that move, apparently it's supposed to chain nicely into a tiger knee to gain alot of ground.

Hmm, well, that may be true but the issue I see is that people are having a lot of trouble doing it AT ALL let alone in the heat of a match.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Honda v Guile.

With? If I stop blocking before the 2nd part of that sweep, I get hit.

focus attack works well. It might not stun but it'll hit at least. I tried it in practice mode and it works well.

Since a FA works, you may be able to do a reversal EX headbutt or EX butt splash, or even a throw.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Random question, does anyone use titles that give away a strat? I tend to use Devil Reverse/Headstomp a lot when I play Bison, so I used the "You Are Beneath Me" title (because I'm clever, you see) but I noticed that when I used it, people expected my aerials much better. Now I use "Rush Ace" and I've racked up the wins. I'm probably crazy, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

Haha, that's funny but probably coincidence :P

I use "High Voltage" but I think it's a given that they'll be seeing electricity if I'm using Blanka.

House of Paincakes on
This discussion has been closed.