As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rubber Nipples: Comic Movies, Games, and Television

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2009
    the jailbreak scene is really the only thing like that though

the alley fight is brutal, as is basically everything involving Rorshach, Manhattan, and the Comedian

the prison fight is basically the equivalent of a post-coital cigarrette for them

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Iron Fist would in no way work with realistic violence.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    uh, what is realistic about that fight in grosse point blank?

Angry on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Compared to say, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Romeo Must Die, or the opening fight scene in The Transporter 2?

You're never going to have total realism in a choreographed movie fight. Because it'd really be pretty boring. I'm a big fan of Ultimate Fighting, and my younger brother does mixed martial arts competitions, but a lot of times, it's just not much fun to watch, because 90% of the fight takes place on the ground.

So something like Bourne Identity or Grosse Point Blank might not be completely realistic, but they're about as close as you can get while still entertaining an audience.

Munch on
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Angry wrote: »
    spider-man 1 is terrible. i'm still miffed when people bring it up as a good movie. i loved the shit out of it when i saw it in the theater, but up re watching it on dvd i quickly came to realization that it is in fact awful.

batman begins wasn't particularly amazing either. it was good, but if i was to compare it to tdk then it's not even close.

But why would you? Its a continuation of the story.

bychance on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bychance wrote: »
    Angry wrote: »
    spider-man 1 is terrible. i'm still miffed when people bring it up as a good movie. i loved the shit out of it when i saw it in the theater, but up re watching it on dvd i quickly came to realization that it is in fact awful.

batman begins wasn't particularly amazing either. it was good, but if i was to compare it to tdk then it's not even close.

But why would you? Its a continuation of the story.

what?

munch, the bourne identity fights are must closer to reality, at least 2 and 3, because they were for the most part, not choreographed in advance. that grosse point blank scene looks exactly like it is, a choreographed fight.

Angry on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DraXXXen wrote: »
    2 hours of Megan Fox, wet, in tiny swimsuits.

Prediction: The amount of wood this movie will induce will cause the earth to shift off its axis. Like millions of small rudders suddenly steering the planet towards doom.

Medan Fox is Fathom

I keep trying to think of how this could come as a suprise given that it's a Michael Turner comic.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You could actually see the fight scenes in The Dark Knight. Batman Begins had a wacky, dizzying camera during fist fights.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    You could actually see the fight scenes in The Dark Knight. Batman Begins had a wacky, dizzying camera during fist fights.

Thanks to the Bourne movies no doubt. I don't give a fuck how realistic they are if the camerawork is so bad you can't see anything worth watching.
    bychance wrote: »
    64 % on Rotten Tomatoes so far.

I love how Roger Ebert is just gushing about the experience of seeing it in his 4-star review.

A. O. Scott, on the other hand, seems to hate everything about it and may in fact have to be watched lest he kills Alan Moore's pets, because he goes back to savaging the original story and then laying on every godawful retarded comic book fan cliche in the book like Moore and everyone who touched this movie called him names in middle school.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The slo-mo is really the last thing on my list of complaints about the film, which is instead topped by changes to the story and the woman who plays Silk Spectre.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, Watchmen was most definitely ballin' as shit.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Seconded on Watchmen love. Jackie Earl Haley(assuming I got his name right) WAS FREAKING AMAZING.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Seconded on Watchmen love. Jackie Earl Haley(assuming I got his name right) WAS FREAKING AMAZING.

I was worried that he'd spend the film doing a Batman impression, but he won my over when he started freaking out in Moloch's apartment trying to look for a way out, and every successive scene with him is just better than the last.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I was worried that he'd spend the film doing a Batman impression, but he won my over when he started freaking out in Moloch's apartment trying to look for a way out, and every successive scene with him is just better than the last.

It really came home for me when he was using the voice out of the mask. Like, he's not faking.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I didn't realize it until you said it, but that's exactly the case. It's easy to dismiss it as simple posturing when he's always in the mask, but once it's off Haley really does prove himself as an actor. I hope he gets a lot more work after this.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, Watchmen was great. Been thinking about it ever since I saw it last night. Makes we want to go read it again. I'm not sure who I can really recommend it to, though. It's definitely not for everyone.

What's up with all the Black Eyed Peas as villains lately? What's Fergie going to be in?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Haley's best scene was his last scene or when he'd dealing with the murderer with the dogs. You could see him lose control there, even with the mask obscuring everything.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Haley's best scene was his last scene or when he'd dealing with the murderer with the dogs. You could see him lose control there, even with the mask obscuring everything.

While that was a good scene, I actually thought his best scene was at the end...
    I was soooo worried they'd fuck up the end with Manhattan killing Rorschach which was the defining part of the book for me but Haley pulled it off brilliantly.

Edit: Oops, you did mention the last scene.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was more impressed with the scene I mentioned because he conveyed it without us even being able to see his face, but he really did sell that last scene, and I thought it had more impact for movie than it did in the book. Actually, both scenes had that effect for me.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, that quivering thing his face did was great.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked Watchmen, but wouldn't say that I loved it. It's not really the movie's fault, since I spent a lot of the time mentally comparing it to the comic. I wasn't crazy about the things that deviated from the source material, but I can mostly understand why the changes were made.

I'm eager to see the director's cut and the stuff that they're putting out on DVD/BR soon. I fully expect to enjoy it more the next time I see it.

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I feel like the worst of Internet fanboys, because I feel like I can't even process this movie fairly and objectively, only in the context of the comic. I think I can't make any meaningful statement about Watchmen the movie because I like Watchmen the comic so much. Like, I can look at myself from the outside and see that I'm being terrible but I can't stop being terrible.

Still, though, I think the two things they got totally right were Rorschach (with and without his face), and Dan Dreiberg (although I remain unconvinced that they got Nite Owl 2 quite the way I'd like him to be).

On the down side,
    I didn't like how Veidt was very blatantly an unpleasant, almost sinister character from the get-go, or that they discussed Dr. Manhattan's ability to see all time from the very beginning.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought it was important that they establish his ability to see time early. You gotta remember that not everyone who sees the film has read the book. And I think if they would have left that important detail until later in the story, it would have felt rushed or confusing.

Honestly, I enjoyed the movie a whole lot. I didn't find the use of slow motion to be distracting. Nor did I find the violence to be out of place. (Except for the part in the jail with the dude's arms. That made me shudder).

And I agree with the above posters. Rorschach's face at the end was brilliant. Masterfully played. That one brief moment brought the whole movie together for me. That's my favorite moment in the book too.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The part with the dudes arm in the jail made a lot more sense to me than the scene in the comic.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The part with the dudes arm in the jail made a lot more sense to me than the scene in the comic.
    Yeah, the comic was sort of "I can't reach the lock." "Shit okay, slit his throat. Okay now I can magically reach."

It made more sense to get him out of the way. I never quite got how killing him made it any easier if he was still there.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    While I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, I'm sort of hoping it doesn't become too successful.
    I don't want it to bomb or anything, but I'm slightly worried that two very successful "dark and brooding" comic book flicks ( The Dark Knight and Watchmen no less) will lead to a decade of grim n' gritty 90's-esque comic movies.
    Part of me would also find this hilarious.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think what a lot of people on this thread are missing from people's issues with the violence from Silk Spectre and Nite Owl II is the fact that the overt violence from them seemed to betray the very important storyline plot that Manhattan (and to a degree, Ozymandias) was the only real superhero. The rest of them were pretty much just normal human beings like you or I in capes and masks. Comedian and Rorshach really only stood out by their brutality.

Personally, I think the film was completely saved by the Rorshach and Nite Owl II performances. I feel like they dialed up Nite Owl II / Dan in the film, but I didn't feel betrayed by it as a fan of the comic, and Haley's performance as Rorshach was outstanding. He really did the character justice.

I feel like Snyder went overboard in certain... Syndery areas, such as the slow-motion, the omnipotent blue penis (which was MUCH MORE prominent than in the comic and was becoming more and more distracting as it was emoting more than Dr. Manhattan) and the sex scene. While I appreciate being able to see Malin Akerman being plowed in positions that literally made my back hurt watching it, it was gratuitous and excessive.

The music cues in Watchmen will go down in history for ruining a film though, I truly believe that. While I understand the concept of using the period music, I feel that a score would have made more sense. The comic book didn't rely on period music to help the readers identify with the period, so in the film, it felt out of place and clumsy.

It was a good film (I will eventually call it great I think after getting some time with the DVD) being held back by editing, Zack Snyder's excessive style, and poor music. That's the best way I can really put my feelings about it to words.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm worried about TDK and Watchmen having the same effect on superhero movies as their titles did on comics.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    weenus wrote: »

The music cues in Watchmen will go down in history for ruining a film though, I truly believe that. While I understand the concept of using the period music, I feel that a score would have made more sense. The comic book didn't rely on period music to help the readers identify with the period, so in the film, it felt out of place and clumsy.

Ride of the Valkyries is the saddest thing Hollis Mason can think of, according to the first chapter of "Under the Hood. "

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought the music was fantastic and I intend to buy the soundtrack today.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think we can all agree that the Hallejulah segment was poorly conceived, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think we can all agree to that at all.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Seriously, Geebs?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Seriously, and I would bet that I'm not the only one!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It was pretty bad.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am a fan of Malin Akerman's boobies. I didn't hate that scene.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think the intent of that scene was that what they were doing was fairly ridiculous. They're people dressed in costumes, doing something illegal, in an owlship, and they're in midair hidden by a portable cloud. It wasn't supposed to be taken entirely seriously, and I think without the music, the entire tone of that scene would have been changed for the worse.

I mean, they shoot a flamethrower at the climax.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Actually, the thing that struck me as odd about that scene was that they didn't show them dropping off the people they rescued. It went straight from rescue to sex. I was thinking to myself "Hmmm, I wonder if all those people are watching."

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It might have worked if the actors had chemistry and we'd been rooting for them to overcome their psychological barriers and get it on, but instead it was like watching two random people act like fucking each other was the most glorious thing in the world for completely inscrutable reasons.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Actually, the thing that struck me as odd about that scene was that they didn't show them dropping off the people they rescued. It went straight from rescue to sex. I was thinking to myself "Hmmm, I wonder if all those people are watching."

They did show them dropping those people off, though.

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.